DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Ghostbusters: Afterlife (2021, D: Jason Reitman) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/646449-ghostbusters-afterlife-2021-d-jason-reitman.html)

Morf 11-11-05 11:10 AM

Ghostbusters: Afterlife (2021, D: Jason Reitman)

Holy crap.

http://www.slashfilm.com/article.php/2005110623100936

(Site is pop-up hell, so here is the article)

Some know Harold Ramis as the director of Groundhog Day and Analyze This, while most others recognize him as Dr. Egon Spengler from the 1984 comedy hit Ghostbusters. What many don't realize is that he is part of the genius behind the franchise having written the original film, and its 1989 follow-up with actor Dan Aykroyd. Well Ramis is trying to get a third film greenlighted.

Ramis revealed to InFocus magazine that he's finished work with Aykroyd on a new script called Ghostbusters in Hell. He is pushing to get the film in production with Ben Stiller joining Aykroyd and Rick Moranis.

The script follows the Ghostbusters as they travel into a parallel dimension via a portal in a New York warehouse. "What Danny had originally conceived was sending us to a special-effects hell--a netherworld full of phenomenal visual environments and boiling pits," Ramis explained. "But what works so well about the first two (films) is the mundane-ness of it all. So my notion was that hell exists in the same place as our consensus reality, but it's like a film shutter--it's the darkness between the 24 frames."

"So we create a device to do it, and it's in a warehouse in Brooklyn. When we step out of the chamber, it looks just like New York, but it's hell--everything's grid locked; no cars are moving and all the drivers are swearing at each other in different foreign languages. No two people speak the same language. It's all the worst things about modern urban life, just magnified."

The idea doesn't sound too great, but you have to trust the minds behind this, right?
I'm a big Ghostbusters fan, and I've been dying for a Ghostbusters 3 for a long time. I'd be willing to give it a shot, though I hate the thought of a Ghostbusters sans Peter Venkman.

Drop 11-11-05 11:27 AM

I'm sure (or atleast hope) Murray would have some presence in the film.

I guess I'm looking forward to this.

Morf 11-11-05 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by Drop
I'm sure (or atleast hope) Murray would have some presence in the film.

He stated that he doesn't want anything to do with a Ghostbusters 3 back in the late 90s. I'm sure he could have changed his mind, but I'm not holding my breath.

Shannon Nutt 11-11-05 11:41 AM

The article above is a misinterpretation of the interview Ramis gave...if you read the original interview what he said is that he DID (back in the early 90s) have a script for "Ghostbusters Go To Hell" that would have cast Ben Stiller and Chris Farley as younger Ghostbusters...Bill Murray wasn't interested, so it never got made. There are NO current plans for a new Ghostbusters movie!

Rogue588 11-11-05 12:00 PM

Thank GOD.

reverie 11-11-05 12:11 PM

I'd be up for another as long as they still had a hand in it.

Linko 11-11-05 12:55 PM

Whew! I don't even care if Bill Murray was in it with Ackroyd and Ramis. Even if Ernie Hudson was missing it would be ridiculous. Only if the the original four are back I'd have interest in watching it.

Morf 11-11-05 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
The article above is a misinterpretation of the interview Ramis gave...if you read the original interview what he said is that he DID (back in the early 90s) have a script for "Ghostbusters Go To Hell" that would have cast Ben Stiller and Chris Farley as younger Ghostbusters...Bill Murray wasn't interested, so it never got made. There are NO current plans for a new Ghostbusters movie!

Thanks, I thought some of this sounded strangely familiar.

Abranut 11-11-05 01:26 PM

I'm a huge Ghostbusters fan and this sounds effing terrible to me.

Yocke 11-11-05 01:39 PM

The original interview can be found here:
http://www.infocusmag.com/05november/ramisuncut.htm

neocheddar02 11-11-05 01:41 PM

No joke, that site is popup hell. Ghostbuster 3, although it might've sucked, would've been worth seeing.

matome 11-11-05 02:55 PM

I probably would've seen this.

