Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Ghostbusters 3 (2020 D: Jason Reitman)

Old 01-18-19, 06:26 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Ghostbusters 3 (2020 D: Jason Reitman)

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
Young Adult is Reitman's masterpiece.
you spelled Up in the Air wrong.
Old 01-18-19, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Agreed that NYC was an important element of Ghostbusters. The 80s New York attitude, the old architecture, all of that is a huge part of what made Ghostbusters what it was. In some ways, I don’t even know if GB works the further away from the 80s you get, with the post-Giuliani era, the cleaned up Times Square, and 911 and all of that baggage. New York is so much sleeker and shinier now and doesn’t have that beaten-down, hard-bitten feel it did in the 80s.
Old 01-18-19, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Dan View Post

Old 01-19-19, 05:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Jason Reitman hasn't made a masterpiece. He's made some good movies though. Men, Women and Children being my favorite. A movie nobody saw.
Old 01-19-19, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by Hazel Motes View Post
Jason Reitman hasn't made a masterpiece. He's made some good movies though. Men, Women and Children being my favorite. A movie nobody saw.
I did. And I thought it was great. I think I’m like the only person who commented in a thread about it.

I am a Jason Reitman fan. I celebrate the man’s entire catalogue.

I appreciate that he bounces around and tries new things. Even if it doesn’t work.
Old 01-19-19, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm looking forward to Jason Reitman's take on this more than anything. I enjoy seeing what the disciplined, low-budget filmmakers can do when they're put into a big budget project. Which seems to be the standard for comic book movies now.
Old 01-20-19, 05:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Whoa

Old 01-20-19, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't want to steer the conversation in this direction too much because it's been discussed to death and I didn't think the last one was all that bad--it's OK and my kids love it. But the fact is there is little chance it was profitable, with a production budget of $144 million (i.e. not including marketing and so on) and a worldwide gross of $229 million. So if the franchise was going to continue, they'd have to go another direction. And it doesn't sound like this one is even going to be an "all male" film.

Also, it's kind of funny that she says "we're going to redo Ghostbusters" like the film she was in wasn't a redo of Ghostbusters itself.

I can see where she would have a bad taste in her mouth after some of the crap they went through with their film, but not sure this is the right approach for her to take on this one.
Old 01-20-19, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yeah, she's talking like her Ghostbusters was the first and she doesn't get that this new one is part of the original continuity. (And somehow this all ties back to Trump.)
Old 01-20-19, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

You misspelled Up In The Air ​​​​​​
Old 01-20-19, 11:36 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
You misspelled Up In The Air ​​​​​​
Decker.
Old 01-20-19, 12:07 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Ms. Jones... Your Ghostbusters movie didn't fail because it was an all female cast, it failed and should be forgotten because it was simply not funny, completely devoid of any of the whit and sarcasm of the original, trying to feast purely on the lowest hanging "comedic" fruit. Fuck off.
Old 01-20-19, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Decker.
Wow, on my phone it looked like I was the next reply. Not used to the new format yet.
Great minds think alike I guess.
Old 01-20-19, 01:59 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
Great minds think alike I guess.
This is all that ultimately matters.
Old 01-20-19, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm really not sure how this franchise became that "beloved." Yeah, the first film is great and that's about it. The sequel was mediocre in '89 and it's still mediocre. I think the animated series was great and that's it. I don't care about the female remake - never seen it and don't care to. With Jason Reitman directing the official 3rd film - I don't really care.

What am I missing?
Old 01-20-19, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm really not sure how this franchise became that "beloved." Yeah, the first film is great and that's about it. The sequel was mediocre in '89 and it's still mediocre. I think the animated series was great and that's it. I don't care about the female remake - never seen it and don't care to. With Jason Reitman directing the official 3rd film - I don't really care.

What am I missing?
You have to realize what a phenomenon the original GB was. In the mid-80s after the Star Wars toy craze was slowly starting to die down, every kid my age had their share of ghostbusters toys. Action figures, proton packs, Halloween costumes, lunch boxes, t-shirts, etc. Its really more of a nostalgia thing than anything but I was a big pet of any child who grew up in the 80s life.

part 2 was, and still is, mediocre, the cartoon was great for young kids who loved Ghostbusters, part 3 is about 20 years too late, and the 2016 remake is forgettable. But the original, man....

