Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Aquaman (Wan, 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Aquaman (Wan, 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
1.64%
11.48%
36.07%
14.75%
14.75%
6.56%
8.20%
3.28%
1.64%
0
0%
0
0%
What are you high?
1.64%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Aquaman (Wan, 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Old 12-24-18, 03:46 PM
  #76  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Somewhere in the boonies, MA
Posts: 7,489
Re: Aquaman (Wan, 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by Giantrobo View Post
Exactly!! But hey, yet again Marvel gets a Pass on the same shit people criticize in DC films. But hey, it's probably all in my DC fanboy imagination....
Probably. A bad movie is a bad movie. It was all DC comics for me growing up too, but I know a mediocre film when I see one, and Warner doesn't really care to make good ones- just ones that do well at the box office. They have a formula, and they won't deviate from it regardless of the shit that comes out of the studio. The more action, the less dialogue the better it will do overseas. These are the movies we're going to get, and I've come to accept it. If a good one comes along it will be an anomaly and not the norm.
Eric F is offline  
Old 12-24-18, 04:03 PM
  #77  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Mike86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 18,471
Re: Aquaman (Wan, 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

I actually think people are starting to cut DC some slack truthfully. I was the resident DVD Talk DC hater and I’ve eased up a bit. The films are getting somewhat better, but overall still have issues. I liked Aquaman mostly and would say it’s got less problems than most of the previous films, but it still definitely leaves room for a lot of improvement.
Mike86 is offline  
Old 12-24-18, 04:41 PM
  #78  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Somewhere in the boonies, MA
Posts: 7,489
Re: Aquaman (Wan, 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by Mike86 View Post
I actually think people are starting to cut DC some slack truthfully. I was the resident DVD Talk DC hater and I’ve eased up a bit. The films are getting somewhat better, but overall still have issues. I liked Aquaman mostly and would say it’s got less problems than most of the previous films, but it still definitely leaves room for a lot of improvement.
It's a good movie for the DC films. The bar is set pretty low.
Eric F is offline  
Old 12-24-18, 04:59 PM
  #79  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Mike86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 18,471
Re: Aquaman (Wan, 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by Eric F View Post
It's a good movie for the DC films. The bar is set pretty low.
Exactly. The best DC movie is still not better than weakest MCU film in my opinion. The closest to being on par with a Marvel Studios film is Wonder Woman, but even that I really don’t feel is a great movie and was hyped as better than it is but falls victim to a lot of third act and villain issues. I’ve caught shit around here for dare saying that too.
Mike86 is offline  
Old 12-24-18, 07:29 PM
  #80  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Goldberg74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 16,665
Re: Aquaman (Wan, 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

I’d rather watch Wonder Woman again than Thor 2 or Ironman 3. 😉
Goldberg74 is offline  
Old 12-24-18, 07:37 PM
  #81  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Giantrobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: South Bay
Posts: 57,311
Re: Aquaman (Wan, 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by Eric F View Post
Probably. A bad movie is a bad movie. It was all DC comics for me growing up too, but I know a mediocre film when I see one, and Warner doesn't really care to make good ones- just ones that do well at the box office. They have a formula, and they won't deviate from it regardless of the shit that comes out of the studio. The more action, the less dialogue the better it will do overseas. These are the movies we're going to get, and I've come to accept it. If a good one comes along it will be an anomaly and not the norm.
All that is fine. But Michael Corvin still made a good point. It's selective criticism.
Giantrobo is offline  
Old 12-24-18, 07:38 PM
  #82  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Giantrobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: South Bay
Posts: 57,311
Re: Aquaman (Wan, 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by Goldberg74 View Post
I’d rather watch Wonder Woman again than Thor 2 or Ironman 3. 😉
DC Fanboy!
Giantrobo is offline  
Old 12-24-18, 08:58 PM
  #83  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Somewhere in the boonies, MA
Posts: 7,489
Re: Aquaman (Wan, 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by Goldberg74 View Post
I’d rather watch Wonder Woman again than Thor 2 or Ironman 3.
Do I have to watch any of them?
Eric F is offline  
Old 12-24-18, 09:08 PM
  #84  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Mike86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 18,471
Re: Aquaman (Wan, 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by Giantrobo View Post
All that is fine. But Michael Corvin still made a good point. It's selective criticism.
Not really. Marvel's CG generally looks pretty good. Whereas with DC it stands out like a sore thumb. Even for just basic things you can almost always tell. Marvel incorporates it more seamlessly and it isn't distractingly obvious.
Mike86 is offline  
Old 12-24-18, 09:47 PM
  #85  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: St Louis, MO
Posts: 6,608
Re: Aquaman (Wan, 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by Mike86 View Post
Not really. Marvel's CG generally looks pretty good. Whereas with DC it stands out like a sore thumb. Even for just basic things you can almost always tell. Marvel incorporates it more seamlessly and it isn't distractingly obvious.
Marvel is not at all immune to bad CGI. Black Panther had some pretty distractingly bad CGI in it, though it was otherwise one of the best Marvel movies overall.

