Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

2019 Oscar Pre-award show discussion, nominees, etc.

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

2019 Oscar Pre-award show discussion, nominees, etc.

Old 01-25-19, 10:39 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Re: 2019 Oscar Pre-award show discussion, nominees, etc.

Originally Posted by EddieMoney
What a sorry list of nominees this year. No love for First Reformed, Blindspotting, Eighth Grade, You Were Never Really Here?? What the fucking fuck?
The Oscars have gone back to snubbing indie fare in the hopes of boosting ratings for the broadcast. Yet they still think it's a good idea to dedicate prime time space to categories nobody cares about. "Oh look, another documentary short about the Holocaust won this year. And somehow this guy is giving the longest speech of the night!"
Old 01-25-19, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You have a point.
Old 01-25-19, 11:51 AM

Received 4,557 Likes on 3,092 Posts

Only two of this year’s five Oscar-nominated songs may be performed live on the Academy Awards show Feb. 24, Variety has learned.

Multiple sources tell Variety that the two biggest chart hits — Kendrick Lamar and SZA’s “All the Stars” from “Black Panther” and Lady Gaga’s “Shallow” from “A Star Is Born” — are the two chosen by Academy execs and show producers for performance on the telecast.

The other three — “The Place Where Lost Things Go” from “Mary Poppins Returns,” “I’ll Fight” from “RBG” and “When a Cowboy Trades His Spurs for Wings” from “The Ballad of Buster Scruggs” — would likely be acknowledged only during the announcement of the song nominees. Rumors of their exclusion is already causing consternation among members of the music branch as well as among those nominees’ respective camps.

The Academy declined specific comment except to say that no decision on song performances has been made yet.

A source with knowledge of the Academy’s thinking says cutting songs is less a knock on the nominees than something long discussed as part of this year’s mandate to limit the show to three hours. The Academy has hinted that several Oscars (for so-called “craft” categories such as sound editing and sound mixing) will be presented during commercials, an already controversial move.

Both the “Black Panther” and “Star Is Born” soundtrack albums are on the Interscope label and, should this plan become reality, it could be perceived as favoritism toward one record company, although the two films are from different studios and the decision likely comes down to the songs’ massive popularity dwarfing the rest of the field.

The three numbers that look to be left in the lurch all bring name recognition that makes the move to exclude even a medley of performances somewhat surprising — most obviously in the case of Emily Blunt, who sang her “Poppins” song on-screen in a key moment, and Jennifer Hudson, a previous Oscar winner, who sang the theme for “RBG.” With the “Buster Scruggs” song, producers might have had the choice of going with the actors who sang it on screen, Tim Blake Nelson and Willie Watson, or its writers, Gillian Welch and David Rawlings, who are amphitheater headliners in their own right who have performed the tune in their concerts.

As rumors about the move have spread, music-business observers, for the most part, have quietly condemned the move as unfair and misleading. Oscars for Best Song are awarded not on the basis of commercial success but rather based on their dramatic use within a cinematic context.

Performing all of the nominated songs is an Academy tradition and, when producers break from that practice, criticism is inevitable. All of the nominated songs have been performed in six of the past 10 Oscarcasts, including all of the last three.

But there is precedent for producers making a judgment call about how many to include. None of the nominated songs were performed in the 2010 and 2012 broadcasts, and just three of the five nominees were performed in 2013 and 2016. Last year, word circulated early on that Sufjan Stevens’ nominated song was slated to be cut from the telecast, although after considerable feedback, it was ultimately included as part of a medley.
https://variety.com/2019/music/news/...ut-1203117143/
Old 01-25-19, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,299 Likes on 943 Posts

I understand trying to shorten the show. But either do all the songs or do none of them. Or even a 2-minute medley would work.
Old 01-25-19, 03:06 PM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
The Spirit Awards are more on point than the Oscars this year in regards to noms (sans no love for BkK), IMO:
https://www.filmindependent.org/spirit-awards/nominees/
Those are definitely much better. It's too bad thought that they gave such little love to BkK, which was phenomenal.
Old 01-26-19, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts

After watching BKK again last night, I really hope Spike Lee wins Best Director. Cuaron did a great job with Roma, too, but I kind of feel he has his Oscar already. While I used to be against the idea of Oscars as "career achievement" awards, I do think the best director award kind of ends up becoming that sometimes, and frankly, Lee is deserving. It helps too that I'd put BKK in his top 5 films easily.

Also, there's never been a black Best Director winner which is kind of shocking in 2019, and I would pay cash money to hear Lee's speech if he wins.
Old 01-26-19, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by The Antipodean

Also, there's never been a black Best Director winner which is kind of shocking in 2019, and I would pay cash money to hear Lee's speech if he wins.
I would pay money NOT to hear his victory speech...
Old 01-27-19, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,020 Likes on 811 Posts

SAG Awards were tonight, Black Panther won best ensemble (best picture), Rami Malek won best actor, Glenn Close best actress, Ali for Supporting Actor (Green Book), Emily Blunt for best supporting actress (A Quiet Place)
Old 01-27-19, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,190 Likes on 916 Posts

Well, Rami is a shoe-in for Best Actor Oscar now.
Old 01-28-19, 06:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus
I understand trying to shorten the show. But either do all the songs or do none of them. Or even a 2-minute medley would work.
Just let Lady Gaga sing "Shallow" - it's by far the best song, everyone will tune in to hear her perform it, and we ALL know it's going to win.
Old 01-28-19, 06:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Well, Rami is a shoe-in for Best Actor Oscar now.
I still think Bale has a good shot. Best Actor is still one of the categories where the entire branch gets to vote for the winner, so just because the actors voted for Rami, it doesn't necessarily mean he'll win the Oscar.

