Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Mission: Impossible – Dead Reckoning Part One (2023, W/D: McQuarrie) — S: Cruise

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Mission: Impossible – Dead Reckoning Part One (2023, W/D: McQuarrie) — S: Cruise

Old 05-23-22, 03:07 PM
  #251  
DVD Talk God
Thread Starter
 
DJariya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: La Palma, CA
Posts: 79,271
Received 3,723 Likes on 2,675 Posts
re: Mission: Impossible – Dead Reckoning Part One (2023, W/D: McQuarrie) — S: Cruise

Originally Posted by IBJoel
Is that Part One only or Parts 1+2?
The $300M is only for this movie the last I checked.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/mo...nt-1235116830/

This is from March and they said the movie wasn't completed yet when it was written. And that's with tax incentives included.

I know Paramount said they want to do a 45 day window before it hits Paramount plus for this and Top Gun. I think they would be foolish to stick to that for these movies. These are the kinds of movies that will have legs in the theater.

The following 2 users liked this post by DJariya:
IBJoel (05-23-22), JeremyM (05-24-22)
Old 05-23-22, 03:27 PM
  #252  
Banned by request
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Goodbye and Good Luck
Posts: 17,800
Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts
re: Mission: Impossible – Dead Reckoning Part One (2023, W/D: McQuarrie) — S: Cruise

Originally Posted by IBJoel
Is that Part One only or Parts 1+2?
That’s the trailer budget.
Old 05-23-22, 03:31 PM
  #253  
Administrator
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 3,045
Received 1,081 Likes on 630 Posts
re: Mission: Impossible – Dead Reckoning Part One (2023, W/D: McQuarrie) — S: Cruise

I might be the only person for whom this trailer doesn't really do anything

Looks like SO much. I generally did like Fallout though, even though it was too long. Rogue Nation I thought was bad. I'm sure I'll feel the same way about this as I did for Fallout.
Old 05-23-22, 03:39 PM
  #254  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Why So Blu?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 38,266
Received 1,208 Likes on 928 Posts
re: Mission: Impossible – Dead Reckoning Part One (2023, W/D: McQuarrie) — S: Cruise

Originally Posted by Throwing Copper
That looks so awesome. Hard to believe we were gonna get it this September and now we have to wait well over another year.

I still think they could have gone with Christmas time this year and made a ton of money.
Not against Avatar 2.
Old 05-23-22, 03:44 PM
  #255  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Why So Blu?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 38,266
Received 1,208 Likes on 928 Posts
re: Mission: Impossible – Dead Reckoning Part One (2023, W/D: McQuarrie) — S: Cruise

Originally Posted by DJariya
The $300M is only for this movie the last I checked.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/mo...nt-1235116830/

This is from March and they said the movie wasn't completed yet when it was written. And that's with tax incentives included.

I know Paramount said they want to do a 45 day window before it hits Paramount plus for this and Top Gun. I think they would be foolish to stick to that for these movies. These are the kinds of movies that will have legs in the theater.

Yes, to an extent, but I think Paramount wants P+ to succeed and they have really good numbers in terms of active subscribers. I wouldn't put it past them to get folks to subscribe to the service to reel them in that way.

This is fro March:


Paramount+
Paramount topped 56 million paid global subscribers combined between its streaming platforms, (primarily) Paramount+ and Showtime OTT, at the end of 2021, when the company was still called ViacomCBS.

The big news for 2022 was not necessarily Paramount+ growth (or the overall company’s name change): It was the expected future growth. Paramount executives revised their subscriber projections (and revenue, and content spend) way up, now expecting 100 million global subscribers between Paramount+ and Showtime by the end of 2024. That is much larger from the previous projections of 65-75 million subs made a year ago.

Paramount is clearly going all-in on streaming and while the Paramount+ commercials incessantly boast “a mountain of entertainment,” the true strength lies in the platform’s diversity of entertainment. From kids and family programming to Taylor Sheridan’s non-“Yellowstone” westerns, to live sports and news, to blockbuster movies, Paramount+ has a pitch for pretty much every TV household (just north of 120 million, according to Nielsen) in America.
https://www.indiewire.com/2022/03/ho...eo-1234705515/
Old 05-23-22, 03:47 PM
  #256  
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner
 
Decker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Vegas, Baby!
Posts: 76,617
Received 6,379 Likes on 4,365 Posts
re: Mission: Impossible – Dead Reckoning Part One (2023, W/D: McQuarrie) — S: Cruise

