DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings (2021, D: Destin Daniel Cretton) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/646026-shang-chi-legend-ten-rings-2021-d-destin-daniel-cretton.html)

DJariya 12-03-18 01:36 PM

Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings (2021, D: Destin Daniel Cretton)

https://deadline.com/2018/12/shang-c...er-1202512660/

https://media.comicbook.com/2018/12/...d-1148201.jpeg

EXCLUSIVE: Marvel Studios is fast-tracking Shang-Chi to be its first superhero movie tentpole franchise with an Asian protagonist. The studio has set Chinese-American scribe Dave Callaham to write the screenplay, and Deadline hears Marvel is already looking at a number of Asian and Asian-American directors who want to do something as potentially monumental as was accomplished in Marvel’s first viable Best Picture candidate, Black Panther. That film tied into African and African American cultures and the sensibilities of its nearly all-black cast, with a black director in Ryan Coogler and writer in Joe Robert Cole. The goal here is to do a similar thing: introduce a new hero who blends Asian and Asian American themes, crafted by Asian and Asian American filmmakers.

After Marvel Studios’ unparalleled decade of success following Iron Man, many have wondered how Kevin Feige’s next iterations of superhero franchises will distinguish themselves. Clearly an important theme will be ethnic diversity and inclusion, in front of and behind the camera.

Callaham has strong credentials in the superhero and franchise-building realms and his own experiences as a Chinese-American will inform the Shang-Chi movie mythology, sources said. His recent work includes co-writing with Patty Jenkins and Geoff Johns the upcoming DC Warner Bros sequel Wonder Woman 1984, and he is writing Sony’s animated Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse 2. He also wrote initial drafts of Zombieland 2, which begins production in January, and created and produced Amazon’s recent action comedy series Jean-Claude Van Johnson, starring Jean- Claude Van Damme. Callaham also created the Expendables franchise as well as the story for the Legendary’s Godzilla reboot.

He’s got two comedies at Netflix: Callaham wrote the Black List-ed dark comedy caper script Jackpot, which Will Gluck will direct; and he wrote and is producing with Channing Tatum, Phil Lord & Christopher Miller, and Archer’s Adam Reed and Matt Thompson, the animated comedy America: The Motion Picture. Thompson is directing.

Shang-Chi first appeared in Special Marvel Edition #15 in December 1973, hatched by Steve Englehart and Jim Starlin. The script will modernize the hero to avoid stereotypes that many comic characters of that era were saddled with. The comic launched around the time that Enter the Dragon became a global sensation and martial arts films raged. In the comics, Shang-Chi is the son of China-based globalist who raised and educated his progeny in his reclusive China compound, closed off to the outside world. The son trained in the martial arts and developed unsurpassed skills. He is eventually introduced to the outside world to do his father’s bidding, and then has to come to grips with the fact his revered father might not be the humanitarian he has claimed to be and is closer to what others call him: The Devil’s Doctor. He also might be centuries old. The deceit makes them bitter enemies.

Marvel Studios has worked with a stable of talented filmmakers from diverse backgrounds including Anna Boden and Ryan Fleck, directing next year’s Captain Marvel with Brie Larson; Coogler, directing the Black Panther sequel; Taika Waititi, who directed Thor: Ragnarok; Chloé Zhao, who will direct The Eternals; and Cate Shortland, who will direct a stand-alone film for Marvel staple Black Widow starring Scarlett Johansson.

Giantrobo 12-03-18 01:51 PM

re: Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings (2021, D: Destin Daniel Cretton)

:up:

devilshalo 12-03-18 01:52 PM

About time, now people can stop with the whole Danny Rand/Iron Fist should have been Asian bullshit.

cultshock 12-03-18 02:28 PM

Sweet! :up:

DJariya 12-03-18 03:11 PM

A few actors who I can think of potentially for Shang Chi:

Daniel Wu

Jaycee Chan

Harry Shum Jr.

Daniel Henney - Korean-American, but could pass for Chinese

Andy On

I think Wu would be the obvious candidate. Trained in martial arts, starring in a martial arts TV show on AMC and has done a major American film (Tomb Raider) and he's still relatively young (early 40's) And he's fluent in Mandarin, Cantonese.

