Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Ghostbusters: Afterlife (2021, D: Jason Reitman)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Ghostbusters: Afterlife (2021, D: Jason Reitman)

Old 01-16-19, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 723 Likes on 528 Posts
re: Ghostbusters: Afterlife (2021, D: Jason Reitman)

Originally Posted by TheHive08
I still don't understand why the 2016 version didn't just set itself in the same universe.
I'm just glad it doesn't now and can be explained away like Venom was to the Spider-verse.
Old 01-16-19, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

Thank God it WASN'T connected to the original 2.
Old 01-16-19, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Pretty sure most of my criticism was directed at "girls can't carry backpacks" and "why is there a team of women (when no one had a problem with a team of men)", but you do you.
Pretty sure your criticism related to that, and feeling the need to attack everyone who didn't just say "Yay Women!". I said that it felt like a lazy gimmick which you attacked me for(and then cut to the Sony hack where it was confirmed that the movie was a gimmick) , attacking anyone who said they wanted a mixed cast, and when people said why not cast Lizzy Caplan and Emma Stone who were both interested, you attacked them by saying it's because they don't think fat women are funny. But hey, you keep being you also.

Internet reactions to this one are strange. Everyone wants a new Ghostbusters with the original cast until they get a new Ghostbusters with the original cast.
Like I said, I don't think you can downplay how much damage the 2016 version did to the Ghostbusters brand. You could write a hell of a tell all book about what a cluster it was(Pascal forcing Reitman out, Pascal saying she wanted a big budget female casted movie and didn't care it if was Ghostbusters, Spiderman or Men In Black, Feig not wanting to do it unless he had total creative control and no involvement with Reitman, Feig blowing tens of millions of dollars on a deleted dance number that showed in the credits, the studio threatening to sue Bill Murray unless he appeared, Aykroyd trashing Feig post release). So they are basically in a state where people feel like "Ghostbusters again?" And the excitement just isn't there like it might have been. It feels similar to what happened with Highlander 2 and how fans jokingly referred to Highlander 3 as Highlander 3: The Apology. Sony had their chance, they screwed up, and now people have little reason to get excited again. But I also agree I bet this never comes out.
Old 01-17-19, 01:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,720 Likes on 1,877 Posts

Will seventy year old men be able to handle those heavy backpacks and lug around all of that heavy gear?
Old 01-17-19, 06:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by Hazel Motes
So many questions. Bill? Rick? The absence of Egon? Will they actually film in NYC again? Hmmmmmm.
Well, we know Dan is almost 100 percent assured, and I'm going to go out there and predict it will be a significant role (think Harrison Ford in The Force Awakens-sized)...he'll probably be responsible for "training" the new crew with the old 1984 equipment. My "guess" is that Bill and Ernie will have scenes that are more than cameos, but a little less than co-starring roles. As for actors like Sigourney, Rick M., and Annie Potts - who knows? I'm sure Jason will TRY to get them, but someone like Rick may just say "thanks, but no thanks" and who knows if Sigourney is available given James Cameron's dozen Avatar sequels?

Hopefully, the plot revolves around Oscar Venkman, who would be in his early 30s now...right?

As far as casting goes...who does Jason like to work with? It seems like JK Simmons is likely to cast, as he's been in a lot of Reitman's films. Beyond that, who knows? Jason Bateman maybe? Anna Kendrick?

Old 01-17-19, 06:43 AM

Received 4,556 Likes on 3,091 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
As far as casting goes...who does Jason like to work with? It seems like JK Simmons is likely to cast, as he's been in a lot of Reitman's films. Beyond that, who knows? Jason Bateman maybe? Anna Kendrick?
Charlize Theron as a Ghostbuster. Yes, please.
Old 01-17-19, 05:23 PM

Received 4,556 Likes on 3,091 Posts

Provided to We Got This Covered by a trusted source, the intel explains that the two central characters will be a young boy and girl. The former will be 13 years of age and is said to be passionate about fantasy and conspiracy theories. Furthermore, he apparently approaches every situation with “unbridled excitement for the unknown.” What’s perhaps most interesting though is that he quite often will narrate life in real time, adding “descriptive color” to the people he meets.

As for the girl, she crosses paths with the aforementioned boy at some point in the film and they quickly become friends. She’s 12 years of age, from what we understand, and is said to be an insanely smart kid. However, she often has a hard time with “interpreting and expressing emotions and speaks with a flat delivery that make her observations humorous.” Though she wants to connect with others, she struggles with interpreting how her family and friends feel and has difficulty sharing her own feelings. Her “science acumen” is said to prove invaluable throughout the story, though.

As for the plot, we don’t have too much to go on, but we’ve been told the basic gist of it, and that’s that the film will focus on a family who moves back home to a small town. While there, they begin to “learn more about who they are and the secrets of the town itself.” Unfortunately, there’s no mention of how – or even if – any of the original Busters will factor into the story, but we imagine that this family is somehow connected to one or more of the characters from the first two movies.

