DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   The Gentlemen (2020, D: Ritchie) S: McConaughey, Farrell, Dockery, Hunnam, Strong, Golding, Grant (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/645998-gentlemen-2020-d-ritchie-s-mcconaughey-farrell-dockery-hunnam-strong-golding-grant.html)

dex14 11-30-18 07:17 PM

The Gentlemen (2020, D: Ritchie) S: McConaughey, Farrell, Dockery, Hunnam, Strong, Golding, Grant

Colin Farrell and Michelle Dockery have joined Matthew McConaughey in the British crime drama “Toff Guys,” with Guy Ritchie directing.

Farrell’s deal is not yet closed. He would portray a trainer of MMA fighters. Dockery is replacing Kate Beckinsale as the wife of McConaughey’s character, who is attempting to cash out of his highly profitable drug empire. Henry Golding will play a Vietnamese gangster and Hugh Grant is on board as a blackmailing photographer.

Ritchie is directing from a script that he co-wrote with Marn Davies and Ivan Atkinson. The film is described as being in the vein of the British gangster movies that Ritchie shot earlier in his career such as “Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels” and “Snatch.”

Miramax paid $30 million to pick up worldwide rights to “Toff Guys” at the Cannes Film Festival. Production is already under way in England.

Farrell stars in “Widows” opposite Viola Davis and Liam Neeson. He’ll be seen in Disney’s live-action remake of “Dumbo,” which opens March 29. Dockery played Lady Mary Crawley in the “Downton Abbey” series and returned to reprise the role in the movie version, currently in post-production.

Farrell is repped by CAA, IF Artists Management, and Hansen Jacobson.
https://variety.com/2018/film/news/c...ys-1203064993/

Hazel Motes 12-01-18 04:27 AM

re: The Gentlemen (2020, D: Ritchie) S: McConaughey, Farrell, Dockery, Hunnam, Strong, Golding, Grant

Hmmm. With very few exceptions, I consider Guy Ritchie's filmography to be a pile of hot garbage. However with Lock Stock and Snatch being 2 of those exceptions and the fact that this is being sold as a return to that, I'm cautiously optimistic about this. Pretty good cast too.

melasnus 12-01-18 02:45 PM

re: The Gentlemen (2020, D: Ritchie) S: McConaughey, Farrell, Dockery, Hunnam, Strong, Golding, Grant

Originally Posted by Hazel Motes (Post 13453604)
Hmmm. With very few exceptions, I consider Guy Ritchie's filmography to be a pile of hot garbage. However with Lock Stock and Snatch being 2 of those exceptions and the fact that this is being sold as a return to that, I'm cautiously optimistic about this. Pretty good cast too.

I was thinking the same thing.
Those earlier movies were a lot of fun.

Defiant1 12-01-18 06:52 PM

I bet McConaughey will play an American and use his native accent. He seems incapable of changing it.

OldBoy 12-01-18 09:03 PM

His Sherlock Holmes’ aren’t bad.

GoldenJCJ 12-01-18 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by Defiant1 (Post 13453956)
I bet McConaughey will play an American and use his native accent. He seems incapable of changing it.

Or maybe he’ll pull a Brad Pitt and be the only one you can’t understand.

Thrush 12-12-18 11:48 AM

Hes made the same movie 3 times. Lock Stock, Snatch and Rocknrolla. Its a good movie but yeah.

Rob V 12-12-18 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by Defiant1 (Post 13453956)

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-gUJUnr1Qc4...ht+Alright.jpg

dex14 10-02-19 10:04 AM

Re: The Gentlemen (2020, D: Ritchie) S: McConaughey, Farrell, Dockery, Hunnam, Strong, Golding, Grant

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...44b8a652cf.jpg

From writer/director Guy Ritchie comes THE GENTLEMEN, a star-studded sophisticated action comedy. THE GENTLEMEN follows American expat Mickey Pearson (Matthew McConaughey) who built a highly profitable marijuana empire in London. When word gets out that he’s looking to cash out of the business forever it triggers plots, schemes, bribery and blackmail in an attempt to steal his domain out from under him (featuring an all-star ensemble cast including Charlie Hunnam, Henry Golding, Michelle Dockery, Jeremy Strong, Eddie Marsan, Colin Farrell, and Hugh Grant).

