Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Stars 80s to Present - aside from Tom Cruise, who else is there ?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Stars 80s to Present - aside from Tom Cruise, who else is there ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-18, 05:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Re: Stars 80s to Present - aside from Tom Cruise, who else is there ?

Originally Posted by orangerunner
For instance when was the last time you saw Tom Cruise play an insecure loser? Never.
More loser than insecure...but still...

Old 11-29-18, 10:44 AM
Banned

Received 1,000 Likes on 666 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
It wasn't just that; at around the same time he got into an online feud with Brooke Shields about postpartum depression and went on the Today show to say that psychiatry was dangerous and psychiatric medicine to cope with depression was a hoax, all based on his Scientology beliefs. Then there were all the rumors about Katie Holmes being his beard, and that Southpark episode that he sued over. And I personally don't believe that his image really recovered until he took that role in Tropic Thunder.
I don't think his image has fully recovered. Besides the Mission Impossible films, all his other movies haven't performed as expected, including The Mummy, which was supposed to jumpstart the Universal Monsters series of films. I feel that his image has not only been tarnished by his Scientology bullshit, but also because his over controlling of the films he's in doesn't let him see that he's not suitable for many roles he's done, like Jack Reacher. There's also a phonyness that he exudes, similar to Will Smith.
Old 11-29-18, 01:25 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Yes. I’ve written about that before. In his quest for perfection he’s lost the one quality that most actors are dying to achieve. He can’t be an Everyman.

the thing he lacks that most stars have is an "everyman" quality. By all accounts he's an extremely driven, determined guy, a perfectionist with a dynamic personality. It seems like he woke up around age 16 and said, "I'm going to be the perfect human being from this day forward." Poised, strong, masculine. Perfect teeth, perfect hair, perfect posture, perfect diction. I think it served him well, but I think he literally lost some of his humanity along the way. Jimmy Stewart, Tom Hanks, Glenn Ford, Spencer Tracy, even Matt Damon have the "everyman" quality. Tom Cruise (on screen and off) has a "superman" quality. He comes off as too calculated and somewhat cold in real life, and up on the screen it limits what kind of roles he can play. He always has to be the brash go-getter, the good looking hero who wins. Only in Magnolia and Eyes Wide Shut does he appear as anything less than a winner's winner. The personality type that most closely matches Cruise's off screen persona happens to be the very type that he launched his career into the stratosphere portraying: A Navy Fighter Pilot. Brash and bold shining knights. Handsome young brave perfectionists that keep their cool even in the most desperate circumstances. Egotists, elitists, absolute top of the food chain specimens. But very hard for us to relate to.
Old 11-29-18, 01:43 PM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts

Tom Cruise used to have nasty teeth. I'm always surprised at the number of actors with the nastiest crooked teeth, and how it looks during the close ups. Will Ferrell for example.

Tom has had significant work done and wore braces in his 40s to get his teeth in shape.
Old 11-29-18, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 131 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
More loser than insecure...but still..
Even his role in American Made had the typical "Cruise-isms"; an ambitious, cocky, dare-devil pilot making tonnes of money by placing himself in high-risk situations.
Old 11-29-18, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Kurt Russell is still going strong. He's in the new Netflix Christmas flick, also had pretty big characters in Hateful Eight, Fast and Furious, Guardians 2 and DeepWater Horizon.
Old 11-30-18, 09:27 PM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

some interesting names mentioned

But in the case of Kurt Russell and Harrison Ford, they are definitely NOT the main stars of the decent performing movies on the last decade

E.g. Kurt would have been 4th or 5th star in Guardians 2

Vin Diesel and the Rock are always the stars of the Fast and furious movies

with few exceptions, a tom cruise movie is a definite tom cruise movie. He is definitely the star
Old 12-01-18, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 131 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by Original Desmond
some interesting names mentioned

But in the case of Kurt Russell and Harrison Ford, they are definitely NOT the main stars of the decent performing movies on the last decade

E.g. Kurt would have been 4th or 5th star in Guardians 2

Vin Diesel and the Rock are always the stars of the Fast and furious movies

with few exceptions, a tom cruise movie is a definite tom cruise movie. He is definitely the star
I tend to agree, there's always that debate of whether the stars sell the franchise or the franchise sells the stars.

Tobey Maguire made the three hugely successful Spiderman movies but outside that franchise he was never a front-and-centre box office draw. Michael Keaton was in a similar position with the Batman films.

No one waited on pins-and-needles for the next Tobey Maguire movie or Michael Keaton movie after those films.

Stars like Tom Cruise, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Bruce Willis, Sylvester Stallone, Kevin Costner, in their heyday, could draw huge summer movie-going crowds just from their name above the title.
Old 12-01-18, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,461 Likes on 930 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabuse
Yes. I’ve written about that before. In his quest for perfection he’s lost the one quality that most actors are dying to achieve. He can’t be an Everyman.

the thing he lacks that most stars have is an "everyman" quality. By all accounts he's an extremely driven, determined guy, a perfectionist with a dynamic personality. It seems like he woke up around age 16 and said, "I'm going to be the perfect human being from this day forward." Poised, strong, masculine. Perfect teeth, perfect hair, perfect posture, perfect diction. I think it served him well, but I think he literally lost some of his humanity along the way. Jimmy Stewart, Tom Hanks, Glenn Ford, Spencer Tracy, even Matt Damon have the "everyman" quality. Tom Cruise (on screen and off) has a "superman" quality. He comes off as too calculated and somewhat cold in real life, and up on the screen it limits what kind of roles he can play. He always has to be the brash go-getter, the good looking hero who wins. Only in Magnolia and Eyes Wide Shut does he appear as anything less than a winner's winner. The personality type that most closely matches Cruise's off screen persona happens to be the very type that he launched his career into the stratosphere portraying: A Navy Fighter Pilot. Brash and bold shining knights. Handsome young brave perfectionists that keep their cool even in the most desperate circumstances. Egotists, elitists, absolute top of the food chain specimens. But very hard for us to relate to.
You forgot Born on the Fourth of July.

