Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

2019 Oscar Pre-award show discussion, nominees, etc.

Old 12-07-18, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Re: 2019 Oscar Pre-award show discussion, nominees, etc.

Originally Posted by raven56706 View Post
wasnt a tweet but a comedy routine
You sure?

Here are the homophobic tweets Kevin Hartís not sorry for
Old 12-07-18, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I love how everyone thinks it's hard to find someone who hasn't been racist or homophobic in the past. Pretty sad state of affairs, isn't it?

Besides, the Academy Awards don't need a host. That would solve the time problem right there.
Old 12-07-18, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Giantrobo View Post
his routine was in 2010 and tweets 2011.

oh whatever

this PC shit is dumb
Old 12-07-18, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

his routine was in 2010 and tweets 2011.

oh whatever

this PC shit is dumb
Fair enough. But the Tweets are the focus now.
Old 12-07-18, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by coli View Post
I say they bring Gallagher out of retirement as nobody has ever been offended by him! He can smash Watermelons after each Award to keep it interesting!
Guess again: https://www.thestranger.com/seattle/...nt?oid=4357855
Old 12-07-18, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

If you've ever worked with Karen Gillan, check your old tweets.
Old 12-07-18, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

How about a game show host like Alex Trebek or Pat Sajak? Or that Alexa from Amazon? It think they would all pass the sniff test.
Old 12-07-18, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by windom View Post
If you've ever worked with Karen Gillan, check your old tweets.
Don't need to. Because I've never posted racist, sexist or homophobic things. Shocking, I know.
Old 12-07-18, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Draven View Post
Don't need to. Because I've never posted racist, sexist or homophobic things. Shocking, I know.
People like you and I are clearly the minority these days.
Old 12-07-18, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by Noonan View Post
People like you and I are clearly the minority these days.
You've worked with Karen Gillan!?!
Old 12-07-18, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll

I love how everyone thinks it's hard to find someone who hasn't been racist or homophobic in the past. Pretty sad state of affairs, isn't it?

Besides, the Academy Awards don't need a host. That would solve the time problem right there.
The job of a comedian is to make people laugh. Laughter can come out of some pretty strange places. As itís often said comedy is tragedy plus time. Some comedians go to some darker places for material. The making of a racist or sexist joke doesnít make you racist or sexist.
Old 12-07-18, 04:05 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

I'm really surprised that Hart still had those tweets up, especially after the Gunn incident. I would have thought these celebs would have publicity teams be going through their old stuff and scrubbing anything that didn't age well.
Old 12-07-18, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
The job of a comedian is to make people laugh. Laughter can come out of some pretty strange places. As itís often said comedy is tragedy plus time. Some comedians go to some darker places for material. The making of a racist or sexist joke doesnít make you racist or sexist.
Mmmm, weeeeell. Yes and no. I'll bet if i sat down with Kevin Hart his views on LGBT would be problematic. I say that because many Black Stand Ups have this problem...
Old 12-07-18, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
The job of a comedian is to make people laugh. Laughter can come out of some pretty strange places. As it’s often said comedy is tragedy plus time. Some comedians go to some darker places for material. The making of a racist or sexist joke doesn’t make you racist or sexist.
Kevin Hart saying someone looks like a *** is comedy? Tell me more, humor master!
Old 12-07-18, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Honestly, just get Ricki Gervias and call it a day. It would be the most watched Oscars.
That would be cool but I think Academy does not want his humor for their show?

Hugh Jackman would be a good choice.

Kate McKinnon and Kumail Nanjiani did a good job hosting the Spirit awards and that would appease the gay and minority demographic.

Old 12-07-18, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I donít use twitter so thatís not a problem but Iím sure Iíve posted a ďfunnyĒ comment right here in DVDTalk at some point in my 18 years here that would probably get me in trouble if I ever became famous.

I remember that red sweater guy who asked a question during the 2016 presidential debates caught a lot of heat for posts he made on reddit or something.

Tl;dr: if you dig deep enough and are easily offended Iím sure weíre all fucked.
Old 12-08-18, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Franchot View Post
How about a game show host like Alex Trebek or Pat Sajak? Or that Alexa from Amazon? It think they would all pass the sniff test.

