Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Police Story and Police Story 2 -- 4K limited re-release

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 12-27-18, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Re-release trailer

Here's all the theaters that will be playing this limited 4K theatrical re-release

Police Story and Police Story 2 will be screening in weeklong engagements at the Alamo Drafthouse (Downtown Brooklyn), the Alamo New Mission (San Francisco), and the Music Box (Chicago) beginning Feb. 1, as well as at the Los Angeles NuArt (March 8-14), the Coolidge Corner Cinema (Boston, Feb. 1-2), Landmarkís Ken (San Dieg, Feb 1-2), the Alamo Drafthouse Ritz (Austin, Feb 2-3), the Alamo Drafthouse Yonkers (Feb. 4), the Alamo Drafthouse Littleton (Denver, Feb 6), SIFF Cinema (Seattle, Feb 8), the Hollywood (Portland, Feb. 16-23), the Alamo Drafthouse LaCenterra (Katy, Feb. 19), the Charles (Baltimore, Feb. 28), and the DIA (Detroit, May 26-28).
Old 12-27-18, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Re: Police Story and Police Story 2 -- 4K limited re-release

Fantastic that this is happening, but the only date I get is a freaking Tuesday?! Somebody did not think that through. Supposedly this is also getting a Criterion release as well which would make me dump my Shout Factory release for sure.
Old 12-27-18, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by Kedrix View Post
Fantastic that this is happening, but the only date I get is a freaking Tuesday?! Somebody did not think that through. Supposedly this is also getting a Criterion release as well which would make me dump my Shout Factory release for sure.
Yeah, the Janus Films logo is a bit of a giveaway that Criterion will be releasing. And here I just bought the recent UK versions. I'm just glad the theatrical rollout is happening in my town, and I don't care what day of the week it is.
Old 12-27-18, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I might have to check out the Charles showing. I can get a Thursday night off for this.
Old 12-27-18, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

These look to be sourced from a company called Fortune Star. I believe that's where Eureka sourced their prints from.

If you guys are region free just import the UK boxed set. They're great.
Old 12-27-18, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

No showing in my area so Iíll definitely get the Criterion discs.
Old 12-27-18, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
These look to be sourced from a company called Fortune Star. I believe that's where Eureka sourced their prints from.

That's not really the point. The point is that this is returning to theaters for a limited time after 30+ years with a new transfer.
Old 12-27-18, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by LorenzoL View Post
No showing in my area so Iíll definitely get the Criterion discs.
Yeah, I was hoping for a Toronto date, but I guess not. But I'm in for the Criterion discs.
Old 12-27-18, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
That's not really the point. The point is that this is returning to theaters for a limited time after 30+ years with a new transfer.

So it's going to be the transfers used in the Eureka set but projected. Same shit, different drink then.
Old 12-27-18, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I hope this is a sign that Criterion will be releasing more Hong Kong titles in the future. They really need to put out restored versions of stuff like Drunken Master 2, the Project A movies, A Better Tomorrow, The Killer, Hard-Boiled, Bullet in the Head, Peking Opera Blues, The Blade, A Chinese Ghost Story, the Once Upon a Time in China movies, City on Fire, etc.
Old 12-28-18, 03:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Perkinsun Dzees View Post
I hope this is a sign that Criterion will be releasing more Hong Kong titles in the future. They really need to put out restored versions of stuff like Drunken Master 2, the Project A movies, A Better Tomorrow, The Killer, Hard-Boiled, Bullet in the Head, Peking Opera Blues, The Blade, A Chinese Ghost Story, the Once Upon a Time in China movies, City on Fire, etc.
I remember when my only copies of any of these were bootleg VHS copies. I still don't have DRUNKEN MASTER 2 in any other format. I have all the others listed on DVD now, but all pretty bare bones editions or old HK imports. Even my DVDs of HARD-BOILED and THE KILLER are pre-Criterion.
Old 12-28-18, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum View Post
I still don't have DRUNKEN MASTER 2 in any other format.
That's a title that may never be released uncut, at least officially. There's bootlegs of it, that culls many different sources to create a complete version. As far as I know, the only uncut, proper language, proper music, and proper aspect ratio release is the Mei-Ah laserdisc.

