Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Mission: Impossible Dead Reckoning – Part 1 (2023, W/D: McQuarrie) — S: Cruise

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Mission: Impossible Dead Reckoning – Part 1 (2023, W/D: McQuarrie) — S: Cruise

Old 12-16-20, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,648 Likes on 1,208 Posts
re: Mission: Impossible 7 (2022) — S: Cruise — W/D: McQuarrie

I looked at some comments online and some people think he's just an egomaniac being abusive on set. You know what, he's been making movies for 40+ years and is the reason the MI series has lasted as long as it has. Plus, he probably has tremendous pressure to get this movie done under extremely difficult circumstances with the pandemic. Who knows, there could have been a pattern of careless behavior on set? And maybe he just had enough? If the lighting guy or a PA is not wearing a mask or isn't following proper protocols, the set could get shut down by the unions or studio. Hundreds of jobs are on the line. This isn't about some nobody on set who can't handle being yelled at. I've worked in sports TV for 20+ years and have been verbally abused worst than what Cruise did.

And whoever recorded that audio probably lost his/her job trying to make a quick buck to make him look bad.
The following users liked this post:
JeremyM (12-16-20)
Old 12-16-20, 09:18 AM

Received 193 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14 View Post
He’s the kind of guy who probably buys whoever he reamed out a gift after.
One free auditing or something like it.
Old 12-16-20, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 599 Likes on 483 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
I looked at some comments online and some people think he's just an egomaniac being abusive on set. You know what, he's been making movies for 40+ years and is the reason the MI series has lasted as long as it has. Plus, he probably has tremendous pressure to get this movie done under extremely difficult circumstances with the pandemic. Who knows, there could have been a pattern of careless behavior on set? And maybe he just had enough? If the lighting guy or a PA is not wearing a mask or isn't following proper protocols, the set could get shut down by the unions or studio. Hundreds of jobs are on the line. This isn't about some nobody on set who can't handle being yelled at. I've worked in sports TV for 20+ years and have been verbally abused worst than what Cruise did.

And whoever recorded that audio probably lost his/her job trying to make a quick buck to make him look bad.
It seems overwhelmingly that people agree with him on this one. I just hope he doesn't apologize.
Old 12-16-20, 09:46 AM

Received 2,578 Likes on 1,765 Posts

He shouldn’t apologize.

It was a warning. It could’ve been worse!

Old 12-16-20, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 436 Likes on 310 Posts

He shouldn’t apologize.

It was a warning. It could’ve been worse!
I have friends that do production safety that don't care for him... because of his stunt work. He put 200 people out of work when he broke his foot/ankle on the last MI. They read the full transcript and while they agreed on his stance, still think he's a douche because of the way he made himself sound like the savior of the film industry and everything hinges on this movie.

As she said..
"That’s what I think of Universal and Paramount. Warner Brothers. Movies are going because of us. If we shut down it’s going to cost people f***ing jobs, their home, their family. That’s what’s happening."

Movies aren't going because of him. He's filming because of UNIVERSAL, if you're going by whatever measuring stick he is using.

Jurassic and Batman both came back before Mission. So, fuck you, Tom."
MysterioMan007 (12-16-20)
Old 12-16-20, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts

I can’t speak for exact contract terms. But he is also producer. He basically owns a business that borrows $100M+ and is expected to pay it back. If production shuts down because people can’t be respectful of the virus, that’s bad. Investors move onto safer investments.
Old 12-16-20, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Plus, as someone's already mentioned before, he shelled out his own personal money to rent a whole cruise ship to quarantine cast and crew members.

So it sounds like he's really got a lot invested in this production as well.
Old 12-16-20, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 149 Likes on 111 Posts

He's probably on edge thinking about movie theaters not being able to come back fully and dealing with the possibility of having to send these movies to streaming in some way. I don't think streaming revnue only can sustain these kinds of movies. Of course, how many more MI movies can he have in him at his age?
Old 12-16-20, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by windom View Post
He's probably on edge thinking about movie theaters not being able to come back fully and dealing with the possibility of having to send these movies to streaming in some way. I don't think streaming revnue only can sustain these kinds of movies. Of course, how many more MI movies can he have in him at his age?
He's working on a movie that has been shut down twice since March that has a 200-250M budget and employs thousands and they are working in the middle of a pandemic. You don't think he would be on edge about that more so than anything else?

