DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Inside Man: Most Wanted (2019, D: MJ Bassett) -- S: Rhea Seehorn, Aml Ameen, Roxanne McKee (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/645857-inside-man-most-wanted-2019-d-mj-bassett-s-rhea-seehorn-aml-ameen-roxanne-mckee.html)

The Bus 06-03-07 02:43 PM

Inside Man: Most Wanted (2019, D: MJ Bassett) -- S: Rhea Seehorn, Aml Ameen, Roxanne McKee

From Variety:

Spike Lee and Brian Grazer are developing a sequel to "Inside Man" for Universal Pictures and Imagine Entertainment.

Lee is still in negotiations on a helming deal for the project, but he's already working with the original's writer, Russell Gewirtz, on a script.

For now, the pair are keeping their sequel concept under wraps, including whether it would involve the return of the original's main characters, played by Denzel Washington, Clive Owen and Jodie Foster.

Bank heist thriller became the biggest-grossing pic in Lee's helming career, earning $184 million at the worldwide box office earlier this year.

Sequel is now on a list of several projects Lee is considering for his next helming gig.

In addition to "Man," this year Lee also directed Hurricane Katrina docu "When the Levees Broke: A Requiem in Four Acts" for HBO.
Funny. I've been lamenting the lack of an HD DVD for this movie and lo and behold it was showing on Cinemax in HD. This movie is truly great and while I don't think it asks for a sequel, I'll be there opening night.

There's a decent way to follow it up: Arthur Case (Christopher Plummer) seeks some sort of revenge against Dalton Russell. I'd be ecstatic if Foster, Washington, and Owen could all come back but we need at least two of them back. Scratch that. We need all three.

JPRaup 06-03-07 02:50 PM

If Owen there, and Washington would be cool too, I'll def be there. Inside Man was so perfectly directed

Rizor 06-03-07 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by The Bus
There's a decent way to follow it up: Arthur Case (Christopher Plummer) seeks some sort of revenge against Dalton Russell. I'd be ecstatic if Foster, Washington, and Owen could all come back but we need at least two of them back. Scratch that. We need all three.

I thought the first one was great, but a sequel? Reuniting everyone for a revenge plot seems too Ocean's 12-ish for me. I'd prefer it if it was based on a new heist with the Washington character coming back, and maybe Owen's character as well.

Brent L 06-03-07 04:05 PM

You can already find Gewirtz's Inside Man 2 script online if you know where to look. I'm not sure if it's a shooting draft or not, but he has a completed screenplay out there.

Mr. Cinema 06-03-07 04:58 PM

Loved Inside Man. It can work if they can get Denzel back. Clive Owen returning would be a bonus.

Giantrobo 06-03-07 05:38 PM

I'm not huge Spike fan but Inside Man was really good. If the major actors are back then I'm there.

dpz301 06-03-07 05:49 PM

great movie. would certainly give a sequel a chance with the right cast.

OwlAtHome 06-03-07 09:58 PM

Maybe he's got to go back in because he left his undies in there and his name is written on the waist band in permanent black marker and there's a brown stripe down the center and yellow patch in front that he's to proud to have found because he doesn't want the legacy of being "The Inside Man" to be tainted by his poor hygeine habits.

The Bus 05-07-08 07:11 AM

Well, no real news in almost a year but it looks like this is definitely in development with a release date of 2010.

mdc3000 05-07-08 10:38 AM

I wouldn't be eager to see a sequel. I thought the first one was good the first time I saw it, but the movie had little to no replay value for me and unless word was through the roof, I'd be waiting for video to see a sequel.

majorjoe23 05-07-08 12:43 PM

I know of one actor who is hoping for a meaty role:

RichC2 05-07-08 12:49 PM

The first movie was alright, I didn't really like the tone/atmosphere of it in spots (one of the few times where its stood out as a negative).

I can see potential for a sequel, but would need to see a trailer first.

hardercore 05-07-08 03:55 PM

Thought the first movie was great. I don't know where they'd take another, but I'll keep tabs on this.

