Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Bumblebee (2018, D: Travis Knight) - The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Bumblebee (2018, D: Travis Knight) - The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
0
0%
17.86%
46.43%
25.00%
7.14%
0
0%
0
0%
0
0%
0
0%
0
0%
0
0%
Michael Bay got it Right!!!!
3.57%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Bumblebee (2018, D: Travis Knight) - The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Old 12-24-18, 03:27 PM
  #26  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
DJariya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: La Palma, CA
Posts: 55,839
Re: Bumblebee (2018, D: Travis Knight) - The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by Cellar Door View Post
I'm actually interested in seeing this one after reading some of the positive reviews. I gave up on the Bay movies after the second one. The first one was disappointing and the second was utter shit. Glad they got a different director for this.
You'll have no trouble following it. It's a complete reboot of the series and starting from scratch.

I think it captures a lot of the magic of the old TV cartoon series and maybe even a little ET as well.

Travis Knight was a great choice to direct this. He really toned down the over the top action sequences and actually brought character to the robots.
DJariya is offline  
Old 12-24-18, 04:33 PM
  #27  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 5,365
Re: Bumblebee (2018, D: Travis Knight) - The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Came in 3rd place this weekend since Aquaman took the top spot (as expected). I think Bee is a great film that should have some legs for the next few weeks.
candyrocket786 is offline  
Old 12-29-18, 07:07 PM
  #28  
TGM
DVD Talk Legend
 
TGM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 15,683
Re: Bumblebee (2018, D: Travis Knight) - The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Just came back from this with the kids, and we all loved it. Predictable but entertaining. The lead girl was great, and pretty smokin' hot... damn, those eyes. It was absolutely wonderful being able to make out the robots, instead of it being a clusterfuck of metallic bits fighting each other like the other movies. Nice marriage of the G1 design and some leftover stuff from Michael Bay's movies. Loved, loved, loved the soundtrack (and they even snuck in The Touch!). Best Transformers movie by far.
TGM is offline  
Old 12-29-18, 07:09 PM
  #29  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 38,985
Re: Bumblebee (2018, D: Travis Knight) - The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

I'm pretty bummed this seems to be flopping.
RichC2 is offline  
Old 12-29-18, 07:14 PM
  #30  
TGM
DVD Talk Legend
 
TGM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 15,683
Re: Bumblebee (2018, D: Travis Knight) - The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

oh, and Hailee Steinfeld looks just like a young Meredith Salenger.
TGM is offline  
Old 12-29-18, 08:48 PM
  #31  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Josh-da-man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: The Bible Belt
Posts: 31,012
Re: Bumblebee (2018, D: Travis Knight) - The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by TGM View Post
It was absolutely wonderful being able to make out the robots, instead of it being a clusterfuck of metallic bits fighting each other like the other movies. Nice marriage of the G1 design and some leftover stuff from Michael Bay's movies.
Yeah, the Bay designs were hideous. The Transformers all looked like magnets covered with iron filings. The G1 designs are so iconic that it was a mistake to ditch them. Iíd love to see shit like G1 Devastator and Omega Sipreme duking it out.

Josh-da-man is offline  
Old 12-29-18, 09:04 PM
  #32  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 5,365
Re: Bumblebee (2018, D: Travis Knight) - The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
I'm pretty bummed this seems to be flopping.
It fucking sucks that it's flopping, considering that its a vastly superior film to the Bay shit.

It was pretty dumb to have this go head-to-head with Aquaman, but there's also the effect of the shitty TF sequels that have turned folks off and most likely the Bay-Paramount hype machine wasn't in full swing for this one.

I'm sure the studio pricks are saying, "Look.... we gave you a film with G1 designs and it flopped".
candyrocket786 is offline  
Old 12-29-18, 09:05 PM
  #33  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
DJariya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: La Palma, CA
Posts: 55,839
Re: Bumblebee (2018, D: Travis Knight) - The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
I'm pretty bummed this seems to be flopping.
Bumblebee opens in China January 4th.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...e-date-1166537


It will make some $$$ from that audience. And it just opened in a few other foreign territories in the last 2 days.

