Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Candyman (2021, D: Nia DaCosta, EP: Jordan Peele)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 09-10-18, 10:12 AM

Received 4,516 Likes on 3,064 Posts

One of my favorite horror movies is the Bernard Rose-directed Candyman, a chilling urban horror film adapted from Clive Barker‘s “Books of Blood” short story “The Forbidden”. “Urban” has a dual meaning in that the adaptation was moved from England to the now demolished Cabrini–Green public housing development in Chicago, while the antagonist is an urban legend in himself, the Candyman (played by Tony Todd), an artist and son of a slave who had his hand severed and was then murdered (with bees, of course) by his lover’s father. Released in 1992, the film spawned two sequels, the latter being direct-to-video.

While lesser known among the horror icons, Candyman is easily one of the scariest; he can be summoned by saying his name five times while facing a mirror.

As for the franchise, it’s been dormant for nearly 20 years. In poking around for a revival screening, I learned that the rights have become available once again. Tri-Star had released the first two films while Artisan was behind 1999’s Day of the Dead. While I’m unsure who is the current rights holder – it may have reverted back to Clive Barker for all I know – I do know that Jordan Peele is in talks to produce a remake of the film through his Monkeypaw Productions. It’s unclear if he plans to direct. Sounds sweets to the sweet to me.

Even if highly unlikely, two years ago, Rose had openly stated that he’d love to direct a “proper” sequel to the film and bring Virginia Madsen as Helen.

Peele won an Oscar earlier this year for his Get Out screenplay and was also nominated for “Best Director”. He’s currently filming Us, another social thriller, while his Monkeypaw Productions is behind a remake of “The Twilight Zone”, “The Hunt” and “Lovecraft Country”. He also produced this summer’s BlacKkKlansman.

“It was always you, Jordan.”
https://bloody-disgusting.com/books/...man-exclusive/
Old 09-10-18, 10:18 AM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts
Re: Candyman -- remake

Sounds good. Candyman is an excellent film.
Old 09-10-18, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by Mabuse
Sounds good. Candyman is an excellent film.
It really is.
Old 09-11-18, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes, Candyman is an excellent film, with a perfect score, which is why remaking it is a terrible idea.
Old 09-11-18, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 397 Likes on 265 Posts

Tony Todd or bust.
Old 11-27-18, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts
Candyman Reboot (2020, D: Nia DaCosta)

“Little Woods” director and writer Nia DaCosta has been tapped to helm “Candyman,” a new retelling of the classic horror pic with Jordan Peele, Win Rosenfeld, and MGM producing.

The film, a “spiritual sequel” to the original, returns to the neighborhood where the legend began: the now-gentrified section of Chicago where the Cabrini-Green housing projects once stood. Production is expected to begin next spring. Universal Pictures will release the movie theatrically on June 12, 2020.

“We cannot wait for the world to see what the mind-blowing combination of Jordan, Win, and Nia bring to the legend of Candyman. They have created a story that will not only pay reverence to Clive Barker’s haunting and brilliant source material, but is also thoroughly modern and will bring in a whole new generation of fans,” said MGM Motion Picture Group president Jonathan Glickman.

Peele will produce through his Monkeypaw Productions. MGM will produce and finance “Candyman,” with Universal handling domestic theatrical distribution. Adam Rosenberg, MGM’s co-president of production, and Tabitha Shick, MGM’s vice president of production, will oversee the movie on behalf of the studio and Ian Cooper will produce for Monkeypaw.

“The original was a landmark film for black representation in the horror genre. Alongside ‘Night of the Living Dead,’ ‘Candyman’ was a major inspiration for me as a filmmaker — and to have a bold new talent like Nia at the helm of this project is truly exciting. We are honored to bring the next chapter in the ‘Candyman’ canon to life and eager to provide new audiences with an entry point to Clive Barker’s legend,” Peele said.
https://variety.com/2018/film/news/c...le-1203037897/
Old 11-27-18, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 873 Likes on 644 Posts
re: Candyman (2021, D: Nia DaCosta, EP: Jordan Peele)

No Tony Todd, no sale. No one else can play that role.
Old 11-27-18, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Candyman was a pretty good film. The whole urban myth angle was great. One of the better horror films from the 90s.
I found out the Clive Barker short story it was based on is very different from the film.
Old 11-27-18, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

I have very little faith in this remake project especially with many of today's horror films using the same special effects and cuts.
Old 11-27-18, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 184 Likes on 128 Posts

Very skeptical of them finding anybody who can match Tony Todd's presence from the original film.
Old 11-27-18, 07:13 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Do a soft reboot with Michael B. Jordan as son of Candyman.
Old 11-27-18, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

"The reboot helped create a black character that has resonated with audiences, so instead of trying to do that again we're just going to make another one."

Patiently waiting for the news Candyman will now be a woman.
Old 12-06-18, 08:49 AM

Just last week, one of our big scoops from earlier this year was confirmed when we learned that Jordan Peele is indeed producing a “spiritual sequel” to Bernard Rose’s original Candyman, with Nia DaCosta on board to direct a script co-written by Peele. At this time, we still don’t know if Tony Todd will be back in the title role or if the role will be recast.

So what does Todd himself think of all this?

