Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Aquaman (Wan, 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Aquaman (Wan, 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
1.64%
11.48%
36.07%
14.75%
14.75%
6.56%
8.20%
3.28%
1.64%
0%
0%
What are you high?
1.64%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Aquaman (Wan, 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Old 12-23-18, 01:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Aquaman (Wan, 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Too much... it's just too long, and too stuffed with loud and boring CGI sequences. When it finally got to the Atlan trident scene towards the end I thought, "Dang, there's still a huge CGI finale to go after this." TOO MUCH.
Old 12-23-18, 01:31 AM

I enjoyed the movie and Jason Momoa did a great job, but the movie was pretty generic. I'm going to remember it more for his father reuniting with his mother.

Spoiler:
Did anyone else bust out laughing at the end when he gives the closing monologue?

I am the King of the Sea... I Am... Aquaman!

It gave off a level of absurdity. They spent the entire movie establishing him as Arthur, then King Arthur, and then... Aquaman.

Maybe it's because I didn't follow the comics and I only know him as the fish-guy from the Justice League, but they could have said Wolf-Boy and had the same level of dignity.
Old 12-23-18, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Gotta laugh at the "too much CG" complaints. Nothing is real in either of these photos. Toss in any given LOTR screengrab too. Big, loud CG battles aren't new.

Old 12-23-18, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin View Post
Gotta laugh at the "too much CG" complaints. Nothing is real in either of these photos. Toss in any given LOTR screengrab too. Big, loud CG battles aren't new.

What does one thing have to do with another? I have no problem using a lot of CG in action movies, it's par for the course in the sci-fi/fantasy stuff these days. It's another when it's just bad, and as I watched I was thinking to myself how the CG in LotR movies were probably better, and those were done >15yrs ago. The DC movies (for the most part) have terrible CG. If it's going to be bad why put so much of it on display?
Old 12-23-18, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, that is one thing with DC films. I don't know why but their CG always comes across really badly. Its got like a really glossy look to it where its so evident that it is CG. In Marvel films the CG feels more seamless to me.
Old 12-23-18, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I heard one guy say the quality of the cgi is mainly due to time. Movies tend to have better cgi because they have more time to work it. This is why cgi at the end of films tend to look worse than early cgi. Then 3D in 2D showings makes it even worse.
Old 12-23-18, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I didn't notice anything egregious. The only thing that looked "weird" to me was Aquaman's mom's dive off the pier. Looked like she dove about 20' before hitting the water.

Nothing was near as bad as Steppenwolf.
Old 12-23-18, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Baron Of Hell View Post
I heard one guy say the quality of the cgi is mainly due to time. Movies tend to have better cgi because they have more time to work it. This is why cgi at the end of films tend to look worse than early cgi. Then 3D in 2D showings makes it even worse.
Thing is though this has been in production for a while. It isn't like they just rushed it out or something. There has to be another reason why their CG isn't up to par. Either they cheap out on it or need a different team or something.
Old 12-23-18, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Who's Warner's go-to CG production house for these movies?
Old 12-23-18, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Just got back from seeing this. Great fun at the movies! Loved that they essentially worked this in:

Not to mention sharks with frickin laser beams attached!
Old 12-23-18, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

They missed the perfect opportunity when he was in the bar with his dad. He should have been eating seafood and played out this scene with the other customers before they asked for a selfie. This was so obvious- how could they not do this?
Old 12-23-18, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I didn't notice anything egregious. The only thing that looked "weird" to me was Aquaman's mom's dive off the pier. Looked like she dove about 20' before hitting the water.

Nothing was near as bad as Steppenwolf.
That one stuck out to me as well. Offhand I can't recall anything else.

I mean, it was obvious that Kidman wasn't doing her own fighting, but that's not a CG thing.
Old 12-23-18, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Kidman's fight scene might have been my favorite.
Old 12-23-18, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Giles View Post
I agree Eric F - this was generic cut and paste super hero movie making and it didn't help when you add in cliched dumb dialogue and a story that could write itself - Patrick Wilson's over the top acting was just cringe inducing everytime he uttered "Ocean Master" it just made me giggle and roll the eyes

on the plus side the 3D at least makes it pure eye candy.
So glad I am not the only one. I am kinda shocked at all the praise for this movie in the forum.

Poor DC. I really want them to make a good DC Universe movie but they seem incapable of it (WW notwithstanding). They just can't seem to find the right balance of action, humor, drama or fun with their characters for whatever reason.

I personally got tired of Momoa incessant fake snarkiness immediately. It was mildly amusing in JL but a whole picture of it...no thanks. And with ZERO funny lines. ZERO. Lord...they tried with the humor but it fell flat EVERY time. The only spot that make me snicker was the Pros/Cons sheet that came up on the fight between Aquaman and Patrick Wilson. And they flashed it so fast that I was only able to read AM "cons" (he had no pros...hence the snicker).

