Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

2019 Oscar Pre-award show discussion, nominees, etc.

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

2019 Oscar Pre-award show discussion, nominees, etc.

Old 02-16-19, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts
Re: 2019 Oscar Pre-award show discussion, nominees, etc.

Originally Posted by Decker
Wow, I hadn't heard that. So that's at least three major decisions (Kevin Hart, Popular Movie Oscar, off-air technical awards) that they have reversed this year due to public criticism. Somebody is really cluster fucking this Oscar telecast big time.
And then there was the push to only have two musical performances, it's now up to 4. Though that was more Lady Gaga's doing than the public criticism.
Old 02-16-19, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,032 Likes on 4,117 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
And then there was the push to only have two musical performances, it's now up to 4. Though that was more Lady Gaga's doing than the public criticism.
You're right, it is four. I forgot that one.

You know why they're suddenly so desperate to trim the telecast down? Because for the first time, they're using the Oscars like every network uses the Super Bowl -- they are going to launch a new TV program right after it ends and don't want people turning off the TV. It's something that doesn't make a lick of sense to me -- even if it was able to come in at a tight 3 hrs (which it never would), that TV show wouldn't air until 11 PM ET; the Super Bowl ends around 10. If they really want to trim the telecast, well not having a host will help. The show will be far less memorable, but at least that can make it quicker. If they eliminate the stupid, much-loathed montages and tributes to WHY WE LOVE THE MOVIES, that will help more. A template can be the Golden Globes which hands out 25 awards, all televised, (and now two honorary awards) and still always comes in at 3 hours long. The Oscars have 24 awards and five songs to perform. Without a host 3 hrs should be do-able. 3:15 certainly should be.
Old 02-18-19, 07:25 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 112 Likes on 88 Posts

This year is probably the most spread out in terms of Guild Winners

DGA-Roma
PGA-Green Book
Sag Ensemble-Black Panther
WGA/Writers-*Eight Grade(Orginal)/ Can You Ever Forgive Me?(Adapted)*
Visual Effects-Avengers Infinity Wars*
Cinematography Guild-Cold War*
Film Editors-Bohemian Rhapsody(Drama)/The Favorite(Comedy)
Art Directors Guild-*Crazy Rich Asians(Contemporary),Black Panther(Fantasy),The Favorite(Period)

*Not a best picture nominee

Roma's the defacto favorite but a very soft one. Green Book and Roma(*The Favorite was WGA ineligable and might have won there) losing to 2 non best picture nominee's at WGA make's me think The Favorite is an underrated darkhorse. The prefferential voting system may allow The Favorite to win if it just places a respectable top 3 in 1st place votes as the Green Book controversy and Roma being a non english language arthouse film will push those films at the bottom of many ballots.
Old 02-19-19, 01:21 PM

Received 4,516 Likes on 3,064 Posts

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/pI3T87CXM04" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 02-21-19, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

If Roma wins Best Picture (and assuming it gets Directing, Cinematography, and Foreign-Language Film), I believe Alfonso Cuarón would set a new record for the most Oscars won by an individual for one film. I was doing some research and couldn't find anyone with 4. Naturally my first thought was to look for an actor who directed him/herself, but nobody has ever won both an acting and a directing Oscar, let alone for the same film. However, there have been cases of a director writing his own screenplay and producing the film, with Oscar wins for all 3 categories - Billy Wilder (The Apartment), Francis Ford Coppola (Godfather Part II) and James L. Brooks (Terms of Endearment). The Coen brothers had another Picture-Director-Screenplay sweep for No Country for Old Men and could have done it since they were nominated in the Editing category. But they (well, Roderick Jaynes) lost to The Bourne Ultimatum there.
Old 02-21-19, 07:03 PM

^ You forgot that Curon is also nominated for Best Original Screenplay for Roma. He could win 5.

Edit : No, he can only win 4. That's because the Best Foreign Language Oscar goes to a country, not a director or producer (which is kinda weird).
Unlike other Academy Awards, the Best Foreign Language Film Award is not presented to a specific individual. It is accepted by the winning film's director, but is considered an award for the submitting country as a whole.
Old 02-21-19, 07:15 PM

BTW : Curon has also already won Oscars for Directing and Editing Gravity.

