DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   The Witches -- remake (2020, D: Zemeckis) S: Hathaway, Spencer, Tucci (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/646463-witches-remake-2020-d-zemeckis-s-hathaway-spencer-tucci.html)

dex14 01-16-19 02:43 PM

The Witches -- remake (2020, D: Zemeckis) S: Hathaway, Spencer, Tucci

Anne Hathaway has closed a deal to star as the Grand High Witch in Robert Zemeckis and Warner Bros.’ “The Witches” adaptation.

Variety first reported that Hathaway was holding the offer for both that and “Sesame Street,” and at the time, scheduling for both films were holding up dealmaking. With those issues settled, Hathaway is now set to star in the role originally portrayed by Anjelica Huston in the 1990 classic.

Based on the 1973 novel, the film follows a 7-year-old boy who has a run in with real-life witches. Warner Bros. had previously adapted the book in 1990 with Huston playing one of the title characters, but sources close to the project say Zemeckis’ version will be more rooted in the original source material, while the Huston pic was a loose adaptation.

Zemeckis will also pen the script as well as produce with his partner Jack Rapke through their banner ImageMovers, along with Alfonso Cuaron and Guillermo del Toro.

Hathaway is currently filming the untitled DuPont film at Participant. Hathaway and WB are coming off their summer hit “Ocean’s 8,” a spinoff of the “Ocean’s Eleven” movies. She can next be seen in the thriller “Serenity” and the comedy “The Hustle,” and recently wrapped production on the Netflix drama “The Last Thing He Wanted.”

She is repped by CAA and Management 360.
https://variety.com/2019/film/news/a...is-1203109856/

joe_b 02-13-19 04:53 AM

re: The Witches -- remake (2020, D: Zemeckis) S: Hathaway, Spencer, Tucci

Octavia Spencer is in talks to star opposite Anna Hathaway in Robert Zemeckis’ adaptation of "The Witches." Sources say “Black-ish” creator Kenya Barris is on board to co-write the script with Zemeckis.

Newcomers Jahzir Bruno and Codie-Lei Eastick are also negotiations to join the cast, Variety has learned.

Based on the 1973 novel, the film follows a 7-year-old boy (Bruno) who has a run in with real-life witches. Warner Bros. had previously adapted the book in 1990 with Anjelica Huston playing one of the title characters, but sources close to the project say Zemeckis’ version will be more rooted in the original source material, while Huston’s version was a loose adaptation.

Spencer will play the grandmother of Bruno’s character, and Eastick is portraying the other boy who has a run in with the Witches.
https://variety.com/2019/film/news/o...on-1203137491/

dex14 10-02-20 08:21 AM

Re: The Witches -- remake (2020, D: Zemeckis) S: Hathaway, Spencer, Tucci

Coming to HBOMax on October 22nd.

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...a6116764fe.jpg

From Oscar-winning director Robert Zemeckis (“Forrest Gump”) comes the fantasy adventure “Roald Dahl’s The Witches.” The film stars Oscar winners Anne Hathaway (“Les Misérable,” “Ocean’s 8”) and Octavia Spencer (“The Help,” “The Shape of Water”), Oscar nominee Stanley Tucci (“The Hunger Games” films, “The Lovely Bones”), with Kristin Chenoweth (TV’s “Glee” and “BoJack Horseman”) and award-winning comedy legend Chris Rock. Newcomer Jahzir Kadeem Bruno (TV’s “Atlanta”) also stars, alongside Codie-Lei Eastick (“Holmes & Watson”).

Reimagining Dahl’s beloved story for a modern audience, Zemeckis’s visually innovative film tells the darkly humorous and heartwarming tale of a young orphaned boy (Bruno) who, in late 1967, goes to live with his loving Grandma (Spencer) in the rural Alabama town of Demopolis. As the boy and his grandmother encounter some deceptively glamorous but thoroughly diabolical witches, she wisely whisks our young hero away to an opulent seaside resort. Regrettably, they arrive at precisely the same time that the world’s Grand High Witch (Hathaway) has gathered her fellow cronies from around the globe—undercover—to carry out her nefarious plans.

Based on the book by Roald Dahl, the screenplay is by Robert Zemeckis & Kenya Barris (TV’s “black-ish,” “Shaft”) and Oscar winner Guillermo del Toro (“The Shape of Water”). Zemeckis is also producing, alongside Jack Rapke, del Toro, Alfonso Cuarón and Luke Kelly. Serving as executive producers are Jacqueline Levine, Marianne Jenkins, Michael Siegel, Gideon Simeloff and Cate Adams.