Shannon Nutt 11-11-05 03:28 PM

The best rumor I've ever heard about the GHOSTBUSTERS franchise is that Bill Murray was INTENTIONALLY unfunny in the picture because he didn't want to do any more of them. In fact, I know he tried to get Columbia to call the movie "The Last Of The Ghostbusters," but they insisted on GHOSTBUSTERS 2.

PopcornTreeCt 11-11-05 07:12 PM

Sounds like an interesting idea but no.

DRG 11-12-05 03:21 AM

Originally Posted by Morf
He stated that he doesn't want anything to do with a Ghostbusters 3 back in the late 90s. I'm sure he could have changed his mind, but I'm not holding my breath.

And yet he's in talks to do Garfield 2. :hscratch: Not to say a Ghostbusters 3 might not turn out to be terrible, but Garfield 2 is almost CERTAIN to be terrible...

Cameron 11-12-05 03:36 AM

Originally Posted by Linko
Even if Ernie Hudson was missing it would be ridiculous.

Like Ernie Hudson has anything better to do...

just get the voice actor from the cartoon to do it...you know...garfield...wait...Murray is Garfield....weired -wink-

and you should have titles the thread Ghostbusters 3- Who You Gonna Call- Ben Stiller

breaks down

i aint afaid of no ghost.

DVDFreaker 11-12-05 04:03 AM

Originally Posted by Morf
Holy crap.

http://www.slashfilm.com/article.php/2005110623100936

(Site is pop-up hell, so here is the article)

I'm a big Ghostbusters fan, and I've been dying for a Ghostbusters 3 for a long time. I'd be willing to give it a shot, though I hate the thought of a Ghostbusters sans Peter Venkman.

Wait a minute, I remember that Will Smith is suppose to join Chris Farley to do Ghostbusters 3? Guess I am wrong...

Giantrobo 11-12-05 06:27 AM

Didn't like...actually hated... 1 and 2 but I do like Stiller so I'd give it a shot.

Nesbit 11-12-05 08:56 AM

If they remade the original today who would you cast?

I'm thinking it would probobly end up like this

Ray - Will Ferrel
Peter - Owen Wilson
Egon - Ben Stiller
Winston - Charlie Murphy

Although I really don't want to see a remake it wouldn't suprise me if it got made in the not too distant future.

Myster X 11-12-05 12:36 PM

No Murray = no sale

hugo1000faces 11-12-05 03:25 PM

This thread reminds me of this piece from McSweeney's that I thought to be hilarious...

http://www.mcsweeneys.net/2005/9/28pendarvis.html

(Note: McSweeney's is a humor site)

Fok 11-12-05 10:46 PM

They should leave Ghostbusters alone, why would they ruin it now?

mikehunt 11-12-05 11:55 PM

sounds even lamer than number 2

scott shelton 11-13-05 12:27 AM

Originally Posted by DRG
And yet he's in talks to do Garfield 2. :hscratch: Not to say a Ghostbusters 3 might not turn out to be terrible, but Garfield 2 is almost CERTAIN to be terrible...

Well, GARFIELD 2 is a couple days of work (a week tops) for a huge paycheck.

No makeup, no promotion, just voicework. I can see the appeal, and the willingness to sign up for sequels.

Tracer Bullet 11-13-05 12:52 AM

Originally Posted by hugo1000faces
This thread reminds me of this piece from McSweeney's that I thought to be hilarious...

http://www.mcsweeneys.net/2005/9/28pendarvis.html

(Note: McSweeney's is a humor site)

Sigourney Weaver cameo. She's possessed again. What can Bill Murray do about it? He chooses to do nothing. They part. Is that a hint of regret on his face? Could be. Or maybe he is thinking of something else. Is that the devil himself turning her eyes a lurid red? Or is it an allergy? Either interpretation is valid.
rotfl