Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (Persichetti, et al 2018) - Review Thread(Spoilers)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse
27.78%
55.56%
11.11%
1.85%
3.70%
0%
0%
0%
0%
0%
0%
what are you Spider-Ham?
0%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (Persichetti, et al 2018) - Review Thread(Spoilers)

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-18, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 957 Likes on 664 Posts

***SPOILERS***

Please continue pre-release discussion here

Movie: Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (Starring: Shameik Moore, Jake Johnson, Hailee Steinfeld, Maharashala Ali, Brian Tyree Henry, Lily Tomlin)

Directors:
Bob Persichetti, Peter Ramsey, Rodney Rothman

Release Date:
December 14, 2018

Rating:
PG

Runtime
1h 57 min

Budget
$90 million (estimated)

Box Office
$35 million opening weekend

#1 December animated opening weekend

Synopsis
Spoiler:
Miles Morales comes across the long-dead Peter Parker. This Peter Parker is not from his world though; he's from somewhere else in the multiverse. With Parker's guidance, Miles will become Spider-Man: and through that he will become part of the ever-expanding 'Spider-Verse'.

IMDB
IMDB 8.8, 16,926 votes as of 12/16/18

Rotten Tomatoes
Rotten Tomatoes 97% Critics, 94% Audience as of 12/16/18

Metacritic
Metacritic Score 87 as of 12/16/18

Trailer:

Poster

Last edited by tanman; 12-16-18 at 10:57 PM.
Old 12-16-18, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (Persichetti, et al 2018) - Review Thread(Spoil

Quick recap from the pre-release thread:

Overall everyone seemed to really like it.

To 3D or not 3D

The Animation style was unique but somewhat divisive.

This EW reviewer is a complete idiot
https://ew.com/movie-reviews/2018/11...-verse-review/

The King Pin scene where he kills Spider-Man may have made it deserve a PG-13 rating.
Old 12-16-18, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (Persichetti, et al 2018) - Review Thread(Spoil

I thought it was really great. It did take a little bit to get used to the style of the movie and it was pretty visually assaulting, but in a good way. When I first saw the trailer for it a year ago I thought it looked more like a direct to video kind of release that they just decided to capitalize on the popularity of Spider-Man and release it in theaters. I never expected to like it as much as I did.

I think maybe one of the biggest reasons why it did so well is because despite the visual antics and the crazy guest starring spider people it never truly lost sight of the fact that this was the story about Miles Morales. Basically a coming of age story wrapped up in a comic book movie and style.
Old 12-16-18, 11:35 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I simply loved this movie - saw it last Friday in 3D and visually it was great, anyone complaining about it is the theater's fault and the projector not outputting enough light onto the screen for the image's dimensionality. Saw it again yesterday afternoon on a huge Dolby Cinema screen and while the Atmos mix was fantastic and bombastic, the 3D was still in my opinion the best way to experience this.
Old 12-16-18, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts

Great movie. As a comic reader that read the original Spider-verse stuff it was everything I could have hoped for. Fingers crossed a Spider-Gwen movie happens eventually.

And just to add something personal but imho notable. My 8y/o son has always struck me with his ability to not get invested in stories to the point that he shows emotion (unlike me who’s been known to cry like a baby in emotional movie scenes). But when we watched this today, after the uncle died, and Miles’ dad was talking to him through the door, I looked over and he was trying to hide his face and rubbing his eyes. It got to him. I gave him a hug and it was a nice bonding moment for us. I’ll always remember this movie as the one that gave us that moment.

Last edited by Tom Banjo; 12-17-18 at 12:00 AM. Reason: typo
Old 12-17-18, 02:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Tom Banjo
Great movie. As a comic reader that read the original Spider-verse stuff it was everything I could have hoped for. Fingers crossed a Spider-Gwen movie happens eventually.

And just to add something personal but imho notable. My 8y/o son has always struck me with his ability to not get invested in stories to the point that he shows emotion (unlike me who’s been known to cry like a baby in emotional movie scenes). But when we watched this today, after the uncle died, and Miles’ dad was talking to him through the door, I looked over and he was trying to hide his face and rubbing his eyes. It got to him. I gave him a hug and it was a nice bonding moment for us. I’ll always remember this movie as the one that gave us that moment.
That was a very nice story thanks for sharing.

For me I think I've gotten a lot more emotional as I've gotten older. I don't remember tearing up at any movies when I was a kid. But now I really get into the story a lot more.
Old 12-17-18, 02:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

One thing I don't understand. I must have missed something. On the final battle, I thought King Pin smashed Miles like he did Peter Parker OG at the beginning of the movie. What am I forgetting or missing here?
Old 12-17-18, 02:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

How about that Stan Lee cameo? Anyone else tear up?
Old 12-17-18, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

From my review page ORBI-WAN GOES TO THE MOVIES:

SPIDER-MAN: INTO THE SPIDERVERSE (PG) - Highly energetic, entertaining, funny and inventive take on the Spider-Man Mythos introduces Miles Morales as a version of the timeless webslinger.

Keeping it relatively short, but there’s a new Spider-Man in town. Actually, there are multiple Spider-persons in town, as several realities collide and create havoc, and it is up to a disparate group of “spider-gifted” individuals to try and set things right.

Spider-Man: Into The Spiderverse focuses on teenager Miles Morales (first introduced in comic books a few years ago) is a huge fan of Peter Parker. Miles is bitten by a radioactive spider and develops his own set of powers, then his path crosses with Parker’s as they are flung into an adventure to stop Kingpin Wilson Fisk from creating a doorway to other dimensions to find a replacement for his dead family members. The experiments accidentally pull Gwen Stacy, Peni Parker, Spider-Noir, Peter Porker and another Peter Parker into Miles’ reality.