Zemeckis’s behind-the-scenes team includes a roster of his frequent collaborators, including Oscar-nominated director of photography Don Burgess (“Forrest Gump”), production designer Gary Freeman, editors Jeremiah O’Driscoll and Ryan Chan, Oscar-nominated costume designer Joanna Johnston (“Allied,” “Lincoln”), and Oscar-nominated composer Alan Silvestri (“Polar Express,” “Forrest Gump”).

Warner Bros. Pictures Presents, an Image Movers/Necropia/Experanto Filmoj Production, a Robert Zemeckis Film, “Roald Dahl’s The Witches.”

RichC2 10-02-20 05:11 PM

Looks comparable to Burtons version of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory vs the OG

joe_b 10-02-20 06:14 PM

God, this looks horrible... and the Chris Rock narration doesn't help the tone at all. I'll only check it out because I have HBO for the next year due to Spectrum revoking my old Time Warner channel line-up. They did this without my consent (losing me about 50 channels in the process, including my beloved TCM) when I inquired about a better rate for bundled services. They were even going to raise the price $30 more a month than I had been paying! "Less For More" should be that company's slogan.

I threatened to cancel if they didn't restore my grandfathered plan, but they insisted they couldn't. So they basically signed me up for several premium channels and a sports tier I didn't ask for (the charges for these are right there on my latest statement) and applied promotional discounts to cancel out the additional cost for one year. Not the solution I wanted and I'm still infuriated about how it went down. I'll just enjoy HBO Max for the next year while I search for a less crooked TV and Internet provider - though I doubt I'll have much luck in that regard. Sorry to go off on a tangent there.

I do think the Nicolas Roeg movie holds up well, even with the alternate "happy" ending (though the Chris Rock voiceover in the new trailer suggests they didn't keep Roald Dahl's ending for this version either). I remember getting my second grade teacher to read the book to our class. We got to watch the 1990 movie afterwards. Our teacher preferred the movie ending. I thought they should have stuck to the book, as it's more bittersweet. Still, the students enjoyed the story so much that our teacher said she was going to read it to her classroom every year. So I guess I helped kick off a tradition there. Good memories.

Giantrobo 10-02-20 10:36 PM

This looks about as fun, in a kid movie type of way, as the original. :up: love seeing Hathaway...and Hathaway and Tucci together again. Spencer will give the grandma role some real heart.

Why So Blu? 10-02-20 11:50 PM

I think this is a strange out of left-field remake. Hathaway looks sexy as hell in an almost reverse Joker way. She has a purple outfit and a cheshire smile to boot. Also, the screenplay is by Zemeckis, Barris, and GDT? Sign me up!

October is the month that keeps on giving in terms of streaming options this year!

tiloup13 10-03-20 12:11 AM

I'm intrigued but the CGI looks horrible.

Koby 10-03-20 12:52 AM

Very much enjoy the original, but this remake seems like it'll be garbage.

GoldenJCJ 10-03-20 06:03 PM

Looks alright but I’d much prefer Jim Henson mice over shitty CGI mice.

Anne Hathaway looks like she’s having fun with her role. :up:

MLBFan24 10-03-20 11:48 PM

I didn’t even know a remake was made. But I saw the 1990 version many times when I was a child, but haven’t seen it since.

davidh777 11-29-20 12:37 AM

Just saw this and thought it was fine. Spencer and Hathaway were good. For some reason, I never saw the earlier film (or read the book). :shrug:

Runaway 11-29-20 03:32 AM

I've watched the original version once, when I was about 10 years old. It creeped the hell out of me. Now I've seen the new version. I liked everything with Octavia Spencer, but Anne Hathaway was over the top. Even Nicolas Cage could say tone it down a notch. The next day I watched the first version for the first time in nearly 30 years. It's a way better movie and Anjelica Hustons performance is a lot scarier.

Daytripper 11-29-20 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by Runaway (Post 13850248)
I've watched the original version once, when I was about 10 years old. It creeped the hell out of me. Now I've seen the new version. I liked everything with Octavia Spencer, but Anne Hathaway was over the top. Even Nicolas Cage could say tone it down a notch. The next day I watched the first version for the first time in nearly 30 years. It's a way better movie and Anjelica Hustons performance is a lot scarier.

Same. Like someone mentioned above, Hathaway definitely looked like she was having a blast playing this part, but it was just too much. Spencer was a joy as always.