DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Ghostbusters: Afterlife (2021, D: Jason Reitman) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/646449-ghostbusters-afterlife-2021-d-jason-reitman.html)

Mopower 03-04-09 11:42 AM

re: Ghostbusters III (2015) S: Jonah Hill

Originally Posted by hapgilmore (Post 9304809)
Am I the only one that wants the ORIGINAL cast to return and not be taken over by anybody new?

Where are they going to fight ghosts? Their retirement home? At least they would have steady work I guess.

tylergfoster 03-04-09 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by hapgilmore (Post 9304809)
Am I the only one that wants the ORIGINAL cast to return and not be taken over by anybody new?

I'm just going off of what has already been announced, which is that the script will follow the old team hiring a new team to replace them. Not my favorite plot, but fuck it, I've been waiting for this movie since I was 5.

If Ghostbusters 3, Tron 2 and the Arrested Development movie are all filming at the same time I'll have no cinematic dreams left to wish for in life.

Solid Snake 03-04-09 12:35 PM

I never really thought Tron was all that great. The story was kind of boring..

reverie 03-04-09 12:45 PM

More than anything I'd want the original cast back for the whole film. But I'll give it a chance as long as they're at least somewhat in it.

lamphorn 03-23-09 11:49 PM

Oh no, just saw that the script is being written by writers of "The Office".

I can already see it, Ghostbusters speaking in deadpan, trailing off, looking awkwardly into the camera, blinking a couple times before rolling the eyes, then a long overdue cut to the next scene.

Artman 03-23-09 11:56 PM

At this point, the old generation training the new generation is about the only storyline they have to do... it's kinda dumb because how much of a chance is there of launching a new series with just the new crew? Not much... so why bother? It seems like this is a one-shot kind of sequel (of course we thought the same thing of Indy and Rambo...and Terminator...). I guess maybe they should see how well the game sells this summer before making the call....

My Other Self 03-24-09 01:00 AM

Originally Posted by lamphorn (Post 9345064)
Oh no, just saw that the script is being written by writers of "The Office".

I can already see it, Ghostbusters speaking in deadpan, trailing off, looking awkwardly into the camera, blinking a couple times before rolling the eyes, then a long overdue cut to the next scene.

They also wrote Year One, which looks hysterical. They're talented.

Michael Corvin 03-24-09 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by lamphorn (Post 9345064)

Sounds just like Venkman to me. :shrug:

pinata242 03-24-09 09:09 AM

The Office is a victim of itself. You can't blame the writers for having next to nothing to work with in that show anymore.

I, for one, am excited to see what they do with this franchise and I am free to ignore it if there's a reason to in the future.

Paul1957 03-29-09 04:29 PM

Interview with Harold Ramis doing publicity for Year One talks a little about Ghosbusters 3:

http://www.mtv.com/movies/news/artic...95/story.jhtml

Bandit03 03-29-09 04:52 PM

For the lazy...

Ramis promised that all the old core players will take part in the updated version, including Bill Murray (Dr. Peter Venkman) and Dan Aykroyd (Dr. Raymond Stantz), who co-wrote the original films. "We're all going to be in it in different kinds of roles," Ramis said. "We're going to be the sage mentors. There are going to be young Ghostbusters."

As of now, no decisions have been made about just who those new Ghostbusters will be. But with Judd Apatow signed on as a producer, the Internet has been buzzing with gossip that comedians from his cinematic universe, such as Paul Rudd and Seth Rogen, will join in.

At the moment, Ramis is waiting on a first draft of the script, which is being penned by Lee Eisenberg and Gene Stupnitsky, two writer/producers on "The Office," who also wrote "Year One." "Gene and Lee, both of whom I mentored, are now writing the new 'Ghostbusters,' " Ramis said. "I'm consulting with them, as is Dan Aykroyd and [original director] Ivan Reitman.

"Bill Murray is just waiting for the truckload of money to arrive to get him out of his office," Ramis joked.

After taking a jab at his old friend, Ramis assured us that Murray is definitely "in," even though the two haven't communicated directly about the project. "I haven't talked to him about it," Ramis said. "I want to talk to him about it eventually. I think we just need a script, because he's the thorniest of the group."

Another open question is who will take over directing duties, since neither Ramis nor Reitman is planning on helming the picture. "I'm sure we're all hoping someone else will do it," the 64-year-old Ramis said. "It's a lot of work!"

While we await casting and directing news, Ramis was able to shoot down gossip about certain stars once thought to be attached to a third "Ghostbusters." "Here's how old the rumors are," Ramis said. "Chris Farley was one of the rumors. It was going to be Chris Farley, Ben Stiller and Chris Rock."

