DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Polar (2019, D: Åkerlund) S: Mikkelsen, Hudgens, Winnick, Lucas -- Netflix (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/646362-polar-2019-d-%C5kerlund-s-mikkelsen-hudgens-winnick-lucas-netflix.html)

dex14 01-07-19 12:26 PM

Polar (2019, D: Åkerlund) S: Mikkelsen, Hudgens, Winnick, Lucas -- Netflix

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/M/...xNzM@._V1_.jpg

<iframe width="663" height="373" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/oMHwRal-AR8" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The world’s top assassin, Duncan Vizla, aka The Black Kaiser (Mads Mikkelsen), is settling into retirement when his former employer marks him as a liability to the firm. Against his will, he finds himself back in the game going head to head with an army of younger, faster, ruthless killers who will stop at nothing to have him silenced.

Premieres January 25, 2019.

RichC2 01-07-19 12:33 PM

Re: Polar (2019, D: Åkerlund) S: Mikkelsen, Hudgens, Winnick, Lucas -- Netflix

Jonas Akerlund? This will be...interesting.

Why So Blu? 01-07-19 12:43 PM

I just filled the cup.

melasnus 01-07-19 02:26 PM

Looks good, I'm in.

Brian T 01-07-19 03:57 PM

Kinda looks like Richard Dreyfuss at 1:39, but can't imagine he'd be in this! Or . . . ? :lol:

asianxcore 01-21-19 09:04 AM

I haven't read the source material but I am excited for this based purely on the Trailer.

I like that they used the deadmau5/Lights collaboration track 'Drama Free' in the Trailer as well.

4 days away!

GoldenJCJ 01-21-19 10:06 AM

I watched the trailer and thought “what the hell?! That’s NOTHING like the first trailer they released!” Then I realized the “first trailer” was for a different Mads Mikkelsen movie called Arctic. :lol:

You can understand my confusion.

E Unit 01-21-19 10:12 AM

Yeah, he's getting typecasted.

dex14 01-25-19 07:14 AM

This is up today, but wow... 0% out of 11 reviews so far. https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/polar_2019

d2cheer 01-25-19 08:38 AM

Shocking another Netflix shitshow??? Say it isn't so!! :lol:

I still thought the trailer looked cool and will check it out when time allows.

RichC2 01-25-19 08:41 AM

January is a theatrical dumping ground, apparently Netflix abides by tradition :lol:

OldBoy 01-26-19 08:19 PM

That sucks. I was looking forward to it. May still try it...

OldBoy 01-26-19 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by dex14 (Post 13488170)
This is up today, but wow... 0% out of 11 reviews so far. https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/polar_2019

wow those are brutal critiques...

E Unit 01-26-19 08:35 PM

I liked 45 minutes of the 2 hour movie. Just not a lot of substance and the "bad guys" were just bad in every respect, in the actors and their roles. Highlights were Mads (of course), and Kathryn Winnick. Lowlights were everything else. Action was okay, ending was dumb. Just kind of forgettable when we were done with it. Johnny Knoxville is in the first 5 minutes. I guess that was the only surprise for me, although not a good one.

Why So Blu? 01-26-19 11:54 PM

It was entertaining enough. It's basically John Wick meets Crank. I've never read the graphic novel. I did call the ending, though.

Decker 01-26-19 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ (Post 13485092)
I watched the trailer and thought “what the hell?! That’s NOTHING like the first trailer they released!” Then I realized the “first trailer” was for a different Mads Mikkelsen movie called Arctic. :lol:

You can understand my confusion.

:lol: That's what I thought this was too! Saw the trailer for that yesterday and it totally stressed me out.

OldBoy 01-27-19 11:31 AM

damn. really want to see this, but not so sure now...

Trevor 01-27-19 12:00 PM

Fwiw, the source material is on sale at Dark Horse Digital and Comixology this week. The trailer looked good, I’ll give it a shot.

asianxcore 01-27-19 01:41 PM

Saw this earlier today.

While Jonas Akerlund's hyper-stylized approach works for the film's approach to violence, it doesn't work anywhere else.

Even so, I'm curious to check out the Source Material.

GoldenJCJ 01-27-19 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by OldBoy (Post 13489637)
damn. really want to see this, but not so sure now...

Bro, it’s a Netflix movie. Just watch it. If it sucks turn it off.

Brian T 01-28-19 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by d2cheer (Post 13488211)
Shocking another Netflix shitshow??? Say it isn't so!! :lol:

Haven't seen this, but based on those reviews, plus mixed-to-negative reviews of so many other Netflix originals and pickups, and personal opinions of the ones I have seen, I do wonder if Netflix's policy of "creative autonomy for all" (or whatever they call it) will eventually give way to executive oversight of projects. Historically speaking, it has had advantages quite often. Not always, granted, but you have to wonder just how much stuff like this Netflix can foist on (literally) the world before the subscribers who are essentially funding it will push back or demand better. Then again, if Netflix figures their customers will watch anything it feeds them, well . . .

RichC2 01-28-19 09:59 AM

I look at most of them like higher budget HBO Friday Night movies in the 80s and 90s, and they fill their niche just fine.

Netflix should probably stop with the pick-ups, but they have yielded a few solid ones (Mowgli wasn't bad, The Little Prince was great), and a few less solid ones (Cloverfield Paradox comes to mind) but it seems like it's always a built-up to disappointment there.

At least they finished out 2018 strong (Roma, Buster Scruggs, Bird Box, The Christmas Chronicles, Dumplin) and good overall year (To all the boys that I've loved before, Set It Up, 22 July, Sunday's Illness, etc; ), though I do hope they continue making their B flicks like Wheelman. I'm a bit baffled by all the scrutiny they get in general, they'll release something highly rated and that goes by the wayside the second it can be written off. Even stuff like IO isn't all that bad but gets mercilessly slammed for one reason or another.

devilshalo 01-28-19 10:36 AM

I think I'm halfway thru. I turned it off and went to bed. Either be serious or be Smokin' Aces. Don't try to be both and fail miserably.

Viper187 01-28-19 12:01 PM

Netflix pisses me off. It was a good concept, but it turned into one more bullshit thing with exclusivity for no good reason. Nobody is subscribing just to see this movie, but they'll still make us wait 6 months for a disc release. The markets are mostly exclusive at this point. Why fuck over one set of customers when it doesn't really benefit anyone? Disc people will buy discs, and streaming people will stream. That's how it is. I'm still pissed Philly (2001) will likely never get a DVD but was on Netflix at one time. Nobody even cared enough to pirate it.

mphtrilogy 01-28-19 12:30 PM

I was out after the first 5mins.. these characters weren't anyone I wanted to spend any more time with...