I'm willing to bet your DM2 VHS is ripped from that LD.
Old 12-28-18, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum View Post
I remember when my only copies of any of these were bootleg VHS copies. I still don't have DRUNKEN MASTER 2 in any other format. I have all the others listed on DVD now, but all pretty bare bones editions or old HK imports. Even my DVDs of HARD-BOILED and THE KILLER are pre-Criterion.
Originally Posted by Paff View Post
That's a title that may never be released uncut, at least officially. There's bootlegs of it, that culls many different sources to create a complete version. As far as I know, the only uncut, proper language, proper music, and proper aspect ratio release is the Mei-Ah laserdisc.

It’s funny you guys mention this since I watched the Region 1 dubbed DVD version last night and it was unwatchable. The first fight between Lau Kar Leung and Chan in the train and field is cut. Plus Jackie keeps calling Anita Mui character as stepmom. This is just some of the few things I caught right away.

I think to get this movie in it’s complete version with correct language and subtitles will be more difficult than to get the original Star Wars trilogy.

If Criterion ever get this, I’ll be forever in their debt.
Old 12-28-18, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Itís great that finally a company like Eureka is treating these HK films with respect and 2019 seems to be even better with Wheels on Meals, The Magnificent Butcher, Hand of God among others but for me, the exchange makes them economically prohibitive.
Old 12-29-18, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

And here I just bought the recent UK versions
Originally Posted by Perkinsun Dzees View Post
Originally Posted by LorenzoL View Post
It’s great that finally a company like Eureka is treating these HK films with respect and 2019 seems to be even better with Wheels on Meals, The Magnificent Butcher, Hand of God among others but for me, the exchange makes them economically prohibitive.
I can’t recommend the Eureka UK releases of the Police Story films highly enough, as well as their fantastic discs for Chan’s Project A films, City Hunter, Yuen Wo-Ping’s Iron Monkey, and the Once Upon A Time In China trilogy (with the sixth film as a bonus feature). Wish they’d go on sale once in a while, but I did manage to get decent discounts by pre-ordering. All of these, in my opinion, are the ultimate presentations to date of these films, a respect so fucking overdue thanks to years of meddling and marginalizing by the likes of Hong Kong, U.S. and European theatrical and home video distributors from the 70’s right through the 00’s, treating Hong Kong cinema as nothing more than low-brow exploitation fare (marginalized further in collusion with the likes of disgraced sleazebag Bey Logan and various “cinema trash” style websites over the years).

I’d also recommend the UK 88 Films editions of Chan’s earlier pics like Dragon Fist and To Kill With Intrigue as well as, hopefully, they’re upcoming releases of Snake & Crane Arts and Battle Creek Brawl. Would be nice to see some US label put these out, but I won’t hold my breath. Perhaps the UK audiences/buyers are just more receptive due to Hong Kong’s history as a crown colony.

Still, it’s a shame that it’s literallly taken until now for the city’s highly influential cinema to be afforded the respect of a company like Janus/Criterion (Shout’s discs were ok, but left room for improvement). I’ve long complained about the lack of representation for HK cinema on Criterion outside of Wong Kar-Wai and, for a limited time, John Woo, so it will be nice to see that oversight rectified, and I can only hope more will follow (including some, perhaps, that don’t get sparkling UK editions first!). And since the Criterions won’t likely duplicate the Eureka supplements, I’ll be happy to have both editions on the shelf.

Last edited by Brian T; 01-16-19 at 08:44 AM.
Old 12-29-18, 03:30 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

I see Police Story listed at my local Drafthouse, but I don't see Police Story 2. I thought both were supposed to play back to back or something. Hmm.
Old 12-29-18, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll

Brian T,

Don’t be too rough on Criterion. They released John Woo stuff in the early ‘90s. Criterion releases what they can get. The rights holders stopped licensing them those films.
Old 12-29-18, 11:38 PM

The uncut Drunken Master 2 was released on blu-ray earlier this year in a number of Asian territories (HK, South Korea, Japan). I think the discs are the same no matter the country, but the Japanese release is a multi-disc set that includes 3 different cuts of the film. Because all of this seems too good to be true and HK classics are always compromised in some way shape or form, the only English subtitles are closed captions.

As for Police Story, I have the Eureka set and unfortunately the restorations were done by Ritrovata, the Italian operation notoriously responsible for the Good, Bad And the Ugly 4k. Police Story 1+2 aren't nearly as bad as GBU (or some of the others they've done), but in typical Ritrovata fashion, the colors are generally too yellow and the dynamic range has been squashed which leads to milky black levels. PS1 looks better than PS2 in that regard, and both movies look miles better than they ever had before on home video, but it's hard not to wonder what could have been if these had been handled by someone else.

