Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

For those who hate/won't see movies in the theater, what's your reason?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Why won't you see new movies in the theater?
The expense -- Too expensive for tickets, concessions, going out
49.02%
Location of theater is inconvenient
15.69%
Hate crowds & obnoxious movie-goers
68.63%
Work/Life schedule
19.61%
Child care issues
5.88%
Anti-social/Anxiety issues. Don't like being around people
9.80%
Local theater that's closest to me is poor quality
7.84%
Release window to home video is short enough that I don't feel the need to see it ASAP
27.45%
Prefer watching movies at home on DVD/BD at my own pace convenience
31.37%
Other reason -Name it
9.80%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-18, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

Yeah so for those here who hate or won't see movies in the theater, what's your reason? Money? Your hate crowds? Work/Life schedule makes it next to impossible? Child care issues because you have small kids? The window between theater and home video is close enough that you don't feel the need to go out and see it right away? You just prefer to see movies in your house?

Name your reason. I know there are many here who don't visit the theater.

Now with AMC A-List, Cinemark's program, and to a lesser degree Movie Pass, it's gotten more affordable to see movies in the theater. But, are you still choosing not to go for whatever reason?

Do you feel those programs won't work for you?

Last edited by DJariya; 12-29-18 at 09:51 PM.
Old 12-29-18, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,204 Likes on 2,068 Posts
Re: For those who hate/won't see movies in the theater, what's your reason?

Two small children. We still try to see the BIG movies we’re interested in but we don’t go nearly as much as we used to.

Prior to having kids, my wife and I would go almost weekly. We’d see pretty much anything we were remotely interested in in the theater.

Frankly, stopping our movie outings was one of the harder things to adjust to when we had our first child.
Old 12-29-18, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

Deja vu?

https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk...ore-often.html
Old 12-29-18, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

Originally Posted by Sonic
Wow, I didn't even remember that thread. It was from 2 years ago. You actually remembered it?

On the other hand, that thread was made Pre-AMC-A-List and Movie Pass.

I think Movie going habits have changed in the last 2 years for some with those discount programs. I know I go to the movies much more now than I did 2 years ago.
Old 12-29-18, 09:43 PM
Premium Member

Received 695 Likes on 465 Posts

I do still go to a lot of movies (and yeah, MoviePass really helped), but when I don't it's generally because of cost. I won't touch the concessions, it's outrageous. Luckily, around here there are a lot of "cheap days", and during the winter our Cinepolis has all showings for 5 bucks on Mon-Thurs.
Old 12-29-18, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Wow, I didn't even remember that thread. It was from 2 years ago. You actually remembered it?
Not really. I don't think I voted on it either because my name is not showing up.

I was doing a search for a thread I made a few years ago which is very similar to yours but noticed the thread from 2016 popped up in the search.
Old 12-30-18, 12:45 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts

I've probably seen more movies in theaters than anyone else here, having worked in the business from 1991-2001 and seeing everything for free. When I was a projectionist I considered it my duty to do so, just to ensure that the presentation was everything that it should be. A great theater presentation can really make or break a movie- a great presentation can save a bad movie, and an awful presentation can ruin a great movie.

I would go at least once per week to a GOOD theater no matter what it was showing, but no theaters in my area meet that criteria. Moviepass would have been a good deal normally, but to get the most out of that I would want to see as many movies as I could, and the theaters here are more of a chore than a pleasure to attend. These are the reasons why I hardly go to theaters anymore:

*New theaters have had screens installed with native 1.85 ratios, so scope (2.35) movies are smaller just like at home. At first these screens at least had top and/or bottom masking, which made that shortcoming less obvious when it was always set that way, but first they started having the masking come up in between showings so that the annoying ads could be shown on a "larger" screen (my reason for leaving my last theater job at Regal, as I firmly believe masking should NEVER move when people are in the theater to see it unless you're running a double feature) and now they aren't even using the masking at all, just showing the movies letterboxed- and the newest theaters don't even HAVE movable masking. This is a HUGE step backwards and I simply won't support it. It looks sloppy and unprofessional, and lessens the difference between seeing a movie at a theater vs at home (which is inherently a compromise and has some unavoidable shortcomings.) This is on top of the long-running trend of installing screens that are simply too SMALL to make it worth going out for.

