Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Disney's Cruella (2021, D: Gillespie) S: Emma Stone

Old 12-04-18, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Disney's Cruella (2021, D: Gillespie) S: Emma Stone

EXCLUSIVE: I, Tonya‘s Craig Gillespie is in talks at Disney to direct the live-action Cruella, with Emma Stone playing the woman who covets the furs of the 101 Dalmation pups needed to give her the perfect coat, sources said.
https://deadline.com/2018/12/emma-st...on-1202514016/
Old 12-04-18, 07:00 PM

re: Disney's Cruella (2021, D: Gillespie) S: Emma Stone

Stone has been attached to this for a while. I think she would be great in the role.
Old 12-04-18, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So wait, is this actually an adaptation of 101 Dalmatians with a different name or a separate film just focusing on Cruella De Vil?
Old 12-04-18, 07:45 PM

live-action re-imagining of the villain’s tale from the children’s classic 101 Dalmatians.
So maybe like Maleficent?
Old 12-05-18, 09:39 AM

Stone will play infamous villain Cruella De Vil in what is being billed as an origin story, set in the early 1980s with a punk vibe.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...source=twitter
Old 12-05-18, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Punk vibe? I would prefer a new wave vibe.
Old 12-05-18, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll

Live action 101 Dalmatians has already been done
Spoiler:

With this property and Jungle Book Disney is like on their third iteration. Just pathetic.
Old 12-05-18, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

This just sounds like a weird premise. I like Emma Stone and 101 Dalmatians, but I see no need for a Cruella origin type movie.
Old 03-08-19, 02:03 PM

EXCLUSIVE: Nicole Kidman Headlines A Shortlist For A Role In Disney’s ‘CRUELLA,’ Getting A Script Rewrite From ‘The Favorite’s’ Tony McNamar

Disney recently just revealed a new poster and title for their Maleficent sequel. The studio is in active development on another big screen adaptation of a classic Disney villain Cruella, starring Emma Stone, and we have some casting updates to share.

We have learned that the house of mouse is interested in Nicole Kidman for the role of the “Baroness,” who is described as an antagonist to Cruella and is pivotal to her rise as the classic Disney villain.

We can also share that Emma Thompson, Charlize Theron, Juliane Moore, and Demi Moore, are also on Disney’s radar for the role.

As of now, the script is still being worked but the studio is ready to get this production ready for a July/August start. I, Tonya director, Craig Gillespie replaced long-attached Alex Timbers as director of the film. Timbers ran into scheduling issues so had to leave the project. The Favorite screenwriter Tony McNamara has been brought on to rewrite the script.

Here is a mini-synopsis on the film.

Estella (Cruella De Vil) lives on the streets of 1970’s London with other hoodlums, where we learn the real origins behind Estella’s hatred of Dalmatians. Production on the film is expected to begin at the end of the year but as of right now, there is no release date set for Cruella.

The studio was hoping to lock down a 2020 release it has not been confirmed if that has changed as of yet.
EXCLUSIVE: Nicole Kidman Headlines A Shortlist For A Role In Disney's 'CRUELLA,' Getting A Script Rewrite From 'The Favorite's' Tony McNamara - That Hashtag Show
Old 05-15-19, 09:35 AM

Emma Thompson is in early talks to star opposite Emma Stone in the Disney’s “Cruella,” a live-action origin story based on the classic “101 Dalmatians” villain Cruella de Vil.

“I, Tonya” director Craig Gillespie is helming the film with Marc Platt, Kristin Burr and Andrew Gunn producing.

De Vil, who will be played by Stone in the new pic, is the villain who was obsessed with capturing the puppies in the 1961 animated classic “101 Dalmatians.” Glenn Close played the baddie in the 1996 live-action film produced by John Hughes, in which her character was also the head of a fashion house.

It’s currently unknown where this movie will pick up in de Vil’s timeline, as is the role Thompson would be playing.

Tony McNamara penned the most recent version of the script with Dana Fox writing a previous draft. Disney recently announced the film would be released on Dec. 23, 2020, signaling the project’s pre-production.

This wouldn’t be the first time that Thompson’s taken a role in one of Disney’s live-action adaptations. She previously played Mrs. Potts in 2017 box office smash “Beauty and the Beast,” and also played “Mary Poppins” author P.L. Travers in “Saving Mr. Banks” alongside Tom Hanks.

Thompson has a busy summer ahead of her with Amazon Studios comedy “Late Night” and “Men in Black: International,” both of which bow on June 7. She is repped by CAA and Hamilton Hodell.
https://variety.com/2019/film/news/e...ey-1203215057/
Old 07-29-19, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

'BlackKkKlansman' Actor Paul Walter Hauser Joining Emma Stone in 'Cruella'
JULY 29, 2019 1:43PM by Mia Galuppo

Paul Walter Hauser is heading for Disney's Cruella.

The movie will see the actor reteam with I, Tonya director Craig Gillespie, who is helming the live-action take on the 1961 animated classic 101 Dalmatians.

Cruella is being described as an origin story for the classic villain, to be played by Emma Stone, and will be set in the early 1980s with a punk vibe. Emma Thompson is also starring in the movie, which is set for a Dec. 23, 2020, release.

Hauser will be playing a character named Horace.

Cruella's most recent script comes from Tony McNamara. Andrew Gunn is producing the pic with Marc Platt. Kristin Burr is also producing.

Hauser, who is repped by CAA, Artists First and Schreck Rose, starred in Spike Lee’s BlacKkKlansman and will reteam with the director on his Netflix movie Da 5 Bloods. He is currently shooting the leading role in Clint Eastwood's Richard Jewell movie.
Old 08-25-19, 06:51 AM

Re: Disney's Cruella (2021, D: Gillespie) S: Emma Stone

Old 08-25-19, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Good casting, ES could knock this one out of the park.
Old 08-25-19, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

1970s London...this should, hopefully, have a good soundtrack.
Old 08-25-19, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I love Emma Stone so I’m giving the movie the benefit of the doubt but that picture looks like Tim Burton’s Cruella De Vil.

If it was anyone other than Stone in this I’d give it a hard pass.