DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   The 76th Annual Golden Globe Awards -- Movie Edition (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/646057-76th-annual-golden-globe-awards-movie-edition.html)

dex14 12-06-18 07:09 AM

The 76th Annual Golden Globe Awards -- Movie Edition

Nominees will be announced this morning. I will update then.

<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/plugins/video.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2FGoldenGlobes%2Fvideos%2F757826064552475%2F&show_text =1&width=560" width="560" height="446" style="border:none;overflow:hidden" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowTransparency="true" allow="encrypted-media" allowFullScreen="true"></iframe>

“Killing Eve” leading lady Sandra Oh and “Brooklyn Nine-Nine” star Andy Samberg will co-host the ceremony, set to air Jan. 6 on NBC.

“Sandra and Andy are the perfect choices to host this world-class event,” Paul Telegdy and George Cheeks, co-chairmen, NBC Entertainment, said in a statement. “They bring wit, charm and style to a room filled with the very best of film and television. It’s sure to be another unforgettable fun-filled night.”

The duo won praise on social media for their chemistry presenting at this year’s Primetime Emmy Awards.

<iframe width="635" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/5hEDU8yLPsk" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

dex14 12-06-18 07:50 AM

Re: The 76th Annual Golden Globe Awards -- Movie Edition

Best Motion Picture – Drama
Black Panther
BlacKkKlansman
Bohemian Rhapsody
If Beale Street Could Talk
A Star Is Born

Best Motion Picture – Musical or Comedy
Crazy Rich Asians
The Favorite
Green Book
Mary Poppins Returns
Vice

Best Motion Picture – Animated
Incredibles 2
Isle of Dogs
Mirai
Ralph Breaks the Internet
Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse

Best Motion Picture – Foreign Language
Capernaum
Girl
Never Look Away
Roma
Shoplifters

Best Performance by an Actress in a Motion Picture – Drama
Glenn Close (“The Wife”)
Lady Gaga (“A Star Is Born”)
Nicole Kidman (“Destroyer”)
Melissa McCarthy (“Can You Ever Forgive Me?”)
Rosamund Pike (“A Private War”)

Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture – Drama
Bradley Cooper (“A Star Is Born”)
Willem Dafoe (“At Eternity’s Gate”)
Lucas Hedges (“Boy Erased”)
Rami Malek (“Bohemian Rhapsody”)
John David Washington (“BlacKkKlansman”)

Best Performance by an Actress in a Motion Picture – Musical or Comedy
Emily Blunt (“Mary Poppins Returns”)
Olivia Colman (“The Favourite”)
Elsie Fisher (“Eighth Grade”)
Charlize Theron (“Tully”)
Constance Wu (“Crazy Rich Asians”)

Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture – Musical or Comedy
Christian Bale (“Vice”)
Lin-Manuel Miranda (“Mary Poppins Returns”)
Viggo Mortensen (“Green Book”)
Robert Redford (“The Old Man & the Gun”)
John C. Reilly (“Stan & Ollie”)

Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role in any Motion Picture
Amy Adams (“Vice”)
Claire Foy (“First Man”)
Regina King (“If Beale Street Could Talk”)
Emma Stone (“The Favourite”)
Rachel Weisz (“The Favourite”)

Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role in any Motion Picture
Mahershala Ali (“Green Book”)
Timothee Chalamet (“Beautiful Boy”)
Adam Driver (“BlacKkKlansman”)
Richard E. Grant (“Can You Ever Forgive Me?”)
Sam Rockwell (“Vice”)

Best Director – Motion Picture
Bradley Cooper (“A Star Is Born”)
Alfonso Cuaron (“Roma”)
Peter Farrelly (“Green Book”)
Spike Lee (“BlacKkKlansman”)
Adam McKay (“Vice”)

Best Screenplay – Motion Picture
Alfonso Cuaron (“Roma”)
Deborah Davis and Tony McNamara (“The Favourite”)
Barry Jenkins (“If Beale Street Could Talk”)
Adam McKay (“Vice”)
Peter Farrelly, Nick Vallelonga, Brian Currie (“Green Book”)

Best Original Score – Motion Picture
A Quiet Place
Isle Of Dogs
Black Panther
First Man
Mary Poppins Returns

Best Original Song – Motion Picture
“All The Stars,” Black Panther
“Girl in the Movies,” Dumplin’
“Requiem For A Private War,” A Private War
Revelation, Boy Erased
“Shallow,” A Star Is Born

Decker 12-06-18 08:26 AM

Vice and Green Book are Comedies? Neither A Star is Born nor Bohemian Rhapsody are musicals? And where the hell is Sam Elliott???