Originally Posted by IBJoel
I might be the only person for whom this trailer doesn't really do anything

Looks like SO much. I generally did like Fallout though, even though it was too long. Rogue Nation I thought was bad. I'm sure I'll feel the same way about this as I did for Fallout.
Am I alone in not being able to remember one film from another? I know what happened in each Bond film, will recall the specifics just based on the title. But this franchise, post MI:3? Nope, they all feel like the same movie to me. Kind of like Fast & Furious, post-Tokyo Drift -- they all kind of blend together. Honestly I can't remember which one had the cool bathroom fight. I think it was the most recent one, but don't remember the title of that film.
The following 2 users liked this post by Decker:
IBJoel (05-23-22), philo (05-23-22)
Old 05-23-22, 05:28 PM
  #257  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Runaway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 1,806
Received 401 Likes on 323 Posts
re: Mission: Impossible – Dead Reckoning Part One (2023, W/D: McQuarrie) — S: Cruise

Originally Posted by Decker
Seriously why make this movie a Part 1? It's a recurring character with tons of continuity and it's not based on any existing material. It can end in a cliffhanger and still have its own title. Very weird decision when you think about it.
I actually debated that with a colleague, inspired by your post (the debate, not the colleague). He had a pretty good theory.
In all the other movies, the impossible mission is finished, although some themes carry over to the next movie. He suggested, the Dead Reckoning mission isn't finished with the first movie, so there is a Part 2.
The following 3 users liked this post by Runaway:
Decker (05-23-22), IBJoel (05-23-22), majorjoe23 (05-23-22)
Old 05-23-22, 05:39 PM
  #258  
Administrator
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 3,045
Received 1,081 Likes on 630 Posts
re: Mission: Impossible – Dead Reckoning Part One (2023, W/D: McQuarrie) — S: Cruise

Originally Posted by Decker
Am I alone in not being able to remember one film from another? I know what happened in each Bond film, will recall the specifics just based on the title. But this franchise, post MI:3? Nope, they all feel like the same movie to me. Kind of like Fast & Furious, post-Tokyo Drift -- they all kind of blend together. Honestly I can't remember which one had the cool bathroom fight. I think it was the most recent one, but don't remember the title of that film.
I know Ghost Protocol had the Burj Dubai/Khalifa, Fallout had Henry Cavill, the fake nuke Wolf Blitzer opening, and the helicopter chase. I could not tell you a single thing that happens in Rogue Nation besides holding onto the side of a plane.

I think when movies become too focused on a movie star and set pieces in x-location, (something M:I and F&F are both increasingly guilty of) it becomes almost impossible to tell what's going on. The story becomes simply an excuse to move to the next exotic location and set piece and there's nothing to latch onto.

Last edited by IBJoel; 05-23-22 at 06:52 PM.
Old 05-23-22, 06:15 PM
  #259  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Why So Blu?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 38,266
Received 1,208 Likes on 928 Posts
re: Mission: Impossible – Dead Reckoning Part One (2023, W/D: McQuarrie) — S: Cruise

Originally Posted by IBJoel
I know Ghost Protocol had the Burj Dubai/Khalifa, Fallout had Henry Cavill, the fake nuke Wolf Blitzer opening, and the helicopter chase. I could not tell you a single thing that happens in Rogue Nation besides holding onto the side of a plane.

I think when movies become too focused on a movie star and set pieces in x-location, (something M:I and F&F are both increasingly guilty of) it becomes almost impossible to tell what's going on. The story become simply an excuse to move to the next exotic location and set piece and there's nothing to latch onto.

How soon they forget.



Old 05-23-22, 06:26 PM
  #260  
DVD Talk Hero
 
GoldenJCJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Colorado
Posts: 27,521
Received 3,285 Likes on 2,111 Posts
re: Mission: Impossible – Dead Reckoning Part One (2023, W/D: McQuarrie) — S: Cruise

Originally Posted by Runaway
I actually debated that with a colleague, inspired by your post (the debate, not the colleague). He had a pretty good theory.
In all the other movies, the impossible mission is finished, although some themes carry over to the next movie. He suggested, the Dead Reckoning mission isn't finished with the first movie, so there is a Part 2.
I’m guessing that’s more than likely the case. I think it’s entirely possible that part 1 ends on a massive cliffhanger.
Old 05-23-22, 06:49 PM
  #261  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Osiris3657's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Denver, Colorado
Posts: 9,964
Received 293 Likes on 185 Posts
re: Mission: Impossible – Dead Reckoning Part One (2023, W/D: McQuarrie) — S: Cruise

A full trailer for a movie that doesn't come out for another 14 months? The fuck?

