Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Creed II (Caple Jr., 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Creed II (Caple Jr., 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
4.00%
12.00%
48.00%
32.00%
4.00%
0%
0%
0%
0%
0%
0%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Creed II (Caple Jr., 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Old 11-25-18, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 156 Likes on 96 Posts
Re: Creed II (Caple Jr., 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

This movie gave Ivan Drago (the most cartoonish Rocky villain next to Clubber Lang) some depth. That's a hat trick!
Old 11-25-18, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by JeremyM
Was it a 10-round fight though? Typically fights go 12 rounds. (15 in the early Rocky films, but boxing went away from that in the early 80s.)

I bought the score CD to this (it's a print-on-demand deal by Amazon and as a huge Rocky fan I needed it to keep my collection going) and I have to say I really enjoy it. There is also another release (no CD yet) which features most of the rap songs from the movie, but the score only has a few of the more choice raps that were intertwined with the score rather than separate songs.
Yes. 10 round fight...there's dialogue to the fact that it's the final round AND
Spoiler:
to the fact that all Drago needs to do is stay away from Creed and he'll be the champ
Old 11-25-18, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Not only that, but he finalized his decision when Brigitte Nielsen left them again - for the second time. At that point, he was like, fuck it.
Yes, this was my interpretation as well, but again - I'm not sure his action was needed (except, of course, for purposes of the plot!).
Old 11-25-18, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by devilshalo
I figure being part WB production helped in using HBO Boxing. I'd like to know who his 6 other opponents were prior to his championship bout with the Stuntman.
Im still surprised how Showtime got the rights to Rocky Balboa. Complete with coverage by "HBO" for the big fight in that.
Old 11-25-18, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 89 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Yes. 10 round fight...there's dialogue to the fact that it's the final round AND
Spoiler:
to the fact that all Drago needs to do is stay away from Creed and he'll be the champ
Yeah, that was bad scripting then, especially since championship bouts go 12 in real life, so there was no need for it. An unforced error, I'd say.

Spoiler:
Poor Drago Jr, he had the belt won in fight one but pulled a Bernard Hopkins and hit Creed while he was down and blew it in fight two as he got carried away yet again by going for the KO.
Old 11-25-18, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by devilshalo
I figure being part WB production helped in using HBO Boxing. I'd like to know who his 6 other opponents were prior to his championship bout with the Stuntman.
Probably a bunch of hobos:

Old 11-26-18, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts

Biggest missed opportunity in modern cinema is not having having the robot in some corner of Paulie's room after Creed moves into it.
Old 11-26-18, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by ViewAskewbian
Biggest missed opportunity in modern cinema is not having having the robot in some corner of Paulie's room after Creed moves into it.
I bet they had to sell that robot after Paulie lost all of Rocky's money
Old 11-27-18, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 263 Likes on 191 Posts

Spoiler:
Missed that dialogue then. My girlfriend asked how many rounds there was and I told her 12.

Not as good as the first but still pretty damn entertaining.
Old 11-27-18, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I didn't know it was 10 rounds either
Old 11-27-18, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 380 Likes on 306 Posts

As cliche' as some moments were, I totally dug this movie. They made me care about characters I never thought I would care for. I cannot imagine another Creed movie so I'm glad it ended on this note.
Old 11-28-18, 06:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fumanstan
I didn't know it was 10 rounds either
If anyone sees it a second time, PLEASE listen for this. You know how first-viewings go, it's quite possible I misheard something (like MAYBE they said "All Drago needs to do is stay away for the REMAINING rounds and he'll be champ").
Old 11-28-18, 06:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Rob V
I cannot imagine another Creed movie so I'm glad it ended on this note.
MGM is already in the black ($50 million to produce and already $58 million in box office), so they're planning Creed III. I just hope they do it without Stallone because, as a poster here already said, you just KNOW they'll kill off that character for plot purposes and no one in America wants to see that (Rocky just might be the most beloved movie character of all time).
Old 11-28-18, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,190 Likes on 916 Posts

Stallone Retires From Rocky Balboa Role

In a video posted this morning, one that was shot back during filming on the last day of “Creed II,” actor Sylvester Stallone has revealed that he’s hanging up his gloves with “Creed II” to serve as his final time as Rocky Balboa.