Last edited by DJariya; 12-16-20 at 07:25 PM.
Jack Straw (12-16-20)
Old 12-16-20, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 109 Likes on 84 Posts

Esai Morales played Deathstroke. And he was a villain in Ozark. More than capable of playing a bad guy.
All I know of Esai Morales is that his first name is a highly popular NYTimes crossword clue.
[email protected] (12-17-20)
Old 12-16-20, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 150 Likes on 102 Posts

Heh, figured it wouldn't be too long before these started popping up:

Old 12-16-20, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Given that the film had previously been shut down due to Covid and what's at stake now, I'm fairly certain that everyone working on that film signed their consent to comply with the health precautions. There's millions of dollars and people's livelihoods and health at stake, and these two crew $hitbirds can't be bothered to follow a safety protocol?? His response was not OTL, and frankly they were lucky to have kept their jobs and not been fired on the spot.
Old 12-17-20, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts

Also who would leak that? What an asshole. That must hurt the teamwork dynamic on the set. And he probably just assured most of that crew will never be back.
Old 12-17-20, 12:16 PM
Premium Member

Received 626 Likes on 479 Posts

No.
Old 12-17-20, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 511 Likes on 386 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
It seems overwhelmingly that people agree with him on this one. I just hope he doesn't apologize.
Apart from the people who think they are being clever by connecting his angry outburst to his religion, the criticism I'm seeing is of his profanity, not his sentiment.

And to anyone who thinks his angry profanity was inappropriate, I say, "Fuck you!"
Old 12-17-20, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk God

Apparently 5 crew members quit after this incident.

https://www.nme.com/news/film/missio...e-rant-2841162

You know what good riddance.
Old 12-17-20, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Count Dooku View Post
Apart from the people who think they are being clever by connecting his angry outburst to his religion, the criticism I'm seeing is of his profanity, not his sentiment.

And to anyone who thinks his angry profanity was inappropriate, I say, "Fuck you!"
If you fuck up on your job, which could cost your company thousands, if not millions of dollars, you better believe you're going to get your ass chewed out. This movie has already been shut down twice, which has already cost the studio and crew lots of money.
Old 12-17-20, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm not going to post a link to it because I just don't care enough, but if you seek out the Tucker Carlson show from this week where is goes after Dr Jill Biden, they take on Tom Cruise at the end of the show. It's pretty insane what they do.
Old 12-17-20, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 179 Likes on 125 Posts

if you seek out the Tucker Carlson show from this week where is goes after Dr Jill Biden,
He is not wrong about the good Dr. You posted it expect feedback.
Old 12-17-20, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm not going to post a link to it because I just don't care enough, but if you seek out the Tucker Carlson show from this week where is goes after Dr Jill Biden, they take on Tom Cruise at the end of the show. It's pretty insane what they do.
Originally Posted by d2cheer View Post
He is not wrong about the good Dr. You posted it expect feedback.
Feedback is fine, but can I request an improvement in reading comprehension?

My reference to Dr. Jill Biden was only to help identify the episode. I was clearly drawing people's attention to the discussion of Tom Cruise in that same episode, which makes sense since this is a thread about Tom Cruise, not the Bidens, and my description of the discussion as "pretty insane" is clearly a reference to the Cruise discussion.

Whether Carlson was 100% correct or 100% wrong in his comments about Jill Biden, he was 100% attacking her.
Old 12-18-20, 08:37 AM

Received 2,578 Likes on 1,765 Posts

Well this rumor/news should go over less well around here...

The DailyMail is reporting Cruise is dating Hayley Atwell:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbi...dailymailceleb
Old 12-18-20, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 158 Likes on 126 Posts

I didn't read any articles, just watched some Youtube news reports. But I assumingly thought they were violating COVID protocols by going out after work / breaking a bubble. Apparently they were just too close together at the monitors on set? Damn, harsh to get yelled at for that. Sometimes you just forget and it's second nature haha

I get it though. I can see why Cruise is angry.
Old 12-18-20, 11:16 AM
and
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm thinking the same. This is pretty much the only major movie being made right now. He is right in his intentions at least. A lot of people and their families are depending on it
Old 12-18-20, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Perkinsun Dzees View Post
Heh, figured it wouldn't be too long before these started popping up:

Now it needs Mel Gibson added to it.
Old 12-18-20, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 642 Likes on 499 Posts

Well this rumor/news should go over less well around here...

The DailyMail is reporting Cruise is dating Hayley Atwell:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbi...dailymailceleb

Good for him!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.