Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Aquaman (Wan, 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Aquaman (Wan, 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
1.64%
11.48%
36.07%
14.75%
14.75%
6.56%
8.20%
3.28%
1.64%
0%
0%
What are you high?
1.64%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Aquaman (Wan, 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Old 01-17-19, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Aquaman (Wan, 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt View Post
No way you're getting one in 2021. Principal photography on THIS Aquaman was finished six months before JL hit theaters - that's how long those VFX and post-production took. The earliest you'll see a sequel is Christmas 2022 (MAYBE Summer 2022, but I bet WB sticks with a Christmas release, given their success here). I'm sure they're fast at work on a script and getting the pieces in place, but there's no way filming begins before 2020.
Justice League hit theaters in November 2017, this was released in December 2018. That's only a year, plus they had scoped out the December date for many reasons, not just to give them time to finish VFX (it was originally slotted for October 2018 but they pushed it back after Avatar II was officially postponed)

Last edited by RichC2; 01-17-19 at 09:41 AM.
Old 01-19-19, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

For those hoping for a 3D BD release, it looks like it isn't happening...
Old 01-19-19, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It is.
Old 01-19-19, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by E Unit View Post
It is.
Thanks, I read your post in the other thread.
Old 01-20-19, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Wife FINALLY decided she wanted to see AquaMonoa, uh Aquaman after months of being told by her friends she would love it (apparently my opinion of superhero movies are a bit biased). So tomorrow we’re seeing it since it’s a holiday.
Old 01-20-19, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

AquaMoan
Old 01-21-19, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
I've softened on the stance about DC jumping the gun, although there's some different factors involved. Obviously not every ensemble type movie needs individual films before teaming up, but I think it's a little different with comic book heroes and especially with Marvel given their status when the whole thing started. Marvel kind of had to start one by one since they took a someone sizable gamble (if I recall) producing their own movies and were starting with less established characters then what was already out there, so it made sense to start with a few characters like Iron Man or Captain America to test the waters. With these characters having rich origin stories worth telling, I don't think they could have jumped to Avengers and been as successful.

Going the individual hero route first also helps build some hype and anticipation and made Avengers more of an event film. I think the idea of seeing heroes team up together was a cool and unique thing to see for most audiences and it made it special, i'm sure the same way it would have been if you were a comic back reader back then. Until Black Panther, the Avengers movies were the biggest MCU grossers for a reason.

DC is/was in a little different boat. I think after Marvel did their thing it made sense to shake up the formula a little bit. And because Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman have some more known history to them it's less of a big deal to establish all of them individually. Batman v Superman wasn't a bad idea, and one which I don't think suffered from not knowing more about Batman or Wonder Woman in that universe. Heck, using the much maligned Zod/Superman fight was a clever jumping off point. They just did a poor job building off of it.

I think from there, Justice League was destined to struggle after the poor reception to BvS. Cinematic Universes only work if people enjoy the movies that build up to them. And I still say Justice League was fun.
This.

Originally Posted by Mike86 View Post
Here’s why I think Justice League doesn’t work without the setup. To the average viewer who knows nothing about the characters or comics seeing a group of randomly (to that type of viewer) assembled superheroes thrown together probably comes across as nothing more than a cheap knockoff of The Avengers. When something like the MCU exists there’s going to be comparisons either way, and yeah approaching it differently might have seemed like a good idea, but it didn’t work at all. It was a shit movie either way, but it probably was more on it being rushed so early on.

A comparison like Star Wars is completely different in my opinion. There wasn’t any pre-existing knowledge of that universe or those characters before the original film. At most it could have been compared with other sci-fi movies, but not much really was around for a direct comparison to at the time.
This.

Most importantly. THIS.

Justice League $229,024,295

Avengers $623,357,910

Can you imagine going back to pre 2008 and saying that the Avengers will make three times the BO of the Justice League? Marvel has clearly had the better approach when it comes down to the actual BO. You can argue the quality of the movies or if you like a certain character or not whatever it's a moot point. But when it comes to actual popularity dictated by BO it's clear that world building can lead to some astronomical BO numbers. Of course we will never know for sure but if they did this movie first there's no doubt that a lot of the good will from knowing who the hell Aquaman is would have lead to a much better BO for JL.
Old 01-22-19, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

What Marvel did right was make good movies, period. If DC had done the same or, arguably, made better ones, the results would have been about the same.

There's no roadmap to success, but quality speaks for itself. A crowd-pleasing Man of Steel and Batman V Superman would have led to a mammoth blockbuster Justice League. I liked both the aforementioned movies (the former much more than the latter) but they weren't exactly four-quadrant crowd-pleasers.
Old 01-23-19, 02:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy View Post
What Marvel did right was make good movies, period. If DC had done the same or, arguably, made better ones, the results would have been about the same.

There's no roadmap to success, but quality speaks for itself. A crowd-pleasing Man of Steel and Batman V Superman would have led to a mammoth blockbuster Justice League. I liked both the aforementioned movies (the former much more than the latter) but they weren't exactly four-quadrant crowd-pleasers.
That's true there's no sure fire way. And this is largely an academic argument. And you're absolutely right a crowd pleasing MoS and BvS would have led to a mammoth blockbuster JL....as would have a crowd pleasing Aquaman that we just got and that's my point. In hindsight since these individual movies are doing so well both at the BO and in general with the audience it would have been awesome to have them first. But I do know if they kept up the quality of these movies that the JL movie would have absolutely done gangbusters at the BO.
Old 01-26-19, 12:59 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Saw this again tonight. Went to a Cinemark theatre that I had a free ticket for.