E Unit 10-02-19 10:11 AM

Re: The Gentlemen (2020, D: Ritchie) S: McConaughey, Farrell, Dockery, Hunnam, Strong, Golding, Grant

This looks damn good. It seems Ritchie makes his best films only in this comedy crime genre.

dex14 12-23-19 11:37 AM

dex14 01-17-20 09:48 AM

This opens next week and reviews are already out. Currently at 75% on RT: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_gentlemen/

OldBoy 01-18-20 05:43 PM

this looks like the Ritchie of old and i'm all in...

GoldenJCJ 01-18-20 09:09 PM

Yeah, I don’t usually care for Guy Ritchie movies but this one looks fun. I’m actually fairly excited for this.

Why So Blu? 01-24-20 02:08 AM

Watched this tonight and it was Guy back to form. Shit, can't believe it's been like 12 years since Rock N Rolla, which is my favorite Ritchie film of all. The Gentlemen was awesome. I hope folks gravitate towards it. I saw it in one of the bigger auditoriums, not IMAX or Dolby Cinema, but my crowd loved it. I will be getting the 4K disc for sure!

Perkinsun Dzees 01-24-20 02:37 AM

Went into this without high expectations considering how hit and miss Guy Ritchie can be, but I thought this was a highly enjoyable crime flick. The opening 15 minutes were a little confusing as Hugh Grant's slimy PI character essentially narrates the opening of the story, setting up the plot and various characters, but once the "real" narrative comes into focus, the storyline about gangland warfare is fairly easy to follow.

Smart writing, witty dialogue, solid pacing, a great soundtrack and a truck load of nifty plot twists make this a lot of fun if a bit longish. Ritchie directs with a great sense of style and energy and the cast is excellent across the board. Hugh Grant really should get Oscar consideration next year for his role, but probably won't because this film isn't weighty enough and came out too early. All in all, I'd have to put this up there with Knives Out as one of the better ensemble crime caper comedy/thrillers of recent years.

dex14 01-25-20 05:36 PM

After over a decade making big, mostly dull, studio movies (I liked TMFU), this was a GREAT return to form for Ritchie. His best film since Snatch. The cast is awesome and the script is tight.

bluetoast 01-25-20 05:45 PM

How was Charlie Hunnam in this? That dude keeps getting the shaft with his movie choices, so I’m hopeful he’s good here.

dex14 01-25-20 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by bluetoast (Post 13676985)
How was Charlie Hunnam in this? That dude keeps getting the shaft with his movie choices, so I’m hopeful he’s good here.

I generally don't like him much, but I thought he was great here. If he was like this in more movies, I'd be a bigger fan. I used to be before SOA.

Dr. DVD 01-26-20 10:03 AM

Caught this yesterday. Pretty much agree with everyone else's comments. Highly entertaining movie with Ritchie returning to his roots. I think it's kind of a shame that TMFU failed , as it was the most Guy Ritchie feeling movie of his studio efforts.

L Everett Scott 01-26-20 07:57 PM

Caught The Gentlemen this afternoon and quite enjoyed it. If you liked Ritchie's other 'geezer films' (I loved RockNRolla, Snatch, and Lock, Stock) there's a fairly good chance you'd enjoy this as well.

Does anybody know if that other four-letter word popped up more often than the f-bomb? I wasn't counting, but I was pretty sure it did.

Question:
Spoiler:
Did the Coach's kids intend to kill the Russian hitmen? Or did they mean to kill Mickey?

dex14 01-26-20 08:00 PM

The latter.

Hazel Motes 01-28-20 04:23 AM

When Mickey got into the car and said "Dave?" followed by a long pause, was anyone else expecting the response to be "Dave's not here man." I don't know why but I thought for sure it was coming.

I thought this was a terrific movie. I had fun from beginning to end. Everyone brought their "A" game. I don't understand why Ritchie has bothered with all the Swept Away, King Arthur, Sherlock Holmes, Lion King garbage when he had a film like this loaded into the chamber. Then again when Disney backs up a Brinks truck, its probably hard to say no. It's just a shame he had to make so many shite films.

mh4268 01-28-20 10:42 AM

Enjoyed this, I think Ritchie has always been a good director, with a few stinkers in there. I have, however, been giving Matthew Vaughn more credit for Lock Stock and Snatch since he was the producer for those two films and after he left, Ritchie definitely fell off and I think Vaughn's films have been superior. This film definitely makes me rethink that opinion.

DJariya 01-28-20 03:18 PM

I saw this yesterday and enjoyed it. Very quirky and Very British. I loved that the underlying storyline was Hugh Grant's character was trying to sell a movie. But, they blended comedy. action and quirky British humor well.

The non-linear storytelling did get a little confusing thought as I got confused what was real and what was exaggerated by Fletcher.