DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Last Night in Soho (2021, D: Edgar Wright) S: Anya Taylor-Joy, Thomasin McKenzie (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/646523-last-night-soho-2021-d-edgar-wright-s-anya-taylor-joy-thomasin-mckenzie.html)

dex14 01-21-19 10:48 AM

Last Night in Soho (2021, D: Edgar Wright) S: Anya Taylor-Joy, Thomasin McKenzie

In the new issue of Empire, we’re celebrating the career of Edgar Wright – the visionary, playful, genre-twisting British filmmaker behind the Cornetto trilogy, Scott Pilgrim vs. The World and Baby Driver. While his most recent film saw him steer into crime-thriller territory, delivering rip-roaring car chases and spins on the traditional heist movie, he’s about to venture even further from his comedy roots with his next film. Talking to Empire, Wright revealed his next project is a straight-up psychological horror-thriller – he cites Don’t Look Now and Roman Polanski's Repulsion as influences – set in London, and starring a female lead.

“I realised I had never made a film about central London – specifically Soho, somewhere I’ve spent a huge amount of time in the last 25 years,” Wright tells Empire in the new issue, out 24 January. “With Hot Fuzz and Shaun Of The Dead you make movies about places you’ve lived in. This movie is about the London I’ve existed in.” The film will shoot this summer from a screenplay co-written by Krysty Wilson-Cairns.
https://www.empireonline.com/movies/...ate-exclusive/

E Unit 01-21-19 04:05 PM

re: Last Night in Soho (2920, D: Edgar Wright) S: Anna-Taylor Joy, Thomasin McKenzie

Baby Driver 2?

devilshalo 02-04-19 03:52 PM

re: Last Night in Soho (2920, D: Edgar Wright) S: Anna-Taylor Joy, Thomasin McKenzie

Anya Taylor-Joy to Star in Edgar Wright’s Thriller ‘Last Night in Soho’ (EXCLUSIVE)
By JUSTIN KROLL @krolljvar

“Glass” star Anya Taylor-Joy will play one of the leads in Edgar Wright’s next film, “Last Night in Soho,” sources tell Variety.

Wright and “Penny Dreadful” writer Krysty Wilson-Cairns penned the script for the movie — a Focus and Working Title co-production.

Described as a psychological horror-thriller, exact plot details are unknown other then the story being set in London’s Soho district. Production is expected to start this summer in London.

Following the success of the Sony actioner “Baby Driver,” Wright had been weighing several projects, including a sequel to the Ansel Elgort-starrer. He recently told Empire Magazine that “Last Night in Soho” would be his next pic, and that he also had a draft ready for the next installment in the “Baby Driver” series.

Taylor-Joy’s star has been on the rise since breaking out in the Sundance darling “The Witch,” which led to her landing the role in “Split.” The success of that film has since made her one of the more coveted young talents in town, with roles in Fox’s “The New Mutants” and the Netflix series “The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance.”

She most recently reprised her role as Casey Cooke in the “Split” sequel “Glass,” which has become another hit in the franchise. She is repped by CAA and Troika.

Groucho 02-04-19 04:12 PM

Only Soho movie I need is After Hours. NEXT!

dex14 02-04-19 04:41 PM

Even more exciting.

dex14 06-25-19 01:23 PM

Edgar Wright’s “Last Night in Soho” has rounded out its cast, with veteran actors Diana Rigg and Terence Stamp among the stars signing on for the latest movie from the “Baby Driver” director.

Stamp can currently be seen in Netflix hit “Murder Mystery” with Adam Sandler and Jennifer Aniston. Rigg’s recent roles include Olenna Tyrell in HBO’s “Game of Thrones.” The British star of stage and screen also picked up the Variety Icon Award in Cannes earlier this year.

The roster of other talent coming on board “Last Night in Soho,” which is being produced by Wright and Working Title Films, includes Rita Tushingham (“Doctor Zhivago”), Michael Ajao (“Attack the Block”) and Synnøve Karlsen (“Medici”).

The new names join the previously announced Anya Taylor-Joy, Thomasin Harcourt McKenzie and Matt Smith in the film. Production is underway on the London-set psychological thriller, which Wright is directing from a screenplay he co-wrote with “Penny Dreadful” scribe Krysty Wilson-Cairns. Nira Park, Tim Bevan, Eric Fellner and Wright are producing.

Plot and character details are being kept tightly under wraps. Shooting in recent days has taken place in the titular Soho district in Central London. Focus Features and Film4 co-financed the film, and Focus and Universal Pictures International will distribute it worldwide.

Stamp is represented by United Agents and Authentic Talent Management. Rigg is represented by Dalzell and Beresford. Tushingham is represented by Milburn Browning Associates, Ajao by United Agents, and Karlsen by Independent Talent and Anonymous Content.
https://variety.com/2019/film/news/e...ho-1203251366/

islandclaws 06-25-19 03:44 PM

Didn't like Baby Drivel at all but always willing to give a new Wright film a look.

dex14 10-29-19 09:21 AM

Following the Cornetto Trilogy, Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World, and Baby Driver, Edgar Wright is entering different territory for his sixth feature film (seventh, if we’re counting A Fistful Of Fingers). His upcoming movie Last Night In Soho will be an all-out psychological horror, eschewing the laughs of Shaun Of The Dead for a more hardened genre exploration set in the seedy, neon-lit heart of London. Details on the film’s plot remain under wraps for now – but in Empire’s 2020 Preview Issue, we have an exclusive look at the director on set with one of his leading ladies, Anya Taylor-Joy’s Sandy. And yes, if she looks like her character, Sandy, hails from the 1960s, that’s for a very good reason.

https://cdn.onebauer.media/one/media...fit&format=jpg

For much of Wright’s movie takes place in the London of the Swinging Sixties; a time period with which his lead character, Thomasin McKenzie’s Eloise, is obsessed and, through a mysterious connection with Taylor-Joy’s character, gets to experience.

