Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Ghostbusters: Afterlife (2021, D: Jason Reitman)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Ghostbusters: Afterlife (2021, D: Jason Reitman)

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-19, 01:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts
re: Ghostbusters: Afterlife (2021, D: Jason Reitman)

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
I'm really not sure how this franchise became that "beloved." Yeah, the first film is great and that's about it. The sequel was mediocre in '89 and it's still mediocre. I think the animated series was great and that's it.
The first film is a classic. I only started reading Ghostbusters referred to as this great film franchise was when Sony was developing the 2016 reboot.

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Yeah, I grew up in the 80's and all that - even played with some made up ghostbuster paper badges we did in school but we were never frothing at the mouth for more.
It seems that the majority of the people that are frothing at the mouth for this and were against the female version weren't even born when the first one was out, so I don't get nostalgia factor when they weren't even around - hell they may not have been around for the sequel either, but Ghostbusters, fuck yeah?
Most of the YouTube videos I see that are critical of the 2016 version are made by people that look to be at least in their mid-30s.

As for people who were really pushing for GB3, that was only Dan Aykroyd. Once in a while he'd talk about trying to get GB3 made and but considering it never seemed to go anywhere for the longest time, makes me think, yeah, die-hard GB fandom wasn't that big of a deal.

According to one video, Sony only started hyping up GB as some big franchise and film universe after a string of losses with the exception of the James Bond and Spider-man films.

I'm a big fan of Ghostbusters myself, but I never wanted a GB3, at least not once the cast started looking old, and that was by the late 90s/early 2000s. I thought it was a bad idea when Sony was trying to use the Feig version to start a whole film universe, with spin-offs and what not.
And StrangerThingsBusters sounds lame. The closest thing we got to a quality GB3 was The Frighteners.

Last edited by brayzie; 01-21-19 at 02:03 AM.
Old 01-21-19, 01:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by TGM
Ms. Jones...
Fuck off.
Originally Posted by islandclaws
Like any good liberal celeb, she manages to work Trump and sexism into one sound bite. Few people who love "Ghostbusters" liked your movie, dipshit. That's why.
I thought what Leslie Jones posted was dumb, for the obvious reasons most people have already mentioned.
However, take into consideration that during the 2016 film, a prominent alt-right sympathizer was saying she was ugly and looked like a man. He was even being interviewed and his insults to Leslie Jones were repeated again and again. Trolls were tweeting hideously racist things to her. So I can see why she's still sore about the whole thing.
And I know her post was crude, but apparently she's not the only one who comes across as sore.
Old 01-21-19, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm really not sure how this franchise became that "beloved." Yeah, the first film is great and that's about it. The sequel was mediocre in '89 and it's still mediocre. I think the animated series was great and that's it. I don't care about the female remake - never seen it and don't care to. With Jason Reitman directing the official 3rd film - I don't really care.
It became beloved because it was a huge franchise in the 80's and it's appealed to multiple generations of kids. It basically was able to do what Star Wars did, just at a lower level. It was massively popular in the 80's, the sequel did well though it wasn't as successful. It had a cartoon that aired for five years, then it aired in syndication again on and off for 26 years while the two films were still replaying on TV. And don't downplay the popularity of the cartoon. It was so popular that they made the second movie more kid friendly, and made Janine look more like her cartoon counterpart. That isn't counting the toys and stuff like Ecto Cooler or the Videogame, or the show at Universal Orlando. In essence, a lot of generations have had contact with the Ghostbusters franchise and have fondness for it

I guess I feel the nostalgia is a bit misplaced since there isn't that much to the franchise to begin with. IMO
There isn't much to any franchise if you look at it that way, whether it be Terminator, or Star Wars or anything. There's a reason why people struggle to make good sequels so often.