I don't think anyone at Paramount or Hasbro thought this was going to be a massive blockbuster. It had it's work cut out for it with the competition and coming off some really critically panned last few Transformers movies.
DJariya is offline  
Old 12-30-18, 12:26 AM
  #34  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Decker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Vegas, Baby!
Posts: 43,720
Re: Bumblebee (2018, D: Travis Knight) - The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

I really liked it. Fun movie, light and entertaining. Great 80s soundtrack. Who would have thought the way to revitalize the franchise was to rip off ET mixed with a little Stranger Things? Anyway it works very well. Hope it has some legs -- it's a far superior film to Aquaman and hopefully that's the word that gets out this weekend and beyond.
Decker is online now  
Old 12-30-18, 12:49 AM
  #35  
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner
 
Alan Smithee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: USA
Posts: 8,450
Re: Bumblebee (2018, D: Travis Knight) - The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Sounds like I'd like this one a lot more than the previous Transformers movies, but will probably never get to see it since it looks like there won't be a 3D disc release- unless Asia comes through somehow. I really wanted to like the first Michael Bay Transformers movie but it was a mess, the sequels even more so.
Alan Smithee is offline  
Old 12-30-18, 12:52 AM
  #36  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Rosemount, MN
Posts: 31,456
Re: Bumblebee (2018, D: Travis Knight) - The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee View Post
Sounds like I'd like this one a lot more than the previous Transformers movies, but will probably never get to see it since it looks like there won't be a 3D disc release- unless Asia comes through somehow. I really wanted to like the first Michael Bay Transformers movie but it was a mess, the sequels even more so.
Itís better than all of those movies without question. The first 5 minutes are worth it alone. Why would you miss out on a great movie because itís not presented in a shit format like 3D?
Draven is online now  
Old 12-30-18, 01:15 AM
  #37  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
DJariya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: La Palma, CA
Posts: 55,839
Re: Bumblebee (2018, D: Travis Knight) - The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

You don't need to see this in 3D. IMO, it adds nothing to it. This movie is perfect as a 2D experience.
DJariya is offline  
Old 12-30-18, 01:50 AM
  #38  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Josh-da-man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: The Bible Belt
Posts: 31,012
Re: Bumblebee (2018, D: Travis Knight) - The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
You don't need to see this in 3D. IMO, it adds nothing to it. This movie is perfect as a 2D experience.
I find that 3D adds nothing to any movie except five dollars to the price of admission.
Josh-da-man is offline  
Old 12-30-18, 04:30 AM
  #39  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Ash Ketchum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 11,617
Re: Bumblebee (2018, D: Travis Knight) - The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by Draven View Post
Itís better than all of those movies without question. The first 5 minutes are worth it alone. Why would you miss out on a great movie because itís not presented in a shit format like 3D?
I'm with Draven on this one. When I do see BUMBLEBEE, hopefully this week, it will be at a 2-D showing.
Ash Ketchum is offline  
Old 12-30-18, 05:20 AM
  #40  
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner
 
Alan Smithee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: USA
Posts: 8,450
Re: Bumblebee (2018, D: Travis Knight) - The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

^ I assume that's because you saw it in 3D and thought it was bad?
Alan Smithee is offline  
Old 12-30-18, 06:28 AM
  #41  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Obi-Wan Jabroni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Detroit
Posts: 10,689
Re: Bumblebee (2018, D: Travis Knight) - The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Except maybe Avatar, I've absolutely never sat through a 3D movie and felt it was worth the surcharge that I paid afterward.
Obi-Wan Jabroni is offline  
Old 12-30-18, 09:35 AM
  #42  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Rosemount, MN
Posts: 31,456
Re: Bumblebee (2018, D: Travis Knight) - The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni View Post
Except maybe Avatar, I've absolutely never sat through a 3D movie and felt it was worth the surcharge that I paid afterward.
I wasnít even impressed by Avatar. There was one scene I remember with a group of soldiers st a briefing that looked exactly like a diorama, with each row completely flat and just on a different plane. Never understood the appeal of the format.
Draven is online now  
Old 12-30-18, 09:56 AM
  #43  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 5,365
Re: Bumblebee (2018, D: Travis Knight) - The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by Draven View Post
Itís better than all of those movies without question. The first 5 minutes are worth it alone. Why would you miss out on a great movie because itís not presented in a shit format like 3D?
Hell.... the first five minutes are better than anything we've seen in the previous films.
candyrocket786 is offline  
Old 12-30-18, 10:50 AM
  #44  
FM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Canal Winchester, OH
Posts: 511
Re: Bumblebee (2018, D: Travis Knight) - The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

I only saw the first Bay Transformers and checked out after motor oil was pissed on someone. If only for that Bumblebee exceeds it. I enjoyed Bumblebee very much, it has heart, humor, and terrific fight scenes where the viewer can tell what's happening.