Cruise never wanted to be Everyman. He's Douglas Fairbanks, Cary Grant, Basil Rathbone, Errol Flynn -- the handsome leading man who carries everything before him. He's very good at it.

We don't relate to Sherlock Holmes, Superman, James Bond, or Eastwood's Man with No Name. But despite their lack of human touch, they're popular. Someone has to play the knight in shining armor.
Old 12-01-18, 12:05 PM
Banned

I agree. But it kind of narrows his choices.

But I guess that’s why Eyes Wise Shut is so good. It’s a complete dismantling of his persona.
Old 12-01-18, 02:44 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Danger
You forgot Born on the Fourth of July.
And Jerry Maguire
Old 12-01-18, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by JimRochester
DeNiro stopped being a great actor after Meet The Parents. He was funny and good in MTP but then went on to do the sequels. Now the joke's on us with movies like Dirty Grandpa, Last Vegas and The Intern. Not exactly meaty actor's roles. I guess he's earned the right to do crap but I don't think many people are going to run to see The Intern because it has the guy from Raging Bull and Taxi Driver
While I will agree DeNiro has taken just about any role over the last 10+ years, The Intern and The Comedian are both very good films that have very good replay value. Grudge Match with Stallone was also pretty entertaining.
Old 12-01-18, 06:09 PM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

And as for Nic Cage, the rubbish he is spitting out nowadays has diminished his legacy

It's very cheap Straight to video rubbish
Old 12-01-18, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by Original Desmond
And as for Nic Cage, the rubbish he is spitting out nowadays has diminished his legacy

It's very cheap Straight to video rubbish
Mandy 92% on RT. I haven’t seen it, but I will when it comes to Netflix or Prime Video.
Old 12-02-18, 05:03 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Brack
And Jerry Maguire
What? He’s so slick. He’s Mr. Go Getter in that flick.
Old 12-02-18, 06:47 AM

What? He’s so slick. He’s Mr. Go Getter in that flick.
Did you watch only the first five minutes of the movie?
Old 12-02-18, 12:43 PM
Banned

Just because he gets fired doesn’t mean he isn’t a slick go getter anymore. He doggedly soldiers on. And is like always in the most handsomely cuddly sweaters (when he’s not in perfectly tailored suits of course).
Old 12-02-18, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 246 Likes on 175 Posts

Would Tommy Lee Jones qualify?
Old 12-02-18, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I agree. But it kind of narrows his choices.

But I guess that’s why Eyes Wise Shut is so good. It’s a complete dismantling of his persona.
I love Eyes Wide Shut, but I thought the scene where Cruise breaks down crying is the worst scene in movie. He just can't portray a character getting his defenses broken. It looks like play-acting.

Magnolia was a surprise to me. I didn't think he had it in him.
Old 12-02-18, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by rw2516
Would Tommy Lee Jones qualify?
I didn't notice Jones until the 1990s, first in The Fugitive.

He was in Lonesome Dove (1989), but it was on TV so I missed it.
Old 12-02-18, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,198 Likes on 2,064 Posts

Tommy Lee Jones exploded in the 90s but the dude’s been around forever. I think he started to make a name for himself with The Coal Miner’s Daughter in the early 80s.

Looking at IMDB he’s been busy since the 1970s.
Old 12-02-18, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

I love Eyes Wide Shut, but I thought the scene where Cruise breaks down crying is the worst scene in movie. He just can't portray a character getting his defenses broken. It looks like play-acting.

Magnolia was a surprise to me. I didn't think he had it in him.
He was great in both of those. I also liked him in BOTFOJ and Interview with the Vampire. Very underrated performance in Rain Man, which IMO was better than Dustin Hoffman.
Old 12-02-18, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 274 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by orangerunner
Even his role in American Made had the typical "Cruise-isms"; an ambitious, cocky, dare-devil pilot making tonnes of money by placing himself in high-risk situations.
I haven’t seen it but the trailers for Edge of Tomorrow showed Tom Cruise’s character as being new with his job, receiving training and sucking at it and whining to Emily Blunt. I hadn’t seen him have that kind of part in a long time, if ever. Sure, I assume he becomes an expert and saves the day at the end, but at least he wasnt “born with it” like with most of his other action roles.
Old 12-05-18, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Perkinsun Dzees
Samuel Jackson was in Coming to America and Do the Right Thing in the 80s and then did Jurassic Park, Pulp Fiction, the Matrix movies, Star Wars films, the Incredibles and continues strong with the MCU movies, Kingsman and Glass.

Was having kind of a bad morning so thanks for that.
Old 12-06-18, 06:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

I didn't notice Jones until the 1990s, first in The Fugitive.
80s for me...with Coal Miner's Daughter.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.