I have a hard time believing the film isn't actually completely done (post production and all). They are just hanging onto this for some silly reason
Old 05-23-22, 07:08 PM
  #262  
Moderator
 
dex14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 45,315
Likes: 0
Received 4,685 Likes on 3,173 Posts
re: Mission: Impossible – Dead Reckoning Part One (2023, W/D: McQuarrie) — S: Cruise

Originally Posted by Osiris3657
A full trailer for a movie that doesn't come out for another 14 months? The fuck?

I have a hard time believing the film isn't actually completely done (post production and all). They are just hanging onto this for some silly reason
It’s a teaser trailer.

Read The Hollywood Reporter article that has been posted in this thread. It explains the reason why it was held.
Old 05-23-22, 07:09 PM
  #263  
Moderator
 
dex14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 45,315
Likes: 0
Received 4,685 Likes on 3,173 Posts
re: Mission: Impossible – Dead Reckoning Part One (2023, W/D: McQuarrie) — S: Cruise

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
I’m guessing that’s more than likely the case. I think it’s entirely possible that part 1 ends on a massive cliffhanger.
It’s already been reported that it does.
Old 05-23-22, 07:20 PM
  #264  
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY
 
OldBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Are any of us really anywhere?
Posts: 49,645
Received 950 Likes on 795 Posts
re: Mission: Impossible – Dead Reckoning Part One (2023, W/D: McQuarrie) — S: Cruise

I’m in the midst of an M:I marathon. Just started Fallout.
Old 05-23-22, 07:28 PM
  #265  
DVD Talk Hero
 
GoldenJCJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Colorado
Posts: 27,521
Received 3,285 Likes on 2,111 Posts
re: Mission: Impossible – Dead Reckoning Part One (2023, W/D: McQuarrie) — S: Cruise

Originally Posted by dex14
It’s already been reported that it does.
Uh yeah…I previously reported it just a few posts above yours…







Seriously though, I hadn’t heard that. I guess that makes it pretty obvious why it’s part 1 and part 2. Also, I wonder why they’d come out and report that this early.
Old 05-23-22, 09:34 PM
  #266  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
dhmac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Kissimmee, Florida
Posts: 7,422
Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
re: Mission: Impossible – Dead Reckoning Part One (2023, W/D: McQuarrie) — S: Cruise

Originally Posted by Decker
Am I alone in not being able to remember one film from another? I know what happened in each Bond film, will recall the specifics just based on the title. But this franchise, post MI:3?
Wow, I'm the exact opposite. The first 3 MI movies I didn't care for at all, but think MI 4,5, & 6 have been good fun action movies (especially the last 2). Meanwhile, I think, aside from Casino Royale, that the Daniel Craig James Bond films sucked most of the fun out of the series and have been mostly forgettable (especially the last 2).


Old 05-23-22, 09:47 PM
  #267  
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner
 
Decker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Vegas, Baby!
Posts: 76,617
Received 6,379 Likes on 4,365 Posts
re: Mission: Impossible – Dead Reckoning Part One (2023, W/D: McQuarrie) — S: Cruise

Originally Posted by dhmac
Wow, I'm the exact opposite. The first 3 MI movies I didn't care for at all, but think MI 4,5, & 6 have been good fun action movies (especially the last 2). Meanwhile, I think, aside from Casino Royale, that the Daniel Craig James Bond films sucked most of the fun out of the series and have been mostly forgettable (especially the last 2).
I never said they weren't good movies. I enjoyed them all. They just blend together in my mind and I can't really remember anything that happened in them besides some spectacular stunts and fights (and the end bit with Ethan's ex-wife).
I wouldn't claim that MI:3 was a terrific film, but I really remember so much more about it : the bad guy, the love interest, the partner who dies, the shocking and disorienting opening bit, Ethan's temporary death. It's a much more memorable film because it felt like it had an organic plot.
On the other hand I couldn't possibly tell you why Ethan was on the outside of the world's tallest building in Dubai or who he was there with. Or the name of the movie it was in. But it was a cool scene.
Old 05-23-22, 09:57 PM
  #268  
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner
 
