DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Glass (Shyamalan, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/646420-glass-shyamalan-2019-%97-spoiler-filled-reviews-thread.html)

Why So Blu? 01-18-19 10:05 AM

Re: Glass (Shyamalan, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

:lol:

whotony 01-18-19 04:02 PM

Just got back from this.

im very disappointed.
Unbreakable is a top five favorite movie of mine and Split is just a very good movie.

This one is just not good.

i felt cheated or let down by this movie.

There was no emotional impact from this where Unbreakable just hit me hard emotionally.

So so many problems with the end.

Someone else said they were waiting for the rest of the heroes to show up at the station but it was just a viral video of the
end events.

I expected the Anya or Joseph Dunn to emerge as having powers too.

Mr Glass and Kevin Crumb get their big death scene but David gets to be murdered in a puddle without, without anything?

This movie left me with no feeling about it just empty.

Some of the editing bothered me.
I saw two scenes that had better edits in the trailers.
One was when Dunn breaks down the door and the other is when Beast throws Dunn into the water tank.

Its doubtful I’ll ever revisit this film again as I feels unnecessary.

Unbreakable is a 5/5, This one is max 2.5 maybe only a 2.
This makes me sad as I really wanted more of the David Dunn universe.

Why So Blu? 01-18-19 04:24 PM

Unbreakable 5/5
Split 4.5/5
Glass 3.5/5

dex14 01-18-19 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? (Post 13483237)
Unbreakable 5/5
Split 4.5/5
Split 3.5/5

um...

Why So Blu? 01-18-19 04:55 PM

Oops. Fixed.

fumanstan 01-18-19 07:19 PM

Day off work so I caught a morning show with some friends. It was ok? I'm mixed on this, on one hand the story takes some interesting turns and I like the "idea" of what Shyamalan was trying to do as far as how comics and superheroes are a thing in this world, but the execution was kind of all over the place and the movie felt like it lacked any sort of overall suspense or tension, especially compared to Split. Everything kind of just unfolds directly without any real build up, and I agree that the ending just felt odd and limped to the finish.

Initially I was wondering why this mental institution was housing murderers like Glass and the Horde with such minimal security, but I guess the whole mysterious organization running things is a good enough explanation. I'm OK with them not having a lot of background, but the way all the main characters were dispatched with was so anti-climactic, as was the ending scene with all the side kicks sitting around. I definitely expected something grander.

I have to say, McAvoy was amazing in this; even better in Split since we saw him flip between more personalities on the fly. Great stuff there.

auto 01-18-19 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by dex14 (Post 13483257)

um...

It was split.

PatD 01-19-19 02:22 PM

"Glass" is the most unnecessary sequel since "More American Graffiti" 40 years ago. Where "Unbreakable" is not just easily the best thing Shyamalan has put out on his, how shall we say, "ultra-spotty" filmography, it was a story worthy of the original Twilight Zone. "Glass" is a story akin to telling us what happened to the creature on the wing of the plane after William Shatner shot it. And the difference between "Unbreakable" and "Glass" is night and day. Where, "Unbreakable" is subdued, moody, stark, and intimate; "Glass" is broad and bordering on pure silliness. (Notice the "MG" pin on Elijah's ascot?) David Dunn's death is absolutely pathetic and depressing (beating out Captain Kirk in "Star Trek: Generations"). As others have said: there's no dramatic tension, there's no panache. It's not horrifically bad. It's just borders on a mess and purely disappointing.

Also, this movie barely features Mr. Glass. It is, as the reviewer on the Roger Ebert site put it: "Split 2".

Mike86 01-19-19 07:00 PM

I thought it was decent but overall the weakest of the trilogy. Definitely liked Unbreakable and Split more. It’s got good performances all around and it was kinda cool seeing Mr. Glass’ plan come together. I think I expected more from it though. I didn’t think the whole film would basically be taking place at that facility and thought there would actually be a bigger showdown between David and Kevin/The Beast (or whichever personality). It sort of felt flat and a bit underwhelming in how it ended and how easily all three were defeated. Still not a bad movie, but I think with the other two being so strong it’s a noticeable step down. I’d probably give it like 3.5/5.

asianxcore 01-19-19 11:18 PM

Saw this a few days ago with a friend.

As a few have already mentioned here, the film was a bit disappointing. The film doesn't flesh out any of the good ideas it actually has and is emotionally vapid during its entire run-time.

mwbmis 01-20-19 01:19 AM

I came across this headline, and it, in a few short words, kind of expressed what I thought.