The traditional opening monologue, according to sources, will just be a track dubbed "Amazon Rainforest." Oscars attendees will be soothed by the sounds of rain falling in a lush rainforest as pictures of idyllic locations will be played on a screen. Stagehands will be ready to charge onstage and tackle the boom box, should anyone become upset by its tranquil sounds.
Old 12-08-18, 05:38 PM

It's always nice to read about a group that preaches against intolerance, yet will not tolerate anyone with a different opinion.
Old 12-08-18, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Max Bottomtime View Post
It's always nice to read about a group that preaches against intolerance, yet will not tolerate anyone with a different opinion.
Which group are you referring to? The Academy or DVD Talk?
Old 12-08-18, 09:55 PM

LGBT and the Academy.
Old 12-09-18, 08:20 AM

Here is Kevin's Hart Tweet that sparked the outrage:

"Yo if my son comes home & try's 2 play with my daughters doll house I'm going 2 break it over his head & say in my voice stop being gay."

What I have to laugh about the PC police and the all of the people who want Hart gone from the Oscars, how come NOBODY is outraged that he was going to physically abuse his son by breaking the doll over his head, as the 'stop being gay' was the deal breaker?

I don't think anyone in society tolerates physical violence against children, yet I have yet to hear one of the outraged people complain about that, as it was the gay stuff instead. Or did they think that Kevin Hart was joking about breaking the doll over his son's head cause he's a comic? If so, then why wouldn't think the whole tweet is a joke cause he's a comic?
Old 12-09-18, 10:38 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Max Bottomtime View Post
LGBT and the Academy.

Why exactly should the LGBT community, and by extension the Academy, be tolerant of someone who jokes about beating his kid to keep him from being gay? Tolerance of hateful rhetoric isn't required.

"Yo if my son comes home & try's 2 play with my daughters doll house I'm going 2 break it over his head & say in my voice stop being gay."

What I have to laugh about the PC police and the all of the people who want Hart gone from the Oscars, how come NOBODY is outraged that he was going to physically abuse his son by breaking the doll over his head, as the 'stop being gay' was the deal breaker?
You're delusional.
It was the threat of violence for being gay that is objectionable. Do you get this? Many gay folks who have been murdered or beaten up for being gay... those kinds of words are the things they hear as it happens. Imagine it.
But keep playing word games to point your finger at the "PC" boogeymen.
Old 12-09-18, 11:29 AM

So why were there no complaints when Kevin Hart was hired for 100 other movies and as the host of CBS game show over the past few years?
Old 12-09-18, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't think anyone in society tolerates physical violence against children, yet I have yet to hear one of the outraged people complain about that, as it was the gay stuff instead. Or did they think that Kevin Hart was joking about breaking the doll over his son's head cause he's a comic? If so, then why wouldn't think the whole tweet is a joke cause he's a comic?
Wasnít just one:

And all of these:

So which ones are just because heís a comedian again?
Old 12-09-18, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by Dan View Post

You're delusional.
It was the threat of violence for being gay that is objectionable. Do you get this? Many gay folks who have been murdered or beaten up for being gay... those kinds of words are the things they hear as it happens. Imagine it.
But keep playing word games to point your finger at the "PC" boogeymen.
Again, you're missing my point. Why aren't people calling for him to step down as Oscar Host for threatening violence against his son for whatever reason he had? I don't care if he thought his son was gay, if his son stole a piece of gum from 7-11 or his son lost his Iphone? Nobody was talking about that violence part, everyone was talking about how they were homophobic tweets and the debate was more about, has he changed? I turned on talk shows and it was about can someone be homophobic 10 years ago and change those views today?

I would want to know if he threatened his kid for anything else he did? Does he condone violence on his kid just like that tweet? Remember the whole Adrian Pederson debacle with his son a few years ago? Is it a culture thing? Nope, the only thing I saw being discussed was whether a homophobe or a person who used to be a homophobe should be the Oscar host. I honestly find the violence against his son more disturbing because I'm sure it's not isolated to him possibly being gay.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.