Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Aquaman (Wan, 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Aquaman (Wan, 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
1.64%
11.48%
36.07%
14.75%
14.75%
6.56%
8.20%
3.28%
1.64%
0%
0%
What are you high?
1.64%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Aquaman (Wan, 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Old 12-17-18, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Re: Aquaman (Wan, 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

I caught the AMC Amazon Prime screening on Saturday. I liked it and gave it 4 out of 5 stars. Probably my 2nd favorite DC film after Wonder Woman.

But, this movie is a total CGI underwater fantasy, so you really just have to go with it and enjoy it for what it is. It's sometimes really goofy and over the top. But, it was fun and Momoa was enjoyable as Aquaman. Not a big fan of Amber Heard, but she was good as Mera. I also liked Patrick Wilson as the main baddie. Obviously he was cast because of his relationship with James Wan.

But, the world that Wan created and the digital effects were pretty amazing.

I heard there was a blink and miss reference to previous DC movies in this. I don't recall hearing it, does anyone know what it was?

I was fine with the Black Manta introduction. His appearance was brief, but it saves them from starting all over and doing his origin story in th inevitable sequel.
Old 12-17-18, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
I caught the AMC Amazon Prime screening on Saturday. I liked it and gave it 4 out of 5 stars. Probably my 2nd favorite DC film after Wonder Woman.

But, this movie is a total CGI underwater fantasy, so you really just have to go with it and enjoy it for what it is. It's sometimes really goofy and over the top. But, it was fun and Momoa was enjoyable as Aquaman. Not a big fan of Amber Heard, but she was good as Mera. I also liked Patrick Wilson as the main baddie. Obviously he was cast because of his relationship with James Wan.

But, the world that Wan created and the digital effects were pretty amazing.

I heard there was a blink and miss reference to previous DC movies in this. I don't recall hearing it, does anyone know what it was?

I was fine with the Black Manta introduction. His appearance was brief, but it saves them from starting all over and doing his origin story in th inevitable sequel.
Mera says something very briefly about defeating Steppenwolf. Don’t know if that is what you’re referring to.
Old 12-17-18, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I guess so. But thanks
Old 12-20-18, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Wooooo that was a fun ride. I loved it, and I really appreciate how they went all in. Crazy costumes, crazy settings, and made it all work. Great intro to Black Manta and leaves you wanting more. Ocean Master was well done. Loved seeing Dolph in there with a very calm performance.

Momoa looked amazing in the traditional costume, much better than the JL suit. His frat boy act slowly starts to fade as he begins to accept his role as the true king. And Amber was great as Mera. She had several scene stealing FX scenes.

Highly recommended, and I want to see it again soon.
Old 12-20-18, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Took my son and family friend to see the 5pm show at a Regal Cinema Theater and since I bought 3 tickets, they gave me an exclusive unmasked Black Manta POP! Vinyl figure.

Cool.

I agree with those who liked it for what it is... I gave it 4 stars.
Old 12-20-18, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Shit, I just got back from this, and it's not saying much, but this is the best film out of the DCEU! The video and audio was amazing!

Aquaman is basically Superman of the sea but when he got into fights they really pushed the boundaries of smashing people into a pulp to secure that PG-13 rating. Black Manta was also badass - that whole fight with him and the rooftop sequences in Italy were phenomenal.

I maygo back again this weekend to see it - I liked that much. The BD will be demo-worthy for sure.
Old 12-20-18, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Just saw it, gave it 3.5 stars. Wanted to give it 4, but couldn't quite justify it. I think it was about as good as an Aquaman movie can be. Worth seeing. Biggest problem I have is...

I was assuming it would be pre-JL, since the trailers seemed to indicate that Mera was seeking him out, trying t lure him from the surface world to take his rightful place as king of Atlantis. But her reference to Steppenwolf proved that assumption incorrect. So, I am now left wondering how the Hell Aquaman knew to visit Atlantis in JL to have his little chat with Mera and get Poseidon's Trident. Especially since this movie (Aquaman) went to great lengths to describe how impossible it is for an outsider to enter Atlantis. I can't reconcile the timeline or events, which irritates me.
Old 12-21-18, 05:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Shoveler View Post
Just saw it, gave it 3.5 stars. Wanted to give it 4, but couldn't quite justify it. I think it was about as good as an Aquaman movie can be. Worth seeing. Biggest problem I have is...

