Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Aquaman (Wan, 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Aquaman (Wan, 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
1.96%
11.76%
35.29%
17.65%
9.80%
5.88%
9.80%
3.92%
1.96%
0
0%
0
0%
What are you high?
1.96%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Aquaman (Wan, 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Old 01-11-19, 07:53 AM
  #201  
DVD Talk Legend
 
stingermck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: NC
Posts: 14,686
Re: Aquaman (Wan, 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt View Post
Suicide...all it got was badmouthed (and rightfully so - it was awful).
And thats the difference in Aquaman.
stingermck is offline  
Old 01-11-19, 09:02 AM
  #202  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 37,954
Re: Aquaman (Wan, 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt View Post
No, but considering Batman v Superman AND Suicide Squad are considered "failures" at the North American box office, why does Aquaman get a pass? Aquaman will make less money in America than either of those films. That's my complaint. Suicide was the #1 movie for three weeks in a row (just like Aquaman) and it NEVER got the "buzz" this film did - all it got was badmouthed (and rightfully so - it was awful).
Suicide Squad was never considered a failure at the box office, it was a surprise. Sure, performance wise it was front loaded -- had a $133m opening weekend and dropped fast (-67% in weekend 2) as compared to Aquaman's $67m and legging out (-23.2% in weekend 2). But it pulled over $300m+ without starring any key superheroes. Unsurprisingly, Suicide Squad 2 and the Harley Quinn movie were being worked on almost immediately after its release.

Are you thinking Justice League? Batman v Superman and Justice League were both expected to pull Avengers-style money, BvS did well enough (though it was severely front loaded, dropping 69.1%), Justice League not so much.

Being #1 doesn't really mean anything these days, imo. Unless we're talking end of the year / overall ranking.

Last edited by RichC2; 01-11-19 at 09:08 AM.
RichC2 is offline  
Old 01-11-19, 11:00 AM
  #203  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Hokeyboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Fort Lauderdale, FL
Posts: 18,694
Re: Aquaman (Wan, 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt View Post
No, but considering Batman v Superman AND Suicide Squad are considered "failures" at the North American box office, why does Aquaman get a pass? Aquaman will make less money in America than either of those films. That's my complaint. Suicide was the #1 movie for three weeks in a row (just like Aquaman) and it NEVER got the "buzz" this film did - all it got was badmouthed (and rightfully so - it was awful).
Neither BvS nor Suicide Squad was considered a failure. Both were successful. BvS was expected to be more successful and maybe disappointed WB because they probably thought they had a $4-500 million grosser on their hands, but no one ever called it a financial failure.

An artistic failure, well that's another argument all together.

There's simply no way you can spin Aquaman's BO as being "poor" by any stretch. Is it Black Panther or Avengers: Infinity War? Hell no. Nor was it ever even remotely expected to be.
Hokeyboy is offline  
Old 01-11-19, 04:28 PM
  #204  
DVD Talk God
 
Deftones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Arizona
Posts: 74,123
Re: Aquaman (Wan, 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Just saw this. I enjoy the fuck out of it. I loved the music in the movie. Very Blade Runner-ish. The fight sequences were always fantastic.
Deftones is offline  
Old 01-12-19, 01:42 AM
  #205  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Gator Nation
Posts: 5,304
Re: Aquaman (Wan, 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin View Post
You're under the false assumption there is a "proper" way to do these, when in fact you just mean you "like Marvel's approach."

I liked Justice League and loved that they jumped right into that world without a half dozen origin stories first. I don't need Superman's origins. I didn't need to see Thomas and Martha get killed. I didn't need much Flash development because of the show. Wonder Woman just kicks ass period and made her mark without an origin story first. Cyborg really needed the development. I will give you Aquaman though, he's close to WW making his own mark because Momoa just had fun with it. He had enough of a presence but we could have definitely used his origin story prior to Justice League.

I think clearly, the real fuckup in this whole thing was handing the reigns to someone like Snyder instead of Feige. Someone with a master plan could make either approach work.
I think if you compare the MCU with the DCEU that yes there is a proper way to go about these things. I totally understand why WB wanted to go all out and didn't have the patience for any world building. They made a financial decision to strike while the iron was hot. However, when you have the JL movie come out and be BO failure you've got a problem there. If they had done things the "proper" way and built up the JL team members by introducing them in their own feature movie you would have had a BO success like the Avengers. It takes time for the general audience to warm up these lower tiered characters. And while you might not need an introduction to the mechanics of what created Batman of Superman introducing them in a solo movie would allow the audience to warm up to what this Batman is like and, ideally, be hungry for more. Of course a terrible movie is a terrible movie no matter what order you go but I believe that doing a solo movie also would allow the creators to get to know the character better and make adjustments accordingly. There's no way that the Avengers could have been the movie it was without taking the time to get the characters right in the first place.

