Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Recently Watched Obscure/Unpopular Movies

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-19, 08:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently watch some pretty obscure movies that probably nobody knows about. and here is the list of some of them.

1. Dance Movie - Honey: Rise Up and Dance

Movie Synopsis : Street dancer Skyler comes out of the shadow of her trained dancer sister, Tosha, & joins a dance competition with the Honey dance studio; the prize is a college scholarship.

Starring : Teyana Taylor as Skyler, Bryshere Y. Gray as Tyrell, Sierra Aylina McClain as Tosha, and Kwajalyn Brown as April.

2. Volley Ball Movie - The Miracle Season

Movie Synopsis : After the tragic death of star volleyball player Caroline "Line" Found, a team of dispirited high school girls must band together under the guidance of their tough-love coach in hopes of winning the state championship.

This film is starred by Helen Hunt as coach, the main character. It also starred by a lot of young talented actresses such as Danika Yarosh as Caroline Found, Erin Moriarty as Kelley Fliehler, and Nesta Cooper as Lizzie Ackerman the cast also including Helen’s daughter Makena Lei Carnahan who acts as Ruby.

3. British Movie - London Road

Movie Synopsis : London Road is a musical drama that documents the events of 2006, when the quiet rural town of Ipswich was shattered by the discovery of the bodies of five women. The residents of London Road had struggled for years with frequent soliciting and kerb-crawling on their street. When a local resident was charged and then convicted of the murders, the community grappled with what it meant to be at the epicentre of this tragedy.

Starring : Olivia Colman as Julie, Clare Burt as Sue, Rosalie Craig as Kelly McCormack, Anita Dobson as June, and Hal Fowler as David Crabtree.

The musical stage has been made into a big-screen adaptation (same title) with Tom Hardy and Olivia Colman as the headline.

4. A Musical Philippines Movie - Bakwit Boys

Movie Synopsis : A supertyphoon ravages the hometown of a family band composed of four boys, putting a halt to their musical pursuits. While taking refuge in a distant farmland, they meet a rich girl who offers to help them record their songs and have them played on the radio. Individual interests and trauma caused by the calamity test the unity of the band, as they struggle to make sense of life’s ironies and tragedies.

Starring : Vence Larena, Devon Seron, Mackie Empuerto, Nikko Natividad, and Ryle Paolo Santiago

5. Turkish Family Movie - Umut apartmani

Movie Synopsis : Arif's father was an orphan, who lost no father before, and grew up without a father. Her mother lives in the neighborhood where she is born, far from the center of the city, with Makbule and her childish love for her neighbors Arzu, who are older than her. The shy child begins to write letters to Arzu. With the return of his grandfather ?hsan, who had abandoned them on time, the life of the little boy would suddenly become confused. ?hsan dede pretends to make paralysis to Makbule by the father, and the only one who knows the truth is Arif. The duo did not get along very well at first, because Arif was mature at the young age with the return of his fatherlessness. But things change when his grandfather discovers Arif's love for Arzu. Arif started to write more beautiful letters with the help of his grandfather. Ozan, which is a common loss of both, becomes a bridge that brings together two people, decades ago.

Starring : Ali Ipin as Ihsan dede, Alp özer as Arif, Fulden Akyürek as Makbule, Yasemin Bozdo?an as Arzu, and Ali Yagci as Ömer

6. Political Drama Movie - Affairs of State (2018)

Movie Synopsis : A young campaign aide gets in way over his head when he sleeps with the wife of a presidential candidate, sending him into a downward spiral of corruption and blackmail. He is left fighting not only for his career, but also his life.

Starring : Thora Birch as Callie Roland, Mimi Rogers as Judith Baines, Adrian Grenier as Rob Reynolds, David James Elliott as Senator John Boland Baines, and David Corenswet as Michael Lawson.

7. Drag Movie - Hurricane Bianca: From Russia with Hate

Movie Synopsis : After winning over the staff and students of Milford High School, chemistry teacher Richard Martinez aka Bianca Del Rio sent her nemesis Vice Principal Deborah “Debbie” Ward to jail in a flawlessly executed plan. When Debbie is released from jail, she conjures up a scheme to do away with Bianca Del Rio once and for all, by luring her on a dangerous journey to Russia to accept a teaching award and cash prize.

Starring : Roy Haylock as Bianca Del Rio, Alicia Goranson as Angela Jo, Kristen Johnston as Roksana, Dot Jones as Svetlana, and Doug Plaut as Rex.

8. Suspense Japanese Movie - Recall

Movie Synopsis : A woman was killed by a truck wheel, which flew off while the vehicle was in motion. As the freight company which owns the truck becomes the target of the public and the media’s wrath, Tokuro Akamatsu, the president of the freight company, realizes that a structural defect within the truck itself may have been to blame. A conspiracy of the wheel manufacturer's attempts to cover up a defective product is uncovered.

Starring : Tomoya Nagase as Tokuro Akamatsu, Dean Fujioka as Yuta Sawada, Issey Takahashi as Kazuaki Izaki, Kyoko Fukada as Fumie Akamatsu, and Joji Kokubo as Kodo Kimoto.

