Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Greta (3/1/19, D: Neil Jordan) S: Isabelle Huppert, ChloŽ Grace Moretz, Maika Monroe

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Greta (3/1/19, D: Neil Jordan) S: Isabelle Huppert, ChloŽ Grace Moretz, Maika Monroe

Old 12-22-18, 09:37 PM

This looks interesting, but I think they gave most of the movie away.

A sweet, naÔve young woman trying to make it on her own in New York City, Frances (ChloŽ Grace Moretz) doesnít think twice about returning the handbag she finds on the subway to its rightful owner. That owner is Greta (Isabelle Huppert), an eccentric French piano teacher with a love for classical music and an aching loneliness. Having recently lost her mother, Frances quickly grows closer to widowed Greta. The two become fast friends ó but Gretaís maternal charms begin to dissolve and grow increasingly disturbing as Frances discovers that nothing in Gretaís life is what it seems in this suspense thriller from Academy Awardģ-winning director Neil Jordan.

Last edited by dex14; 12-23-18 at 11:59 AM. Reason: resize trailer
Old 12-23-18, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

re: Greta (3/1/19, D: Neil Jordan) S: Isabelle Huppert, ChloŽ Grace Moretz, Maika Monroe

Saw the trailer in front of The Favourite yesterday and I agree ... it seems to have given way too much away. Up to a point, I thought it was going to turn into a romantic relationship between the two and thought that it might be a very heartfelt movie.
Old 12-24-18, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

re: Greta (3/1/19, D: Neil Jordan) S: Isabelle Huppert, ChloŽ Grace Moretz, Maika Monroe

Several scenes from the trailer seem to be influenced by, or lifted from, Audition (1999).
Old 02-25-19, 09:49 AM

Opens this week.

Currently 73% on RT: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/greta_2019
Old 02-25-19, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe View Post
Several scenes from the trailer seem to be influenced by, or lifted from, Audition (1999).
Kiri kiri Kiri?
Old 02-25-19, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Maybe it would be better if they had replaced ChloŽ Grace Moretz with somebody who can act.
Old 02-25-19, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I like Moretz, Suspiria aside she's usually pretty solid. Her German is awful.
Old 02-28-19, 02:20 PM

I'm going to check this out tonight. I wasn't originally planning on it, but eh... it's Neil Jordan...I like all the women in this... and it's only 90 mins.
Old 02-28-19, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Greta (3/1/19, D: Neil Jordan) S: Isabelle Huppert, ChloŽ Grace Moretz, Maika Monroe

You can't get away from this trailer on the ID channel.
Old 03-01-19, 07:09 AM

Re: Greta (3/1/19, D: Neil Jordan) S: Isabelle Huppert, ChloŽ Grace Moretz, Maika Monroe

This was like some leftover '90s script that somehow didn't make it to Lifetime. I don't know why the hell Huppert is in this.

The acting is wooden, the dialogue is clunky. Maybe there is some intentional hamming it up going on.

Some decent cinematography and tension building towards the end. But there are some real head scratching moments.

A rental at best.

Maika Monroe doing yoga.
Old 03-01-19, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The trailer makes it look like they recycled a plot from an episode of Criminal Minds.
Old 03-02-19, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This was pretty bad.

I like Neil Jordan and Huppert, who provides this movie with some much needed personality, but neither can elevate the dumb and predictable script above grade-z trash.

This might be the least interesting movie of Jordan's career, though he does come up with one mildly clever setpiece where a dream sequence is later revealed to not be a dream sequence after all.

Moretz is a bland damsel in distress with Maika Monroe as her slightly more intriguing friend. It was amusing to see Stephen Rea reunited with Jordan, though it's in a forgettable supporting role.

Huppert is a gamer, but she was much more disturbing as a deranged character in Claude Chabrol's diabolical La Ceremonie.

This needed to go way over-the-top to be entertaining (a final smackdown between Moretz and Huppert would have helped) or at least gory, crazy like Audition (there is one small bit of gore, but it's hardly worth mentioning). Instead it just plays everything too safe and conventional.
Old 03-02-19, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Movies like this make me miss old school MoviePass. I'm mildly interested, but not wanting to pay extra to see it even if I had the time to kill.
Old 03-02-19, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Armond White seems to like it, although he may simply be grateful for the opportunity it gives him to get in some political jabs.

https://www.nationalreview.com/2019/...yPyO3DJg0ILMJI