TomOpus 12-06-18 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by Decker (Post 13456667)
Neither A Star is Born nor Bohemian Rhapsody are musicals?

There is a difference between a movie with music/songs in it (most movies about a band) versus a movie that uses songs as part of the narrative (Mary Poppins, Grease). I haven't seen A Star is Born but I assume from the trailer it's the former.

dex14 12-06-18 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by TomOpus (Post 13456696)
There is a difference between a movie with music/songs in it (most movies about a band) versus a movie that uses songs as part of the narrative (Mary Poppins, Grease). I haven't seen A Star is Born but I assume from the trailer it's the former.

Correct.

RichC2 12-06-18 09:03 AM

It's up to the studio to place the category, but yeah there's a difference between something like A Star is Born and say Chicago.

Mabuse 12-06-18 09:29 AM

I would argue there really isn’t.

Take Cabaret. All it’s songs are performed inside on the stage where it would be appropriate. And it is absolutely a musical.

Decker 12-06-18 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by TomOpus (Post 13456696)

Tell that to Barbra Streisand, Reese Witherspoon, Marion Cotillard, Angela Bassett, Bette Midler, Jamie Foxx, Joaquin Phoenix and Kris Kristopherson who all won Best Actor or Best Actress in a Musical or Comedy for performances that apparently weren't in Musicals?

dex14 12-06-18 10:22 AM

In my opinion, they aren't. A musical is different to me than a drama with scenes that depict music. As stated, it's up to the studio to place them in the category they feel they have the best chance of getting nominated in and winning. The categories and placement of films for the GG have always been dumb and not something worth getting hung up on.

RichC2 12-06-18 10:28 AM

Again though, it's up to the studio to decide if it wants the movie to be considered a Drama or Musical.

Mabuse 12-06-18 10:31 AM

You don’t just get to have an opinion and therefore it’s right. Answer my Cabaret challenge. All the music is performed on stage in a night club or a bar. And it is absolutely a musical.

dex14 12-06-18 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by Mabuse (Post 13456775)
You don’t just get to have an opinion and therefore it’s right. Answer my Cabaret challenge. All the music is performed on stage in a night club or a bar. And it is absolutely a musical.

Who said they did? I don't understand your "challenge". Cabaret is clearly a musical. It's a movie based on a stage musical. It isn't the same as Walk the Line, A Star is Born, etc.

fumanstan 12-06-18 10:34 AM

I never thought of A Star is Born as a musical. Given the accolades, it seems like it makes sense to position it in the Drama category anyway which is more prestigious?

Bohemian Rhapsody looks like it got a lot of love. I need to see it.

Decker 12-06-18 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by dex14 (Post 13456766)
In my opinion, they aren't. A musical is different to me than a drama with scenes that depict music. As stated, it's up to the studio to place them in the category they feel they have the best chance of getting nominated in and winning. The categories and placement of films for the GG have always been dumb and not something worth getting hung up on.

My point is that it's silly to argue that, for purposes of Golden Globe nominations, movies like A Star is Born and Bohemian Rhapsody aren't Musicals when clearly, over many decades, the HFP has considered performances where the lead sings on-screen to be a Musical performance -- even in cases like What's Love Got To Do With It, La Vie En Rose and Ray, where the actor isn't even actually doing any singing.

Why So Blu? 12-06-18 11:02 AM

Bohemian Rhapsody and Star is Born aren't musicals. Something like Moulin Rouge or any film that breaks into song as part of narrative IS a musical. Phantom of the Opera with Gerard Butler, that's a musical.

I'm just upset that Sorry to Bother You got no love.

Decker 12-06-18 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by fumanstan (Post 13456780)
I never thought of A Star is Born as a musical. Given the accolades, it seems like it makes sense to position it in the Drama category anyway which is more prestigious?