Funny thing to mention, I originally saw this back in December during one of the early AMC screenings and enjoyed it. But, after seeing it again tonight, I realized that must have freaking dozed off for like 12-15 minutes or so back then as there was stuff I didn't recall seeing. This was scenes early in the movie. I must have unknowingly been really tired when I originally saw it. Glad I saw it again.

But anyways, it was a fun watch again. I'll likely pick up the 4K UHD disc when it's released in March.
Old 01-27-19, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't know if this was mentioned in any previous post but I think it's sort of a missed opportunity not calling the core Skartaris. It was the first thing I thought of after they got there. It would have been a good easter egg and would have made DC fanboys go nuts with speculations.
Old 01-28-19, 01:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well, after having weekends with too much to do, and then getting sick (with that lasting for a couple weeks), I finally got to see this today.

And I liked it. A lot. Sure, it was about 10 minutes too long, and the main villain was really one dimensional, but I thought that Momoa was really good (I've liked him since he was on Stargate Atlantis - great show, too), and I loved the backstory and set up for Black Manta. He's got a real, legit reason to want revenge on Aquaman. They've given him something of a sympathetic motivation. Much moreso than most MCU villains. Hopefully that pays off with him being the main villain in Aquaman 2.

I also liked Amber Heard, and I forgot that Nicole Kidman was in the movie (and she looked different enough that I wasn't sure that it was really her until the credits). I liked the backstory for Aquaman, too.

There was a lot to like about this movie, some minor things to criticize, but overall it was a good movie that was really enjoyable. DC/WB seems to be headed in the right direction with Wonder Woman, Justice League (better than it's reputation), and now Aquaman. Or they were headed in the right direction. Dumping Cavill and Affleck is a mistake.

Last edited by B5Erik; 01-28-19 at 01:26 AM.
Old 01-28-19, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm mixed on this one, it was entertaining enough but a lot of it came off as really corny, Manta was lame and it felt less like a movie and more like an extended trailer or having someone fast forward to "all the good scenes" -- especially in the first hour (it improved a bit later on). A lot of scenes with plot details but with no real connective tissue.

Still, a decent enough theater trip on a rainy day.

Last edited by RichC2; 01-28-19 at 07:58 PM.
Old 03-08-19, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Finally saw this film last night.

As others have already posted here, the film has enjoyable scenes but overall feels very average.

One of my main issues with the film is that there doesn't seem to be much tension. Arthur does face a great deal of challenges throughout the film, yet he and Mera do not ever seem to struggle for long before figuring things out.

There didn't wasn't even tension with the Ocean Master starting a war with the surface, which is mainly due to the Script giving Ocean Master a million things to do before starting one.
Old 03-19-19, 12:55 PM

Old 03-19-19, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Can't argue with any of those points, but I still fucking loved this movie So much fun
Old 03-19-19, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, it was a good video, although the inconsistency with his powers was explained. Black Manta's metal that harmed Aquaman was made from Atlatean steel. In fact, Black Manta said as much when he cut him.
Old 03-31-19, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I watched this last night and really liked it! IMO, it’s better the the previous DC movies, including Wonder Woman! Frankly, I’d rank it higher than a lot of Marvel’s flicks.

Everyone involved was awesome. Momoa was the best thing about JL so I wasn’t surprised by his badassness but Amber Heard and Nicole Kidman were pleasant surprises. The only actor I wasn’t crazy about was Patrick Wilson who reminded me of a young Julian Sands with his hair do every time he was on screen.

The Honest Trailer posted above hit it with their comment of the explosion interruptions. They started getting a little ridiculous after about the third one but it is a minor complaint to an otherwise awesomely fun movie.
Old 03-31-19, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Frickin' sharks with frickin' laser beam on their frickin' heads!
Old 04-01-19, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Finally Red Box'd it over the weekend and enjoyed it. All the ocean/Atlantis scenes were awesome. Loved his finally appearing in the Aquaman outfit, loved Orm/Ocean master, loved Black Manta and his Father (who voiced the Black Manta like character on the JLU cartoon) and loved how the "bad guy" stories resolved without doing the usual, bad guy gets killed trope. Some jokes were goofy AF but I get this is where DC has to go now since people bitched and moaned about the darker tones.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 04-03-19 at 03:48 PM.
Old 04-03-19, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I redboxed this as well. Probably my favorite superhero movie. It was over the top but in a damn fun way. Momoa was great, I have liked him since his Stargate Atlantis days and I am glad to see someone from that series take off.
Black Manta definitely felt like a setup for the next movie but he did play the initial role of getting Dolph Lundgren to join with Orm with sub attack.
I will be buying this on blu ray.
" could've just pee'd on it"
Old 04-03-19, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by mewmartigan View Post
I redboxed this as well. Probably my favorite superhero movie. It was over the top but in a damn fun way. Momoa was great, I have liked him since his Stargate Atlantis days and I am glad to see someone from that series take off.
Black Manta definitely felt like a setup for the next movie but he did play the initial role of getting Dolph Lundgren to join with Orm with sub attack.
I will be buying this on blu ray.
" could've just pee'd on it"
That whole sub attack was beyond stupid. They kind of imply Dolph knew it was a trick and didn't really care, but they didn't even check to see where that sub came from or who was on it or anything.
Old 04-03-19, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
That whole sub attack was beyond stupid. They kind of imply Dolph knew it was a trick and didn't really care, but they didn't even check to see where that sub came from or who was on it or anything.
Who didn't?
Old 04-15-19, 05:33 AM

Oh, Paul.