It seems that the majority of the people that are frothing at the mouth for this and were against the female version weren't even born when the first one was out, so I don't get nostalgia factor when they weren't even around - hell they may not have been around for the sequel either, but Ghostbusters, fuck yeah?
So? A lot of people who saw Halloween last year weren't alive for the original's release, or hell even Rob Zombie's release but they still saw it. Same with The Force Awakens. Same with each new James Bond movie. Same with Mission: Impossible. When something becomes a cultural phenomenon, people get excited. Hell there was a teens react video on YouTube where they showed movie posters from the 80's and most teens had no idea what the movies were(typically out of the 10 teens who looked at them only 2 or 3 could guess each movie). They showed the Ghostbusters one? All ten teens knew what movie it was from.

It’s almost as if their rage at the all-female version of Ghostbusters has nothing to do with the movie itself...
It's almost as if people still beat the same horse over and over again about how everyone who didn't like the movie had to be sexist. It's pretty ironic that for a guy who keeps desperately trying to defend the remake that he keeps trying to complain about people who didn't like it. But you keep being you.

As for people who were really pushing for GB3, that was only Dan Aykroyd. Once in a while he'd talk about trying to get GB3 made and but considering it never seemed to go anywhere for the longest time, makes me think, yeah, die-hard GB fandom wasn't that big of a deal.
Yeah Dan definitely kept pushing for GB3. At the same time though, if no one gave a shit about the franchise, then no one would have kept asking about a GB3 over and over again.
Old 01-21-19, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 416 Likes on 301 Posts

It's sad Leslie Jones can't accept her movie sucked. Go cry to Paul Feig or Amy Pascal.
Old 01-21-19, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,025 Posts

Originally Posted by robin2099
It's almost as if people still beat the same horse over and over again about how everyone who didn't like the movie had to be sexist. It's pretty ironic that for a guy who keeps desperately trying to defend the remake that he keeps trying to complain about people who didn't like it. But you keep being you.
Who’s “desperate”? I have said many times that the 2016 version is fine. Not fantastic, not bad, just fine. I also recognize that the fact that it had an all-female cast sent plenty of men on the internet into a blind rage, as indicated by the wildly disparate audience scores and trailer dislikes when compared to similar movies.

Here’s the thing - you can dislike the movie because you dislike the movie AND acknowledge that lots of men out there didn’t like it because of the female cast.

Based on the synopsis, this new version sounds worse than the 2016 version. It’ll be interesting to see if it causes the same reactions for trailers and audience scores. My guess is that they will be more in line with reality.
Old 01-21-19, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,151 Likes on 900 Posts

Cripes people are we really going to drag the drama bullshit from the 2016 film back for round two until this film releases??
Old 01-21-19, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Mike86
Cripes people are we really going to drag the drama bullshit from the 2016 film back for round two until this film releases??
I’m done. Hope everyone enjoys the new kid-centric Ghostbusters.
Old 01-21-19, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Draven

I’m done. Hope everyone enjoys the new kid-centric Ghostbusters.
I don’t even know what that’s supposed to mean. The original films aren’t aimed at kids. Pretty sure you’re just taking cheap shots at fans of the other side. Both sides have been guilty of attacking each other and you aren’t any better for it just because of your social stance (which I largely agree with despite thinking the 2016 film is shit). I stayed out of the original threads mostly as they basically cake down to personal attacks based on different social stances and I’m intending to stay out of this mostly but just saying.
Old 01-21-19, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Mike86

I don’t even know what that’s supposed to mean. The original films aren’t aimed at kids. Pretty sure you’re just taking cheap shots at fans of the other side. Both sides have been guilty of attacking each other and you aren’t any better for it just because of your social stance (which I largely agree with despite thinking the 2016 film is shit). I stayed out of the original threads mostly as they basically cake down to personal attacks based on different social stances and I’m intending to stay out of this mostly but just saying.
The original is my favorite movie of all time. The "kid centric" comment was about Ghostbusters 3, which is apparently starring a bunch of kids. Certainly not what I want from a Ghostbusters film.