Decker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Vegas, Baby!
Posts: 76,617
Received 6,379 Likes on 4,365 Posts
re: Mission: Impossible – Dead Reckoning Part One (2023, W/D: McQuarrie) — S: Cruise

And the names for the last three (and probably five) movies are just generic and boring video game titles. In some cases, literally.
As silly as the Bond titles are, most (but not all) at least have something uniquely to do with the movie itself.
The following users liked this post:
IBJoel (05-23-22)
Old 05-24-22, 02:52 AM
  #269  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Runaway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 1,806
Received 401 Likes on 323 Posts
re: Mission: Impossible – Dead Reckoning Part One (2023, W/D: McQuarrie) — S: Cruise

Originally Posted by Decker
And the names for the last three (and probably five) movies are just generic and boring video game titles. In some cases, literally.
As silly as the Bond titles are, most (but not all) at least have something uniquely to do with the movie itself.
To be fair, the Ghost Protocol is explained in the 4th movie and the Rogue Nation is the theme of the movie, since the Syndicate is a built around rogue agents and Ethan is a rogue agent, too. What they failed to do was setting up the Syndicate as their SPECTRE.
Ethan is going rogue in half of the movies and has to fight rogue or double agents in every movie, so it's not really that special.
Old 05-24-22, 09:34 AM
  #270  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
dhmac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Kissimmee, Florida
Posts: 7,422
Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
re: Mission: Impossible – Dead Reckoning Part One (2023, W/D: McQuarrie) — S: Cruise

Originally Posted by Decker
And the names for the last three (and probably five) movies are just generic and boring video game titles. In some cases, literally.
As silly as the Bond titles are, most (but not all) at least have something uniquely to do with the movie itself.
MI is no worse at titles than Bond. Most Bond movie titles tend to mix together some combination of the words Live, Die, Love, Gold, and Kill as almost like a running joke. (The Craig Bonds did seem to get away from this... until returning to it for his last one.)
Old 05-24-22, 09:35 AM
  #271  
Banned by request
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Goodbye and Good Luck
Posts: 17,800
Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts
Re: Mission: Impossible – Dead Reckoning Part One (2023, W/D: McQuarrie) — S: Cruise

Well the majority of the Bond films are just the titles of the Fleming Novels. So blame him for bad titleling.
Old 05-24-22, 09:37 AM
  #272  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 1,615
Received 115 Likes on 76 Posts
Re: Mission: Impossible – Dead Reckoning Part One (2023, W/D: McQuarrie) — S: Cruise

I dont give a shit if they run out of titles for MI. I will be first in line to every movie release they make. lol
The following users liked this post:
JeremyM (05-24-22)
Old 05-24-22, 10:34 AM
  #273  
DVD Talk Hero
 
TomOpus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 40,170
Received 1,310 Likes on 954 Posts
Re: Mission: Impossible – Dead Reckoning Part One (2023, W/D: McQuarrie) — S: Cruise

speaking of running...

Tom Cruise runs. But is he any good at it?
Old 05-24-22, 12:25 PM
  #274  
DVD Talk Hero
 
GoldenJCJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Colorado
Posts: 27,521
Received 3,285 Likes on 2,111 Posts
Re: Mission: Impossible – Dead Reckoning Part One (2023, W/D: McQuarrie) — S: Cruise

Originally Posted by Runaway
To be fair, the Ghost Protocol is explained in the 4th movie and the Rogue Nation is the theme of the movie, since the Syndicate is a built around rogue agents and Ethan is a rogue agent, too. What they failed to do was setting up the Syndicate as their SPECTRE.
Ethan is going rogue in half of the movies and has to fight rogue or double agents in every movie, so it's not really that special.
And…didn’t somebody FALL OUT of a helicopter in M:I: Fallout?

The following users liked this post:
IBJoel (05-24-22)
Old 05-24-22, 12:26 PM
  #275  
DVD Talk Hero
 
GoldenJCJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Colorado
Posts: 27,521
Received 3,285 Likes on 2,111 Posts
Re: Mission: Impossible – Dead Reckoning Part One (2023, W/D: McQuarrie) — S: Cruise

Originally Posted by TomOpus
I’m not going to read an entire article about Tom Cruise running but I did notice this new trailer features him running several times.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.