tanman is offline  
Old 01-12-19, 10:15 AM
  #206  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
nando820's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Melbourne, FL
Posts: 4,109
Re: Aquaman (Wan, 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

time and time again people blame the world building as the issue for the DC films failure.
But Guardians of the Galaxy and Into the Spiderverse introduced all new characters and we were all on board.

if the DC films underperfomed is simply because they sucked, as simple as that
nando820 is offline  
Old 01-13-19, 02:45 AM
  #207  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Gator Nation
Posts: 5,304
Re: Aquaman (Wan, 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by nando820 View Post
time and time again people blame the world building as the issue for the DC films failure.
But Guardians of the Galaxy and Into the Spiderverse introduced all new characters and we were all on board.

if the DC films underperfomed is simply because they sucked, as simple as that
World building isn't a guarantee that a film will be good. But I still stand by my statement that there is no way that Avengers could have been as good as it was if they didn't take the time and build up the team with individual movies first. And Guardians of the Galaxy and Into the Spiderverse aren't anything like the Avengers or the Justice League. The Avengers was an event movie. Something way more special and rare than a typical summer blockbuster. Looking back at Aquaman and WW and now knowing that the WB can put out a good movie it would have been nice if they started with that and then the JL could have been the event movie it should have been. Of course this is all just wishful thinking.
tanman is offline  
Old 01-14-19, 01:42 PM
  #208  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Giantrobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: South Bay
Posts: 56,120
Re: Aquaman (Wan, 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by nando820 View Post
time and time again people blame the world building as the issue for the DC films failure.
But Guardians of the Galaxy and Into the Spiderverse introduced all new characters and we were all on board.

if the DC films underperfomed is simply because they sucked, as simple as that
Thank you. Marvel has successfully set the standard that "world building" is NOW THEEE ONLY WAY to make comic book films. I hate this. I don't need 70+ year old characters and franchises "built". Shit, I even had a co-worker complain that the new "TITANS" series on DC Universe needed more "Build up". I swear he felt that they needed to do Solo series for each Titan THEN and only THEN could should be put together in a Titans series. Come on man...really?

But hey, Marvel has set "world building" into the creative stone for comic films and has made many great films and lots of $$$. People have made their minds up that they want it this way now so I don't think there is any way around the demand for it at this point.
Giantrobo is offline  
Old 01-14-19, 03:40 PM
  #209  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
d2cheer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Posts: 9,101
Re: Aquaman (Wan, 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Worldwide: $1,021,461,781 and still going!!
d2cheer is offline  
Old 01-14-19, 03:43 PM
  #210  
Moderator
 
dex14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 23,679
Re: Aquaman (Wan, 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

James Wan joins the two films with $1bil+ club.
dex14 is online now  
Old 01-14-19, 03:50 PM
  #211  
DVD Talk Legend
 
TheMovieman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Oregon
Posts: 10,899
Re: Aquaman (Wan, 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Ok, so reportedly Patty Jenkins got $7-9M for Wonder Woman 1984. What kind of salary will Wan command for Aquaman 2? And would Warner risk going cheap with an up-and-comer instead?
TheMovieman is offline  
Old 01-14-19, 03:54 PM
  #212  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 37,954
Re: Aquaman (Wan, 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Wan is more established than Jenkins and would likely pull a minimum of $10m for directing duties. With how much trouble WB has had with getting keeping DC properties afloat, they will likely do what they can to keep Wan happy.
RichC2 is offline  
Old 01-14-19, 04:09 PM
  #213  
Moderator
 
dex14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 23,679
Re: Aquaman (Wan, 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Not to mention an existing relationship with The Conjuring.
dex14 is online now  
Old 01-14-19, 04:38 PM
  #214  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Mike86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 16,948
Re: Aquaman (Wan, 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by nando820 View Post
time and time again people blame the world building as the issue for the DC films failure.
But Guardians of the Galaxy and Into the Spiderverse introduced all new characters and we were all on board.

if the DC films underperfomed is simply because they sucked, as simple as that
The difference is that people were exposed to enough Marvel by the point that something like Guardians of the Galaxy released. It wasn’t a sure fire thing prior to release, but by that point the MCU had existed for six years and they could afford a more calculated risk, and luckily people accepted it because they liked Marvel’s previous films. I also wouldn’t put something like Into the Spider-Verse in the same category as it’s an easier sell as both a family film and a superhero film due to it being animated. Plus again you have the Spider-Man name attached, which is hugely popular and while he’s not the main character you do get versions of Peter Parker within it along with the other versions.