Normally you'd think so, but Bradley Cooper's two biggest challengers for the Best Actor Oscar (Viggo Mortensen and Christian Bale) are both competing in the Musical/Comedy category this year.

dex14 12-06-18 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by Decker (Post 13456811)
My point is that it's silly to argue that, for purposes of Golden Globe nominations, movies like A Star is Born and Bohemian Rhapsody aren't Musicals when clearly, over many decades, the HFP has considered performances where the lead sings on-screen to be a Musical performance -- even in cases like What's Love Got To Do With It, La Vie En Rose and Ray, where the actor isn't even actually doing any singing.

I completely agree it is silly. The HFP should reconsider the way the categories are handled. But the HFP doesn't make the decision on what category the films seek nominations, the studio does. Hence, the infamous The Martian comedy nomination. Vice and A Star is Born could've swapped categories and the winning result would probably still be the same.

fumanstan 12-06-18 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by Decker (Post 13456817)
Normally you'd think so, but Bradley Cooper's two biggest challengers for the Best Actor Oscar (Viggo Mortensen and Christian Bale) are both competing in the Musical/Comedy category this year.

I'm not sure I understand. Maybe it's because I don't follow award season that closely nor have seen the movies those two have been nominated for, but I'd still think placing A Star is Born up for Best Picture in a Drama and thereby all of it's actors falling in the same category, including Cooper and Gaga, feels a little more important and marketable then Musical/Comedy overall.

Decker 12-06-18 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by fumanstan (Post 13456829)
I'm not sure I understand. Maybe it's because I don't follow award season that closely nor have seen the movies those two have been nominated for, but I'd still think placing A Star is Born up for Best Picture in a Drama and thereby all of it's actors falling in the same category, including Cooper and Gaga, feels a little more important and marketable then Musical/Comedy overall.

I don't know if that's a hard-and-fast rule. I would suggest that two years ago La La Land had all the heat going into the Oscars after sweeping the Musical / Comedy categories more than Moonlight which won Best Drama and Supporting Actor. Despite the (eventual) final outcome of that memorable Best Picture award.

fumanstan 12-06-18 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by Decker (Post 13456871)
I don't know if that's a hard-and-fast rule. I would suggest that two years ago La La Land had all the heat going into the Oscars after sweeping the Musical / Comedy categories more than Moonlight which won Best Drama and Supporting Actor. Despite the (eventual) final outcome of that memorable Best Picture award.

Oh sure, I don't mean to diminish the other categories or the performances for those in them. I think as a more casual viewer I'd assume if a movie could fit in either category, the Comedy/Musical seem more lighthearted fare with a different connotation or expectation compared to Drama. Might be slightly outdated thinking, but just what comes to my mind.

Decker 12-06-18 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by dex14 (Post 13456825)
I completely agree it is silly. The HFP should reconsider the way the categories are handled. But the HFP doesn't make the decision on what category the films seek nominations, the studio does. Hence, the infamous The Martian comedy nomination. Vice and A Star is Born could've swapped categories and the winning result would probably still be the same.

Actually, that isn't the case any more -- specifically because of The Martian. They now have clear definitions of their categories (for what that's worth)

Category definitions:
1. Musical:
a. A comedy or a drama in which songs are used in addition to spoken dialogue to further
the plot.
2. Drama and Comedy:
a. Motion pictures shall be entered in the category that best matches the overall tone and content of the motion picture. Thus, for example, dramas with comedic overtones should be entered as dramas.

By those definitions, clearly A Star is Born and Bohemian Rhapsody are Musicals and Green Book is a Drama. I assume so is Vice but I haven't seen it yet of course.

dex14 12-06-18 01:08 PM

Which is why the whole category thing is maddening. They don't follow their own rules.

Yea, Green Book being put into the Comedy is clearly to give it the better chance.

Mabuse 12-06-18 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by dex14 (Post 13456778)
Who said they did? I don't understand your "challenge". Cabaret is clearly a musical. It's a movie based on a stage musical. It isn't the same as Walk the Line, A Star is Born, etc.

Cabaret and A Star is Born are exactly the same. Both films are about musicians and the music is integrated into the film by the musicians performing on stage. Both are musicals.

TomOpus 12-06-18 02:12 PM

Which song in Bohemian Rhapsody was sung and used IN ADDITION to dialogue to further the plot? They sang existing songs. Was there a song about creating the group? Freddie out on a date?

Mabuse 12-06-18 02:15 PM

I don't know, haven't seen it.