Giantrobo 12-03-18 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by devilshalo (Post 13454742)
About time, now people can stop with the whole Danny Rand/Iron Fist should have been Asian bullshit.

Why? :lol: Is this Asian character/actor gonna be Iron Fist?

inri222 12-03-18 06:02 PM

Emma Stone would be perfect as Shang-Chi. :sarcasm:

Perkinsun Dzees 12-03-18 06:07 PM

Would be awesome to see Donnie Yen play the role, though he may be too old at this point.

If they decide to go the non-Asian route, I'd love to see Michael B. Jordan or Danny McBride (He was great in "Fist Foot Way") tackle the role

fumanstan 12-03-18 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by Giantrobo (Post 13454874)
Why? :lol: Is this Asian character/actor gonna be Iron Fist?

Can't speak for devilshalo, but as someone who also thought the Iron Fist casting talk was silly I think it's more interesting to me to get a character adapted on screen that was written to be Asian from the get go, rather then people wanting to shoe horn an Asian actor to a white character just for the sake of diversity.

Deftones 12-03-18 06:15 PM

I have never heard of this character. I'm all for new and interesting Marvel superhero movies. :up:

Just looked him up. So basically he wasn't a superhero (no powers) until he got the power to duplicate himself. I wonder if they will use that or leave that out. Sort of similar to Multiple Man, right?

Giantrobo 12-03-18 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by fumanstan (Post 13454941)
Can't speak for devilshalo, but as someone who also thought the Iron Fist casting talk was silly I think it's more interesting to me to get a character adapted on screen that was written to be Asian from the get go, rather then people wanting to shoe horn an Asian actor to a white character just for the sake of diversity.

But how does that change the already dead Iron Fist discussion is what I'm wondering. Since Iron Fist has been Thanos'd on Netflix and this is a completely "new" property Marvel is exploring.

fumanstan 12-03-18 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by Giantrobo (Post 13454951)
But how does that change the already dead Iron Fist discussion is what I'm wondering. Since Iron Fist has been Thanos'd on Netflix and this is a completely "new" property Marvel is exploring.

It obviously doesn't change anything after the fact, I think the point is that the Iron Fist discussion doesn't happen if representation was already happening. So if this actually gets made, it will help curtail that kind of discussion from coming up again.

Brian T 12-03-18 10:05 PM

Henry Golding seems to be getting high profile gigs at the moment. Wouldn’t surprise me if they went after him. He’s mixed (and obviously, at that) but that didn’t his casting as what I assumed to be “pure” Malaysian-Chinese in Crazy Rich Asians.

Baron Of Hell 12-03-18 10:11 PM

Never heard of the character but I'm looking forward to this.

PacMan2006 12-03-18 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by fumanstan (Post 13454966)
It obviously doesn't change anything after the fact, I think the point is that the Iron Fist discussion doesn't happen if representation was already happening. So if this actually gets made, it will help curtail that kind of discussion from coming up again.

No it doesn't. One casting doesn't undue another one. The Iron Fist casting was silly even if there were 100 Asian superheroes. The fact that there aren't even made it more absurd.

Deadman31 12-03-18 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya (Post 13454803)

Daniel Wu

Jaycee Chan

Harry Shum Jr.

Andy On

I think Wu would be the obvious candidate. Trained in martial arts, starring in a martial arts TV show on AMC and has done a major American film (Tomb Raider) and he's still relatively young (early 40's) And he's fluent in Mandarin, Cantonese.

Idris Elba

Sonic 12-03-18 11:30 PM

Daniel Wu

Jaycee Chan

Harry Shum Jr.

Andy On

Jean Claude Van Damme

B5Erik 12-03-18 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by Perkinsun Dzees (Post 13454932)
Would be awesome to see Donnie Yen play the role, though he may be too old at this point.