I would say that the DC films threw too much at people too early on without having anything really established, and on top of that the films were largely crap. Man of Steel didn’t instill confidence in audiences to trust more to come and the subsequent films largely didn’t pan out very well. They had their priorities wrong by worrying about doing something like Suicide Squad early on rather than establishing a core hero character. I’m sure someone will point out that film was successful box office wise and is getting a sequel (seemingly in-name only), but it should have never been their third film.

This and Wonder Woman succeed at being better, but still aren’t incredibly good or standout films. At the least though I think having this and maybe a Flash movie before Justice League would have helped that film do better, which is important as that should have been a massive brand for them. Instead I would say the Justice League name is fairly well damaged for a while.

Last edited by Mike86; 01-14-19 at 07:00 PM.
Mike86 is offline  
Old 01-14-19, 05:53 PM
  #215  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Giantrobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: South Bay
Posts: 56,120
Re: Aquaman (Wan, 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by Mike86 View Post

I would say that the DC films threw too much at people too early on without having anything really established, and on top of that the films were largely crap.

No they didn't. DC had been "establishing" these characters since 1977 in a cinematic way. Since the 1930's if you really wanna get technical. I'll give you the crap part...only because I'm in the minority that they were NOT crap...but will give you that as the main reason for failure. It was not due to lack of world building/establishing.
Giantrobo is offline  
Old 01-14-19, 06:18 PM
  #216  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Mike86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 16,948
Re: Aquaman (Wan, 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by Giantrobo View Post
No they didn't. DC had been "establishing" these characters since 1977 in a cinematic way. Since the 1930's if you really wanna get technical. I'll give you the crap part...only because I'm in the minority that they were NOT crap...but will give you that as the main reason for failure. It was not due to lack of world building/establishing.
I didn’t necessarily mean even just those two characters. I meant more setting up the Justice League from essentially your second film with only half of your team established. Imagine how much better a potential Justice League film that wasn’t rushed could have done if this came out first and maybe a Flash film as well.

Batman and Superman were obviously established previously, but definitely not the rest. Even with those two though that’s a lazy excuse. The Cavill Superman isn’t Christopher Reeve or whoever you want to compare him with. Same goes for Affleck Batman not being the same as the countless actors who have portrayed the character.

Last edited by Mike86; 01-14-19 at 06:29 PM.
Mike86 is offline  
Old 01-14-19, 06:44 PM
  #217  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 4,872
Re: Aquaman (Wan, 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by Mike86 View Post

I didn’t necessarily mean even just those two characters. I meant more setting up the Justice League from essentially your second film with only half of your team established. Imagine how much better a potential Justice League film that wasn’t rushed could have done if this came out first and maybe a Flash film as well.

Batman and Superman were obviously established previously, but definitely not the rest. Even with those two though that’s a lazy excuse. The Cavill Superman isn’t Christopher Reeve or whoever you want to compare him with. Same goes for Affleck Batman not being the same as the countless actors who have portrayed the character.
Exactly.
There was a build up for Civil War. We saw Chris Evans as Captain America for 4 films, and his relationship with Tony Stark as played by RDJ.
In B v S, it's only Superman's second appearance and already he's fighting against this new Batman, who's not even the same one from the Dark Knight trilogy. There's no reason to care about WHY they're fighting. The only sell is the visual spectacle of it. Storywise, it came out of nowhere.

It was very rewarding to see how all these characters and events lead up to Avengers: Infinity War. In fact, for full enjoyment of the film, it's dependent on seeing the previous MCU films.
brayzie is offline  
Old 01-14-19, 06:56 PM
  #218  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 4,872
Re: Aquaman (Wan, 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by nando820 View Post
time and time again people blame the world building as the issue for the DC films failure.
Well, yeah.
Had WB/DC done their own thing and not tried using a cheat code to try and imitate Marvel's formula, maybe it would have been a step in a better direction.
Batman Begins wasn't as successful as WB had hoped for, but they stayed the course and we got the excellent Dark Knight.
Man of Steel was wasn't as successful as WB had hoped for, so they ditched Man of Steel II and did Batman v Superman to compete with Cap v Iron Man.

if the DC films underperfomed is simply because they sucked, as simple as that
Yeah, Green Lantern wasn't trying to world build and it was awful.
There's a variety of factors that come into play.
But your argument is too simplistic.
We shouldn't blame the campy direction for the Schumacher's Batman and Robin. It worked for the live-action Batman series right? It was simply because it sucked.
brayzie is offline  
Old 01-14-19, 07:32 PM
  #219  
DVD Talk Legend
 
