DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Glass (Shyamalan, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/646420-glass-shyamalan-2019-%97-spoiler-filled-reviews-thread.html)

OldBoy 01-13-19 12:52 PM

Glass (Shyamalan, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

[SIZE="3"]**SPOILERS WITHIN**[/SIZE]

Please continue pre-release discussion here.

Movie:
"Glass" [SIZE="1"](Starring: Bruce Willis, Samuel L. Jackson, James McAvoy, Sarah Paulson, Anya Taylor-Joy, Spencer Treat Clark)[/SIZE]

Release Date:
1/18/19

Rating:
PG-13 [SIZE="1"] (for violence including some bloody images, thematic elements, and language throughout.)[/SIZE]

Running Time:
129m. (2h. 09m.)

Budget:
$20 million (estimated)

IMDb Synopsis:
Spoiler:
Security guard David Dunn uses his supernatural abilities to track Kevin Wendell Crumb, a disturbed man who has twenty-four personalities.

IMDb Info and Rating:
8.6 (656 votes as of 1/13/19)

Rotten Tomatoes:
Fresh:15 Rotten:24 (38% as of 1/13/19)

Metacritic:
45 metascore ('Mixed or average reviews' as of 1/13/19)

Trailer:

Poster Art:
https://m.media-amazon.com/images/M/..._SX700_AL_.jpg

Disclaimer:
Wow! That wasn't easy with this new fangled website of ours. DVDTalk apologizes in advance for any broken links or funky formatting.

FiveO 01-13-19 04:20 PM

Re: Glass (Shyamalan, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

They should at least have lined up the actors name with their photo....guess my minor case of OCD doesn't like that.

I know the reviews aren't the best but I'm looking forward to this.

OldBoy 01-13-19 07:46 PM

Anyone else watching Split, again, before this?

DJariya 01-13-19 07:48 PM

Yeah I just watched Split last night for the first time ever. I can't believe it took me 3 years to finally see it.

I'm going to catch a 7pm Dolby show on Thursday.

OldBoy 01-13-19 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya (Post 13479681)
Yeah I just watched Split last night for the first time ever. I can't believe it took me 3 years to finally see it.

I'm going to catch a 7pm Dolby show on Thursday.

and, what did you think? What did you think of Unbreakable?

DJariya 01-13-19 08:00 PM

I liked Split. McAvoy was awesome and I didn't expect it to tie into Unbreakable with the Willis cameo at the end.

TheGuy 01-15-19 01:11 PM

Saw a preview last night. It started off well enough but

Spoiler:
when it got to the "pink room" scene it slowed way down, then by the end the huge "battle" that they were proposing never happened. Left many open questions, who were the shamrock people, what was with the crazy building, why was Glasses mother still using a Bondi blue iMac?

Shannon Nutt 01-16-19 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by TheGuy (Post 13480996)

Spoiler:
when it got to the "pink room" scene it slowed way down, then by the end the huge "battle" that they were proposing never happened. Left many open questions, who were the shamrock people, what was with the crazy building, why was Glasses mother still using a Bondi blue iMac?

The movie cost $20 million (and who knows how much of that went to Jackson/Willis). Anyone going into this looking for big action sequences should know better.

Ash Ketchum 01-17-19 10:29 AM

I just heard WOR AM Radio's film critic pan this film as "deadly dull."

dex14 01-17-19 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum (Post 13482282)
I just heard WOR AM Radio's film critic pan this film as "deadly dull."

Geez... how old are you???

E Unit 01-17-19 07:05 PM

:lol:

DJariya 01-17-19 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by dex14 (Post 13482339)
Geez... how old are you???

He's in his late 60's. I kid you not. Probably the oldest member her, so no surprise there.

Was going to see a 7pm show tonight at AMC, but the weather here in So. Cal is pretty miserable. I cancelled my ticket and re-bought it for Sunday afternoon instead.

dex14 01-17-19 08:46 PM

Well... the love/hate relationship with Shyamalan continues...

That was... interesting... I don't know...

I didn't think it was too bad for the most part. There is too much at the asylum and I can understand people thinking it is too slow. But these were never action movies and people shouldn't go in expecting one. I don't know why you would. It does have more than Unbreakable and Split though.

Everyone in it is good. McAvoy owns it once again.

The ending... yea... that is going to piss off a lot of people. I initially hated it. To the extent of I wish they never even bothered trying to make the "trilogy." I'm unsure at the moment how I feel about it. I need to sit with some more.

dex14 01-17-19 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by TheGuy (Post 13480996)

Spoiler:

They seemed to be (at least to me) a more misguided version of SHIELD or ARGUS. But yes, opens up way too many questions for what was supposed to conclude things.

HE Pennypacker 01-17-19 11:59 PM

Good flick. Not great. Understand some of the complaints. But to criticize the hell out of it to the point where some are calling it one of the worst films in YEARS?!
A lot of these critics have lost their minds. Shyamalan gets nitpicked more than any filmmaker in history - some of it warranted, but a lot of it not.

Why So Blu? 01-18-19 12:16 AM

I posted on this thread and my comment disappeared. It had spoilers but this is the spoliers thread is it not? Mods, did one of you guys delete the post?

GatorDeb 01-18-19 02:56 AM

I liked the first two. I prob will wait til Netflix but this is a must-watch for sure (it's incredibly hard for me to take 3.5 hours to go to the movies (including driving time, etc.).

dex14 01-18-19 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? (Post 13482772)
I posted on this thread and my comment disappeared. It had spoilers but this is the spoliers thread is it not? Mods, did one of you guys delete the post?

There aren’t any deleted posts in the thread.

Ash Ketchum 01-18-19 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by dex14 (Post 13482806)

There aren’t any deleted posts in the thread.

Of course not. They've been deleted!

Why So Blu? 01-18-19 09:51 AM

Let's try this again.

I enjoyed the film, with exception to the very final minutes of it -- when basically the film ends with the footage of the hospital fights going "viral." I initally thought was going to end with a gathering of new "heroes" at the train station. Someone asked about the the blue iMac from 20 years ago -- didn't the film take place years ago? I really enjoyed the music score and cinematography - there were some awesome shots and music cues throughout.

I knew there was going to be some shit involving the Sarah Paulson character - I mean, it's clearly telegraphed in the trailers, too. I guess this technically completes the primary trilogy involving these three characters. I'm sure if the film makes enough money they can continue the franchise going forward focusing on that "clover" group and what they're about.
Is the 36% RT score justified? Hell no. It's just cool to hate on M Knight. Go back and watch Unbreakable and Split and see if there's more "action" in those films as opposed to Glass. There isn't - the action quota is about the same.

dex14 01-18-19 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? (Post 13482923)
Someone asked about the the blue iMac from 20 years ago -- didn't the film take place years ago?

Not sure what you mean? This film takes place in current time.

The simple answer is... she's old and never bought a new computer. Hell, look at some posters on this forum who have posted pictures of their old equipment.

Why So Blu? 01-18-19 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by dex14 (Post 13482925)
Not sure what you mean? This film takes place in current time.

The simple answer is... she's old and never bought a new computer. Hell, look at some posters on this forum who have posted pictures of their old equipment.

Ah, gotcha. I thought I read a post above that mentioned the computer.

dex14 01-18-19 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? (Post 13482929)
Ah, gotcha. I thought I read a post above that mentioned the computer.

Someone did, but it seemed in the context of like... "why is this old bitch using such an old machine".

RichC2 01-18-19 09:59 AM

I read it as a joke.

dex14 01-18-19 10:01 AM

It is another twist!