NoirFan 09-06-08 02:27 PM

From slashfilm:

Speaking at the Toronto Film Festival to promote Miracle at St. Anna, Spike Lee has confirmed that plans for a sequel to his 2006 film Inside Man are in motion, with Terry George in negotiations to write the script. Lee plans on returning to direct the sequel, tentatively and creatively titled Inside Man 2....According to Lee, the movie may feature the same characters from Inside Man, with Denzel Washington and Clive Owen reportedly interested in reprising their roles. The new film would develop their relationship further, but in a different standoff-like situation.

RyoHazuki 09-06-08 02:32 PM

If Spike needs the money, why not just do another Nike ad? Inside Man really didn't need a sequel.

PopcornTreeCt 09-06-08 02:36 PM

I think it's a very overrated movie. Hailed as one of the most clever bank robbery movies, well it could've been maybe, if it didn't have all those cuts where Denzel was interviewing the hostages. And if it actually focused on the robbery and not Jodie Foster's role and Christopher Plummer's nazi gold storyline.

Make the sequel only about Owen and Denzel and only about the actual robbery and maybe I'll see it.

Zen Peckinpah 09-06-08 02:58 PM

I really thought this was going to turn out not so good midway through with the frequent flash-forwards, but the film's final 30-40 minutes justified it and ended up having a killer twist. Though I'd rather not have a sequel as the last scene was ambiguous and obvious enough to leave the segueing actions to the imagination.

Also, Washington's got the Taking of Pelham One Two Three remake next summer, which has him in a very similar role and situation. Though, as I said in another thread, if he doesn't sway more towards the Inside Man persona and instead aims more for being the uber-badass he was in Man on Fire, it'll probably be pretty good.

RTisBetter 09-06-08 07:07 PM

I'll take Sequels Nobody Fucking Asked For for $100, Alex.

invisiblegt 09-06-08 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt (Post 8922276)
I think it's a very overrated movie. Hailed as one of the most clever bank robbery movies, well it could've been maybe, if it didn't have all those cuts where Denzel was interviewing the hostages. And if it actually focused on the robbery and not Jodie Foster's role and Christopher Plummer's nazi gold storyline.

Make the sequel only about Owen and Denzel and only about the actual robbery and maybe I'll see it.

Wait, Jodie Foster was in it? Oh, that's right, her character amounted to a few minutes of meaningless dialogue.

This was one of the more overrated movies to come around in quite a long time. The "twist" itself was thinly veiled, and poorly executed. Beyond Chiwetal Eijefor (I am fairly certain I butchered the spelling, but do not feel like looking it up), whom I have enjoyed immensely since Love, Actually (and whom further cemented my affection for him in Kinky Boots), the movie was a very weak presentation all around.

mhg83 09-06-08 09:37 PM

An inside man sequel feels like it should be direct to video. It'll most likely do well the first weekend if they get denzel back. I'm predicting a $45 mil. opening followed by a huge drop.

Apone 09-06-08 11:32 PM

I enjoyed Inside Man but a sequel? I will rent it.

Finisher 09-06-08 11:46 PM

I love heist flicks but Inside Man was average at best and extremely overrated.

abe55 09-06-08 11:51 PM

Inside Man>>>>>>>>>The Departed.

chris_sc77 09-07-08 02:37 AM

I agree that Inside Man was better than the Departed although they were entirely different films and not really comparable.
Inside Man is just a great film. Its what happens when the studio system works and all the elements are in place. The cast, the characters, the screenplay, the director, etc. Its an entirely enjoyable interesting film that keeps you guessing but never insults your intelligence. Also, Spike Lee does not get enough credit for that film. He brought a lot to that film and it would not have been the same if it was directed by another. Stylistically it is unique and easily identifiable as a Lee work but it was also a nice change of pace in terms of some of the stories Spike has told before.

RTisBetter 09-07-08 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by Finisher (Post 8922957)
I love heist flicks but Inside Man was average at best and extremely overrated.

The acting throughout the film is what hurts it for me. Not the performances from any of the leads, they were all terrific, but the ones from the actors playing any one of the hostages. The regular, everyday characters. They were all mostly played by unknowns and they pretty much all sucked.