TheMovieman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Oregon
Posts: 10,899
Re: Aquaman (Wan, 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by brayzie View Post
Well, yeah.
Had WB/DC done their own thing and not tried using a cheat code to try and imitate Marvel's formula, maybe it would have been a step in a better direction.
Batman Begins wasn't as successful as WB had hoped for, but they stayed the course and we got the excellent Dark Knight.
Man of Steel was wasn't as successful as WB had hoped for, so they ditched Man of Steel II and did Batman v Superman to compete with Cap v Iron Man.
Are you sure about that? I could've sworn the Cap v. Iron Man came after Warner announced Batman v. Superman. Also, although BvS came out the same year as Civil War, it was supposed to come out the year before but got delayed after, IIRC, Affleck got injured just prior to production. But I could be mis-remembering.
TheMovieman is offline  
Old 01-14-19, 07:50 PM
  #220  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 4,872
Re: Aquaman (Wan, 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by TheMovieman View Post
Are you sure about that? I could've sworn the Cap v. Iron Man came after Warner announced Batman v. Superman. Also, although BvS came out the same year as Civil War, it was supposed to come out the year before but got delayed after, IIRC, Affleck got injured just prior to production. But I could be mis-remembering.
Damn, you're right.

" ... After they [Warner Bros.] announced 'Batman v Superman,' [Kevin Feige] said, 'you guys are absolutely right.' We needed to do something challenging with the material or we were going to start to lose the audience," Russo said.

link

I remember there had been rumors or talk about a World's Finest-type movie since the Burton Batman movies.
But I thought Batman versus Superman came about because of the Civil War movie. So it was the other way around.

​​​​​​
Originally Posted by Zach Synder
"... after Man of Steel finished and we started talking about what would be in the next movie, I started subtly mentioning that it would be cool if he faced Batman... You're in a story meeting talking about, like, who should [Superman] fight if he fought this giant alien threat Zod who was basically his equal physically, from his planet, fighting on our turf... You know, who to fight next?... But I'm not gonna say at all that when I took the job to do Man of Steel that I did it in a subversive way to get to Batman. I really believe that only after contemplating who could face [Superman] did Batman come into the picture."— Snyder, on how Batman came into the film
​​​​​​
But I would be surprised if it was sole reason, if even main reason, why they put Batman in Man of Steel II.
I would have thought that it was a variety of factor, mostly:
1)Man of Steel underperforming
2)The Nolan Batman series being a huge success, so why not use that to bolder Superman.
​​​​​​3)and pressure from studio/shareholders to start a connected universe so they can start printing their money like Marvel

But I do get that it would be hard to top Zod and the Phantom Zone criminals.

Last edited by brayzie; 01-14-19 at 08:03 PM.
brayzie is offline  
Old 01-14-19, 09:35 PM
  #221  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Hokeyboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Fort Lauderdale, FL
Posts: 18,694
Re: Aquaman (Wan, 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

"Man, that Star Wars film was a horrible attempt at world building. They should have first done a Princess Leia film, a Luke Skywalker film, a Darth Vader film, and a Han Solo film. Otherwise, nobody cared about those characters, why they were teaming up, and what they were fighting against."

I'm sick to death of "world building". Just make good movies. Period. Like Wonder Woman, Aquaman, and Man of Steel. Heck I even liked BvS, while acknowledging its flaws; but at least it attempted to present something new with these characters and that universe. It might have failed in some ways, but it was at least an ambitious failure. I'd rather have a film aim high and shoot low rather than just ride a dull wave of formulaic assurance.

Suicide Squad and Justice League, well let's just not talk about those.

Last edited by Hokeyboy; 01-15-19 at 04:53 PM.
Hokeyboy is offline  
Old 01-15-19, 01:23 AM
  #222  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
fumanstan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 55,173
Re: Aquaman (Wan, 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

I've softened on the stance about DC jumping the gun, although there's some different factors involved. Obviously not every ensemble type movie needs individual films before teaming up, but I think it's a little different with comic book heroes and especially with Marvel given their status when the whole thing started. Marvel kind of had to start one by one since they took a someone sizable gamble (if I recall) producing their own movies and were starting with less established characters then what was already out there, so it made sense to start with a few characters like Iron Man or Captain America to test the waters. With these characters having rich origin stories worth telling, I don't think they could have jumped to Avengers and been as successful.

Going the individual hero route first also helps build some hype and anticipation and made Avengers more of an event film. I think the idea of seeing heroes team up together was a cool and unique thing to see for most audiences and it made it special, i'm sure the same way it would have been if you were a comic back reader back then. Until Black Panther, the Avengers movies were the biggest MCU grossers for a reason.