*3D movies being shown in 2D- for example there are NO 3D showings here of "Ralph Breaks the Internet" right now, and checking shows for Bumblebee and Aquaman show ONE 3D showing of each per day. Theaters have said this is because fewer people are going to 3D showings, but I would bet that the main reason for that is the UPCHARGES for it. Sad that they would reduce or eliminate 3D showings before they would stop charging extra for it (and honestly, regular prices are high enough as they are. In the 50s, theaters didn't charge extra for 3D, they used it as an incentive just to get people into the theaters at all.) I would probably have seen every 3D movie recently shown in theaters as well, but have seen very few of them because of the upcharges (but I wait to see them at home or don't see them at all, I don't go the cheap route and see the crappy 2D showings instead.) And yes, I know some people either "don't like" or "can't handle" 3D, but there's still plenty of 2D movies they can see instead. Bottom line is that'd be much less of an issue if theaters weren't charging extra for it.

*Pre-show commercials- advertising simply has no place on a theater screen, especially at the prices being charged. Yes, I know theaters don't get to keep much if anything from the ticket price, but that's not my problem. This is another thing that makes going out more similar to staying home. The biggest insult was seeing commercials in 3D after paying extra for that- on the other hand, if the showing of 3D commercials made it possible for the upcharges to be dropped completely, I would've been much more accepting of them.

*Continued disregard for presentation quality- in the days of film I saw many inexcusable mistakes made (bad focus and/or framing, damaged prints due to improper handling, etc), the move to digital was supposed to fix all of that but now I've seen many digital presentations with a ridiculously dark picture. Since digital equipment can completely run by itself with nobody present to start the shows, it seems theater staff are paying even LESS attention to what's on their screens. I don't know what causes the dark pictures with digital equipment, but anyone working at theaters now should know and be able to FIX it. One theater here even had a dead front left channel for TWO YEARS, with nobody apparently noticing until I pointed it out. I had seen one movie there and wasn't sure if that's what the problem was, but figured it'd be fixed. Two years later (to the day!) I saw another movie on that same screen and the speaker was definitely dead. Everyone who had been working there during that time should have been fired for not noticing. I would have felt awful if I had let that go for even ONE DAY at any theater I worked at.

*Fellow patrons who aren't there to watch the movie- I don't know why people even go to theaters when they aren't interested in watching the movie, but they often ruin it for those who are, talking during the movie, playing with their phones and constantly going in and out of the theater during the show. Another case where the idiots have won.

*Inconsistent and indifferent support of advanced sound formats like Atmos- many theaters still aren't equipped for it (I doubt there's a single multiplex that has it in ALL of its auditoriums) and those that are often don't bother to advertise or even list it. I have Atmos at home, while it doesn't blow me away as much as 3D, for a premium price I expect it to be there. (In the 80s, many theaters only had stereo in their biggest auditoriums with mono sound in the rest, meanwhile I was watching VHS tapes and TV broadcasts at home in stereo!)
Old 12-30-18, 04:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Just for the record, the poll allows you to pick multiple reasons, not just one. I selected four myself.

But the main reason I don't go to theaters much anymore is not included. The choice of movies is pretty poor.

I did pick "Location of theater is inconvenient" and "Local theater that's closest to me is poor quality." I have to go to Manhattan to see most movies and ever since I retired I find it harder and harder to muster up the will to get on the subway and go downtown. I usually have to give myself several reasons to go into Manhattan so I can kill two or three birds with one trip. And the theaters I used to like to attend are all gone. Pretty much only the multiplexes are left. There is one multiplex left in the Bronx and it's a short bus ride away, but I don't like the theater or the audience there much. I may have to see BUMBLEBEE there, though, if I want to see it in a theater.

I once had 16 theaters within walking distance of my home and even more in Manhattan within walking distance of my school or job, but that all changed in the Bronx by the 1980s and in Manhattan by the 21st century.

Last edited by Ash Ketchum; 12-30-18 at 04:20 AM.
Old 12-30-18, 04:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,732 Likes on 1,885 Posts

Two factors:

1. A general dislike of crowds, crowded theaters, not getting to pick who I sit by. There’s too big of a chance I’ll be in a crowded theater stuck next to some asshole who ruins the experience, either by being noisy or constantly getting up, leaving, and coming back.

2. Time management. Basically a whole evening to go out and see a movie (getting ready, driving to theater, arriving early to get a good seat, watching the movie, driving home) when it’s more convenient to stay at home and watch it.
Old 12-30-18, 08:05 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Now that moviepass is virtually dead and $11.50-$20 Regal is my only option, I’ll be back to skipping the theater. Almost $100 to take my family out for a movie night ($45 minimum even if just tickets), versus waiting a few months and owning it forever for $5-10.
Old 12-30-18, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 218 Likes on 165 Posts

Our family still goes to the movies, but we just wait until the film we want to see has been out a few weeks so we aren't mashed in a crowded theater with people who won't shut up talking.

