DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   RIP Ricky Jay (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/645945-rip-ricky-jay.html)

TheMovieman 11-24-18 08:40 PM

RIP Ricky Jay

Ricky Jay, Master Magician and Actor in ‘Deadwood,’ ‘Boogie Nights,’ Dies at 72

Ricky Jay, a master magician who also acted in films and TV shows such as “Boogie Nights,” “House of Games” and “Deadwood,” died Saturday in Los Angeles. He was 72.

Jay’s manager, Winston Simone, said he died of natural causes, adding, “He was one of a kind. We will never see the likes of him again.”

His attorney Stan Coleman confirmed his death. His partner in the Deceptive Practices company, Michael Weber, tweeted, “I am sorry to share that my remarkable friend, teacher, collaborator and co-conspirator is gone.”

A New Yorker profile called him “the most gifted sleight of hand artist alive,” and Jay was also known for his card tricks and memory feats.

He appeared in several David Mamet movies, including “House of Games,” “The Spanish Prisoner,” “Things Change,” “Redbelt” and “State and Main.”

In “Deadwood,” he played card sharp Eddie Sawyer during the first season, and also wrote for the show.

In the 1997 James Bond film “Tomorrow Never Dies,” Jay played a cyber-terrorist to Pierce Brosnan’s Bond.

He also provided the narration for movies such as Paul Thomas Anderson’s “Magnolia.” His one-man Broadway show directed by Mamet, “Ricky Jay and His 52 Assistants,” was recorded for an HBO special in 1996.

With Weber, he created the Deceptive Practices company, which provided solutions to movies and TV productions such as the wheelchair that hid Gary Sinise’s legs in “Forrest Gump.” They also worked on films including “The Prestige,” “The Illusionist” and “Oceans Thirteen.”

Jay, who was born Richard Jay Potash in Brooklyn, was introduced to magic by his grandfather. He began performing in New York, opening for rock bands. Jay first worked in film with on Caleb Deschanel’s “The Escape Artist.”
https://variety.com/2018/film/news/r...ts-1203035879/

OldBoy 11-24-18 08:44 PM

Re: RIP Ricky Jay

Loved his stuff with Mamet. Sad. RIP Jay...

story 11-24-18 08:59 PM

No! Man, I was a huge fan. RIP.

E Unit 11-24-18 09:00 PM

Wow, Ricky Jay gone. Damn. I loved him in everything he was in. RIP.

GoldenJCJ 11-24-18 09:21 PM

I was a big fan. Of course all his small parts in movies were great but I mostly remember him from his HBO special in the 90s where he talked in-depth about the history of magic as he was doing his act. I specifically remember him throwing playing cards and sticking them into watermelons from across the stage.

He really was one of a kind.

RIP Ricky Jay. :(

Nick Danger 11-24-18 09:31 PM

Aw.

I first saw him on TV in the 1970s. He was throwing cards all the way to the back wall of the theater. I was throwing cards at the time so I knew just how good he was. He had long loose hair, and he accidentally set it on fire during a magic trick that involved fire. Someone else noticed before he did, and ran from backstage and put it out.

My favorite movie scene with him was the one with the pistol on the card table. (No spoilers.)

DeanoBKN 11-24-18 09:36 PM

A damn fine magician, with a very impressive and respectable acting career to boot.

R.I.P.

hdnmickey 11-24-18 09:39 PM

The Amazing Maleeni RIP

Why So Blu? 11-24-18 10:30 PM

Yeah, he was awesome. RIP

Sonic 11-24-18 10:48 PM

RIP

Shame it had to be right after Thanksgiving :(

inri222 11-24-18 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by DeanoBKN (Post 13449734)
A damn fine magician, with a very impressive and respectable acting career to boot.

R.I.P.

:up:

Mabuse 11-24-18 11:29 PM

Sucks. Reserved for more later. I’ll try to think of more.

He was a genius and a master craftsman.

The Antipodean 11-25-18 05:34 PM

Really bummed to hear this. As a character actor he lifted everything he was in and as a magician he was stunning. I highly recommend his several books on exotic and obscure magic, carnival and hoaxer history too, they are fantastic.

Ash Ketchum 11-25-18 08:05 PM

There was a documentary about him, DECEPTIVE PRACTICES, made a few years ago. Not a good film, but he was fascinating to watch. I regret not going to see his live show in NYC when I had the chance.

Jon2 11-25-18 10:10 PM

I remember him from some TV specials. Anyone else remember his X-Files episode?

melasnus 11-25-18 11:51 PM

Great character actor...RIP.

hdnmickey 11-26-18 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by Jon2 (Post 13450298)
I remember him from some TV specials. Anyone else remember his X-Files episode?

Yes.

Originally Posted by hdnmickey (Post 13449737)
The Amazing Maleeni RIP

Rival11 11-26-18 11:05 AM

He was awesome, always kept my attention and had a great presence.

Giantrobo 11-26-18 11:48 AM

Rip

islandclaws 11-26-18 12:36 PM

Here's a fantastic New Yorker piece on Ricky Jay from 1993. The man truly was one of a kind.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/1...s-of-the-magus

Geofferson 11-26-18 04:23 PM

^ Great read :up:

Sad news. Last I recall seeing him was years ago in The Prestige. He was always good in the Mamet movies. Only one I don't think I've seen is Redbelt.

TheBigDave 11-26-18 10:59 PM

I met him in a bar about 25 years ago. Had no idea who he was. We talked for a while. He was a really nice guy.

He mentioned that he was an actor and magician. But I figured he was just a local amateur. A couple years later I saw him in movies and on TV.

dex14 11-29-18 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum (Post 13450232)
There was a documentary about him, DECEPTIVE PRACTICES, made a few years ago. Not a good film, but he was fascinating to watch. I regret not going to see his live show in NYC when I had the chance.

The doc is on Amazon if anyone is interested.

Franchot 11-29-18 09:53 PM

I'm also a fan of this multi-talented man, but dying at the age of 72 (or 70 as some sources have reported) of "natural causes" is a somewhat strange these days. Did he have some sort of illness?

bluetoast 11-29-18 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by islandclaws (Post 13450576)
Here's a fantastic New Yorker piece on Ricky Jay from 1993. The man truly was one of a kind.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/1...s-of-the-magus

Thanks for that. Awesome read, and I can only imagine the number of books and new information he gained in the years since.