‘Glass’ is an Adequate ‘Split’ Sequel and a Terrible ‘Unbreakable’ Sequel

I would actually classify up and say it is a very solid Split sequel, which is why I felt a little conflicted coming out of the movie. I just don't like what it did as a continuation of Unbreakable. .

Mike86 01-20-19 01:28 AM

Yeah, I can see that. McAvoy gives a great performance again, but it almost overpowers Jackson and Willis. It does play more like a Split sequel that shoehorns in the characters from Unbreakable. I still liked it but it could have been better.

DJariya 01-20-19 11:47 PM

I give it 3 stars and a C+

Hated the ending. I think I maybe dozed off for about 10-12 minutes after David and Kevin were apprehended and sent to the asylum. I think it dragged a little in the asylum sequence.

It did have some good things though. McAvoy was once again outstanding as Kevin and all the other characters. Liked seeing Willis and Jackson back from Unbreakable.

However, after the 1st act, I felt like David became an afterthought. Also, he hardly had any dialogue after the 1st act. Bringing him back and having him go out the way he did sucked. Being drowned by some Shamrock tattoo guy.

I did like the tie-in to Unbreakable with the death of Kevin's father, which impacted him, being linked to the train crash that David survived.

csant 01-20-19 11:50 PM

I really wanted to like it. But in the end I do not and I can't believe this shit got green lit in its current form. It was all over the place and I can't figure where the fuck M.Night is trying to go with it. I mean, I get the comic books stuff and think he could've expanded on it so much better then this damn movie. What a shitty fucking ending too. like someone mention it would've been better if people starting to realized they have actually powers. Blah, what a big let down.

Mike86 01-21-19 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by DJariya (Post 13484888)
However, after the 1st act, I felt like David became an afterthought. Also, he hardly had any dialogue after the 1st act. Bringing him back and having him go out the way he did sucked. Being drowned by some Shamrock tattoo guy.

Yeah, the David character felt underutilized big time. It feels a bit like Shyamalan wanted to do more with Kevin/The Beast and shoehorned the characters from Unbreakabke into a Split sequel. Even Mr. Glass while being the title character felt a bit underused at times to me. He doesn’t have a lot of dialogue really. I guess he orchestrates the escape and final showdown though. Definitely a weird movie in a lot of ways. I don’t dislike it but it’s puzzling with some of the choices made, and I can understand disappointment people have with it as a sequel to Unbreakable.

The Antipodean 01-21-19 02:16 PM

I enjoyed this more than I expected to considering the middling reviews. It's not perfect, and definitely could've been trimmed by 10 minutes or so of the asylum stuff, but I felt like it fit in well as the conclusion of the trilogy. Shyamalan's movies often grow on me with another viewing (I didn't rate Unbreakable when I first saw it, liked it more the second time, and now it's one of my favourites of his) and I think this one may hold up better in the long run than people are thinking.

Shannon Nutt 01-21-19 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by csant (Post 13484889)
I really wanted to like it. But in the end I do not and I can't believe this shit got green lit in its current form.

M. Night financed the movie himself. That's how.

HE Pennypacker 01-21-19 04:08 PM

Looking at some of the absolute TRASH that has garnered ~35% on RT over the months and comparing it to Glass - well, let's just say I don't agree with most critics. The flick has its flaws but I enjoyed it and thought it was fairly well made. Don't get some of the nitpicking of "plot holes" that seemingly only get applied to this degree for Shyamalan's movies. Totally get the criticisms about the ending though - I still don't know how I feel about it.

Caught the Thursday night viewing in a 'burb of Minny, MN and had a horrible experience for the last 20 minutes or so with a bunch of HOOLIGAN THUGS talking smack very loudly and laughing very obnoxiously. Should have requested a refund or credit. Might check out the flick again soon for that very reason (and for the fact that I enjoyed it).

Mike86 01-21-19 06:15 PM

Yeah, I find people are overly harsh on Shyamalan in general. He's definitely had his share of duds, but I feel like he's made a pretty decent comeback with his last few films (The Visit, Split, and now Glass). It feels like it became the cool thing at one point to hate on the guy in spite of not having all that bad of a filmography. I actually think he's got a pretty good output overall with some really standout bad films. Glass could have been better but it definitely could have been a lot worse. It in now way is a film that deserves a rotten rating and especially not one as low as it currently is.