I swear every time we go to the theater, it never fells there will be people with 3 or four small children who will talk, cry, and kick the back of our seats.

Most people act like they are at home on the couch while watching a movie at a theater. It's to the point where we will wait for the release on home video than to play 30 bucks to hear other people talk the entire film.
Old 12-30-18, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Primary reason: Crowds. Probably already posted this before, but when I went to see The Last Jedi, I had a guy next to me who was constantly chewing/sucking on a licorice rope and kept unwrapping the cellophane. This went on for a good 10 minutes. I even tried the old glaring but I don't think he noticed. Then when I thought he finally was done... he opened ANOTHER licorice rope and started all over again.

Another story, Rogue One this time (what is it with Star Wars?), I was sitting 4 seats in. A family of three sat down, mom, dad and their like 5/6 year old son. Now, one would think they'd sit their kid in between them and not next to a total stranger, right? Nope. Mom on the end, then dad and then they sat their kid next to me. Needless to say, the kid was getting bored and this theater has those reclining seats and he decided to lay down like he was taking nap...
Old 12-30-18, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

My home theater probably killed my love to goto the movies. When I got a DVD player in 1998 and then set up my home theater a few months later, I never wanted to goto the theater anymore. Yes there are exceptions like a Star Wars movie that are an event and nostalgia, but that’s about it. It’s really no different then not wanting to goto Football games anymore as my big TV and my couch is a much better experience. In the past 10 years, I have only been to a handful of football games and a handful of movies.
Old 12-30-18, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Sonny Corinthos
Most people act like they are at home on the couch while watching a movie at a theater. It's to the point where we will wait for the release on home video than to play 30 bucks to hear other people talk the entire film.
And what about those sick sonsabitches that bring blankets into the theater?

https://forum.dvdtalk.com/other-talk...e-theater.html
Old 12-30-18, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by mcnabb
My home theater probably killed my love to goto the movies. When I got a DVD player in 1998 and then set up my home theater a few months later, I never wanted to goto the theater anymore. Yes there are exceptions like a Star Wars movie that are an event and nostalgia, but that’s about it. It’s really no different then not wanting to goto Football games anymore as my big TV and my couch is a much better experience. In the past 10 years, I have only been to a handful of football games and a handful of movies.
After our first son was born I went out and bought a 125” screen and projector for the basement. It’s not exactly the same as the theater experience, and I still enjoy seeing a big movie on opening night with an enthusiastic crowd, but it has worked out well for after we put the kids to bed on Friday and Saturday nights! It’s also probably saved me several thousand dollars in movie ticket savings.

Honestly, home theaters aren’t that expensive (if you don’t go overboard). And projectors today don’t even need a very big room. You could easily make a home theater out of a spare bedroom.

Last edited by GoldenJCJ; 12-30-18 at 11:26 AM.
Old 12-30-18, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 551 Likes on 343 Posts

Human beings are shitbags. That is the reason. Shut the fuck up, learn to chew quietly and keep your brats at home.
Old 12-30-18, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Sonny Corinthos
I swear every time we go to the theater, it never fells there will be people with 3 or four small children who will talk, cry, and kick the back of our seats.

Most people act like they are at home on the couch while watching a movie at a theater.
I saw Mary Poppins Returns the other day and can REALLY relate. A woman with a brood of three kids came and sat down one seat away from me after the movie had already started. She then made the youngest boy switch seats with her (he had initially taken the seat closest to me). I assume she was being overly protective and wanted to act as a barrier between her precious children and the grown-ass man who came to see a Mary Poppins sequel by himself.

Anyway, she brought along a big duffel and (much like Mary Poppins and her magical carpet bag) started pulling all sorts of crap out of it: blankets, bags of teddy grahams and little sports bottles full of juice for each child. It took her about ten minutes to get all that crap situated, so it was a tremendous distraction in my peripheral vision. Finally, I just got up and moved back a row. The only other free seat was behind her oldest kid, who kept rocking his seat back and forth during the entire movie and constantly kept whining "I'm THIRSTY!" despite having the juice bottle next to him that the mother smuggled into the theater.

Then there were the two obnoxious older ladies (clearly mother and daughter) to my right who reeked of perfume and kept talking in full voice to each other every five minutes: "Is that Meryl Streep? I swear, that woman can play anything. Have you seen Mamma Mia 2 yet?" For all that is merciful, just STFU when you're in a movie theater.