I thought Aquaman's CGI was actually pretty impressive most of the time, aside from the aforementioned Kidman dive into the ocean. And I don't recall the CGI being bad at all in Wonder Woman. I haven't seen most of the other DC movies though.
kefrank is offline  
Old 12-24-18, 09:50 PM
  #86  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Mike86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 18,471
Re: Aquaman (Wan, 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

I said generally. It isn't always perfect but generally its pretty good.
Mike86 is offline  
Old 12-24-18, 10:00 PM
  #87  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: St Louis, MO
Posts: 6,608
Re: Aquaman (Wan, 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by Mike86 View Post
I said generally. It isn't always perfect but generally its pretty good.
I guess I was responding more to the "Marvel incorporates it more seamlessly and it isn't distractingly obvious" comment. In Black Panther at least, the CGI was distractingly obvious and not at all seamless to my eyes. Most other Marvel movies that I've seen have been pretty good though.
kefrank is offline  
Old 12-25-18, 12:44 AM
  #88  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Spiderbite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 13,327
Re: Aquaman (Wan, 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by kefrank View Post
I thought Aquaman's CGI was actually pretty impressive most of the time, aside from the aforementioned Kidman dive into the ocean.
Not sure why people would bitch about Aquaman's CG. That was the least of its problems.
Spiderbite is offline  
Old 12-25-18, 09:32 AM
  #89  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Giantrobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: South Bay
Posts: 57,311
Re: Aquaman (Wan, 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by Spiderbite View Post
Not sure why people would bitch about Aquaman's CG. That was the least of its problems.
Exactly.

My theory has always been when people don't like a film they nitpick every thing. They go looking for things to criticize to pile on. The other side of that is when they love a film, they give passes to flaws, plot holes, lack of logic, etc. We all do it.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 12-25-18 at 09:57 AM.
Giantrobo is offline  
Old 12-25-18, 09:35 AM
  #90  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Giantrobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: South Bay
Posts: 57,311
Re: Aquaman (Wan, 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by kefrank View Post
I guess I was responding more to the "Marvel incorporates it more seamlessly and it isn't distractingly obvious" comment. In Black Panther at least, the CGI was distractingly obvious and not at all seamless to my eyes. Most other Marvel movies that I've seen have been pretty good though.
I agree. The CGI Panther fights were well done but far from perfect. Some of the Iron Man stuff in other films makes him seem...robotic. In Infinity War the Black Order all looked like shit. I even said in the Avengers:IW reviews thread they were DC JL Steppenwolf level bad acknowledging the bad cgi in a DC film. But all of that is OK because most of us still enjoyed those films so we give them a pass on less than perfect CGI...others ignore it outright.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 12-25-18 at 09:52 AM.
Giantrobo is offline  
Old 12-25-18, 09:35 AM
  #91  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
fumanstan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 55,343
Re: Aquaman (Wan, 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Oh good, the Marvel getting a pass argument again. To be fair, the "too much CG" post that Corvin seemed to respond to, which I assume was Double_Oh_7's post, also called them loud and boring which to me is less about being hypocritical about CG in general and more about whether they're effective for the specific viewer. I don't think it makes someone hypocritical in this case.

Lots of movies are stuffed with CG, it doesn't mean the audience reacts and responds to them the same way. There's so much that can affect a viewer's experience, the top of which is engagement in the rest of the movie where the audience's acceptance of those big action sequences are often affected by how invested they are in the rest of the movie.
fumanstan is offline  
Old 12-25-18, 09:38 AM
  #92  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Giantrobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: South Bay
Posts: 57,311
Re: Aquaman (Wan, 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by Mike86 View Post
Not really.
Yes Really.