Anyone know why Prime calls Bumblebee B-147 in the epilogue? It was 127 the whole rest of the movie.
FM is offline  
Old 12-30-18, 03:57 PM
  #45  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Ash Ketchum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 11,617
Re: Bumblebee (2018, D: Travis Knight) - The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee View Post
^ I assume that's because you saw it in 3D and thought it was bad?
No, I just don't like 3-D.
Ash Ketchum is offline  
Old 12-30-18, 08:46 PM
  #46  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
fumanstan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 55,343
Re: Bumblebee (2018, D: Travis Knight) - The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Caught a matinee this afternoon because of the good reviews, after passing on the last two Transformers movies. Overall I thought it was pretty good, although nothing particularly amazing or special. Nostalgia and it being significantly better then the previous entries help it quite a bit by default.

The plot was pretty basic, and it has the same problem as the previous Bay movies in that they spend way too much time on humans when they should be on the actual Transformers themselves. All the military/government scenes also played out like the movie embraced the cheesiness, and my friend and I will forever get a kick out of John Cena saying "there's a door in my way" so sternly and will use that in our day to day now. And I had no idea who the 2 main villains were, which was kind of disappointing given how recognizable all the other Transformers were.

Still, the nostalgia factor and the massive improvement of the design helps this movie considerably. The opening scene was great and basically what EVERY Transformers fan wanted to see back when the first movie came out and wish there was more of that. Bumblebee is entertaining and fun to follow, and his relationship with Charlie worked really well even though they play for some cheap gags once in awhile. The action scenes were solid, and much easier to follow versus the first few movies. It was also surprisingly violent in a couple instances. Both humans exploding and... poor Cliffjumper

I'm disappointed it's not doing better at the box office since i'd like to see them continue this direction, but I wonder if studio people instead think "see, it didn't work!" and we'll see a reboot instead a few years down the line. Unless something has already been announced.
fumanstan is offline  
Old 12-31-18, 05:43 PM
  #47  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Austin, TX, USA
Posts: 6,591
Re: Bumblebee (2018, D: Travis Knight) - The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
Caught a matinee this afternoon because of the good reviews, after passing on the last two Transformers movies. Overall I thought it was pretty good, although nothing particularly amazing or special. Nostalgia and it being significantly better then the previous entries help it quite a bit by default.

The plot was pretty basic, and it has the same problem as the previous Bay movies in that they spend way too much time on humans when they should be on the actual Transformers themselves. All the military/government scenes also played out like the movie embraced the cheesiness, and my friend and I will forever get a kick out of John Cena saying "there's a door in my way" so sternly and will use that in our day to day now. And I had no idea who the 2 main villains were, which was kind of disappointing given how recognizable all the other Transformers were.

Still, the nostalgia factor and the massive improvement of the design helps this movie considerably. The opening scene was great and basically what EVERY Transformers fan wanted to see back when the first movie came out and wish there was more of that. Bumblebee is entertaining and fun to follow, and his relationship with Charlie worked really well even though they play for some cheap gags once in awhile. The action scenes were solid, and much easier to follow versus the first few movies. It was also surprisingly violent in a couple instances. Both humans exploding and... poor Cliffjumper

I'm disappointed it's not doing better at the box office since i'd like to see them continue this direction, but I wonder if studio people instead think "see, it didn't work!" and we'll see a reboot instead a few years down the line. Unless something has already been announced.
I have no nostalgia for Transformers as toys, and have only seen the first movie in full.
I went to see this because of the overwhelmingly positive reviews in contrast to the previous Bay editions.

So, I couldn't disagree with you more.

To me, the opening of the movie, and the subsequent Bumblebee versus Decepticon fights were the worst parts of the movie. Just a bunch of CGI banging and clanging against each other with no logic to whether anything gets hurt or not.