Last edited by Draven; 01-21-19 at 12:07 PM.
Old 01-21-19, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The original is my favorite movie of all time. The "kid centric" comment was about Ghostbusters 3, which is apparently starring a bunch of kids. Certainly not what I want from a Ghostbusters film.
Ah okay. Admittedly I just poked in here quick to see what was being discussed. I apparently missed the synopsis being posted.
Old 01-21-19, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

We don't know that the kids are the stars. They could simply be part of the paranormal plot. I mean someone could have told you in 1988 that Ghostbusters 2 was going to focus on Dana's baby and a ghost who wanted to possess it, but that didn't mean the original Ghostbusters weren't the stars. Let's wait and see before we start trashing the plot.
Old 01-21-19, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Age discrimination!
Old 01-21-19, 04:57 PM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
We don't know that the kids are the stars. They could simply be part of the paranormal plot. I mean someone could have told you in 1988 that Ghostbusters 2 was going to focus on Dana's baby and a ghost who wanted to possess it, but that didn't mean the original Ghostbusters weren't the stars. Let's wait and see before we start trashing the plot.
Not to mention, there hasn’t even been an official synopsis. That article and their source could’ve been full of shit.
Old 01-21-19, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Age discrimination!
I know you're joking but it is, isn't?
I remembered the Junior Ghostbusters as a kid, and liking the episodes that featured them.
When I got older I found out that there's a lot of hate for them, with even from one of the cartoon's writer J. Michael Straczynski.

Old 01-21-19, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by brayzie
I know you're joking but it is, isn't?
I remembered the Junior Ghostbusters as a kid, and liking the episodes that featured them.
When I got older I found out that there's a lot of hate for them, with even from one of the cartoon's writer J. Michael Straczynski.
I'm half joking since I find some irony and hypocrisy there, but purposely didn't expand on it to respect dex's wishes to minimize the 2016 Ghostbusters talk Of course, i'm someone who typically doesn't like child actors in movies and am wary of the rumored plot.
Old 01-21-19, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 547 Likes on 340 Posts

This has Blues Brothers 2000 written all over it.
Old 01-21-19, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

Except that by the time BB2000 came out John Landis had been churning out crap for over a decade and was a shell of his former self. Jason Reitman is still making good movies. Also, I would argue that with what very little information we have, that this project has nothing "written all over it" just yet, let alone anything resembling the Blues Brothers 2000 trainwreck. We know almost nothing about this film yet.

Also, this:

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Originally Posted by dex14

Not to mention, there hasn’t even been an official synopsis. That article and their source could’ve been full of shit.
Old 01-21-19, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/UWROBiX1eSc" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I'm happy to forget about Ghostbusters (2016) but I'm starting to wonder if the anti-neckbeard side was more vocal than the misogyny side. It seems like a convenient narrative was built up to help save a shitty movie. As a very liberal white dude who was born in the 80s, I did not like it being implied that I was sexist for being unenthusiastic about a Paul Feig movie.
Old 01-22-19, 05:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

Never saw the 2016 Ghostbusters...just wasn't interested in giving it my money and time...but I was always glad to learn it was a complete and separate reboot.(despite the first trailer flat out lying about that) Really looking forward to this... it's a bit unfortunate that the wind was kind of taken out of the IP's sails w the 2016 film... and I suspect there will be all kinds of measuring contests about which film made more $$. But hopefully the budget is modest and we just get a very enjoyable film, the teaser/announcement trailer alone tells me we'll get faithful nods to the originals - score, tone, etc...
Old 01-22-19, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Who’s “desperate”? I have said many times that the 2016 version is fine. Not fantastic, not bad, just fine. I also recognize that the fact that it had an all-female cast sent plenty of men on the internet into a blind rage, as indicated by the wildly disparate audience scores and trailer dislikes when compared to similar movies.
Seriously? This was your very first post on this page"Thank god now everyone can shut the fuck up about the perfectly fine 2016 version. [img=left]http://images.dvdtalk.com/images/smilies/lol.gif[/img]" Yeah, totally not desperate.

Here’s the thing - you can dislike the movie because you dislike the movie AND acknowledge that lots of men out there didn’t like it because of the female cast.
Here's the thing- You can like the movie AND acknowledge that lots of people who feel the need to defend their liking of it and bashing the people who dislike it are doing so because they want to label them misogynists. Hell Roeper gave it a bad review and was trashed by feminists. That's just as ridiculous as what the misogynists were doing.