It's cool that Criterion will be putting these out, but I have a hard time believing they are going to put in the effort that Eureka did as far as tracking down different cuts of the films and the various audio mixes. PS2 will especially suffer, because the 4k version is the extended Japanese version and not the original HK cut. The extended version adds 20 mins to the run-time and is just way too long. Eureka included the HK cut on their set. It's SD only, but it's by far the best available option for that (superior) version.
Old 12-31-18, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
Brian T,

Donít be too rough on Criterion. They released John Woo stuff in the early Ď90s. Criterion releases what they can get. The rights holders stopped licensing them those films.
Hey, I'm just happy that Criterion, Eureka, and 88 Films (and any other labels getting in on this) are finally acknowledging the importance of Hong Kong cinema in the global context (beyond John Woo and Wong Kar-Wai in Criterion's case) and preserving what I hope will be a broader selection of "key" pictures in the best possible condition. Fingers crossed that it's not too late for a lot of them. Willing to stand corrected, but I tend to doubt that rights have ever been the sole issue -- after all, the list of now-"important" Hong Kong pictures is a lengthy one, and Hong Kong was never as covetous of its populist cinema history as, say, Japan was for so long -- so much as condition of prints, etc., so I'll give them that. That's why it's so great to see new 2K/4K scans (sometimes from original negatives) being done for the U.K. editions -- obviously the source materials WERE available all along -- and while "rocket1312's" criticisms are probably merited, the transfers are still the best the films have ever looked, and as he noted, the wealth of extras on the Eureka discs in particular is unlikely to be equaled on these shores. But if they can be complemented with other nifty items, I'm in!

By the way, Criterion's John Woo stuff was released on DVD and Blu by Dragon Dynasty in the interim -- so the rights must've been available -- albeit in editions with "issues" and, sadly, the participation of the now-odious Mr. Logan, all of which made it that much more regrettable that Criterion (or some other superior label) didn't take a second stab at them. Maybe now they'll get the chance.

In the end, I'm just glad that the days of bozos on this forum praising, for example, the Kam & Ronson/Fortune Star UPSCALED blu-rays from Hong Kong as "must-have" purchases simply because they "looked" marginally better than previous DVD/VCD/VHS releases (entirely due to the format rather than any serious work being done to them) are behind us.
Old 01-15-19, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

https://www.criterion.com/boxsets/15...police-story-2

Now available for pre-order from Criterion for the 2 movie box set

Individual artwork:

Old 01-15-19, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Bonus features according to Criterion:

Comes out April 30th.

SPECIAL EDITION FEATURES

• New 4K digital restorations of Police Story and Police Story 2
  • Alternate 5.1 surround and English-dubbed soundtracks for both films
  • Hong Kong–release version of Police Story 2, presented in a high-definition digital transfer for the first time
  • New programs on Chan’s screen persona and action-filmmaking techniques featuring author and New York Asian Film Festival cofounder Grady Hendrix
  • Archival interviews with Chan and actor and stuntman Benny Lai
  • Television program from 1964 detailing the rigors of Peking-opera training, akin to the education that Chan received as a child
  • Chan stunt reel
  • Trailers
  • New English subtitle translations
  • More!
  • PLUS: An essay by critic Nick Pinkerton
Old 01-16-19, 06:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Two of my favorite Jackie Chan films. The new subtitles sound interesting; I wonder how "wrong" the ones I've been reading all these years are? The 1964 Peking Opera extra sounds cool too. Can't wait!
Old 01-16-19, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I have stopped buying discs but I'll make an exception for this set. I'm assuming that it makes the Shout release useless?
Old 01-16-19, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Police Story is playng at the Alamo here in town in February. I haven't watched too many Hong Kong movies, but the Police Story movies are a ton of fun. I'll gladly pickup the Criterion discs and ditch the Dragon Dynasty dvds.
Old 01-16-19, 09:57 AM

Those individual cover paintings are excellent. It would be nice to see them adorning two SEPARATE cases inside an outer box, a la Eureka's UK set, but somehow I doubt we'll see that from Criterion, and they'll be printed smaller inside some fold-out thingy.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.