Osiris3657 01-21-19 08:05 PM

I liked it until the reveal of a secret organization that hunts down and kills superhumans, and that Glass's plan all along was just to make superhumans known to the public. That was just too cheesy. If it had ended just with the 3 characters dying, I would have thought it was great.

csant 01-22-19 01:01 AM

I actually liked lady in the water (a lot) and will continue to watch M. Night stuff if it looks interesting. But Glass could have been so much better, it just felt like it was an extra hour of Split, with david and glass just added for the hell of it.

DaveNinja 01-22-19 11:42 AM

Saw it on saturday. It wasnt that good.

Hazel Motes 01-23-19 02:14 AM

I enjoyed this enough. It was ultimately a letdown though. I feel like so many scenes throughout the movie could have had a news scroll going across the bottom stating "this scene only exists as an attempt to keep some semblance of continuity". I thought McCavoy was excellent, as was SLJ. Bruce phoned it in from fucking Antarctica though. The ending at the train station didn't work. For one, you can't really suspend disbelief that surveillance footage shown within a movie thats supposed to be "real footage" is actually REAL when the footage itself is C.G.I. If real people in a real world, saw that footage, they'd clock it immediately as being fake. Even if they didn't show it onscreen and just showed reactions, the ending wouldn't have worked, for the same reason people don't buy paranormal videos or videos of UFO's, just about everyone would think its a hoax. There would be no mass hysteria. Also the whole subplot about the society of people who try to control the superheros feels like it was COMPLETELY lifted from Halloween 5 & 6. Right down to the reveal that the good doctor at the strange hospital was actually evil and even the tattoos on their wrists that were almost identical.

I haven't seen Unbreakable in years and I thought Split was good. Glass had its moments, but MNS just couldn't put it all together. There were just too many contrivances. 6.5/10

Dan 01-23-19 10:37 AM

The fuck was this piece of shit? :lol:

All that build-up, and "First Name Mr. Last Name... Glass" is just... good at tweaking with shit? Fuck outta here. He... he just pops out a lens in a totally realistic laser-labotamy machine? Orchestrated a viral video meant to show the world that Superheroes Are Real, but it's... the climax is quite literally just two jacked up dudes fighting in the parking lot... and one of them drowns in a puddle of water? Come the fuck on; this is some hot trash. Sure McAvoy is well-adept at doing an acting exercise that like every kid who takes a drama class has to do, but that's not enough to carry a movie (reminder: Split was bad too, but his gimmick was enough to make it somewhat interesting). His need to remind the audience of who was speaking (or "in the light") got old real fast. And :lol: when the doctor, for a reason I don't even remember, soaks David Dunn in his room, and 1) we don't even see it! :lol: and 2) we see him spit out some water but otherwise... he's fucking dry. The whole room is dry! :lol:

There are so many things wrong with so many aspects of this, it's just... it's such a mess. And that's not even getting into the hokey meta-narrative of the real villains; the doctor and her team who have been trying to hide these "superheroes" for 10,000 years, or the teenage girl basically being in love with Kevin, or... all the other very dumb, very bad plot points and acting and the director's cameo where he's the same dude from the first movie, but he's a good guy now!

If Split was supposed to be MNS's 'resurgence' and this is what he has to offer? Man... I'm tapping out.

For what it's worth, I loved the hell out of Unbreakable and I still think -- on its own -- it's a great film. But Split and Glass are trash on par with, like, Police Academy: Mission to Moscow.

devilshalo 01-23-19 02:01 PM

I liked it. I liked the connection it had to the trainwreck from Unbreakable. I liked the idea that Paulsen made them rethink their powers (if any) and placing doubt in them which they reluctantly overcame in the original movies. I liked that it is a continuation and not hampered in too many unnecessary recaps. The flashbacks to David and his son were ok as Unbreakable was such a long time ago and they made sense in context. Unbreakable was a slow burn, so I understood and expected the pacing on this.

I didn't like having the Beast and Overseer fight once the truth came out about Kevin's father also being on the train. As Glass mentioned, this is where the heroes team up, but they don't. Instead they continue their fight. And Glass doesn't end up dying as the villain, but more as a martyr to show the world that if you think you have abilities, you might actually have them. The cop out Last Jedi ending. And I had hoped that somehow, he would have been able to trigger the Osaka Building's destruction to prove the point. And I didn't care for David's death. If he were fully immersed and held underwater, I get that, but not in the puddle where he should have had the strength to overtake that cop (unless the shamrock militia were also superpowered.)