Marvel's CG generally looks pretty good. Whereas with DC it stands out like a sore thumb. Even for just basic things you can almost always tell. Marvel incorporates it more seamlessly and it isn't distractingly obvious.
Not at all true. Not so great CGI exists in both. But your Love of MCU films allows you to give an less than perfect CGI a pass; and your general dislike of DC films allows you and others here to be overly critical. It's ok, is what it is... I can overlook not so great CGI in DC films because I like them. I can admit that, why can't you?

Last edited by Giantrobo; 12-25-18 at 09:48 AM.
Giantrobo is offline  
Old 12-25-18, 09:41 AM
  #93  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Giantrobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: South Bay
Posts: 57,311
Re: Aquaman (Wan, 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
Oh good, the Marvel getting a pass argument again. To be fair, the "too much CG" post that Corvin seemed to respond to, which I assume was Double_Oh_7's post, also called them loud and boring which to me is less about being hypocritical about CG in general and more about whether they're effective for the specific viewer. I don't think it makes someone hypocritical in this case.

Lots of movies are stuffed with CG, it doesn't mean the audience reacts and responds to them the same way. There's so much that can affect a viewer's experience, the top of which is engagement in the rest of the movie where the audience's acceptance of those big action sequences are often affected by how invested they are in the rest of the movie.

Sure...maybe. But the convo turned to bad cgi and selective criticism so....yeah.
Giantrobo is offline  
Old 12-25-18, 10:19 AM
  #94  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Mike86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 18,471
Re: Aquaman (Wan, 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by Giantrobo View Post
Yes Really.



Not at all true. Not so great CGI exists in both. But your Love of MCU films allows you to give an less than perfect CGI a pass; and your general dislike of DC films allows you and others here to be overly critical. It's ok, is what it is... I can overlook not so great CGI in DC films because I like them. I can admit that, why can't you?
Because I disagree? You seem to think I blindly hate DC which isn’t true. They continue to give reasons for me to give them harsher criticism and that includes their bad CG. If you notice I actually said I liked most of this film but it’s still got issues.
Mike86 is offline  
Old 12-25-18, 10:23 AM
  #95  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
fumanstan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 55,343
Re: Aquaman (Wan, 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by Giantrobo View Post
I agree. The CGI Panther fights were well done but far from perfect. Some of the Iron Man stuff in other films makes him seem...robotic. In Infinity War the Black Order all looked like shit. I even said in the Avengers:IW reviews thread they were DC JL Steppenwolf level bad acknowledging the bad cgi in a DC film. But all of that is OK because most of us still enjoyed those films so we give them a pass on less than perfect CGI...others ignore it outright.
Matter of opinion, but I don't think the Black Order looked like shit at all. I think they looked pretty good overall, and weren't at all comparable to how bad a character like Steppenwolf looked. I don't recall many CGI complaints about Infinity War, but if you're going to believe everyone is simply overlooking it because of a Marvel bias I imagine I'm not going to change your mind, but I certainly don't agree with that example.

That's not to say Marvel doesn't have some bad CG, with the last fight sequence in Black Panther between Panther and Killmonger standing out to me, but I think Marvel has generally done a better job blending their CG sequences in with their movies, especially when it comes to fully generated characters. Thanos or even the Chitauri were better then Doomsday or Steppenwolf and the Parademons to me. Their human-like characters haven't been an issue for me though. Supes, Wonder Woman, and Aquaman have all been pretty good.
fumanstan is offline  
Old 12-25-18, 11:07 AM
  #96  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Giantrobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: South Bay
Posts: 57,311
Re: Aquaman (Wan, 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by Mike86 View Post
Because I disagree? You seem to think I blindly hate DC which isn’t true. They continue to give reasons for me to give them harsher criticism and that includes their bad CG. If you notice I actually said I liked most of this film but it’s still got issues.
That's all i wanted to hear. You admit you criticize them harsher. Just not sure why you and Fumanstan get so worked up when it's pointed out.

BTW...though we don't agree on the level of "SUCK" in the DCEU...I never said and will never say that DC doesn't give you guys reason to criticize them even harshly. Shit man, I know they do.