Last edited by joe_b; 12-30-18 at 12:10 PM.
Old 12-30-18, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

I still go to the theater but I go a lot less than I used to. A few reasons for me.

First of all my theater often has been having technical issues. There’s been a number of times when I’ve gone and the picture screws up (usually the screen goes like a pinkish color or is distorted).

Also showtimes generally suck. Like a lot of times they’ll only have a couple shows a day and they tend to be at the most inconvenient times for me that it’s hard to go.

Lastly the crowds. Usually they’re pretty decent but I’ve had my share of annoying people. When I went to Aquaman last Saturday these people behind me were talking loudly amongst themselves. I didn’t care so much during the previews, but it was like five minutes into the movie and they were still chatting away. I finally turned around and said: hey come on be quiet (which is something I never do). They were for a little bit but started back up again. I got fed up and moved (luckily it was a matinee showing that wasn’t completely full).

Last edited by Mike86; 12-30-18 at 11:30 AM.
Old 12-30-18, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Having three kids is the biggest hurdle for us, but even then I don't feel the need to see most movies in the theater when I'm perfectly happy renting them for free from our local library once they are out. I would rather relax with a drink in my hand on our leather sofa in front of a 135 inch screen surrounded with speakers knowing I can pause it at any time to go pee
Old 12-30-18, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 848 Likes on 592 Posts

In no particular order:

- not very comfortable
- ticket price/concession price
- can't pause the movie to take a piss (or rewind if I missed something)
- have to sit through endless commercials before the movie
- overall convenience

The straw that broke the camels back for me was having to sit through 35 commercials before a movie last year. Not even movie trailers but actual commercials. 35 commercials! I was pissed beyond belief having paid so much money for a movie ticket and still having to sit through commercials. Unacceptable.

No movie theater can offer the same level of enjoyment I receive watching a movie at home. It's not even close.
Old 12-30-18, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 131 Likes on 102 Posts

I don't go to the theatres for a few reasons:

1. Most theatres used to be in convenient locations like the downtown core, shopping malls etc. In the last twenty years they have been built on a farmer's field on the outskirts of town.

2. My age. I used to go to quite a few movies in the my teens and twenties as just something to do with dates/friends.

3. The 3 month window between the theatre and the DVD release. Back in the 1980s/1990s it was at least 6 months or more if the film was a hit.

4. Too many other entertainment options today.

As far as crowds and rudeness is concerned, I wonder if it has really gotten worse or whether we had a greater tolerance/lower expectations years ago?
I clearly remember going to matinees as a kid and there were constant kids coming-and-going to the concession stand/bathroom. People would talk back to the screen sometimes - which, when it was something witty, would often be more amusing than anything written in the movie.
Old 12-30-18, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

I'm at the theater almost everyday now. There's one walking distance from work and with Sinemia I can get my money's worth ten-fold in no time.
Old 12-30-18, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
I'm at the theater almost everyday now. There's one walking distance from work and with Sinemia I can get my money's worth ten-fold in no time.
I'd love to see you continue doing that when you getting married / have kids, lol.

For me, I only now go to the big "event" movies like Avengers, Aquaman, etc. I did see Bohemian Rhapsody and A Star Is Born in theaters because of the musical performance aspect of it. I used to see more dramas in theaters but its just too damn expenses. I would love to see the Favourite but am waiting for physical release.

Another thing for me is that for the cost of $15-$20 I can get the blu ray plus a digital copy and enjoy it at home with fresh popcorn and a clean bathroom with as many people as I want, or maybe more beneficially, no one.
Old 12-30-18, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 393 Likes on 281 Posts

For me its mostly the other movie patrons that cant seem to STFU. Seriously why the need to comment on things during the movie and not quietly. We do have a chain that does $6 movies on Tuesdays and that is when I tend to go now. Last movie I saw one of the people near me fell asleep and snored loudly through half the damn movie which was almost funny.... almost.
Old 12-30-18, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by jpcamb
For me its mostly the other movie patrons that cant seem to STFU. Seriously why the need to comment on things during the movie and not quietly. We do have a chain that does $6 movies on Tuesdays and that is when I tend to go now. Last movie I saw one of the people near me fell asleep and snored loudly through half the damn movie which was almost funny.... almost.
At Aquaman, I had to ask the woman in front of me three times to stop turning her phone on. It was in torch mode. She gave me attitude each time, like I was the one out of line.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.