Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Aquaman (Wan, 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Aquaman (Wan, 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
1.64%
11.48%
36.07%
14.75%
14.75%
6.56%
8.20%
3.28%
1.64%
0%
0%
What are you high?
1.64%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Aquaman (Wan, 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Old 01-07-19, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Aquaman (Wan, 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

I hope the DCEU can recoup a fraction of their massive losses from this billion-dollar-grossing failure.
Old 01-07-19, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Enjoyed this probably as much as WW. Heard is a smoke show
Old 01-08-19, 02:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
I'd place this above Wonder Woman because I still can't stand the final act of WW and Aries being an actual being. At least Aquaman kept the flow going all the way.
This.

Although I absolutely loved 2/3rds of WW and in general give a slight edge to the character and actor to WW but the story is just much more consistent with Aquaman.
Old 01-08-19, 02:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
The one scene I most hope is in the sequel to Justice League is the one where Aquaman introduces his mom to Bruce Wayne and he immediately has the awkward realization that he slept with Aquaman's mom back in the 90s.

How did I not think about this?
Old 01-08-19, 03:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

A bit late to the party but.

I thought this was awesome. It was everything that I have been saying a DCEU movie SHOULDN'T be. It was crazy and over the top, took itself seriously, loud, long, but it still ended up really working well. Contrary to what many people I liked Black Manta in this. I thought they set up his character nicely while not being too overly bloated. I thought the SFX were incredible and were really believable to this universe. The story was epic and I thought well balanced. The big bombastic set pieces were countered nicely with the quiet and simple moments with his dad and mom. Even though the run time was long it didn't feel like it and felt like a real epic journey like LotR. I thought the humor was nice and not forced. I thought the chemistry between the characters was really well done. I like how they didn't go for the easy kills to evoke emotion out of the audience. Like I thought his dad and ocean master were goners for sure. Why isn't there more talk about how much ass Amber Heard kicked as Mera? I thought she was equally awesome as the Wasp. Same goes for Atlanna. His character arc was very well done in this film. He went from cocky hero, to reluctant heir, to humiliated half breed, to the rightful king in a natural progression. And even though a lot of the dialogue was cheesy I thought some of it was really well done. I liked the line about how he is more than a king because a king only fights for his people and a hero fights for everyone.

But saying all that I kind of wonder if I was just in awe of seeing in in IMAX on the big screen. Like the visual splendor of it was just so much that I ignored a lot of its flaws and if subsequent viewings will dull my pie in the sky outlook on the movie. Because as much as I liked the movie I can see how others would see it as a bloated mess of a hyperactive bland superhero movie. I also get the feeling like the SFX are going to pull a prequel trilogy in that I was amazed by them when watching it but within 5 years time they will seem very outlandish and dated.

And this was worth the price of admission just to see Amber Heard and Nicole Kidman in their skin tight wetsuits.
Old 01-08-19, 03:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by The Bus View Post
I don’t understand how a movie this deeply silly isn’t much fun. I’ll give it to James Wan for being able to direct action in a way that makes it easy to follow it. Getting Julie Andrews to play a kaiju is inventive and some of the creatures (the crab army in particular) were really cool. But the lows of the movie are atrocious. The most obvious: Black Manta looks like a Power Rangers villain.
The fact that she was in Aquaman as a giant crab thingy but wasn't in Mary Poppins Returns that debut the same day makes it all the more hilarious.

Old 01-08-19, 04:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

What's everyone's opinion on whether he should have saved Black Manta's father? Bruce Wayne, Peter Parker, etc. would have saved him. Deadpool would have set him on fire with a fart and a lighter.