Yeah, he's WAY too old (he's 5 years older than me, for crying out loud), but a 35 year old Donnie Yen would have been awesome in the role!

fumanstan 12-04-18 01:07 AM

Originally Posted by PacMan2006 (Post 13455106)
No it doesn't. One casting doesn't undue another one. The Iron Fist casting was silly even if there were 100 Asian superheroes. The fact that there aren't even made it more absurd.

Depends. In my opinion, a lot of the Iron Fist casting hoopla was because some people seemed to think it was an ideal situation for Marvel/Netflix/Whomever to cast an Asian actor simply because of the show's content, which as I said earlier would feel to me like no reason other then forced diversity. If other Asian characters were properly represented in comic book movies, I don't think that demand would have been nearly as vocal.

I still don't have a problem with the Iron Fist casting (although Finn Jones certainly ended up being the weak link in the series), and thought the silly matter was people wanting to cast an Asian actor as Danny Rand. And i'm Asian. :shrug:

devilshalo 12-04-18 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by fumanstan (Post 13455154)
Depends. In my opinion, a lot of the Iron Fist casting hoopla was because some people seemed to think it was an ideal situation for Marvel/Netflix/Whomever to cast an Asian actor simply because of the show's content, which as I said earlier would feel to me like no reason other then forced diversity. If other Asian characters were properly represented in comic book movies, I don't think that demand would have been nearly as vocal.

I still don't have a problem with the Iron Fist casting (although Finn Jones certainly ended up being the weak link in the series), and thought the silly matter was people wanting to cast an Asian actor as Danny Rand. And i'm Asian. :shrug:

^ This. 1000%. And I'm Asian, too. And the same applies to people that wanted an Asian Robin/Nightwing.

Giantrobo 12-04-18 11:30 AM

Daniel Wu

Jaycee Chan

Harry Shum Jr.

Andy On

Constance Wu

Giantrobo 12-04-18 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by fumanstan (Post 13455154)

Originally Posted by devilshalo (Post 13455311)
^ This. 1000%. And I'm Asian, too. And the same applies to people that wanted an Asian Robin/Nightwing.

:shrug: I feel what kills the Iron Fist discussion is.... Iron Fist was killed. :lol:

Anyway, sounds like Marvel won't be doing any "forced diversity" in this case so everyone can relax.

fumanstan 12-04-18 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by devilshalo (Post 13455311)

:up: Agreed.

Originally Posted by Giantrobo (Post 13455344)
:shrug: I feel what kills the Iron Fist discussion is.... Iron Fist was killed. :lol:

Anyway, sounds like Marvel won't be doing any "forced diversity" in this case so everyone can relax.

I'm already relaxed, it's just interesting discussion to me being Asian American, a comic book fan, and looking at the reactions from the public and media when it comes to casting roles in movies and TV shows. For someone that's been so vocal when it has come to representation on your own race here, especially as comic book fan yourself, I'm genuinely surprised that your response seems to be "Iron Fist is over, what does it matter?" It doesn't matter that Iron Fist is over and done with, the question about his race was still something happened and something interesting to look back on. The same way people still reference Michael B. Jordan being cast as Johnny Storm in Fantastic Four when it comes to the diversification of comic book characters.

I hope I don't come off as a dick or accusatory, just trying to present a point of reference on why it was brought up and why it can matter to me (and presumably, other Asians in the same boat like devilshalo), even if it doesn't seem to matter to you. :)

rw2516 12-04-18 04:31 PM

Read the comic a lot in the 70s. I'm assuming the Fu Manchu, Nayland Smith stuff has all been ditched because of rights and stereotype issues. They could probably keep the sister character, "the daughter of Fu Manchu", by changing her name.
The best part of the comic was the secret agent, James Bond/SHIELD stuff. The art often reminded me of Steranko's SHIELD stuff. Hope they keep that in.

Excited there may be a THE ETERNALS movie coming also.

Shoveler 12-04-18 04:53 PM

Daniel Wu

Jaycee Chan

Harry Shum Jr.

Andy On

Originally Posted by Deadman31 (Post 13455110)
Idris Elba

Originally Posted by Sonic (Post 13455133)
Jean Claude Van Damme

Originally Posted by Giantrobo (Post 13455333)
Constance Wu

Finn Jones