Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

El Camino: A Breaking Bad Movie (2019, D: Gilligan) — S: Aaron Paul

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

El Camino: A Breaking Bad Movie (2019, D: Gilligan) — S: Aaron Paul

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-19, 04:07 PM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts
re: El Camino: A Breaking Bad Movie (2019, D: Gilligan) — S: Aaron Paul

RUMOR

Breaking Bad is one of those series that has a permanent residence on many people’s “Best TV Shows Ever” lists. Similar to series like The Wire, The Sopranos, and Game of Thrones, it’s considered a landmark achievement. That’s why it was such a big deal last November when we learned of the mysterious project called Greenbrier.

The project was said to be a film set in the Breaking Bad universe, but it quickly became clear that it was much more than that- as the very next day it was revealed that Aaron Paul would return to lead the film because it would center on the continued (mis)adventures of one Jesse Pinkman.

And since then, things have been quiet…until now.

See, we are big Breaking Bad fans here at Revenge of The Fans, and it doesn’t take much to get people like myself or Associate Editor Matt Vernier to wax philosophical about Vince Gilligan’s master work (or it’s equally great prequel Better Call Saul), so I had to do some digging…

One of the biggest questions I had centered on the cast. After all, Greenbrier (or whatever it ends up being called) is said to be a sequel to the series and would pick up after Jesse’s escape at the end of the final episode. So with that in mind, I wanted to know if Paul was the only actor returning.

Turns out, he’s not. And that seems to have some major implications about the way Gilligan is approaching this story.

Now, before I reveal the names I discovered on the official cast list for Greenbrier, I’m going to warn you that this could be considered *SPOILERISH* since I don’t know what capacity they’ll appear in the movie in.

So take a moment to consider that warning before you read on.

…..

….

Spoiler:

Okay, still here? Good.

The cast of Greenbrier includes several key Breaking Bad players, including Jonathan Banks (Mike), Jesse Plemons (Todd), Charles Baker (Skinny Pete), Matt Jones (Badger), Robert Forster (Ed, aka The Disappearer), Tess Harper (Mrs. Pinkman), and Kevin Rankin (Kenny).

And as cool (and as potentially revealing) as some of those names are, the two names sure to excite Breaking Bad fans are Krysten Ritter, and “Mr. White” himself, Bryan Cranston!

That’s right, folks. Not only will the story find a way bring back Ritter’s Jane- with whom Jesse had a tragic love affair way back during the show’s first season- but series star Cranston is set to play some sort of role in the new film as well. This, despite both characters having met their ends on the show.

“If Vince Gilligan asked me to do it, sure, absolutely. He’s a genius,” Cranston said on The Dan Patrick Show last November when asked if he’d return to the iconic role. And he was already quite aware of the project when asked about it. “It’s a great story, and there’s a lot of people who felt that they wanted to see some sort of completion to some of these storylines that were left open.“

This idea of giving closure to some of the characters and arcs that were left hanging seems to be a key motivator for the story of Greenbrier– which explains the abundance of returning characters we haven’t seen or heard from in ages.

“This idea, from what I was told, gets into at least a couple of the characters who were not completed as far as their journey,” Cranston stated at the time. “I can’t wait to see all those people again…even if I just come by to visit!” he coyly concluded.

At this time, I don’t know any plot details, so anything beyond this point is mere speculation.

But when you consider Cranston’s remarks about bringing closure to older arcs, and when you consider the impact both Walter White and Jane Margolis had on Jesse, I think it’s fair to assume that there will be ample flashbacks in Greenbrier. And considering we haven’t seen Cranston walking around with a shaved head as he promotes The Upside, I think it’s another safe bet that whatever scene he’s in takes place in the very early days of Jesse and Walter’s collaboration. But who knows? Maybe they got him a very convincing bald cap.

We shall see.

Another option, floated to me by Matt when we were discussing this story, is that perhaps Jesse is haunted by his past. Surely, the decision to join Mr. White on his insane venture as a maker and distributor of meth took a huge toll on his life and cost him many relationships and loved ones. Now, as he tries to return to a life of normalcy after escaping his captors, maybe he has dreams or visions that involve Walter and Jane.

The fact they brought back Forster, who plays a mysterious figure that helps people disappear and start new lives, is also very telling of where the story is heading.

There are many possibilities for how this will go, and I can’t wait to see this film- which is written and directed by Gilligan.

Lastly, the cast also includes some interesting connections to Better Call Saul– with some actors appearing in Greenbrier who never appeared on Breaking Bad. So I would expect that to mean this movie will intersect with an upcoming season of the Saul spinoff- which takes place both in the past and the future with regard to the events depicted on Breaking Bad.

I won’t reveal who, because I think we’ve covered enough *SPOILERISH* material for one day. But it’s cool to see how this film aims to combine all kinds of threads from every facet of the Breaking Bad universe.

