Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Burning (2018, D: Chang-dong Lee) S: Ah-in Yoo, Steven Yeun, Jong-seo Jun

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 01-07-19, 07:36 AM

Kind of surprised there wasn't a thread about this already. Probably my favorite movie of 2018 (along with "Won't You Be My Neighbor"). Based on a short story from Haruki Murakami.
Currently 94% an Rotten Tomatoes, a score of 90 at Metacritic. I just loved the mood and tone, and it looked beautiful.

(Serious spoilers follow)

Spoiler:

Its amazing how the third act completely alters the film, making you reassess all that came before. At first you think you're watching a love triangle, but in retrospect its actually a horror movie. Except its told from a sideways point of view, almost in the way "Rosencrantz and Gildenstern Are Dead" handles Hamlet (without the comedy, of course). Steven Yeun was particularly powerful, sending all kinds of messages with just a simple look or a smirk. Even I was taken in at first when he started talking about burning down greenhouses, until I finally understood way too late - just like the protagonist.

Old 01-07-19, 07:42 AM

re: Burning (2018, D: Chang-dong Lee) S: Ah-in Yoo, Steven Yeun, Jong-seo Jun

Probably because Well Go USA barely distributes to any theatres. And it isn't On Demand or streaming yet. I'd like to have seen it but can't.

Here is a trailer:

BURNING is the searing examination of an alienated young man, Jongsu (Ah-in Yoo), a frustrated introvert whose already difficult life is complicated by the appearance of two people into his orbit: first, Haemi (newcomer Jong-seo Jun), a spirited woman who offers romantic possibility, and then, Ben (Steven Yeun, THE WALKING DEAD, SORRY TO BOTHER YOU), a wealthy and sophisticated young man she returns from a trip with. When Jongsu learns of Benís mysterious hobby and Haemi suddenly disappears, his confusion and obsessions begin to mount, culminating in a stunning finale.
Old 01-07-19, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

This was at TIFF last September and made my short list of choices to see, but as Lee Chang-Dong is one of those filmmakers who seems to get invited over and over again to TIFF no matter what he makes, I ended up taking a pass until later so I could see stuff from filmmakers I'm less familiar with. It IS kind of a shame about Well Go's limited theatrical releases, though -- I find a lot of their stuff seems to end up in the Big Lots racks in due time. Mind you, there's only so much of an audience for their tiresome parade of bloated, CCP-approved Mainland Chinese special-effects period epics, which I think hurts superior films like this one that they pick up from other Asian countries.
Old 02-01-19, 07:41 AM

This is now on VOD.

It is also available for free on Hoopla if your library offers it.

I started it last night but got tired and fell asleep.
Old 02-01-19, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Burning (2018, D: Chang-dong Lee) S: Ah-in Yoo, Steven Yeun, Jong-seo Jun

Originally Posted by dex14 View Post
This is now on VOD.

It is also available for free on Hoopla if your library offers it.
Thanks for the head's up. I use both Hoopla and Kanopy.
Old 02-01-19, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: Burning (2018, D: Chang-dong Lee) S: Ah-in Yoo, Steven Yeun, Jong-seo Jun

More thanks here. Seems to be available to Canadians via Hoopla as well. It's actually staggering just how much content is on both of those services for free, especially stuff that's NOT on Netflix or other streaming services. And all for the "cost" of a library card.

Last edited by Brian T; 02-01-19 at 10:06 AM.