I was assuming it would be pre-JL, since the trailers seemed to indicate that Mera was seeking him out, trying t lure him from the surface world to take his rightful place as king of Atlantis. But her reference to Steppenwolf proved that assumption incorrect. So, I am now left wondering how the Hell Aquaman knew to visit Atlantis in JL to have his little chat with Mera and get Poseidon's Trident. Especially since this movie (Aquaman) went to great lengths to describe how impossible it is for an outsider to enter Atlantis. I can't reconcile the timeline or events, which irritates me.
I assume that was not truly Atlantis in JL, maybe an outskirt and he knew the location from Vulco.
Old 12-21-18, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Shoveler View Post

Aquaman was being trained by green goblin guy. He knew about Atlantis but didn't want anything to do with it. He even stated that this wasn't the first time someone tried to take him back to Atlantis.

I really liked the movie. A little uneven at times in tone. I did think they used Black Manta wrong. They should have used the young justice version. I thought some story points weren't well explained like I have no idea where sea godzilla came from as cool as it was.

Anyway overall pretty good. I would place is the second best live action DC movie right below wonder woman.
Old 12-21-18, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Also you will want to watch on the big screen instead of waiting for it stream somewhere. The battle scenes are epic in scale.
Old 12-21-18, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I'd place this above Wonder Woman because I still can't stand the final act of WW and Aries being an actual being. At least Aquaman kept the flow going all the way.
Old 12-21-18, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

In the New York Times print edition, the headline for Wesley Morris' review is "The Poseidon Misadventure."

In the on-line version, it's: "Our Hero Swims. His Movie Sinks."

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/19/m...an-review.html

Momoa is why some of us are going to “Aquaman.” He’s in one poster with his smoky eyes peeking out of some water. One hand’s gripping a trident. The other’s going “hang ten.” (He’s half native Hawaiian.) But none of that surf humor and none of that hotness are really anywhere in this movie. It’s just two and a half years — sorry, two and a half hours — of oceanic screen savers and hair that won’t stop undulating so we know when we’re underwater.

Aquaman’s been dragged out of DC’s Justice League. His pals include Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman, and his movie is as mediocre as the latest versions of theirs. Maybe “SpongeBob SquarePants” and “The Shape of Water” have set the bar too high for marine absurdity, but your local aquarium has a stronger sense of wonder than “Aquaman.”
Somehow I don't think Aquaman fans will be reading this review, nor will they care what the Times thinks.
Old 12-21-18, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I thought the movie was entertaining and worth four stars. I agree that the ending is better than Wonder Woman's but still rank that movie ahead of it in the DCU overall.

I saw it in Dolby Atmos, and the sound is pretty awesome. Big-screen movie for sure. I assumed the final battle would be with the surface world, but I was fine with the epic undersea war as well.

Black Manta didn't get much screen time, but I was fine with that considering everything else that was going on. It was starting to feel a little stretched when it wrapped up.

Some of the humor didn't quite click for me, but some of it was good, like the selfie-with-bar-guys scene.
Old 12-21-18, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just saw it. Hated it. I wish Warner/DC would realize that throwing as much (crappy) CG at us and hoping something sticks is not a way to make a good movie.

It doesn't help that the performances were bland and stale.

I found the whole movie to be one big snooze fest. What a disappointment after seeing Spiderverse a few days ago.
Old 12-21-18, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Wife and I saw it, she loved it and wants to see it again...she hardly ever wants to see a movie twice.

100% thumbs up for Momoa.

Action was great...chase in Sicily.

The put the MAN in Aquaman.
Old 12-22-18, 01:41 AM

I agree Eric F - this was generic cut and paste super hero movie making and it didn't help when you add in cliched dumb dialogue and a story that could write itself - Patrick Wilson's over the top acting was just cringe inducing everytime he uttered "Ocean Master" it just made me giggle and roll the eyes

on the plus side the 3D at least makes it pure eye candy.
Old 12-22-18, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Giles View Post
I agree Eric F - this was generic cut and paste super hero movie making and it didn't help when you add in cliched dumb dialogue and a story that could write itself - Patrick Wilson's over the top acting was just cringe inducing everytime he uttered "Ocean Master" it just made me giggle and roll the eyes

on the plus side the 3D at least makes it pure eye candy.
I saw it in standard 2D IMAX so maybe that's why I noticed the CG was so bad. It really was little to no better than the CG they use in all their other movies, just a lot more of it.

I suppose this is what we're going to expect from Warner now. At least some studios like Sony are willing to take a risk with movies like Spiderverse. I'm hoping that Shazam! will be better, but after this I've pretty much lost hope. Maybe Spiderverse will inspire Warner to put out another animated DC theatrical film. It's only been, what, 25yrs since Mask of the Phantasm came out?
Old 12-22-18, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Eric F View Post
Maybe Spiderverse will inspire Warner to put out another animated DC theatrical film. It's only been, what, 25yrs since Mask of the Phantasm came out?