“I have mixed feelings because I thought they were gonna make this 15 years ago,” the horror icon just told Syfy. “If this had been 10 years ago when I had heard news, I would have been devastated. I would have fought for it. Now I’m in a different place.”

He continued, “I’ve got so many other options that even if they make it without me, which I doubt, the attention the new movie will create will lead folks back to the original [film] because people like to see the source material.”

Todd also spoke a bit about what he’d like to see from the brand new take on the horror villain he made into a icon, while noting that now is the perfect time to bring him back.

“In 2018, I think there are a few neighborhoods that could use some Candyman justice, you know what I’m saying? I’m just happy that as an African-American man, that Candyman has once again been given the nod to enter people’s consciousness,” he expressed to the site.

Todd added, “I hope that they don’t dance around the relationship between Candyman and the love of his life, the reason for his death and that they are actually allowed to kiss. [Back then] it was rare that African-American male film stars got to kiss any of the white leading ladies they worked with. I’m just speaking my mind here.”

MGM will release the new Candyman on June 12, 2020.
https://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/...-hed-like-see/
Old 12-06-18, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,748 Likes on 1,093 Posts

Originally Posted by islandclaws
"The reboot helped create a black character that has resonated with audiences, so instead of trying to do that again we're just going to make another one."

Patiently waiting for the news Candyman will now be a woman.

I'd make him Gay.
Old 12-06-18, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
I'd make him Gay.
Similar to what they did with the Lawnmower Man reboot:

Old 12-06-18, 06:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
Similar to what they did with the Lawnmower Man reboot:

Well played.
Old 12-06-18, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
I'd make him Gay.
In the remake if you say "Hey gurl" 5x it will come out and claw your eyes out.
Old 12-07-18, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,748 Likes on 1,093 Posts

Old 01-28-19, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

EXCLUSIVE: Lakeith Stanfield In Talks To Star In Jordan Peele’s ‘CANDYMAN’ Reboot

We have exclusively learned that Lakeith Stanfield is in talks to star as the main character of the film, Anthony, who is being described as a socially pronounced artist in Chicago who researches the urban legend of Candyman. After investigating the killer’s last known whereabouts, strange killings begin to occur around Anthony. The protagonist will serve a role similar to that of Helen Lyle, the main character of the original movie.
https://superbromovies.com/2019/01/28/__trashed-17/
Old 01-28-19, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I enjoy him in Atlanta but I still think this franchise lives/dies with Tony Todd.
Old 01-28-19, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,128 Likes on 888 Posts

I actually just watched Candyman for the first time in a while with the Scream Factory Blu-ray release. Great film but it does feel a bit dated and you can tell it’s a nineties film. As great as Tony Todd is one thing that bothers me about him as Candyman is I have a hard time understanding his dialogue half the time and had to turn on subtitles.
Old 01-29-19, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Another black man stealing a role from a white woman...
Old 01-29-19, 02:22 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Is Jordan Peele being pigeonholed or is this really what he wants to do? All I know is the guy is/was a comedian. He made one movie that was a dark satire that used the horror genre to get its point across, and now he’s being treated Sam Raimi. He’s attached to like 3 horror related projects. Is this what he wants to be doing?
Old 01-29-19, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Is Jordan Peele being pigeonholed or is this really what he wants to do? All I know is the guy is/was a comedian. He made one movie that was a dark satire that used the horror genre to get its point across, and now he’s being treated Sam Raimi. He’s attached to like 3 horror related projects. Is this what he wants to be doing?
Us is by him completely and is also horror/thriller. I assume it's what he wants to be doing. That being said, Keanu was a kick ass movie.
Old 01-29-19, 02:35 PM

Is this what he wants to be doing?
Yes.

"I’ve been spending the first half of my career focusing on comedy but my goal, in all honesty, is to write and direct horror movies. I have one that I’m working on with Darko Entertainment called 'Get Out' – I don’t want to say too much about it, but it is one of the very, very few horror movies that does jump off of racial fears. That to me is a world that hasn’t been explored. Specifically, the fears of being a black man today. The fears of being any person who feels like they’re a stranger in any environment that is foreign to them. It deals with a protagonist that I don’t see in horror movies." Peele doesn't enter the conversation until around the 31-minute mark if you want to skip ahead. It's a lengthy conversation - about an hour long - and definitely worth hearing him speak on the movie and his intent, and horror cinema in general, before "Get Out" premieres on Friday.

Additionally: Peele appeard on producer Blumhouse's podcast titled "Shock Waves," joining hosts Rob Galluzzo, Elric Kane, Rebekah McKendry and Ryan Turek to discuss "Get Out" (while it was still in post-production) and horror cinema in general, past and present. Via the lengthy, in depth conversation, you will find out just how big a fan of the horror genre he is. They talk about his discovery of horror as a kid, his favorite theatrical horror experiences, how horror has influenced his comedic work, the correlations between the two, what his top 5 genre movies are and much more! Peele doesn't enter the conversation until around the 31-minute mark if you want to skip ahead. It's a lengthy conversation - about an hour long - and definitely worth hearing him speak on the movie and his intent, and horror cinema in general, before "Get Out" premieres on Friday.
https://shadowandact.com/jordan-peel...friday-feb-24/

Last edited by dex14; 01-29-19 at 02:46 PM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.