“There’s something I have in common with the lead character in that I’m afflicted with nostalgia for a decade I didn’t live in,” Wright tells Empire. “You think about ‘60s London – what would that be like? Imagine if you knew everything you knew now, and went back. I’m taking a premise whereby you have a character who, in a sort of abstract way, gets to travel in time. And the reality of the decade is maybe not what she imagines. It has an element of ‘be careful what you wish for’.” Plenty to ponder there – and of course it makes total sense that Wright is once again twisting his genres, as he’s tended to across the rest of his work.
https://www.empireonline.com/movies/...clusive-image/

Toddarino 10-29-19 11:45 AM

re: Last Night in Soho (2021, D: Edgar Wright) S: Anya Taylor-Joy, Thomasin McKenzie

Like QT, I’ll see anything Edgar Wright does. Odds are I’ll love it.

Dr. Mantle 10-30-19 03:25 AM

re: Last Night in Soho (2021, D: Edgar Wright) S: Anya Taylor-Joy, Thomasin McKenzie

I'm starting to lose interest in Wright. He knocked it out of the park with Shaun of the Dead. Every time I see it I'm amazed at the perfect pacing of the story and perfect timing of every single joke. I don't think there's a single thing you could change about Shaun that would improve it in any way.

Hot Fuzz I didn't really get. It kinda felt like Buckaroo Banzai where it has the rhythm of a comedy, but all the punchlines removed. Driver and Scott were both fun, but really wore out their welcome at nearly two hours.

The World's End is one of the few times I got actively angry at a movie over how bad it was. Every decision made by every character seemed to be the stupidest, most annoying thing they could possibly do.

If Wright is backing away from comedy/action/satire for at least one film, I'm willing to get my hopes up.

DWilson 11-01-19 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by Dr. Mantle (Post 13632177)
I'm starting to lose interest in Wright. He knocked it out of the park with Shaun of the Dead. Every time I see it I'm amazed at the perfect pacing of the story and perfect timing of every single joke. I don't think there's a single thing you could change about Shaun that would improve it in any way.

Hot Fuzz I didn't really get. It kinda felt like Buckaroo Banzai where it has the rhythm of a comedy, but all the punchlines removed. Driver and Scott were both fun, but really wore out their welcome at nearly two hours.

The World's End is one of the few times I got actively angry at a movie over how bad it was. Every decision made by every character seemed to be the stupidest, most annoying thing they could possibly do.

If Wright is backing away from comedy/action/satire for at least one film, I'm willing to get my hopes up.

You didn't mention "Scott Pilgrim" or "Baby Driver". I need to take another look at "Pilgrim", but I enjoyed "Driver" more the second time I saw it.

RichC2 11-01-19 07:58 AM

I personally loved Shaun, Pilgrim and Driver, was lukewarm with Hot Fuzz and World's End. And I'm glad he finally gets to flesh out Don't.

dex14 01-21-21 08:32 PM

dex14 05-23-21 03:08 PM

dex14 05-25-21 10:08 AM

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...2c41cc3ff.jpeg

In theaters this October.

Edgar Wright’s psychological thriller about a young girl, passionate in fashion design, who is mysteriously able to enter the 1960s where she encounters her idol, a dazzling wannabe singer. But 1960s London is not what it appears, and time seems to fall apart with shady consequences…

RichC2 05-25-21 10:52 AM

But I want it NOW :(

reminds me a bit of I Know Who Killed Me but, you know, potentially good.

Toddarino 05-25-21 02:44 PM

I can’t fucking wait.

Hazel Motes 05-25-21 08:33 PM

I'm getting real Neon Demon/Brian De Palma vibes from this. I'm hopeful, but the only really excellent film Wright has made remains to be Shaun of the Dead. I thought Baby Driver was a rip off of a rip off of a remake of a ripoff of a script that Quentin Tarintino threw out after his first draft.

lwhy? 05-25-21 09:45 PM

I'll definitely watch this when it comes out, but the Downtown song choice in the trailer is a little insensitive. That's the song the Nashville bomber played from his RV before he blew up a couple of city blocks on Christmas.... https://www.tennessean.com/story/new...on/4052995001/

Toddarino 05-25-21 09:56 PM

This doesn’t take place anywhere near Tennessee though. Nor does it involve a bomber of any kind as far as I’m aware.

RichC2 05-25-21 10:00 PM

Yeah, I'm going to agree that insensitive is a little bit of a stretch there. And it's literally one of the most famous songs of the last hundred years.

But I guess everything is bound to be insensitive in some manner.

dex14 05-25-21 10:11 PM

A bit of a stretch? It’s a huge leap.

Decker 05-26-21 12:52 AM

Hey think of all the people who died senselessly in that bombing - all one guy, the bomber. How can anyone be so insensitive to his memory?

lwhy? 05-26-21 06:07 PM

Many businesses and homes were destroyed. It could trigger those victims. People had to run and evacuate their homes snd businesses while that song was playing, it was only five months ago and Edgar Wright might not have even heard of the bombing, but other people in the know (executives, etc) should have decided not to use it. It’s too soon. I was talking to some other people at work and we were discussing how it was in poor taste.

JayTL 09-01-21 08:42 AM

...anyways.

I think this is my most anticipated movie coming out. I can't wait