Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Ghostbusters: Afterlife (2021, D: Jason Reitman)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Ghostbusters: Afterlife (2021, D: Jason Reitman)

Old 09-04-08, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
From Variety article:
Columbia Pictures is getting serious about scaring up a new installment of its blockbuster "Ghostbusters" franchise.

The studio has set "The Office" co-exec producers Lee Eisenberg and Gene Stupnitsky to write a script for a film designed to bring back together the original cast of Harold Ramis, Bill Murray, Dan Aykroyd and Ernie Hudson.
Old 09-04-08, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good luck with that.

[not that I wouldn't want to see it...]
Old 09-04-08, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Fingers crossed. Imagine if Eddie Murphy played Winston and John Candy was Louis (as originally thought), the movie would NEVER happen because of Murphy's resentment of his past and Candy's death. Oh, and if they ever HAD to remake the original (god help me), this is what my Apatow-flavored cast would be:

Seth Rogen as Venkman
Paul Rudd as Stantz
Jay Baruchel as Egon
Craig Robinson as Winston
? as Dana
Leslie Mann as Janine
Michael Cera as Louis

I'd definitely see that, but let's not let it come to a remake of one of the greats.
Old 09-04-08, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If they did a semi-reboot with the original cast involved, I am beyond there.
Old 09-04-08, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
<embed src="http://services.brightcove.com/services/viewer/federated_f8/1579860695" bgcolor="#FFFFFF" flashVars="videoId=1772099378&playerId=1579860695&viewerSecureGatewayURL=https://console.brightcove.com/services/amfgateway&servicesURL=http://services.brightcove.com/services&cdnURL=http://admin.brightcove.com&domain=embed&autoStart=false&" base="http://admin.brightcove.com" name="flashObj" width="486" height="412" seamlesstabbing="false" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" swLiveConnect="true" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash"></embed>
Old 09-04-08, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Zen Peckinpah
Fingers crossed. Imagine if Eddie Murphy played Winston and John Candy was Louis (as originally thought), the movie would NEVER happen because of Murphy's resentment of his past and Candy's death. Oh, and if they ever HAD to remake the original (god help me), this is what my Apatow-flavored cast would be:

Seth Rogen as Venkman
Paul Rudd as Stantz
Jay Baruchel as Egon
? as Dana
Leslie Mann as Janine
Michael Cera as Louis

I'd definitely see that, but let's not let it come to a remake of one of the greats.
Michael Cera as Louis? Perfect! But not yet, too young.
Old 09-05-08, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Seth Rogen as Venkman
Paul Rudd as Stantz
Jay Baruchel as Egon
? as Dana
Leslie Mann as Janine
Michael Cera as Louis

You know how I know you're gay ... you like being slimed.
Old 09-05-08, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
Thank god they are at least considering to do this right
Old 09-05-08, 11:09 AM
Banned

But the 2nd one was a very bad movie even though it was a hit.
I can't think of any movie where the movie going public wants a sequal to a lousy movie like GHOSTBUSTERS 2 .
Old 09-05-08, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by sauce07
Thank god they are at least considering to do this right

The consideration alone makes it wrong. This film should not be made. Period. Too much time has passed. If they're going to do anything, do a remake. I don't want to see a grumpy old Bill Murray strapping on a proton pack and grousing about ghosts.
Old 09-05-08, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If they were hiring a team of new Ghostbusters, IF they end up doing that, they should hire older new actors, like Steve Carell. I know he's kind of a predictable choice, but his comedy movie choices all allow him to be goofy, while his dramedy choices allow him to play it a little quieter -- I'd like to see him in a comedy where it was more like the latter, about one-liners than any sort of physical comedy. In general, I think that's lacking in today's comedies. And if they do go young, they should cast some people like that, such as Jay Baruchel, one of my favorite parts of Tropic Thunder and yet the least showy comedic role.

And the idea that they're racking up like an all-star comedy cast in any of these scenarios seems wrong too. There was Murray, the megastar, Aykroyd, strong supporting, and then Ramis was a writer and Ernie Hudson gets his jokes in just by being an everyman.

But I grew up with Ghostbusters, and it is so ingrained into what I knew as a kid that it went beyond potential childhood-ruining and I just go back to when I was nine and I wanted Ghostbusters III more than anything in the world. Even if I could go to the future and know this movie sucks, I think I still want them to make it.
Old 09-05-08, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 709 Likes on 517 Posts
Originally Posted by HollywoodReporter
The original filmmakers, including director Ivan Reitman, and cast are aware of the project and involved in its development. Some original cast members might be involved, but the focus will be on a new cast of Ghostbusters.
Sounds more like a passin gof the torch than a reboot.
Old 09-05-08, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 323 Likes on 241 Posts
Bill Murray's the only real reason this hasn't happened...I have no doubt Ackroyd, Ramis and Hudson would sign up for a 3rd (and we really don't need Signorney Weaver, IMHO).