Denzel won the SAG a couple years back but then lost to Casey Affleck, even despite all the Affleck backlash that year. I won't be shocked if Rami wins, but I think a lot of voters will go with Bale just because he's "been around longer" and VICE is a great performance in a good movie, while BR is a great performance in a so-so movie. We'll see.

Old 02-03-19, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 715 Likes on 585 Posts

First Man got no nominations?

It looked like it had the Oscar pedigree of a movie based on a historical person and Damien Chazelle (La La land) directing.
Old 02-03-19, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,189 Likes on 2,057 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
First Man got no nominations?

It looked like it had the Oscar pedigree of a movie based on a historical person and Damien Chazelle (La La land) directing.
It got 4 nominations (Visual effects, production design, sound mixing, sound editing) just none of the big noms.

Which is is a shame cause I ranked it as the best film of 2018.
Old 02-03-19, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I think I said it earlier in this thread but shortening the show should be a priority but it’s all the added garbage they throw in that needs to be cut first. I have no problem with all the best song nominations being allowed to perform in full as long as they remove excess crap like dragging the celebs across the street to a movie theater (filled with people who obviously had no interest in the Oscars to begin with or they would have been home watching) or ridiculous ego stroking of producers (fawning over Chicago the entire show when it hasn’t been relevant for 10 years), etc.
Old 02-05-19, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 415 Likes on 300 Posts

There will be no Oscar host this year.
https://www.foxnews.com/entertainmen...publicist-says
Old 02-05-19, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial
There will be no Oscar host this year.
https://www.foxnews.com/entertainmen...publicist-says
With the possible exception of an awkward opening, does it matter? The host is pretty useless after the first 10 minutes anyway.
Old 02-06-19, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 310 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ

With the possible exception of an awkward opening, does it matter? The host is pretty useless after the first 10 minutes anyway.
Agreed. The only other time the host might matter is to bring some explanation and levity if something goes wrong, like Kimmel did with the Best Picture fiasco.
Old 02-11-19, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The Oscars will give out these four awards off-air this year

LOS ANGELES (AP) — The film academy has finally revealed the Oscar categories that will be presented during the commercial breaks of this year's broadcast.

A spokesperson for the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences said Monday that the awards for cinematography, film editing, makeup and hairstyling and live-action short will be presented off-air.

The winning speeches will air later in the broadcast and will also be live-streamed on Oscar.com and the film academy's social accounts.

The plan to hand out certain awards during commercials to achieve a three-hour runtime was announced in August. In future years, four to six rotating categories could be cut from the broadcast.
At least Roger Deakins got his on-air just in time.
Old 02-11-19, 10:44 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Not sure how Documentary Short made the cut?
Old 02-12-19, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,170 Likes on 4,200 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
Not sure how Documentary Short made the cut?
It's rotating. Next year it will be one that won't be on the air. And Cinematography (you know, the art of...making movies) will be.
Old 02-12-19, 12:17 AM

BTW The BAFTAs were this weekend. BP went to Roma, cementing its status as the de-facto favorite. Olivia Coleman won for The Favourite, but that was probably more home-field advantage. Rami Malek won again, making him clearly the front-runner, but not yet quite a shoo-in (and yes it's shoo-in as in "shoo - you come through the door now" not "here, try this shoe on"). Mahershela won again for Green Book - he's a slam dunk obviously and Rachel Weisz won for The Favourite - her first major win, and like the SAG Awards, Regina King wasn't nominated here.
Old 02-12-19, 06:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

What a shock - the four categories NOT being aired are four categories Disney (who, of course, owns ABC) is NOT nominated in.

But seriously - Editing and Cinematography are two of the most important filmmaking awards and they're NOT showing these? The Academy has completely jumped the shark. Now movie fans will join casual fans in not watching. What a clusterf**k of a show this has turned into.
Old 02-12-19, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 443 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
But seriously - Editing and Cinematography are two of the most important filmmaking awards and they're NOT showing these? The Academy has completely jumped the shark. Now movie fans will join casual fans in not watching. What a clusterf**k of a show this has turned into.
I agree

Thank God I don't watch the Oscars anymore...the "do anything" for ratings has gotten way out of control.

Old 02-15-19, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

If you haven't heard, they've reversed their decision, due to the push back.
Old 02-15-19, 11:43 PM

If you haven't heard, they've reversed their decision, due to the push back.
Wow, I hadn't heard that. So that's at least three major decisions (Kevin Hart, Popular Movie Oscar, off-air technical awards) that they have reversed this year due to public criticism. Somebody is really cluster fucking this Oscar telecast big time.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.