And fuck....I know Marvel earned their "passes" with 10 years of "great" comic book films. I wouldn't even try to deny that.
Giantrobo is offline  
Old 12-25-18, 11:21 AM
  #97  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Giantrobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: South Bay
Posts: 57,311
Re: Aquaman (Wan, 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
Matter of opinion, but I don't think the Black Order looked like shit at all. I think they looked pretty good overall, and weren't at all comparable to how bad a character like Steppenwolf looked. I don't recall many CGI complaints about Infinity War, but if you're going to believe everyone is simply overlooking it because of a Marvel bias I imagine I'm not going to change your mind, but I certainly don't agree with that example.

Like you said. matter of opinion. And I recall complaints about the Black Order's CGI. Contrast that with the AWESOME CGI for Thanos and it all balances out.


That's not to say Marvel doesn't have some bad CG, with the last fight sequence in Black Panther between Panther and Killmonger standing out to me, but I think Marvel has generally done a better job blending their CG sequences in with their movies, especially when it comes to fully generated characters.
Agreed about Black Panther fights. But Iron Man hasn't always looked good. Like I sad, at times he seemed robotic.


Thanos or even the Chitauri were better then Doomsday or Steppenwolf and the Parademons to me. Their human-like characters haven't been an issue for me though. Supes, Wonder Woman, and Aquaman have all been pretty good.

As I said...I agree about Thanos. Awesome job. But come on man...the Chitauri and the Parademons were comparable. Both look like Mass produced CGI creatures generated by the same guy, same computer, same software.
Giantrobo is offline  
Old 12-25-18, 11:28 AM
  #98  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
fumanstan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 55,343
Re: Aquaman (Wan, 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by Giantrobo View Post
That's all i wanted to hear. You admit you criticize them harsher. Just not sure why you and Fumanstan get so worked up when it's pointed out.
I don't think the quote you bolded is intended to mean what you think it does.

And I don't get worked up any more then you do in bringing them up, I just respond because I disagree with you, especially when it comes to believing DC is receiving unfair treatment over Marvel.

Originally Posted by Giantrobo View Post

As I said...I agree about Thanos. Awesome job. But come on man...the Chitauri and the Parademons were comparable. Both look like Mass produced CGI creatures generated by the same guy, same computer, same software.
I disagree completely, I think the Chitauri have better weight and movement to them while in action versus the Parademons. I also don't have any complaints about Iron Man, he's looked pretty good overall as well. But I also think he's easier to model and animate because of the nature of a robot suit fitting better in the real world then an alien creature.
fumanstan is offline  
Old 12-25-18, 11:28 AM
  #99  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Mike86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 18,471
Re: Aquaman (Wan, 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by Giantrobo View Post
That's all i wanted to hear. You admit you criticize them harsher. Just not sure why you and Fumanstan get so worked up when it's pointed out.

BTW...though we don't agree on the level of "SUCK" in the DCEU...I never said and will never say that DC doesn't give you guys reason to criticize them even harshly. Shit man, I know they do.

And fuck....I know Marvel earned their "passes" with 10 years of "great" comic book films. I wouldn't even try to deny that.
I’m getting worked up? Seems more like it’s you that’s getting worked up in reaction to my criticism.
Mike86 is offline  
Old 12-25-18, 05:19 PM
  #100  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Giantrobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: South Bay
Posts: 57,311
Re: Aquaman (Wan, 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
I don't think the quote you bolded is intended to mean what you think it does.

And I don't get worked up any more then you do in bringing them up, I just respond because I disagree with you, especially when it comes to believing DC is receiving unfair treatment over Marvel.
Sure it does. He said it.


I disagree completely, I think the Chitauri have better weight and movement to them while in action versus the Parademons. I also don't have any complaints about Iron Man, he's looked pretty good overall as well. But I also think he's easier to model and animate because of the nature of a robot suit fitting better in the real world then an alien creature.
Disagree all you want. Like you said, it's all opinions right? Also, to be clear, I didn't say you had issues with Iron Man. I'm saying I had them. That said, though he is a "Iron Man" he doesn't need to be Robotic. By that I mean often in CGI the action is too stiff or suddenly stops where a living things still moves even if only a little bit. It's more natural.
Giantrobo is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.