Ghostbusters II actually had a good beginning where everyone had essentially forgotten about them...if they expand on that in the sequel, I think they could put together a really interesting story.

Oh, and it HAS to be set in New York! No Los Angeles or another setting.
Old 09-05-08, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts

Seth Rogen as Venkman
Paul Rudd as Stantz
Jay Baruchel as Egon
? as Dana
Leslie Mann as Janine
Michael Cera as Louis

Yeah, no thanks
Old 09-05-08, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by wm lopez
But the 2nd one was a very bad movie even though it was a hit.
Yea, but it had one of my favorite movie moments in it:

WINSTON !!!!
Old 09-05-08, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 255 Likes on 163 Posts
The Chicago Tribune's media columnist just posted the following:

Originally posted: September 5, 2008
Harold Ramis confirms 'Ghostbusters III'

I just received this e-mail from Harold Ramis confirming the forward progress on a third "Ghostbusters" movie (as mentioned earlier here), with Judd Apatow, some of his regular actors and perhaps Bill Murray involved:

"yes, columbia is developing a script for GB3 with my year one writing partners, gene stupnitsky and lee eisenberg. judd apatow is co-producing year one and has made several other films for sony, so of course the studio is hoping to tap into some of the same acting talent. aykroyd, ivan reitman and i are consulting at this point, and according to dan, bill murray is willing to be involved on some level. he did record his dialogue for the new ghostbusters video game, as did danny and i, and ernie hudson. the concept is that the old ghostbusters would appear in the film in some mentor capacity. not much else to say at this point. everyone is confident a decent script can be written and i guess we'll take it from there.
best,
harold

OK, so we're picturing Bill Murray, Dan Aykroyd, Harold Ramis and Ernie Hudson showing the ghost-busting ropes to Seth Rogen, Jonah Hill, James Franco and Michael Cera. (Ramis already memorably and warmly played Rogen's dad in "Knocked Up.") Maybe Jason Segel or Craig Robinson fit in there somewhere.

Is this a "Ghostbusters" you'd want to call?
Old 09-05-08, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Appealing to the younger Judd/Seth fans is what will sell the most tickets, obviously. But I, for one, would rather see the original four than the new crew.

Egon: "Here, let me show you how to use this Proton Pack!"
Seth Rogen: "Can I use it to get that hot girl's top off?"

...comedy gold...
Old 09-05-08, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Anybody but Steve Carrell and I'm there.
Old 09-05-08, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I stand by my assumption on who should be involved. Awesome news if Apatow is indeed producing it.
Old 09-05-08, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I stand by my assumption on who should be involved. Awesome news if Apatow is indeed producing it.
I suppose, should you stay with the casting you had earlier mentioned, that Jenna Fischer would not be a bad choice to play Dana. She has the beauty to pull the role off, with the "everywoman" aspect needed as well.
Old 09-05-08, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally Posted by freshticles
Anybody but any of the Apatow Pack and I'm there.
Fixed.

Seth Rogan? Jonah Hill? For real? I mean, the only thing that could be worse is having Joss Whedon get his hands on this.
Old 09-05-08, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm not particularly interested in seeing the major Apatow players take it, namely Rogen or Jonah Hill, but I think Paul Rudd is more than just an Apatow crony (I'd say he's more a David Wain disciple than anything) and I think Jay Baruchel just has enough everyman appeal to transcend it (i.e. his turn in Tropic Thunder).

But yeah, please: no Rogen. No Jonah Hill. No Jack Black. No Ben Stiller. And so on, and so forth. I would much prefer some very funny but low-key players.
Old 09-05-08, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by droidguy1119
I'm not particularly interested in seeing the major Apatow players take it, namely Rogen or Jonah Hill, but I think Paul Rudd is more than just an Apatow crony (I'd say he's more a David Wain disciple than anything) and I think Jay Baruchel just has enough everyman appeal to transcend it (i.e. his turn in Tropic Thunder).

But yeah, please: no Rogen. No Jonah Hill. No Jack Black. No Ben Stiller. And so on, and so forth. I would much prefer some very funny but low-key players.
I do have to agree with the Paul Rudd/David Wain relationship, especially considering what I view to be one of the funniest comedies in recent memory, Wet Hot American Summer. And, to be fair, I prefer Rudd over any of the "Apatow Pack," perhaps with the exception of Jason Segal.

Jay Baruchel, while generally lacking in his roles, was quite exceptional in Tropic Thunder.

Hell, I'd take Rogen, but leave Stiller out of it, please... (And Hill, for the love of God.)
Old 09-07-08, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
How good would GB3 be if Edgar Wright directed this and have Simon Pegg and Nick Frost star in it.

If Seth Rogan were to star in this. He would probably play a Pot-smoking Ghostbuster.
Old 09-07-08, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts
Eh, it's been so long I'd be nice to see anything done with this... I do like the newer Apatow players compared to the older Stiller, Will Smith rumors from years ago. Hopefully it happens.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.