If he wins out he would have won for Directing, Producing, Writing, Editing, and Cinematography. That would probably be a feat no other filmmaker will ever achieve.
Old 02-22-19, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 526 Likes on 329 Posts

I haven't seen any of the nominated films (I do have the BD of A Star Is Born) but I am rooting for Black Panther to win BP and Malek to win best actor for the online meltdowns. I won't be watching the telecast but I will have twitter open.
Old 02-22-19, 10:12 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 888 Likes on 751 Posts

So if you’re in an Oscar pool this weekend, do you go with what you want to win or odds on what will win?
Old 02-23-19, 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by OldBoy
So if you’re in an Oscar pool this weekend, do you go with what you want to win or odds on what will win?
The four acting Oscars and Director are pretty well set in stone. Best bet is to pick something other than Roma for BP and maybe something semi-adventurous in the screenplay categories. Roma is the clear BP front-runner but it feels like a really soft one. If there will be an upset to be had, it's there.
Old 02-23-19, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by Decker
The four acting Oscars and Director are pretty well set in stone. Best bet is to pick something other than Roma for BP and maybe something semi-adventurous in the screenplay categories. Roma is the clear BP front-runner but it feels like a really soft one. If there will be an upset to be had, it's there.
i dunno. i think Roma is pretty sure thing with Cuaron winning Director as well...
Old 02-23-19, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts

I think BP is a toss up with Green Book, Favourite and Roma vying for the title.

Green Book has had its controversy, Favourite may be too soapy/trashy and Roma may be too art house (+ Netflix).
Old 02-23-19, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,160 Likes on 2,036 Posts

If Bryan Singer wasn’t involved with Bohemian Rhapsody I would think it had a decent chance at BP (despite the lukewarm reaction to it) but there no chance it’s going to win with Singer as director.

It’ll also be ironic if a black and white, foreign language movie wins Bet Picture in the same year where much of the attention went to an extremely popular comic book movie being nominated.
Old 02-23-19, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
i dunno. i think Roma is pretty sure thing with Cuaron winning Director as well...
Well, there have been Directing/Picture splits in 4 of the last 6 years. Moonlight, Spotlight, 12 Years a Slave, and Argo did not win for Directing (Argo wasn't even nominated).

It used to be a good bet that both awards went to the same film, but apparently something has changed.
Old 02-23-19, 03:41 PM

This year especially the Academy can reward Curon for his artistry and still give the BP award to something more commercially appealing While there is still a decent likelihood that Roma wins both, I do think there is an anti-Netflix bias that might make some industry members rank it #8 in the voting and submarine its chances even if it ends up with the most First Place votes
Old 02-24-19, 04:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 699 Likes on 570 Posts

Roma might win but more people will remember A Star is Born and most likely watch that movie again over and over again. or buy it on DVD or Blu-ray.

Roma will join the Artist as one of those movies most people will forget.
Old 02-24-19, 04:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 211 Likes on 160 Posts

I never understood why the don't give the awards, like for sound, editing, costume design and things like that on a Friday or Saturday, and have the major awards on Oscar Sunday. That would free up some time and help the show not drag on forever like it has down in year's past. And be sure to tell everyone if you start on a political rant, the band will start playing and you will be asked to leave the stage.
Old 02-24-19, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
Roma might win but more people will remember A Star is Born and most likely watch that movie again over and over again. or buy it on DVD or Blu-ray.

Roma will join the Artist as one of those movies most people will forget.

The Artist
was much more memorable than Roma imo. The Artist I loved, Roma, i couldn't even make it through...
Old 02-24-19, 01:36 PM

Received 4,516 Likes on 3,064 Posts

Originally Posted by Sonny Corinthos
I never understood why the don't give the awards, like for sound, editing, costume design and things like that on a Friday or Saturday, and have the major awards on Oscar Sunday. That would free up some time and help the show not drag on forever like it has down in year's past. And be sure to tell everyone if you start on a political rant, the band will start playing and you will be asked to leave the stage.
It’s amazing to me that those awards weren’t the ones selected to be presented during commercials over cinematography and editing.
Old 02-24-19, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by dex14

It’s amazing to me that those awards weren’t the ones selected to be presented during commercials over cinematography and editing.
The plan was to alternate the awards not shown on TV to not "Ghetto - ize" certain technical categories
The easy fix, and one that I'm still amazed that they don't implement is to award the Live Action Animated and Documentary Shorts Oscars before the start of the live telecast but broadcast live on the hour long Red Carpet pre-show. That would cut 15-20 minutes from the telecast and still have every feature length award during the actual telecast. And those Short winners will still be on TV.
Old 02-24-19, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 526 Likes on 329 Posts

Has Jennifer Lawrence fallen down yet?