Based on the synopsis, this new version sounds worse than the 2016 version. It’ll be interesting to see if it causes the same reactions for trailers and audience scores. My guess is that they will be more in line with reality.
Here's the thing. We don't even know if that is an accurate synopsis. No official synopsis has been made and Reitman has not said anything. And you know what? I trust Reitman more than Paul Feig for several reasons.

1. Reitman isn't stupid. He knows that the fans will have high expectations for it.

2. Reitman isn't stupid. He knows that the franchise has a big following, and he has a personal connection to this movie. He doesn't need to attach his name to this, and I believe that if he didn't feel he had a good take, he would stay far away.

3. I can't see Ivan letting his son do this if he did not think that he had a good concept. He knows there will be even more pressure on him to do it right with it being his son, and if he thought it was bad I bet he would keep him far away.

4. Unlike Feig who was all wrong for the material and only got the job because Amy Pascal was obsessed with getting him, Reitman seems to be a good fit.

So essentially Reitman seems to be doing it for the fact that he has a good take and he seems passionate about it. He won't want to be in his dad's shadow, he knows the pressure is on to relaunch the Ghosbusters brand after the 2016 version was viewed as disappointing and I believe that he at least should get the benefit of the doubt for now.

But I'm done arguing with you about the 2016 version. I'd rather focus on the new one.=left
Old 01-22-19, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

I found Feig's style of humor was a poor fit in GB2016, but really didn't have much love or hate for it. It just kind of was. But the characters weren't well established or memorable, at all, so a sequel wouldn't really be of much interest for me.

GB3's current synopsis sounds suspect, but I like Reitman and hopefully they know wtf they're doing -- considering the success of IT and Stranger Things, I can see why they think it's a good direction, but it treads a thin line.
Old 01-22-19, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

reaction from Paul Feig on the new movie

I swear to god. I dont get the backlash. The 2016 movie sucked. Its in its own universe. What is the big deal?
Old 01-22-19, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by raven56706
reaction from Paul Feig on the new movie

I swear to god. I dont get the backlash. The 2016 movie sucked. Its in its own universe. What is the big deal?
I think it was Leslie Jones saying that making a direct sequel to Ghostbusters 2 after the 2016 reboot failed is a "dick move" and akin to the misogyny that Donald Trump displays.

Originally Posted by Paul Feige
An absolute honest to God never ending supply of bullshit and hate from these trolls. Leslie spoke her truth and I support her.
Originally Posted by article
The director behind the 2016 all-female reboot of the movie spoke out on Twitter after his star was attacked for sharing her disappointment about the new Jason Reitman version which would bypass their contribution to the franchise.
Renewed trolling against the actress began after she posted her feelings about the new movie
Most of the responses I read to her tweet weren't hateful or "attacks." I think I got to a couple, one that said the 2016 movie was "dog shit," and another that had a disgusting meme about "butt hurt." The rest were saying that the 2016 movie wasn't very good, it didn't make money so of course they're going to try something else, it wasn't because it was all women, a picture of Sigourney Weaver as the "bad ass Ghostbuster we should have got," etc.
Old 01-22-19, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 119 Likes on 107 Posts

Shouldn't never have been another Ghostbusters...nothing can top the original and that cast. But that's what happens when you have no talent, no vision, no new ideas from a lame Hollywood who has now resorted of doing countless remakes...which seem to be piling up and flopping at the Box Office.
Old 01-22-19, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,403 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Originally Posted by K&AJones
Shouldn't never have been another Ghostbusters...nothing can top the original and that cast. But that's what happens when you have no talent, no vision, no new ideas from a lame Hollywood who has now resorted of doing countless remakes...which seem to be piling up and flopping at the Box Office.
I can't agree with this as the animated series showed a lot of potential for different kinds of stories.

I feel like a broken record, but it never needed to be a reboot. Have the remaining old crew pass the torch to the new crew, and go on with it. Feig's insistence on a reboot is the root of many of the issues.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.