DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Ghostbusters: Afterlife (2021, D: Jason Reitman) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/646449-ghostbusters-afterlife-2021-d-jason-reitman.html)

MysterioMan007 12-16-19 10:01 AM

re: Ghostbusters: Afterlife (2021, D: Jason Reitman)

And then Gremlins was released on the same day...double risk.

devilshalo 12-16-19 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by MysterioMan007 (Post 13656261)
And then Gremlins was released on the same day...double risk.

Gremlins got help from test screenings. I remember seeing it before it had a release date.

Obi-Wanma 12-16-19 11:11 AM

See Gremlins did scare me as a kid. Ghostbusters did not.

Michael Corvin 12-16-19 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni (Post 13656306)

Same.

Draven 12-16-19 11:50 AM

Well Gremlins is technically a monster movie, complete with murders and graphic violence and scares.

Mike86 12-16-19 12:28 PM

Yeah, Gremlins is actually a fairly dark movie in my opinion. Some pretty gross parts and grisly deaths for the type of movie it is.

d2cheer 12-16-19 01:28 PM

Not to derail the thread but I remember watching Gremlins with with my son who had not seen it when it came out on DVD. I had not seen it since it came to the movie theater. He was 5 or 6 and terrified when he saw it. Here I thought I was showing some cuddly little cute movie. :lol: My memory of it was not good at all.

Jay G. 12-16-19 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by d2cheer (Post 13656371)
Here I thought I was showing some cuddly little cute movie. :lol: My memory of it was not good at all.

Gremlins is cute up until the duplicate Mogwais turn into Gremlin. Then there's some stuff that's legitimately scary for a kid, as well as gross.

Gremlins and Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom are cited as the two movies that prompted the MPAA to create the PG-13 rating:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motion...e_PG-13_rating

Interestingly, Ghostbusters isn't typically mentioned as a movie that should've gotten a PG-13, if that rating had existed then. I don't think people view it as intense as those other two films.

brayzie 12-16-19 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man (Post 13654085)
The original Ghostbusters pulled off a really incredible feat... it really blended comedy with action adventure/scifi/horror perfectly and seamlessly. The film could be viewed as either a comedy or a genre adventure; it carried and blended both things so well that it could be both Animal House and Raiders of the Lost Ark at the same time.

I think this is the best way to explain the success of the original Ghostbusters.

Push the comedy a little more, and it falls apart (see the 2016 Ghostbusters reboot); push the horror a little more and it falls apart again. It also blended the cartoony (Slimer, Marshmallow Man) and creepy (the cab driver, Zuul) to the point where both poles felt natural together.
I think agree that pushing the comedy too much at the expense of the adventure/horror/fantasy hurt that film.
And I think that if they push the nostalgia/Stranger Things-angle too far at the expense of quirky comedy that might hurt this one.

windom 01-23-20 12:07 PM

Some confirmation that Murry is in this movie: https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood...ters-afterlife

Goonies85 01-23-20 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by Jay G. (Post 13656379)
Gremlins is cute up until the duplicate Mogwais turn into Gremlin. Then there's some stuff that's legitimately scary for a kid, as well as gross.

Gremlins and Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom are cited as the two movies that prompted the MPAA to create the PG-13 rating:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motion...e_PG-13_rating

Interestingly, Ghostbusters isn't typically mentioned as a movie that should've gotten a PG-13, if that rating had existed then. I don't think people view it as intense as those other two films.

I think Poltergeist was also in the discussion for why a PG-13 rating was needed...

Shannon Nutt 01-23-20 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by windom (Post 13675873)
Some confirmation that Murry is in this movie: https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood...ters-afterlife

The author (Anthony Breznican) notes that the original actors only showed up for one or two days each of filming...which indicates they're not having much more than cameos in the new movie. Hopefully they WON'T make the mistake that The Force Awakens did and fail to have them all share the screen together...that would be unforgivable.

Anyway, sounds like Murray's participation is more similar to, say, Billy Dee Williams' screentime in Rise of Skywalker than Harrison Ford's screentime in The Force Awakens.

devilshalo 06-10-20 07:00 PM

Re: Ghostbusters: Afterlife (2021, D: Jason Reitman)

As good a place as any since they'll probably talk about it.

Let's see if Gadd can get Moranis like Disney+ did.

devilshalo 06-15-20 01:45 PM

Funny that they get Ray Parker Jr and not talk about the Huey Lewis song. ;)

Bluelitespecial 10-22-20 08:01 AM

It's now being pushed back to June 11, 2021. This was the one movie I was really looking forward to in 2020 when it was originally supposed to be released but it's being pushed back to the date that is also the 37th anniversary of the original movie's release date.
https://deadline.com/2020/10/ghostbu...21-1234601370/

E Unit 10-22-20 08:26 AM

There was no way this would have opened in 2020 with everything going on.

ddrknghtrtns 10-22-20 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by d2cheer (Post 13656371)
Not to derail the thread but I remember watching Gremlins with with my son who had not seen it when it came out on DVD. I had not seen it since it came to the movie theater. He was 5 or 6 and terrified when he saw it. Here I thought I was showing some cuddly little cute movie. :lol: My memory of it was not good at all.

I had the toys when I was kid. Always made damn sure to keep them away from water, was overly cautious about letting the toys come into contact with any food after midnight and when I was finished playing with them, I kept them hidden in a cabinet to limit harsh exposure to bright lights. Even funnier part is, my brother came along a decade later and would play with them the exact same way. My mom always "loved" finding the toys resting inside a pot or cabinet in the morning.

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...3ccbba174.jpeg

Hazel Motes 10-22-20 01:11 PM

Like I said on another board. I'm just glad the movie is in the can because no matter how many times they delay it, Billy, Danny and the gang won't be getting any older.

Michael Corvin 10-22-20 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by Hazel Motes (Post 13828219)
Like I said on another board. I'm just glad the movie is in the can because no matter how many times they delay it, Billy, Danny and the gang won't be getting any older.

Older? I'm pretty sure that's how time works. :lol:

Obi-Wanma 10-22-20 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin (Post 13828354)
Older? I'm pretty sure that's how time works. :lol:

He's talking about in the movie, which is already shot.

Michael Corvin 10-22-20 09:03 PM

Ahh, got it. That totally flew over my head.

Bluelitespecial 10-23-20 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni (Post 13656306)

I remember watching Ghostbusters on VHS when I was really young and watched the whole movie up until when Peck and his crew shutdown the ghost containment storage unit and saw the zombie cab driver. I was scared to death after that and didn't finish the movie.

DJariya 01-21-21 07:43 PM

Surprise another delay

Variety talked about this a few days ago. They said expect a lot of the Spring and early summer releases to be delayed.

Abob Teff 01-21-21 09:43 PM

Ghostbusters: See it in your AFTERLIFE

Hazel Motes 01-22-21 12:30 AM

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial (Post 13828695)
I remember watching Ghostbusters on VHS when I was really young and watched the whole movie up until when Peck and his crew shutdown the ghost containment storage unit and saw the zombie cab driver. I was scared to death after that and didn't finish the movie.

When I was a kid I wasn’t aware Ghostbusters was a comedy.