Whichever actors end up portraying the fresh crew of wisecracking ghost fighters will be in for a challenge. "Someone asked Seth [Rogen], and he said, 'What?' " Ramis recalled. "He said, 'That'd have to be one great f---ing script for anyone to touch that.' He's right about that."

Solid Snake 03-29-09 08:45 PM

Have to admit...the Ghostbuster films are great as is. Heaven forbid they do a reboot/remake...a proper sequel is badass. I'd love to see Rudd, Seagal, Rogen, or Robinson be it. Hell..bring Elizabeth Banks in it too. It'd have to a be a damn fine script though to bring us back in though. Do you think they'll put 3 in the title?

NitroJMS 03-29-09 09:13 PM

Would it be conceivable that the baby from the second one could be one of the new Ghostbusters? Cera would be about the right age.

Solid Snake 03-29-09 09:19 PM

Hmph..you're totally right.

Zen Peckinpah 03-29-09 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC (Post 9356781)
Have to admit...the Ghostbuster films are great as is. Heaven forbid they do a reboot/remake...a proper sequel is badass. I'd love to see Rudd, Seagal, Rogen, or Robinson be it. Hell..bring Elizabeth Banks in it too. It'd have to a be a damn fine script though to bring us back in though. Do you think they'll put 3 in the title?

You just nailed the four who should take on the proton packs as "new" recruits. Also, I'd kill to see another major or sub-Apatow player like Jason Bateman as a bureaucratic douche who doesn't feel very good about busting.

TheMovieman 03-29-09 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by NitroJMS (Post 9356822)
Would it be conceivable that the baby from the second one could be one of the new Ghostbusters? Cera would be about the right age.

And he looks like a guy who has been tormented throughout life named after a hot dog :lol:

Solid Snake 03-29-09 11:22 PM

Instead of scientists they holds just be recruits with NO scientist background like the original gang maybe. I'd kinda like a joke about the new recruits if there is also another black guy with 3 white guys...I know that sounds stupid but...I dunno...I'd love hear Robinson say shit about it...IF he were in it.

tylergfoster 03-29-09 11:46 PM

My vote still goes to Nick Frost. I'm down with Craig Robinson as well. I would accept Jay Baruchel. Then I'd probably suggest picking a woman, at which point I'd go with Kristen Wiig or Tina Fey. The comedy of Ghostbusters is low-key and sarcastic, and I don't know how well the major Apatow players would handle that.

golden_rod 03-30-09 01:20 AM

Originally Posted by droidguy1119 (Post 9357024)
The comedy of Ghostbusters is low-key and sarcastic, and I don't know how well the major Apatow players would handle that.

Terribly.

I could see some Jason Bateman and Paul Rudd, though.

Michael Corvin 03-30-09 07:21 AM

My four, just from pulling names from this thread:
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a76...SGG-064540.jpg http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a76...erbadprem7.jpg http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a76...-bateman-b.jpg http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a76...n/photo_28.jpg

While we await casting and directing news, Ramis was able to shoot down gossip about certain stars once thought to be attached to a third "Ghostbusters." "Here's how old the rumors are," Ramis said. "Chris Farley was one of the rumors. It was going to be Chris Farley, Ben Stiller and Chris Rock."
Talk about a terrible idea for casting. :eek: That movie would have been awful.

riotinmyskull 03-30-09 07:36 AM

seth rogen = egon
bill hader = ray
paul rudd = peter
craig robinson = winston

invisiblegt 03-30-09 11:53 AM

I, personally, would enjoy seeing Bill Hader, Paul Rudd, Seth Rogen, or Jason Segal in it. I would also love to see Craig Robinson in it, but only if he were a bit more "tame," a la his character from The Office.

However, no Jason Bateman, Jay Baruchel, or Michael Cera. Bateman has only been worth watching in one thing during the entirety of his career (Arrested Development), and even that did not require him to actually be "funny." Michael Cera's schtick is simply getting old, and it was never particularly "fresh" to begin with.

Ravenous 03-30-09 02:40 PM

All that casting is horrible. Just Rudd is any good. Everyone else is just flavor of the month actors who wont last for shit.

What is this love affair with that fat Screech twin Seth Rogen? That guy is an unfunny cancer.

My Other Self 03-30-09 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by Ravenous (Post 9358072)
What is this love affair with that fat Screech twin Seth Rogen? That guy is an unfunny cancer.

He lost a lot of weight and cut most of his hair off for The Green Hornet.

He's hilarious. I'd love to see him in it.

devilshalo 03-30-09 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by mcfly (Post 9358540)
He lost a lot of weight and cut most of his hair off for The Green Hornet.

Seth is sort of the Venkman and Stantz characters combined tho...