In the video he speaks with some of the cast and crew of that film, saying how much it meant to him that the character he created was able to come back for two more times after he thought it was done:

“Well, this is probably my last rodeo because what I thought happened, and has happened, I never expected. I thought Rocky was over in 2006 [Rocky Balboa]. And I was very happy with that. Then all of a sudden this young man presented himself and the whole story changed. It went on to a new generation. New problems. New adventures. And I couldn’t be happier as I step back because my story has been told, there’s a whole new world that’s going to be opening up with the audience, with this generation. Now you [pointing to Michael B. Jordan], have to carry the mantle.”

Along with the video, Stallone added a thank you to the fans for sticking by his character for over forty years now and adds: “Sadly all things must pass…and end. Keep punching, I love you kind and generous people, and Rocky loves you, too.”

Stallone’s final outing in the role can be seen in “Creed II” currently out in cinemas. Stallone is currently filming “Rambo: Last Blood” which is expected to be his final outing in his other most iconic role John Rambo.
http://www.darkhorizons.com/stallone...y-balboa-role/

I agree that they will make at least one more Creed film, but that will probably not include Rocky, but as far as it goes, that character is done.
Old 11-28-18, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 380 Likes on 306 Posts

Anybody catch the continuity error with Creeds age versus the last time Apollo fought? I could have swore I saw Creed being 28 years old in the "tale of the tape" but Apollo fought Drago in 84 or 85.
Old 11-28-18, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob V
Anybody catch the continuity error with Creeds age versus the last time Apollo fought? I could have swore I saw Creed being 28 years old in the "tale of the tape" but Apollo fought Drago in 84 or 85.
I mentioned that. They said specifically that Apollo died in 1985.

With Adonis being 28, this movie can’t take place in 2017 or 2018.

But IIRC, they never said when it takes place year wise.
Old 11-28-18, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

Perfect end for Rocky... happy with that decision. Rambo on the other hand, I expect to go out in a blaze of glory...
Old 11-29-18, 05:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

"It's your time now." Then he takes off his hat and sits down outside of the ring. I don't know how anyone who watched the movie would be surprised that Stallone is retiring from playing Rocky - I mean, he wrote it right into the movie.
Old 11-29-18, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, to be fair, Rocky I ended with an exchange of "ain't gonna be no rematch/don't want one," and his fight against Lang in Rocky III was supposed to be his last fight, and he had retired "for real, no really for real this time" in Rocky V and that was supposed to end the series, and then Rocky Balboa was supposed to end the series, and on and on and on....
Old 11-29-18, 10:04 PM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
[B]Stallone Retires From Rocky Balboa Role

Now you [pointing to Michael B. Jordan], have to carry the mantle.”
Doesn't he mean "torch"? Who carries a mantle?
Old 11-30-18, 06:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JZ1276
Doesn't he mean "torch"? Who carries a mantle?
It's like mental irregular.
Old 12-02-18, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 478 Likes on 350 Posts

I liked Creed II a lot. Not quite as much as the first one, but I liked it a lot.

There were bits of Rocky II, III, and IV in there, along with the new stuff unique to Creed. This definitely felt like a part of that Rocky universe, but also something fresh and new, too.

And I'm pretty sure that Creed/Drago II was a 12 round fight. I heard a ring announcer say 12 rounds, and I don't think it was just the first fight.

This is a good place for Stallone to get off the train. He's done everything he can with the role. Will they do a Creed III without him? Probably. I'll be in for that one as well.
Old 12-02-18, 11:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If anyone sees it a second time, PLEASE listen for this. You know how first-viewings go, it's quite possible I misheard something (like MAYBE they said "All Drago needs to do is stay away for the REMAINING rounds and he'll be champ").
Went to see it a second time and before the fight Michael Buffer clearly says something like, "Get ready for 12 rounds of action."
Old 12-03-18, 05:16 AM

Received 4,557 Likes on 3,092 Posts

I'm pretty positive I heard 12 as well. He didn't throw the towel during the last round.
Old 12-04-18, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts

Saw it today, loved it, and they definitely said 12 rounds.

Dolph a real highlight for me. He did a lot with what could’ve been a nothing part.

I kinda don’t want a Creed III, as this one seemed to tie a bow so nicely around the original series. (Don’t think anybody was pushing for a rematch with the late Tommy Morrison’s angry son from Rocky V.) Then again, I didn’t think I needed a Creed II despite loving Creed and they came up with a great angle for it....

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.