Last edited by GatorDeb; 01-09-19 at 12:27 AM.
Old 01-08-19, 04:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by GatorDeb View Post
What's everyone's opinion on whether he should have saved Black Manta's father? Bruce Wayne, Peter Park, etc. would have saved him. Deadpool would have set him on fire with a fart and a lighter.
I think it was fine for a couple reasons. One is that this Aquaman is different than all the other superheros. He's willing to do what has to be done to save innocent people including letting bad people die. And two it fits in very well with the story as this happens at the beginning of the movie and shows how he is more ruthless and sets it up nicely as a contrast to when he is confident enough and at the end of his hero's journey to where he is willing and able to show his brother the mercy he didn't show Black Manta's father.
Old 01-09-19, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I found it interesting that in the middle when they're on the boat he turns to Meera/Mera/Mara and tells her he let him die and now his son wants to kill her, so at that point he's starting to be sorry but only sorry because of how it affects him.
Old 01-09-19, 01:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I'll go back and read the thread, but my initial thoughts:

That was about three movies worth of plot crammed into one movie.

You want to undercover kill Mera without her dad knowing? Send your elite troops to join Black Manta, and give him Atlantean armor, that will remove all suspicion.

did they really just do an unironic homage to MoS at the end there? People dying all around, making it seem like there are fireworks, and Mera and Aquaman kiss? Ugh.

Aquaman has this realization that maybe he should have saved Black Manta's father. I was actually kind of ok with that early scene with the kind of hero and person they were making him out to be, but hey, he's a hero, he's got remorse, and he realizes that letting that person die actually made it worse for him. Cool. Then he straight up murders thousands and thousands of his own people.

You can argue that these guys are all soldiers and they're not civilians, fine. Mera even mentions to him that there are too many casualties. You think? You want to lead these people, when they already view you as a guy who wants to side with the surface dwellers, and you're basically having sharks eat your own soldiers and huge kaiju lay waste to battleships worth of your troops. Oh, but hey, the dude who started it all, he's gotta be spared.

All the talk that he's going to unite the land and the sea. What? How? Because his dad is from the land?

The other really dumb thing that stood out to me was why did Mera and Aquaman need a boat. Sure, when he was unconscious, use the boat. But otherwise it was just an excuse to have an admittedly cool scene.

The unintentional parallels to Black Panther are interesting. Outsider comes in to usurp the throne because of his Western ideals and the fact he doesn't believe in what the current monarch is doing. Except in this case the current monarch actually is winning the battle of succession until the outsider's loyal troops cheat to let him survive and win the throne later.

Cool fight scenes, cool visuals, though. To their credit, I only thought about the gungans a few times. Some nice use of comedy, then some overuse of comedy especially with the soundtrack, but it made the movie more enjoyable so ok.

Was that supposed to be some kind of homage to Thundercats? The Trident of Omens? he did it twice, and both times I thought of Lion-O.
Old 01-09-19, 01:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post
I'm sure people have appeared in both DC and Marvel movies before, but I thought it was interesting that Park was in this right after being in Ant-Man and the Wasp.
Not that you could recognize him in this movie, but Djimon Honsou is in this, Shazam!, and Captain Marvel (the Marvel one, reprising his role from Guardians of the Galaxy). He's in both Captain Marvel movies!
Old 01-09-19, 06:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy View Post
I hope the DCEU can recoup a fraction of their massive losses from this billion-dollar-grossing failure.

I read somewhere that studios don't see as much of the money back from countries like China, so while overseas grosses are great, some of their returns don't equal the percentage they get in North America, which is why box office here is still a big deal. But obviously, yes, DC has to be happy with how the movie is performing globally, although they still have a problem with American viewers, it seems.
Old 01-09-19, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
The other really dumb thing that stood out to me was why did Mera and Aquaman need a boat. Sure, when he was unconscious, use the boat. But otherwise it was just an excuse to have an admittedly cool scene.
Aquaman wasn't just unconscious. He was severely injured from the Black Manta fight (severe burns on his arms and chest, to start with) He woke up with some kind of "healing kelp" (or whatever) all over him. Quick-heal plot device. Whatever. The point being, he was in no shape to swim until then. And we're not quite sure what the distance was between Sicily and the Trench. Even top swimmers tire out, and that's when they're not injured.
Old 01-09-19, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt View Post
I read somewhere that studios don't see as much of the money back from countries like China, so while overseas grosses are great, some of their returns don't equal the percentage they get in North America, which is why box office here is still a big deal. But obviously, yes, DC has to be happy with how the movie is performing globally, although they still have a problem with American viewers, it seems.
Certainly, but this applies to all movies that smash hard overseas -- not just DCEU. And Hollywood markets HARD to China, because they do see huge results there (when your movie isn't Star Wars or features a black protagonist, anyhow). The overseas box office of 2018 is not the same as that of 1998 or 2008.