For me, this was a good movie BECAUSE it spent time on the human characters and Bumblebee's ET-ish relationship with Charlie.
Count Dooku is offline  
Old 12-31-18, 05:44 PM
  #48  
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner
 
Alan Smithee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: USA
Posts: 8,450
Re: Bumblebee (2018, D: Travis Knight) - The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

I didn't mean to be rude to Ash Ketchum either, but some people select additional viewings of 3D movies on the basis of whether or not the 3D was "good" during their initial viewing, choosing the 2D version if it was bad.

I however believe that every movie only has ONE "correct" version, which is the one I want to see at a theater. Even if a movie is shot in 2D and then post-converted, the 3D conversion credits are still included in the 2D versions so I consider 3D to be the "right" one- note that this doesn't apply to movies re-issued in converted 3D later such as Titanic. In any case, theaters should not be charging extra for 3D, it's clear that they aren't making more money from that anyways as more and more people are simply refusing to pay the premium (I don't go to many movies at all in theaters myself as discussed in another thread, but for 3D titles I will either pay up for them or not see them at all). As for watching in 2D because you "don't like" 3D, I consider that the same as changing any other element of a movie because you don't like something, TV edited versions for instance. I could say that I don't like Transformers and demand a showing of this movie with all of the Transformers edited out. Or what about a version of a movie without all the shaky-cam footage when it was intentionally shot that way? When I projected Blair Witch Project people were getting motion sickness and even throwing up just because of the way that was shot- should they have made a stabilized version for those people?

And not to give that other poster additional attention, but they have been following me online for YEARS in just about every place I post and reacting like that.

Giantrobo:
Alan Smithee is offline  
Old 12-31-18, 06:00 PM
  #49  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
fumanstan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 55,343
Re: Bumblebee (2018, D: Travis Knight) - The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by Count Dooku View Post
I have no nostalgia for Transformers as toys, and have only seen the first movie in full.
I went to see this because of the overwhelmingly positive reviews in contrast to the previous Bay editions.

So, I couldn't disagree with you more.

To me, the opening of the movie, and the subsequent Bumblebee versus Decepticon fights were the worst parts of the movie. Just a bunch of CGI banging and clanging against each other with no logic to whether anything gets hurt or not.

For me, this was a good movie BECAUSE it spent time on the human characters and Bumblebee's ET-ish relationship with Charlie.
I think the difference is that the Transformers themselves are supposed to have every bit of a personality as humans do, so that's what I'm interested in seeing. In all of these movies, Bumblebee with no voice is reduced to the same "cute" antics as he interacts the world like a giant puppy, instead of acting normally. I don't want to see him as ET

The human interaction piece has a place, but as much of that time could have easily been spent making you care about the robots themselves rather then Charlie's dad, kids picking on her, or the neighbor boy.

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee View Post
I however believe that every movie only has ONE "correct" version, which is the one I want to see at a theater. Even if a movie is shot in 2D and then post-converted, the 3D conversion credits are still included in the 2D versions so I consider 3D to be the "right" one- note that this doesn't apply to movies re-issued in converted 3D later such as Titanic.
While I will always think your argument for 3D is somewhat ridiculous, this aspect of it really makes no sense to me. If anything, isn't THIS the "changing an element of the movie" aspect that you're arguing against doing by the post conversion? And using credits to justify it? It sounds more like an excuse for yourself to trumpet 3D under the fake guise of trying to uphold the integrity of the format.

Last edited by fumanstan; 12-31-18 at 06:05 PM.
fumanstan is offline  
Old 12-31-18, 06:13 PM
  #50  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Rosemount, MN
Posts: 31,456
Re: Bumblebee (2018, D: Travis Knight) - The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by FM View Post
I only saw the first Bay Transformers and checked out after motor oil was pissed on someone. If only for that Bumblebee exceeds it. I enjoyed Bumblebee very much, it has heart, humor, and terrific fight scenes where the viewer can tell what's happening.

Anyone know why Prime calls Bumblebee B-147 in the epilogue? It was 127 the whole rest of the movie.
Boy...I think thatís a mistake. Literally nothing online relating to Bumblebee and 147. 127 is everywhere.
Draven is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.