DC is/was in a little different boat. I think after Marvel did their thing it made sense to shake up the formula a little bit. And because Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman have some more known history to them it's less of a big deal to establish all of them individually. Batman v Superman wasn't a bad idea, and one which I don't think suffered from not knowing more about Batman or Wonder Woman in that universe. Heck, using the much maligned Zod/Superman fight was a clever jumping off point. They just did a poor job building off of it.

I think from there, Justice League was destined to struggle after the poor reception to BvS. Cinematic Universes only work if people enjoy the movies that build up to them. And I still say Justice League was fun.

Last edited by fumanstan; 01-15-19 at 01:35 AM.
fumanstan is offline  
Old 01-15-19, 01:56 AM
  #223  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 4,872
Re: Aquaman (Wan, 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy View Post
"Man, that Star Wars film was a horrible attempt at world building. They should have first done a Princess Leia film, a Luke Skywalker film, a Darth Vader film, and a Han Solo film. Otherwise, nobody cared about those characters, why they were teaming up, and what they were fighting against."
That's both a good and bad comparison.
Yeah, "A New Hope" dropped us right into the middle of a made up war and hit the ground running. Audiences had no reference to the "Galactic Republic" or knew what a Darth Vader was.
However, Luke, Leia and Han are not all superheroes with wildly different powers and origin stories. They're three regular people, with only ONE of them finding out they have super powers.

Not only that, but WB tried to shoehorn in The Death of Superman storyline, aspects of Frank Miller's The Dark Knight Returns, and reference A Death in the Family among other things. All those stories could have been their own films.

Not only that, but Star Wars was a novelty for it's time. BvS was not. So expectations are going to be higher for BvS, considering how many quality superhero films we got prior to its release. We saw a great Batman series from Nolan that was allowed to build up over time.

I'm to death of "world building". Just make good movies. Period. Like Wonder Woman, Aquaman, and Man of Steel.
Agree.

Heck I even liked BvS, while acknowledging its flaws; but at least it attempted to present something new with these characters and that universe.
Yeah, the Star Wars prequels attempted something new too.
I just want a good film.

Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
DC is/was in a little different boat. I think after Marvel did their thing it made sense to shake up the formula a little bit. And because Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman have some more known history to them it's less of a big deal to establish all of them individually.
Which explains Superman Returns.
The WB thought that the 1978 Superman film was so iconic, that they ended up making a sequel to it, even reusing the music and Marlon Brando. And it wasn't very good.

Batman v Superman wasn't a bad idea, and one which I don't think suffered from not knowing more about Batman or Wonder Woman in that universe. Heck, using the much maligned Zod/Superman fight was a clever jumping off point. They just did a poor job building off of it.
For me, the Nolan Batman series was still fresh in my mind, so seeing a new Batman felt wrong to me. It was jarring.
Batman and Superman are very iconic, so I guess you can argue that they're conflict doesn't need to be built up in advance. But even Frank Miller didn't have Batman and Superman fight in the first issue of the Dark Knight Returns.

brayzie is offline  
Old 01-15-19, 06:41 AM
  #224  
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 5
Re: Aquaman (Wan, 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by brayzie View Post
Damn, you're right.






I remember there had been rumors or talk about a World's Finest-type movie since the Burton Batman movies.
But I thought Batman versus Superman came about because of the Civil War movie. So it was the other way around.

​​​​​​
But I would be surprised if it was sole reason, if even main reason, why they put Batman in Man of Steel II.
I would have thought that it was a variety of factor, mostly:
1)Man of Steel underperforming
2)The Nolan Batman series being a huge success, so why not use that to bolder Superman.
​​​​​​3)and pressure from studio/shareholders to start a connected universe so they can start printing their money like Marvel
couldn't agree more, esp on #1
sjon66 is offline  
Old 01-15-19, 10:28 AM
  #225  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Mike86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 16,948
Re: Aquaman (Wan, 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Here’s why I think Justice League doesn’t work without the setup. To the average viewer who knows nothing about the characters or comics seeing a group of randomly (to that type of viewer) assembled superheroes thrown together probably comes across as nothing more than a cheap knockoff of The Avengers. When something like the MCU exists there’s going to be comparisons either way, and yeah approaching it differently might have seemed like a good idea, but it didn’t work at all. It was a shit movie either way, but it probably was more on it being rushed so early on.

A comparison like Star Wars is completely different in my opinion. There wasn’t any pre-existing knowledge of that universe or those characters before the original film. At most it could have been compared with other sci-fi movies, but not much really was around for a direct comparison to at the time.
Mike86 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.