9. Malaysian Movie - Hilang Akal

Movie Synopsis : Desperate to find a dowry, a man stubbornly kidnaps a dictator to get a ransom. The situation became chaos when the kidnapped girl was her mother-in-law!

Starring : Farid Kami, Tiz Zaqya, Jasmin Hamid, dan Zaki Azeman.

Do you have any obscure movies that you want to share? any favorites?
Old 01-02-19, 03:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts
Re: Recently Watched Obscure/Unpopular Movies

A lot of the movies I watch are pretty obscure, but I think you've got us all beat, newbie. That's a pretty impressive list. At least now I know what Thora Birch has been doing since AMERICAN BEAUTY and GHOST WORLD. And Mimi Rogers! The one that sounds most intriguing is HURRICANE BIANCA: FROM RUSSIA WITH HATE.

I'll give you two:

One of the last movies I watched last month was:
KAMEN RIDER × KAMEN RIDER GAIM & WIZARD: THE FATEFUL SENGOKU MOVIE BATTLE (2013/Japan), a Japanese superhero movie spun off from a long-running TV franchise.

And the first movie I watched this year (yesterday) was:
LOVE PARADE (1963/Hong Kong), a musical-comedy-romance about a female gynecologist who marries a male fashion designer. It's pretty bizarre.
Old 01-02-19, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,097 Likes on 794 Posts

Over the weekend I watched Map of the Human Heart on Hulu.

It's about an Inuit Eskimo named Avik, and his life-long love for a half-breed girl named Albertine. Most of the movie takes place during WW2 while Avik serves aboard a British bomber crew. There is also a love triangle. It stars Jason Scott Lee, Anne Parillaud, and Patrick Bergin. It was directed by New Zealand filmmaker Vincent Ward.

I saw it in at the "Art Cinema" when it came out 25 years ago. I remembered it as a powerful and moving love story. I was less impressed in my old age.

After (La Femme) Nikita, Parillaud was a shiny object for a few years.
Old 01-02-19, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,802 Likes on 1,125 Posts

Last night my wife was watching "Left Behind" (2014) with Nick Cage on Netflix. Yes, THAT Left behind based on the Christian book that deals with the Biblical idea of God taking people from Earth for the Rapture and is a reboot of the early 2000's LB series. it was like watching a Whitewashed Madea/Tyler Perry film with all the God/Preachy stuff and none of the ghetto jokes and man in Drag stuff.
Old 01-02-19, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 615 Likes on 453 Posts

Assuming the selection don't necessarily have to be good, I think I can get even more obscure from the past couple of months' viewings:

THINGS (1989)

Canada is just fuckin' weird sometimes. If Wayne and Garth made a horror movie, this would probably be it:

<iframe width="425" height="260" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/a0PEgUgM9f0" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

PROJECT NIGHTMARE (1977 / 1988)

Don't think a trailer exists for this one, so this is the whole movie. The parallels to the later Cabin In The Woods seem less coincidental as the film goes on . . .

<iframe width="425" height="260" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/HHIFGzN7GeI" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

CARIBE (1987)

<iframe width="425" height="260" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/GRlkMeItAts" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

THE LIBERATION OF L.B. JONES (1970)

Opening credits from William Wyler's last movie. Seems to only be available on MOD disc, at least from the library here:

<iframe width="425" height="260" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/vB7_XCy6l3U" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

DARK INTRUDER (1965)

This was apparently a TV pilot refashioned for a big screen release. It's on a double feature MOD disc with William Castle's far superior NIGHT WALKER with Barbara Stanwyck.

<iframe width="425" height="260" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/goFKNx1DkSA" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

MERCY (2014)

A rightfully buried Blumhouse / Stephen King collaboration

<iframe width="425" height="260" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/VLoRVEFQGaA" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

M (1951)

Remake of the 1931 film, and surprisingly almost as good!

Segment:

<iframe width="425" height="260" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/NiEg7ZH8vcE" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

LOVE ME DEADLY (1973)

<iframe width="425" height="260" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/_WaKRXlnC4w" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

THE RUSSIAN WOODPECKER (2015)

I probably shouldn't include this one since most documentaries aren't necessarily "obscure" by definition as they inevitably make the festival rounds, etc. But hey . . .

<iframe width="425" height="260" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/q1poYZCO7qk" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

THE POSTERIST (2016)

Another doc. Saw this at a special screening at the TIFF Bell Lightbox a couple of years ago with the director on hand, and more recently picked up a decent HK special edition. Frankly, it could've been better, but it's a decent enough tribute to a phenomenal yet humble and unfairly forgotten movie poster artist:

<iframe width="425" height="260" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/jKRCwXNz6Vc" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

DIE DIE DELTA PI (2013)

I frequently question my complete inability to NOT watch shit like this But it's, like, THERE, so . . . :

<iframe width="425" height="260" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/DDaILPbvVnY" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

FILM (1965)

Samuel Beckett + Buster Keaton short film. Watched with the less obscure 2015 documentary NOT FILM.

Segment:

<iframe width="425" height="260" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/NeUiuW82uSs" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Also:

POSSE FROM HEAVEN (1975)
THE HOUSE WHERE HELL FROZE OVER (aka KEEP MY GRAVE OPEN) (1977)

Last edited by Brian T; 01-02-19 at 12:27 PM.