Not only that, but it’s widely expected that we’ll be seeing some familiar faces in the threequel. After all, Dan Aykroyd was the first one last year to hint that Ghostbusters 3 was finally happening, while also teasing that “there’s a possibility of a reunion with the three remaining Ghostbusters.” And while Bill Murray has yet to be heard from, his old friend seemed cautiously optimistic that he’d be game to return.

Either way, the threequel will be hitting theaters in summer 2020, and as soon as we’ve got more to share, we’ll be sure to let you know.
https://wegotthiscovered.com/movies/...hostbusters-3/

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Old 01-17-19, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

Ghostbusters in a small town? The fuck? New York City might be a more important character than Peter Venkman. Wait and see I guess, but that sounds odd.
Old 01-17-19, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,168 Likes on 4,198 Posts

Ghostbusters in a small town? The fuck? New York City might be a more important character than Peter Venkman. Wait and see I guess, but that sounds odd.
NOBODY steps on a grain silo in MY county!
Old 01-17-19, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,025 Posts

That synopsis doesn’t even sound like a good MOVIE, let alone a good Ghostbusters movie.
Old 01-17-19, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 695 Likes on 429 Posts

Good lord, they've done three Ghostbusters movies in big cities. There's an entire other world out there outside New York.

People want something new and different, except that they don't "54-FORMULA OR FIGHT!"
Old 01-17-19, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Was talking to a co-worker and we felt the story would be weird stuff happening in a small town and it’s because one of the Ghostbusters retired there and they reluctantly have to help these kids because it’s the Buster’s fault.

I think a better way to do a non-NY story is having a small town franchise that’s been doing the usual mundane hauntings like a microwave that makes things colder, a car that plays only one song when ever it gets started, etc but then a new character comes into town and they need the real ghostbusters for help.
Old 01-18-19, 03:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
Good lord, they've done three Ghostbusters movies in big cities. There's an entire other world out there outside New York.
I think Hazel Motes is right in saying that New York is just as much a character as Peter Venkman. That's one of the many elements that made the original so great.
Now, if GB3 took place in a different locale with Murray, Aykroyd, Hudson, and Ramis reprising their roles as the main characters, that would probably be more welcomed by fans.

But I can see why some people aren't exactly thrilled about a Ghostbusters 3 that takes place in Clarksville, Ohio and features two 12-year olds as the leads.

Old 01-18-19, 03:53 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts

Maybe if you live in New York. For the rest of us? Meh.
Old 01-18-19, 06:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Unless the protagonist is a fat lonely 35 year old living on Phoenix, I just don't see how I could get excited about Ghostbusters 3.
Old 01-18-19, 06:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

If those rumors are true, that might be WHY Sony finally greenlit this thing - for starters, filming out in "nowhere, USA" (or Vancouver ) is a lot cheaper than filming in NYC. Also the "teenager" thing might have screamed "Hey, it can be our version of 'Stranger Things'!" to boardroom execs.
Old 01-18-19, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 89 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
If those rumors are true, that might be WHY Sony finally greenlit this thing - for starters, filming out in "nowhere, USA" (or Vancouver ) is a lot cheaper than filming in NYC. Also the "teenager" thing might have screamed "Hey, it can be our version of 'Stranger Things'!" to boardroom execs.
The success of It probably helped as well.
Old 01-18-19, 10:02 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Left out of that synopsis is that periodically the kids will sing Moldy Peaches songs to each other for some reason.
Old 01-18-19, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Yeah, copying Stranger Things is what I thought of too reading the description. Can't say it really excites me.
Old 01-18-19, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

It's safe to say that description killed what little interest I had in seeing this. What a bunch of crap.
Old 01-18-19, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by JeremyM
The success of It probably helped as well.
Originally Posted by fumanstan
Yeah, copying Stranger Things is what I thought of too reading the description. Can't say it really excites me.
Wow, I didn't even make that connection.
It's interesting to see how Hollywood makes decisions for these movies. I don't like the idea of reformatting Ghostbusters to be more like It, but making Thor:Ragnarok more like Guardians of the Galaxy worked well for that film, so who knows.

I grew up on kid adventure movies like Stand By Me, Goonies, Explorers, E.T., and Monster Squad. I loved Stranger Things. But after seeing Summer of 84, it's starting to feel like a gimmick.
Old 01-18-19, 04:27 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts

Can't blame Paul Feig for that garbage fire of a plot.
Old 01-18-19, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,403 Likes on 1,028 Posts

It does sound odd, but remember the animated series did several good stories set outside the confines of NYC. Outside of the city you get a different flavor of ghost and have to think differently about chasing and trapping the ghosts.
Old 01-18-19, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Just like the all-female cast, it's not about the synopsis, setting, or gender of the cast, it's the execution that matters. I've only seen Thank You for Smoking from Reitman, but I liked it more than Bridesmaids so I'm going to keep an open mind.
Old 01-18-19, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,189 Likes on 915 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
Just like the all-female cast, it's not about the synopsis, setting, or gender of the cast, it's the execution that matters. I've only seen Thank You for Smoking from Reitman, but I liked it more than Bridesmaids so I'm going to keep an open mind.
Young Adult is Reitman's masterpiece.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.