The art on display here, the fight choreography, the character design and the writing all come together to make you feel like you’re actually watching a comic book come to life. Dazzling design, great, funny characters, mind-bending ideas, and a heartfelt lesson about family make for a fun time for everyone.. Plus, Oh My Aunt May! I’m giving “Spider-Man: Into The Spiderverse” 4.5 out of 5 lightsabers.

NOTES TO PARENTS: Spider-Man: Into The Spiderverse is rated PG for comic book action violence, and some very mild language. There’s some shooting, a lot of fighting, reality gets twisted around pretty good, and…. Wow, this is just like a crazy comic book.

MID- and AFTER-CREDIT SCENES: The credits themselves are very entertaining to watch, giving us an idea of what infinite Spider-Man would look like. AFTER-CREDITS - as the credits wind down, we are treated to a Spidey-centric Christmas-style carol, and then we get to see a funny short involving a face off between two more Spidermen..

LIKE the page ORBI-WAN GOES TO THE MOVIES, and SHARE it with family and friends.

ORB-WAN GOES TO THE MOVIES is protected under Creative Commons.
Old 12-17-18, 09:55 AM

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Saw this with the boys and we fucking loved this movie. Still a bit early but it could very well be my favorite Spider-man movie ever made. Sony gets vindicated with this movie. IMHO it makes all previous efforts even the latest Marvel produced movie pale a bit in comparison.
Old 12-17-18, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by tanman
How about that Stan Lee cameo? Anyone else tear up?
Not for the cameo, but the quote part after the credits sequence got me.
Old 12-17-18, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by Maxflier
Same.
Old 12-17-18, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by tanman
One thing I don't understand. I must have missed something. On the final battle, I thought King Pin smashed Miles like he did Peter Parker OG at the beginning of the movie. What am I forgetting or missing here?
No, you’re remembering right. My guess is it’s meant to imply that Miles is just inherently more resilient than Peter.
Old 12-17-18, 12:24 PM

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxflier
oh man didn't stay for all the credits. What did I miss?
Old 12-17-18, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,652 Likes on 1,032 Posts

Originally Posted by nando820
oh man didn't stay for all the credits. What did I miss?
There was a Stan Lee quote, one of the Spider-Man holiday songs was sung as over-credits music and there was a Spider-Man 2099 appearance that made fun of the "Spider-Man pointing at Spider-Man" meme.

Old 12-17-18, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by Giles
I simply loved this movie - saw it last Friday in 3D and visually it was great, anyone complaining about it is the theater's fault and the projector not outputting enough light onto the screen for the image's dimensionality. Saw it again yesterday afternoon on a huge Dolby Cinema screen and while the Atmos mix was fantastic and bombastic, the 3D was still in my opinion the best way to experience this.
Normally I would say you are probably right (I’m not a big fan of my local AMC theaters), but I literally just watched Mortal Engines in IMAX 3D on the same screen at 7pm as I watched Spider-Man 10pm. Mortal Engines was rich and immersive, Spider-Man just looked good.

I’m glad your 3D was better! I hope it is for others too.
Old 12-18-18, 10:33 AM

My only AV complaint was during the scenes when the various Spider-people were narrating their origin stories. It sounded like it had a weird echo or reverb during the narration, which made them hard to understand when combined with the music. Anyone else experience that?
Old 12-18-18, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

As a piece of pop art, this movie is exquisite.

As a movie, it's good fun but hardly sublime.

A high 3.5 out of 5 from me.
Old 12-19-18, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,934 Likes on 1,496 Posts

The style they used bothered me a bit when they made used an intentional (I think) blurring effect on objects and people that weren't the focus of the scene... it just made me feel like I was supposed to have 3d glasses on but didn't, or something.

Otherwise, an amazing movie. Not enough Spider-ham though.
Old 12-19-18, 06:14 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
The style they used bothered me a bit when they made used an intentional (I think) blurring effect on objects and people that weren't the focus of the scene... it just made me feel like I was supposed to have 3d glasses on but didn't, or something.

Otherwise, an amazing movie. Not enough Spider-ham though.
Saw it yesterday. Really enjoyed it.

Did you notice Spider-Ham was eating a hot dog? Cannibal.
Old 12-19-18, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 238 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric F
Did you notice Spider-Ham was eating a hot dog? Cannibal.
Coulda been a Hebrew National.
Old 12-19-18, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts

I thought he was actually a spider bit by a radioactive pig?
Old 12-19-18, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

a) Like Abob said, he's not a pig, he's a spider, but the fact that they sell hot dogs where there are anthropomorphic pigs is a problem.
b) New York, so maybe it's kosher/beef?
c) He's a pig, and pigs eat anything including other pigs
d) In the comics, Spider-Gwen comments about Spider-Ham eating pork, and he says it's not cannibalism because he's a cartoon pig. However, this is also a cartoon hot dog, so...
e) Maybe in his universe, hot dogs are made up of processed humans (see joke during credits).
Old 12-20-18, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 218 Likes on 165 Posts

I saw it this afternoon and loved it! I hope Miles gets his own stand alone film. The animation was incredible. Big fan of it. I do have one question though, when did Doc Ock become a woman?
Old 12-20-18, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Sonny Corinthos
I saw it this afternoon and loved it! I hope Miles gets his own stand alone film. The animation was incredible. Big fan of it. I do have one question though, when did Doc Ock become a woman?
There is a female Doc Ock, but not Olivia Octavius, I'm pretty sure they created her just for that shock moment (and hammering home the "every universe is different" thing). Same with Scorpion.

Giant Green Goblin is from the Ultimate Universe (where Miles is from) though I don't remember him being so big. Prowler is from the normal universe too, and was actually in Homecoming (played by Donald Glover).

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.