The biggest issue I had happened right off the bat with AM. They made me dislike the hero. Did he have to let Black Manta's father die? Really? That certainly makes me want to pull for the titular hero of the film! (sarcasm) Huge mistake by the writers right off. Plus the dialogue was Star Wars prequel worthy. Every cliche you could think of. I was finishing people's lines in the movie having never seen this movie before throughout.

Dafoe sounded embarrassed with the dialogue every time he said anything. Though I do believe Marvel needs to call him when they decide to cast for Super Skrull...perfect face for it! Amber Heard was horrible and had zero chemistry with Momoa.

I did enjoy the cool looking stormtrooper outfits and the color use in the film. Though the costume for Kidman's reunion with AM took me completely out of what should have been a touching moment. I kept thinking he was going to cut his hand on the giant fin on her back or poke his eye out on her shoulder. And it just looked silly on top of that.

And was it just me or do you think it was in the script every time a character outstretched his arms and screamed "Oooooooohhhhhh!!!!!!" Watch it. It seemed screaming was as big a part of this movie as the shitty, cliched dialogue. I know IMAX is loud but jeez, my eyes were bleeding from all the screaming in the movie by all the main characters.

And I got tired of Momoa superhero posing in every scene. Go back at watch that as well. Every scene that he is standing still and not screaming "Oooooohhh" or spouting some non-funny snark...he is awkwardly super-hero posing. I am not sure he was even aware of it but if you drank a shot every time he does it, you will be dead before of the end of the film.

The visuals were nice in this but visuals do not an enjoyable super-hero movie make. Patrick Wilson was the best part of the movie but he wasn't very menacing. Actually, I was hoping he or Black Manta would have just kicked AM's ass the entire time after AM let BM's dad die.

Plus...I just couldn't help but want to laugh every time I saw a character riding on a sea animal. The Kingdom Of The Brine (or whatever it was called) scene was unintentionally funny (talking shellfish are hardly intimidating).

And what exactly are AM's powers? In this movie, he basically seemed invincible like Superman except he also can talk to fish. Are all Atlantians graced with superpowers? They seem to be...why? Why do they ride fish when they all seem to swim at super speed anyway? Why mention the votes of 7 kingdoms to become Ocean Master (I laughed when I typed that) when one doesn't exist anymore and one is missing? Doesn't that make it five kingdoms? Could the Atlantians breath underwater before their above-water kingdom got destroyed? If not, how did they come to evolve to breath underwater and not drown in the process? And on and on. I actually could go on and on but it isn't worth it.

Hey DC, buy a decent fucking script....then blow your wad on the visuals.
Sorry...this movie sucked.

I would watch Suicide Squad over this tripe any day. And SS has its own problems. Looks like Wonder Woman was an anomaly for DC.

My rating: ** out of *****
Old 12-23-18, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So you didn't like it?
Old 12-23-18, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Anyone else think it was strange that Atlanna's first instinct was to eat the goldfish?
Old 12-23-18, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7 View Post
Anyone else think it was strange that Atlanna's first instinct was to eat the goldfish?
That did strike me as a bit weird too. I guess though who knows what else they would eat underwater other than smaller fish probably.
Old 12-23-18, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7 View Post
Not really. Sea creatures eat other sea creatures all the time. I thought it was more odd that Mera's instinct was to eat the flowers.
Old 12-23-18, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post
That one stuck out to me as well. Offhand I can't recall anything else.

I mean, it was obvious that Kidman wasn't doing her own fighting, but that's not a CG thing.
I assume it was to show her jumping further than a human could.
Old 12-23-18, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Draven View Post
I assume it was to show her jumping further than a human could.
I assume so too, but it just looked fake to me.
Old 12-24-18, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Where was Porm?

Aquaman's powers were confusing. Why did he need the trident if he could communicate with sea life already? Did it amplify his powers? They never really made it clear.
Old 12-24-18, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Eric F View Post
Where was Porm?

Aquaman's powers were confusing. Why did he need the trident if he could communicate with sea life already? Did it amplify his powers? They never really made it clear.
That’s a good point about his powers. He already seemed to have them at the start of the film. All the trident seemed to do was make the people of Atlantis accept him as king. He was able to beat Ocean Master after obtaining it, but I’m not convinced he couldn’t have beat him anyways.
Old 12-24-18, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Mike86 View Post
That’s a good point about his powers. He already seemed to have them at the start of the film. All the trident seemed to do was make the people of Atlantis accept him as king. He was able to beat Ocean Master after obtaining it, but I’m not convinced he couldn’t have beat him anyways.
He was able to communicate with the guardian and that's what got him the Trident to begin with.

In the comics not only could Aquaman communicate with sea life, but any animals whose lives revolve around water like sea birds, otters, etc.
Old 12-24-18, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Exactly!! But hey, yet again Marvel gets a Pass on the same shit people criticize in DC films. But hey, it's probably all in my DC fanboy imagination....
Old 12-24-18, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I thought the movie was decent for the most part aside from my 30 minutes or so of napping.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.