Old 12-22-18, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by The Valeyard View Post
I forgot about those two. Yeah, Lego Batman was pretty good, and Teen Titans Go is something I wouldn't see. I'm talking about more traditional animation, or at least something more adult-focused.
Old 12-22-18, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

They do all those direct to video animated films though. Those are better in a lot of ways to me because they have more freedom in not having to appeal to the mainstream necessarily.
Old 12-22-18, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Mike86 View Post
They do all those direct to video animated films though. Those are better in a lot of ways to me because they have more freedom in not having to appeal to the mainstream necessarily.
I know they do, but they crank those out on a regular basis and are all (for the most part) Batman and Superman based material. With the exception of Batman Ninja they are all by-the-book stuff. The recent Constantine one was a little better than their usual faire.
Old 12-22-18, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Eric F View Post
I know they do, but they crank those out on a regular basis and are all (for the most part) Batman and Superman based material. With the exception of Batman Ninja they are all by-the-book stuff. The recent Constantine one was a little better than their usual faire.
You can pretty much guarantee if there was an animated theatrical film it would be the same though, only watered down. Either Batman, Superman, or Wonder Woman would probably be the chosen character or one of at least. You likely aren’t getting something out of the box from a theatrical DC film.
Old 12-22-18, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Mike86 View Post
You can pretty much guarantee if there was an animated theatrical film it would be the same though, only watered down. Either Batman, Superman, or Wonder Woman would probably be the chosen character or one of at least. You likely aren’t getting something out of the box from a theatrical DC film.
And that's sad. I guess Batman Ninja is about as out of the box as we're going to get. I know a lot of people didn't like it, but it was silly good fun, and the art was impressive, very much like Spiderverse in a lot of ways. Probably deserved a limited theatrical release at least like Disney does with their Ghibli films.
Old 12-22-18, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Saw it earlier. Loved it. 4 out of 5 for me. It was big, epic and fun. Sure some of the dialog was clunky but it wasn't a deal breaker. I too agree that Black Manta was kinda shoehorned in which could have shaved 20 minutes. There was just a lot of ground to cover (origin + battle for Atlantis) and this seems like the easiest thing that probably could have been saved for a sequel.

Momoa and Heard were awesome. Their scenes together were great. Likewise for Kidman and Morrison (whom I didn't recognize until the end). The whole "meeting her at the dock" plot thread was kinda moving. I've never found Kidman all that attractive but the long braids/dreads were working here. She looked great.

The movie was gorgeous, and the Atmos was phenomenal. Definitely felt like a theater experience. The score was good but Aquaman needed a stronger theme along the lines of Wonder Woman.

Lastly, I LOVED seeing Aquaman saving regular folks in Italy (or was it Greece?) during the Black Manta fight. The movie needed more of that.
Old 12-22-18, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Saw a matinee. Overall I liked it quite a bit. Maybe my favorite of the DCEU films to date.

Jason Momoa is a good Aquaman. Part of me still doesn’t like the tribal and grungy look he has but he’s got charisma for sure and seems into the role. Amber Heard is also good as Mera. Damn lovely woman. The action is mostly pretty good I felt like and overall the film has a fun tone. The comedy is mostly okay too. I particularly found it funny when the gang at the bar wanted to take selfies with him.

I will say though there are some flaws. I can see where some reviewers are saying it’s got too much going on. It sort of feels all over the place and while there is a focal point it jumps around a lot to get to it. Between the flashbacks, showing Black Manta (which while I liked honestly felt out of place somewhat), bouncing back to Ocean Master and company, and of course the main story it just felt busy.

Also the central story of Arthur and Mera finding the trident felt all over too as far as having a bunch of stops before getting to it. It just didn’t feel like it had the best flow to me.

Another thing is I didn’t like the songs they used at all. Whenever there was some overly poppy song on it took me out of it. Even some of the score/sound effects felt a bit too goofy (at one point it sounded like a stock sound effect piece from something like Looney Tunes of something crashing/falling during the fight with Black Manta I believe).

Black Manta I’m mixed on. It almost felt like those parts were out of a different movie to me. The battle between him and Aquaman is good, but it felt a bit unnecessary to this film in my opinion. On the plus side I like the actor and the look of Black Manta is great.

I also would say the movie felt long to me. By about the 1:45-2 hour mark I was feeling it and ready for it to wrap up. I feel like this would have been more solid at around two hours.

Overall though I’d say it’s worth seeing and like I say maybe my favorite DCEU film, but I still think there’s room for improvement. It’s a step in the right direction at least. I’d give it a 3.5 out of 5.

Last edited by Mike86; 12-22-18 at 09:53 PM.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.