Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Final Destination - reboot

Old 01-11-19, 04:41 PM

Final Destination - reboot

New Line is gearing up for another trip with Death.

The company is restarting its Final Destination horror franchise, hiring scary movie mavens Patrick Melton and Marcus Dunstan to pen the script.

Final Destination proved to be a cornerstone for New Line’s horror business in the early 2000s. The first movie, released in 2000, set up the conceit: a character has a premonition of a horrific and deadly event, cheats his or her own death and saves several other lives’ in the process, only to have Death, as an unpersonified but unstoppable force, come, one by one, for the survivors.

The first movie was directed by James Wong and starred Devon Sawa and Ali Larter, making $112 million worldwide on only a $23 million budget. Four more installments followed through 2011, with the franchise balancing shock, blood and giggles while being a consistent moneymaker for New Line, grossing almost $700 million, even as the deaths became more and more elaborate.

Plot details for the sixth installment, which is being billed as a re-imagining of the franchise, were not revealed.

New Line is one of the few major companies working with horror, which is consistent with its long history, dating back to the A Nightmare on Elm Street years in the 1980s. Now it serving up chills via The Conjuring Universe, with a new Annabelle project being released July 3, and will open the second part of its Stephen King adaptation, It Chapter Two, Sept. 6.

Melton and Dunstan are horror vets best known for penning four of the Saw movies. They were winners on season three of Project Greenlight and also wrote Piranha 3DD. The penned the upcoming Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark for CBS Films and are working with horror producers Platinum Dunes on an untitled Christmas horror project set up at Sony and The Reckoning at Paramount.

The duo is repped by Verve, Underground, and Bloom Hergott.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...riters-1175489
Old 01-11-19, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Final Destination - reboot

I never did see the last one... hope they bring back Ali and MEW from the previous ones. I think they survived and they wrote off Devon Sawa.
Old 01-11-19, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by devilshalo View Post
I never did see the last one... hope they bring back Ali and MEW from the previous ones. I think they survived and they wrote off Devon Sawa.
5 was good. 4 is the only REALLY bad one. Ali Larter was offed in 2.
Old 01-11-19, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by devilshalo View Post
The last one is worth seeing if you are a fan of the series. Avoid spoilers if you can.
Old 01-11-19, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah it was as good a 5th entry as you could hope for.
Old 01-11-19, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This was a pretty decent series. I'd probably watch a new one.
Old 01-12-19, 01:51 AM

Originally Posted by dex14 View Post
4 is the only REALLY bad one.
That's the only one I've seen, of course. It was at the drive-in, the second film in-between two we actually wanted to see.

I should give these a shot, though, they look like silly, shocking fun.
Old 01-12-19, 04:23 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

5 was a good wrap up to the entire series. It put everything in full circle and tied it in to the 1st movie.

I agree that Part 4 about the NASCAR disaster was the worst one and if I'm not mistaken it was the shortest one too.

Part 3 had a really cool feature on the DVD. You could potentially change the fates of some of the characters like a choose your own adventure with your remote. It's similar to the new Black Mirror episode, but only on home video.
Old 01-12-19, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My son and I recently went through these (first time for me since they first came out) and this is a very enjoyable series. They tie into each other decently and some of the kills are so dang good (and many are funny).

I think part 4 had a couple of the funniest but some in each movie were enjoyable in a strange, satisfying way...for a horror movie fan (hope that doesn't sound to weird).
Old 01-12-19, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Probably the only horror franchise I enjoy. 1, 2 & 5 are all great. 3 & 4 are straight-to-dvd quality bad.

A reboot is probably good too as 5 tied a nice little bow on the entire franchise.
Old 01-12-19, 01:34 PM

3 does have a straigh to DVD quality to it, but it is nowhere near as bad as 4. I don’t even think it is bad.

Remember fan made Final Destination: Dark Age concept trailer that came out? We even had a thread about it: https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk...-dark-age.html

Last edited by dex14; 01-12-19 at 01:55 PM.