Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

For those who hate/won't see movies in the theater, what's your reason?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Why won't you see new movies in the theater?
The expense -- Too expensive for tickets, concessions, going out
49.02%
Location of theater is inconvenient
15.69%
Hate crowds & obnoxious movie-goers
68.63%
Work/Life schedule
19.61%
Child care issues
5.88%
Anti-social/Anxiety issues. Don't like being around people
9.80%
Local theater that's closest to me is poor quality
7.84%
Release window to home video is short enough that I don't feel the need to see it ASAP
27.45%
Prefer watching movies at home on DVD/BD at my own pace convenience
31.37%
Other reason -Name it
9.80%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

For those who hate/won't see movies in the theater, what's your reason?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-19, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: For those who hate/won't see movies in the theater, what's your reason?

I don't mind watching movies in theaters....still see a few here and there.

Couple reasons I prefer to wait until they're on VUDU and just buy them:

1. Cost. For what it costs me to go to the movie, gas/ticket, etc...I can just buy it 2.5-3 months later.

2. Idiots. Yesterday I saw The Mule. The lady 2 seats away was wearing so much perfume it was making my eyes water 2 seats away...for the entire movie. Ugh!

I much prefer just waiting and buying movies when they come out on VUDU.
Old 01-15-19, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 331 Likes on 250 Posts

Thought of another reason for this when browsing Fandango online just for fun- yet another problem with newer theaters is the ridiculously small number of seats available! Smaller theaters combined with larger seats has resulted in about 50 seats total in some auditoriums! The first theater I worked at had 209 in its smallest ones, and we thought THAT was pretty small! Some of these new theaters also have only about 4 or 5 rows of seats altogether, so if even a handful of people come then the good seats are likely taken already. I always like to sit in the 'sweet spot' but that gets increasingly difficult. Reserved seating sort of lets you get around that, but not only does that mean having to plan to see a movie well in advance, but you get charged a "convenience fee" for buying your tickets online on top of that! I was looking up movies that I could conceivably head out and see, but most of the good seats were already taken and I'd end up sitting at an angle or too close to the screen (remember watching "Batman" at an angle, and vowed never to do that again!) If you've got a nice big theater with 900 or so seats on the other hand, on a regular day it's more likely that you'll get at least a decent seat even if there's a good number of others there.
Old 01-15-19, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

That is why reserve seating is good.
Old 01-15-19, 04:50 PM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm not a fan of those reclining seats theaters have now.

But my friend has a 120 inch projector and a nice sound system, so we just tend to wait and watch at his place
Old 02-06-19, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 867 Likes on 391 Posts

Generally I like assigned seats. Don't have to rush to get there, can go to consessions/bathroom beforehand, etc.

But, this has happened to me 2 out of the last 3 movies I went to. I got the first 2 (assigned) seats about a week earlier (Circled). Then day of the show someone buys seats right next to us. As you can see it wasn't a sell out. I checked before we left home to see how crowded it was going to be and those seats next to us were empty.
And for good measure the old bitch fell asleep and started snoring.

Old 02-06-19, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 825 Likes on 546 Posts

That’s exactly what I was talking about earlier, except mine wouldn’t even be in the middle just to be safe. Why the fuck would someone willfully sit next to strangers when all those seats are available. Give me the old seating every time.
Old 02-06-19, 05:43 PM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

That's why I always choose the aisle.
Old 02-06-19, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,725 Likes on 1,881 Posts

You need to buy extra seats to guarantee nobody sits next to you.
Old 02-06-19, 08:36 PM

Received 1,899 Likes on 1,121 Posts

People are weird.
Old 02-07-19, 03:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I’m lucky, no one ever picks the front row in the theater by me. I always take the first or second row so I don’t have to watch the back of people’s heads during the movie. I’m surprised the front two rows are empty most of the time.
Old 02-07-19, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Love going to the movies, but never fails, I'll always get the asshole next to me who has to check his cellphone every 10 minutes or some idiot that walks in after the movie has started and thinks someone else is in his reserved seat.
Old 02-07-19, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
That's why I always choose the aisle.

Old 02-08-19, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Obnoxious Movie-Goers have definitely curbed how often I go to the theater.

Giving up my time & money only to be greeted with Cell Phone Screens at their brightest settings being used throughout the film, or constant talking wears on me.

It was a bit easier to deal with when I was fully abusing MoviePass, seeing a film a day. At the cost of (almost) nothing, it made dealing with crowds a bit easier.

Without it, I'm paying $8-12 locally for films or driving 1-hour to San Francisco, CA paying even more for tickets and even more for Parking. Not worth it.
Old 06-17-19, 05:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

I went to the Friday morning 10:00 AM show of GODZILLA KING OF THE MONSTERS at my local multiplex, expecting the theater to be quiet and nearly empty. Instead, while waiting on a (long) line for the only open cashier, I watched a steady stream of school kids getting off of buses and entering the theater. I didn’t think they’d be going to GODZILLA, but after the movie started in my theater, several classes of kids entered, right in the middle of the Mothra introduction scene. Someone turned on the full house lights so the kids could find seats and fill up the near-empty theater. I moved to the aisle seat in my row (the back row) so I wouldn’t be sandwiched between anybody. Their teachers (or keepers—whatever they were) sat in my row so the kids were constantly running in and out in front of me to ask them questions and there was a constant flow of people to the concession stand to bring back food and distribute it, often right in front of me. Plus constant conversation. Nobody seemed to be watching the movie.

I knew I’d never make another effort to see this again, so I stuck it out as long as I could. But at some point I’d had enough of the constant distraction—and the fact that what I’d seen so far of the movie was abysmally awful—so when the first story arc ended at the 70-minute mark, I got up and left. I did get a cash refund (and I wasn’t the first to ask) and the promise of a free pass if I would wait for the guest services guy at the cashier after getting the refund, but since I’ll probably never go to this theater again, I didn’t bother waiting.

I mentioned all this to a teacher in my building and she said that the theater should have reserved screenings exclusively for the kids and not sent them in with regular moviegoers. She said I should have found out what school it was and complained to the school about the kids’ chaotic behavior.

I went to the AMC Theater website to figure out how to complain, but all they had was a form that required way too much personal info (phone number?!), so I didn’t fill it out. But it was clearly a case of bad management by the theater and poor supervision by the schools.
Old 06-17-19, 06:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

A few years ago I had an issue with a theater and sent an email. It was routed to the specific theater and I got a nice response from the manager. We actually had a nice back-and-forth conversation for a few days. You missed out on a free pass or two.
Old 06-17-19, 08:18 AM

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
....waiting on a (long) line for the only open cashier....
That would have made me walk. I can find other/better things to do instead of waiting in line for something.
Old 06-17-19, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

No reason to wait. Just buy online.

I belong to Victory rewards at Alamo Drafthouse. I buy my ticket online. When I get to the theater I walk into the theater and go straight to my seat. I just show my server my confirmation email on my phone. So damn and quick.
Old 06-17-19, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 331 Likes on 250 Posts

That SHOULD have been a good time for those kids to learn proper theater behavior. The theaters I worked for would have also held the movie starting until they all got in.