There's simply no way you can spin Aquaman's BO performance as disappointing or lesser without applying that standard across the board.
Old 01-09-19, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Aquaman wasn't just unconscious. He was severely injured from the Black Manta fight (severe burns on his arms and chest, to start with) He woke up with some kind of "healing kelp" (or whatever) all over him. Quick-heal plot device. Whatever. The point being, he was in no shape to swim until then. And we're not quite sure what the distance was between Sicily and the Trench. Even top swimmers tire out, and that's when they're not injured.
When he was in shape to swim they didn't swim. It was a plot device, though it resulted in a cool scene.

In fact, the whole Tomb Raider aspect of the movie seemed overly complex. Here's an artifact (that we conveniently recently uncovered) that will lead you to a desert that will lead you to Italy that will lead you back to the deep Ocean where your mother died. There's a clue in a modern looking bottle in an ancient civilization that existed before the Sahara was covered in sand that uses a statue of Romulus as the final clue, just to go back to the trench. That's before you even question how they got out of the Sahara and how much twiddling of thumbs Manta was doing while they were there. It was obviously to give us some cool venues and to try to show Mera softening to Aquaman and the surface world. Plus we're shown that historically others had figured it out and made the journey to try to reclaim the trident.

Speaking of Aquaman's journey, Vulco says he's twice the king Orm will ever be, but we are never really shown why. Why did Vulco side with Arthur so early on? Why does anyone think he can unite land and sea when he had dominion over neither? He gets the trident not because he's grown as a character but because he can talk to fish, something he could do as a child. He shows remorse in letting Manta's dad die only because it came back to bite him in the rear and affected Mera. And like I said, he then murders thousands of Atlanteans, then spares his brother because he's learned his lesson. What?

BTW, why was Orm so mad at the surface world. Because they were polluting? That's actually a good point, but they've lived in secret for a long time, and they never thought to negotiate with the surface world? They solved the clean energy thing before the cities sank, but they never shared their tech? Orm isn't able to go to war with the surface world until he unites the tribes, but he can go ahead and do a preemptive strike destroying warships and a coastal town and affecting coasts all over the world? Then they reveal that Dolph wasn't tricked by the submarine, but then why all the theatrics in that initial meeting? Was that a rewrite?

Great visuals, but this was more an Avatar-like spectacle than a really good movie.
Old 01-10-19, 01:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post

Aquaman has this realization that maybe he should have saved Black Manta's father. I was actually kind of ok with that early scene with the kind of hero and person they were making him out to be, but hey, he's a hero, he's got remorse, and he realizes that letting that person die actually made it worse for him. Cool. Then he straight up murders thousands and thousands of his own people.

You can argue that these guys are all soldiers and they're not civilians, fine. Mera even mentions to him that there are too many casualties. You think? You want to lead these people, when they already view you as a guy who wants to side with the surface dwellers, and you're basically having sharks eat your own soldiers and huge kaiju lay waste to battleships worth of your troops. Oh, but hey, the dude who started it all, he's gotta be spared.
Yeah I didn't really like that part either. I think it would have played better if he tried to stop the battle to begin with then have them ignore him and try to fight anyways. I thought they would have immediately given up when he showed up with Mary Poppins and excalibur but then that wouldn't have been a satisfying ending either if they just gave up. I wish movie makers would think about things like that before hand because a simple change can make a big difference. I think sensible motivation and logical character actions are important to a movie like this.
Old 01-10-19, 06:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

There's simply no way you can spin Aquaman's BO performance as disappointing or lesser without applying that standard across the board.

