Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Your Worst/Most disappointing Movies of 2018

Old 01-02-19, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Your Worst/Most disappointing Movies of 2018

Isle of Dogs as well. A sizable disappointment from Anderson. It was good but didn't coalesce into much of anything impactful. It never engaged on any significant level other than technical appreciation.
Old 01-02-19, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

A24, my go-to studio for best/favorite movies of the past 3 years, pretty much let me down in 2018.
Hereditary didn’t improve on a re-watch.
Mid90s, Which I was most hyped to see, had a massively meh 2nd act. And while 8th Grade ended up being one of the better films I saw this year, it wasn’t good enough for the top echelon. At least we had First Reformed though.
Hopefully 2019 can reclaim that old glory.
Old 01-02-19, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Mary Poppins was so underwhelming to me. I love Lin Manuel Miranda's work and Emily Blunt is so perfect, but the movie and music ended up so bland and uninspiring.
Old 01-02-19, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Mike86 View Post
I almost put Halloween on my list too. Is it good? Sure. Competently made? Yes. As good or better than some (keyword) of the sequels? Definitely. Best of the sequels? Debatable. My argument with the film all along was that it needed to blow me away to make up for the fact that itís telling the audience none of the other films matter. I know some will say that thereís already a few timelines, which while true doesnít make this one better. Itís just the newest one. Clearly the end of the film is setting up more films, which are likely to fall into the same trappings as earlier sequels. Had this film definitively ended the story I might feel differently about it. As is itís just another sequel and I enjoy some of the other sequels more. Itís got a lot of stupid shit in it and a lot of very convenient things that happen to make things come together for the story the film is telling. Itís not as brilliant or good as some like to believe in my opinion.
Who on earth said this film was brilliant!? Watchable? Yes. Better than the other sequels? Most definitely. Brilliant? Get real.
Old 01-02-19, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
Yup, never saw the cartoon. If they act that way, I'd probably hate the cartoon too. I guess that Teen Titans cartoon is meant for really young kids and is more or less a slapstick version of the characters.
Yeah, unless you were seeing it with moviepass or a list or something (or your kids dragged you to it) I can't see watching a movie based on a cartoon I've never seen before. It's definitely not the normal wolfman/perez era teen titans at all; in fact if not for the name and the references it would be unrecognizable. Shoot the movie doesn't even follow the continuity of the show that well. I did think it was particularly mean spirited with the time travel stuff, but I talked to my kids about it at length.

But the show's humor is basically the same. There's one episode where Robin basically cripples Kid Flash to win a race as the rest cheer him on, and my wife basically forbid them to watch it without one of us present.
Old 01-03-19, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy View Post
Incredibles 2. Easy. The original was a masterful work on so many levels, as art, as pop culture entertainment, as a visual masterpiece, as sublime storytelling, and as a top-notch superhero adventure.

Incredibles 2 was perfectly enjoyable, forgettable product. Fun to watch but left zero impact whatsoever. A decent cheeseburger compared to the most exquisite steakhouse dinner.

i watched it just for my kids. For me, i find it incredibly boring. I might be the only one that hates this franchise.
Old 01-03-19, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Venom
Old 01-03-19, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

The Mule really was a letdown. The trailer just made it look like an high tension thrill ride. Instead, I got a family drama, lots of driving and singing and Clint having a threesome.

Ant Man and the Wasp didn't really do it for me either.
Old 01-03-19, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I was really jazzed going into "Halloween", but I was just underwhelmed. I'm always interested to see Indie film directors tackling a Sci-Fi or Horror thriller just to see what a fresh perspective can bring to it, but I didn't find anything new or different here. It might as well have been "Halloween 11, or 12, or...".
Old 01-03-19, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Blind bought and still have to see Ready player One and Falling Kingdom,
Old 01-03-19, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Teen Titans Go! To the Movies is probably the only one that stands out to me. It had a couple decent moments but overall, just loud, brash and annoying.
Old 01-04-19, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom by a lot. The Jurassic Park/World franchise has nothing but disappointing sequels but at least each of the sequels is fun to watch for the dino scenes... until now.

Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom fails on every level once it leaves the island early in the movie (and it wasn't too good before then either). For me, it's "The Last Jedi" of the Jurassic movies, the one that ruined things so much that it killed my further interest in continuing to watch the franchise. And I saw it in a Dolby Cinema theatre which wasn't enough to make it seem better.

( And although The Predator deserves a dishonorable mention - as bad as it was, it wasn't as completely awful as the 2 Alien vs Predator movies which still are the absolute low point of any Predator related movies )
Old 01-04-19, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Jurassic World, Solo, Ready Player One all were big misses for me this year. There were plenty of worse movies but these are the ones I had high hopes for going in.
Old 01-04-19, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Black Panther easily as most disappointed for sure. One of the few Marvel films I will not own.
A Quiet Place second.

Sure there are some DTV crap or stuff I only saw on home video but I am only listing the movies I saw in the theater
Old 01-04-19, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin View Post
Teen Titans Go! To the Movies is probably the only one that stands out to me. It had a couple decent moments but overall, just loud, brash and annoying.
Wow, I thought it was a pleasant surprise and better than I could have expected. I find the regular Teen Titans Go! show almost unwatchable, even as a DC fan.

Teen Titans Go! To the Movies Blu-ray Review - DoBlu.com
Old 01-08-19, 04:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Goldberg74 View Post
My biggest disappointment in the theater this year was Venom.

So many things were wrong with it... I donít know where to start or where I would end.

Top 5 Disappointments of 2018:

1. Venom
2. Pacific Rim Uprising
3. Rampage
4. Skyscraper
5. Maze Runner: The Death Cure

(I saw 27 theatrical releases in 2018)
Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca View Post
With the exception of Hotel Artemis I don't think anybody had high expectations for those other movies.
Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
I am surprised by the hate for Happytime Murders. Sure, it wasn't great or anything, but how could you have high expectations going into seeing it? I thought it was moderately funny.

The only one that comes to mind is Jurrasic World. Hugely disappointing after how good the 1st one was.
Yeah I think the worst movies of 2018 is different than the most disappointing movies of 2018. I guess we're including both.
Old 01-08-19, 04:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy View Post
Incredibles 2. Easy. The original was a masterful work on so many levels, as art, as pop culture entertainment, as a visual masterpiece, as sublime storytelling, and as a top-notch superhero adventure.

Incredibles 2 was perfectly enjoyable, forgettable product. Fun to watch but left zero impact whatsoever. A decent cheeseburger compared to the most exquisite steakhouse dinner.
This.

I've been looking forward to a sequel to Incredibles for what? 14 years? and as serviceable as 2 is you hit it on the head that it just totally paled in comparison to the first. I can't even really put my finger on why it just felt so bland.

I'll also include Wreck it Ralph 2 in there. For this one I had already tempered my expectations as I knew it wasn't going to include a lot of video game references that was a huge reason why I loved the first one so much. But it was just like the Incredibles 2. A perfectly serviceable sequel that is missing what made the first one so special. This kind of felt like a remake of the emoji movie. The best part was with the Disney Princesses and that was spoiled by the previews.