Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

[RIP] Steve Dash (Jason Voorhees) Pt2

Old 12-19-18, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

[RIP] Steve Dash (Jason Voorhees) Pt2

[R.I.P.] Jason Voorhees from ‘Friday the 13th Part 2,’ Steve Dash Has Passed Away

We learned the news just two weeks ago that Friday the 13th Part 2 star Steve Dash was in the hospital due to complications from diabetes, and the Monster Mania convention has sadly confirmed this morning that Dash lost his battle yesterday. He was 74 years old.
In his most recent Facebook update earlier this month, Dash seemed to be in good spirits, writing:
“I have an update on my condition. They’re amputating my left leg tomorrow afternoon. It’s been pretty tough suffering from diabetes, blood clots and a bad heart over the last year. I welcome the decision I’ve made because I will be able to play golf in 6-8 weeks with a brand new leg. Thank you all for your thoughts, prayers and personal messages to me. The fans are the best fans on the planet.”
A horror convention regular who always took the time to hang out and chat with fans, Steve Dash is of course most known for playing Jason Voorhees in the Friday the 13th franchise’s second installment, making him the very first actor to play adult Jason on screen.
Subsequently, Dash also appeared in Alone in the Dark, 13 Tzameti and Mr. Hush. He was recently set to star in Vengeance, a Friday the 13th fan film currently in pre-production.

Old 12-19-18, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: [RIP] Steve Dash (Jason Voorhees) Pt2

Another one gone due to diabetes complications. Fuck.

RIP big fella

Old 12-20-18, 06:52 AM

Re: [RIP] Steve Dash (Jason Voorhees) Pt2

RIP Steve Dash.

It should be noted however that they actual role of Jason was performed by Warrington Gillette, and Steve Dash was Gillette's stunt double, so technically Gillette was the first adult actor to portray Jason.

Interesting also is the fact that although Dash was the stunt double, it was indeed Gillette who performed the most dangerous stunt in the film, the unmasked Jason through-the-window scene where he grabs Ginny. Even through the Jason makeup you can clearly tell that it's Gillette, not Dash.