Oh, I'm not...I'm just wondering why everyone's (not here, just in the media) so focused on Aquaman's global take and not on the fact that it's doing rather poorly here in the States (it's STILL only currently the 5th out of 6 DCU movies in domestic box office and will likely finish 4th - behind Suicide Squad, BvS, and probably a whole $100 million behind WW). If a Marvel movie had this kind of North American results (and the same global results), the "buzz" would almost certainly be reversed.
Old 01-10-19, 07:41 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Oh, I'm not...I'm just wondering why everyone's (not here, just in the media) so focused on Aquaman's global take and not on the fact that it's doing rather poorly here in the States (it's STILL only currently the 5th out of 6 DCU movies in domestic box office and will likely finish 4th - behind Suicide Squad, BvS, and probably a whole $100 million behind WW). If a Marvel movie had this kind of North American results (and the same global results), the "buzz" would almost certainly be reversed.
So a movie which will most likely clear 300 million, has dominated the box office since release, will probably be number 1 for about a month is somehow a disappointment in the US? That makes no sense whatsoever.

On another note, good for Dolph Lundgren for being in a movie that grossed a billon worldwide. Never thought I would be saying those words.
Old 01-10-19, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

"Doing poorly"? It's continuing to perform strongly at the box office, with good holds for a blockbuster and looking to clear $300 million. Depending on holds it has a chance of overtaking both BvS and Suicide Squad as well.

It has also outgrossed Captain American: The Winter Soldier, X-Men: Days of Future Passed, Doctor Strange, Logan, Ant-Man & The Wasp, Venom, Thor: The Dark World, and a host of other recent superhero flicks.

And it's an ORIGIN flick for a character who has been oft been the punchline of superhero jokes for decades.

Let's not even mention this will clear $1 BILLION internationally, which is an achievement in and of itself. I'm puzzled on how you could classify this as "doing poorly".
Old 01-10-19, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa

It's also likely to be #1 for four weeks in a row. That's pretty impressive.
Old 01-10-19, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I am so pleased at how well Aquaman is doing!

And as a longtime DC fan who is often frustrated at how much preference is given to Superman and Batman across all media, it makes me giddy at the critical and commercial success of both Aquaman and Wonder Woman.
Old 01-11-19, 12:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

With the critical and BO success of both Aquaman and Wonder Woman is anyone else but me pretty bummed that WB didn't build up to the Justice League properly like the MCU did? If they just took their time and not jumped the gun we could have had a serviceable Man of Steel, WW, Aquaman, Some kind of Batman movie, Then build up to BvS, Then maybe Flashpoint leading up to finally the Justice League and pepper in some other heroes as well for world building and build up the big bad being Dark Seid right away instead of Steppenwolf. I bet they could have even made cyborg likeable with his own movie.
Old 01-11-19, 05:59 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by tanman View Post
With the critical and BO success of both Aquaman and Wonder Woman is anyone else but me pretty bummed that WB didn't build up to the Justice League properly like the MCU did?
You're under the false assumption there is a "proper" way to do these, when in fact you just mean you "like Marvel's approach."

I liked Justice League and loved that they jumped right into that world without a half dozen origin stories first. I don't need Superman's origins. I didn't need to see Thomas and Martha get killed. I didn't need much Flash development because of the show. Wonder Woman just kicks ass period and made her mark without an origin story first. Cyborg really needed the development. I will give you Aquaman though, he's close to WW making his own mark because Momoa just had fun with it. He had enough of a presence but we could have definitely used his origin story prior to Justice League.

I think clearly, the real fuckup in this whole thing was handing the reigns to someone like Snyder instead of Feige. Someone with a master plan could make either approach work.
Old 01-11-19, 06:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Snyder had a plan. Unfortunately, it wasn't the best plan in the world...
Old 01-11-19, 06:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by robin2099 View Post
So a movie which will most likely clear 300 million, has dominated the box office since release, will probably be number 1 for about a month is somehow a disappointment in the US? That makes no sense whatsoever.
No, but considering Batman v Superman AND Suicide Squad are considered "failures" at the North American box office, why does Aquaman get a pass? Aquaman will make less money in America than either of those films. That's my complaint. Suicide was the #1 movie for three weeks in a row (just like Aquaman) and it NEVER got the "buzz" this film did - all it got was badmouthed (and rightfully so - it was awful).

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.