Last edited by GoldenJCJ; 01-20-19 at 04:46 PM.
Old 01-20-19, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ View Post

You have to realize what a phenomenon the original GB was. In the mid-80s after the Star Wars you craze was slowly starting to die down, every kid my age had their share of ghostbuster toys. Action figures, proton packs, lunch boxes, t-shirts, etc. Its really more of a nostalgia thing than anything but I was a big pet of any child who grew up in the 80s life.

part 2 was, and still is, mediocre, the cartoon was great for young kids who loved Ghostbusters, part 3 is about 20 years too late, and the 2016 remake is forgettable. But the original, man....
Yeah, I grew up in the 80's and all that - even played with some made up ghostbuster paper badges we did in school but we were never frothing at the mouth for more. Hell, the sequel film was pretty much the nail on the coffin for the franchise.

I guess I feel the nostalgia is a bit misplaced since there isn't that much to the franchise to begin with. IMO
Old 01-20-19, 04:50 PM
Premium Member

You have to realize what a phenomenon the original GB was. In the mid-80s after the Star Wars toy craze was slowly starting to die down, every kid my age had their share of ghostbusters toys. Action figures, proton packs, Halloween costumes, lunch boxes, t-shirts, etc. Its really more of a nostalgia thing than anything but I was a big pet of any child who grew up in the 80s life.

And the song, which became a catch phrase... It was everywhere.
Old 01-20-19, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, in the mid-80s Ghostbusters was huge for a while. Maybe not Star Wars huge, but it was a marketing phenomenon. The logo was everywhere, it had a catchy theme song, and a Commodore 64 game with synthesized speech, which was a big deal at the time.

The sequel was kind of a dud and never recaptured the cultural cachet of the original.

Then Groundhog Day came out, Bill Murray stopped speaking to Harold Ramis, and that was that.
Old 01-20-19, 07:46 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

What am I missing?
Cultivated Identity.
Old 01-20-19, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It seems that the majority of the people that are frothing at the mouth for this and were against the female version weren't even born when the first one was out, so I don't get nostalgia factor when they weren't even around - hell they may not have been around for the sequel either, but Ghostbusters, fuck yeah?
Old 01-20-19, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It seems that the majority of the people that are frothing at the mouth for this and were against the female version weren't even born when the first one was out, so I don't get nostalgia factor when they weren't even around - hell they may not have been around for the sequel either, but Ghostbusters, fuck yeah?
It’s almost as if their rage at the all-female version of Ghostbusters has nothing to do with the movie itself...
Old 01-20-19, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It's tough to move quite a distance away from the elements that are part of a franchise. This seems to be a bit too far away for me to think of it as Ghostbusters 3. You could slap Jason Vorhees in the middle of a nursing home and call it Friday the 13th but it wouldn't seem like it would be true to what the series really is. Also, I agree that they greenlit this as they see it as their own Stranger Things. Might as well just bring on that entire cast to play the characters.
Old 01-20-19, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

From Dark Horizons:

Last week came the surprise announcement that a new “Ghostbusters” was on the way, one that Jason Reitman would direct and would serve as a direct sequel to the original two films – in the process ignoring the Paul Feig-directed 2016 reboot.

That announcement has already caused a lot of conversation online – some very happy, some very upset, many indifferent. The latter doesn’t describe comedian Leslie Jones, who played Patty Tolan in the 2016 film, and she has made her unhappiness with the decision known.

Responding to a fan asking Jason Reitman on Twitter whether he’d bring back the 2016 characters, Jones
the same tweet three times:

"So insulting. Like f–k us. We didn’t count. It’s like something Trump would do. (Trump voice): ‘Gonna redo ghostbusteeeeers, better with men, will be huge. Those women ain’t ghostbusteeeeers’. Ugh, so annoying. Such a dick move. And I don’t give f–k I’m saying something.”
Reitman previously said when the new film was announced: “I have so much respect for what Paul [Feig] created with those brilliant actresses, and would love to see more stories from them. However, this new movie will follow the trajectory of the original film.”

The new film is rumored to feature a female lead and a cast of young teens – two boys and two girls with speculation being at least one of them is related to the original characters. Production kicks off this Summer ahead of a Summer 2020 release.

Like any good liberal celeb, she manages to work Trump and sexism into one sound bite. Few people who love "Ghostbusters" liked your movie, dipshit. That's why.
Old 01-20-19, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

To be fair it is something he would do, he prides himself at rollbacks, but yeah waaaay off subject.

it doesn't even matter that people did or didn't like it, it ultimately lost a good deal of money as a new entry in a popular franchise. You cut your losses and move on. Business usually wins over feelings, though that seems like a thin line anymore.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.