Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Wife (2018, D: Runge) S: Glenn Close, Jonathan Pryce

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 01-10-19, 09:19 AM

After nearly forty years of marriage, JOAN and JOE CASTLEMAN (Glenn Close and Jonathan Pryce) are complements. Where Joe is casual, Joan is elegant. Where Joe is vain, Joan is self-effacing. And where Joe enjoys his very public role as Great American Novelist, Joan pours her considerable intellect, grace, charm, and diplomacy into the private role of Great Man’s Wife.

Joe is about to be awarded the Nobel Prize for his acclaimed and prolific body of work. Joe’s literary star has blazed since he and Joan first met in the late 1950’s. THE WIFE interweaves the story of the couple’s youthful passion and ambition with a portrait of a marriage, thirty-plus years later—a lifetime’s shared compromises, secrets, betrayals, and mutual love.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3750872

84% on RT: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_wife_2018

Anyone see this? I remember it playing during the summer/early fall and hearing talk about Glenn Close for nominations. Close ended up winning the GG for Best Actress, Drama. It seems like Sony is going to try and expand to more theatres in the coming weeks due to the win.
Old 01-10-19, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: The Wife (2018, D: Runge) S: Glenn Close, Jonathan Pryce

I saw it. Itís not only one of 2018ís best IMO, but I feel Close gives the best performance by an actress.
Old 01-15-19, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by Daytripper View Post
I saw it. It’s not only one of 2018’s best IMO, but I feel Close gives the best performance by an actress.
Yea... Close is fucking great in this. Pryce is as well. I'm surprised he isn't getting some accolades for this too. I think the Oscar is between her and Olivia Colman. That last act... wow.

Also, Close's daughter plays the younger version of her character and she is fantastic as well. I look forward to seeing what she does in the future.

I didn't really look too much into the plot of this, but I did find it a bit predictable. Close's reaction and facial expressions in the beginning on the phone kind of gives away the story.

Last edited by dex14; 01-15-19 at 08:29 PM.
Old 03-25-19, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Glen Close should have gotten a Oscar for this.

Christian Slater was fun to watch too.