This thing’s going to be really special, folks.

https://revengeofthefans.com/2019/01...whats-it-mean/
Old 01-24-19, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,200 Likes on 4,227 Posts

Oh yeah, go ahead and take my money now!
Old 01-24-19, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,889 Posts

I hope they call it The Many Saints of Albuquerque.
Old 01-25-19, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Can't see what this would be about unless Walt survived & they just pick up where they left off.
Old 01-25-19, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by JZ1276
Can't see what this would be about unless Walt survived & they just pick up where they left off.
It's about Jesse.
Old 01-25-19, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Will be interesting to see what happens when they condense the story into a movie. One of the most notable things about Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul is how much time they can take drawing you in.
Old 02-13-19, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Old 02-13-19, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

I’m really curious what this will actually be about. I mean obviously it’s a follow-up to the Jesse character, but I wonder if we’ll see Skyler, Walt Jr., and Maria as well. I would sort of think so, but Walt’s part of the story is over and there’s really not a lot of reason for Jesse to cross paths w
Old 02-13-19, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I’m really curious what this will actually be about. I mean obviously I know it’s a follow-up to the Jesse character, but I wonder if we’ll see Skyler, Walt Jr., and Maria as well. I would sort of think so, but Walt’s part of the story is over and there’s really not a lot of reason for Jesse to cross paths with them.
Old 02-14-19, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
I’m really curious what this will actually be about. I mean obviously it’s a follow-up to the Jesse character, but I wonder if we’ll see Skyler, Walt Jr., and Maria as well. I would sort of think so, but Walt’s part of the story is over and there’s really not a lot of reason for Jesse to cross paths w
I’m really curious what this will actually be about. I mean obviously I know it’s a follow-up to the Jesse character, but I wonder if we’ll see Skyler, Walt Jr., and Maria as well. I would sort of think so, but Walt’s part of the story is over and there’s really not a lot of reason for Jesse to cross paths with them.
You are really curious!!
Old 02-14-19, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

We do not know for a fact that Walt died.
Old 02-14-19, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JZ1276
We do not know for a fact that Walt died.
I’m fairly positive he did and I think it would be pretty damn stupid to bring him back. I really don’t see him returning. I think that would be a total cop out to the ending of the series. Truthfully part of me still thinks even this film following Jesse after the events of the finale is unnecessary.
Old 02-15-19, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,028 Likes on 727 Posts

As much as I'd like to see more of Walt, it will feel a bit cheap if he's not dead.

On a different note, wouldn't it make more sense for this thread be in the TV Talk section?

I realize this is a movie, but it's not going to be a theatrical release, and any other BB discussion takes place in the TV Talk forum.
Old 02-15-19, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I really feel like Walt returning would ruin the end of his arc and the series. I have a hard time thinking anyone involved would think otherwise. Outside of a flashback to when he was younger or maybe to a scene we didn’t see that took place within the series as a flashback I wouldn’t want him to return.
Old 02-17-19, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 221 Likes on 177 Posts

I also have zero interest in having Walt returning, somehow still among the living. Flashbacks? Definitely. As far as the movie itself, I had my doubts when Better Call Saul was announced, but that show has been great. I have faith in whatever comes out of the movie.
Old 06-25-19, 02:22 PM

Hmm....

Or maybe for BCS...?

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Old 06-25-19, 02:35 PM

Hmmm. Is Peter Gould involved in the movie?
I really don't want Cranston to ever appear in BCS. Especially with the movie in the works
Old 07-02-19, 12:15 PM

Old 07-02-19, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

My guess is Walt will show up in some kind of drug-induced vision or dream sequence to talk to Jesse about how he's screwing up his life or something along those lines.
Old 07-09-19, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

So Paul and Cranston were just teasing a new liquor brand.

https://www.indiewire.com/2019/07/aa...ie-1202156525/
Old 07-09-19, 02:10 PM

I don't think I have ever been more disappointed.
Old 08-22-19, 04:20 AM
Banned

Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts

https://movieweb.com/breaking-bad-mo...-bob-odenkirk/

Breaking Bad Movie Has Been Shot, Bob Odenkirk Surprised It's Still a Secret

August 21, 2019

Bob Odenkirk is excited for the upcoming Breaking Bad Movie. So far, nobody has come out and said that the movie is actually officially happening, but Odenkirk had no problem talking about it during a recent interview. The Better Call Saul star is getting fans hyped for the upcoming season 5 where he promises everything is ramping up. However, the discussion always leads back to the original show and the highly secretive movie, which was shot in and around the New Mexico area, using many of the same sets from the original Breaking Bad run.

The Breaking Bad movie is expected to premiere on AMC and Netflix sometime next year. Other than that, we've been in the dark. When asked about the movie, Bob Odenkirk said, "I've heard so many different things about it, but I am excited about the Breaking Bad movie. I can't wait to see it." As for now, it is believed that the movie centers on Jesse Pinkman and the aftermath of the final episode of the hit AMC series. Odenkirk had this to say about the secrecy surrounding the movie.

Aaron Paul is starring in the Breaking Bad movie, but he has kept his mouth shut about the project over the last several months, even going as far as to take a social media break when production began. It didn't take long for diehard fans to notice production crews set up all around the now-famous set locations of the original show in the New Mexico area, which quickly saw pictures find their way on social media. While details are fuzzy at the moment, the excitement is starting to build.

Bryan Cranston has pretty much confirmed the Breaking Bad movie without ever explicitly saying anything. Cranston and Arron Paul have had been on the same responses when asked about the secret movie, noting they "haven't" hear about it, but they'd "love" to be a part of it, should it come into fruition. While Paul's role is confirmed, fans are still waiting to hear if Cranston's infamous Walter White makes a return. The two actors were recently teasing something big on social media, but it ended up being for their joint effort Dos Hombres Mezcal.

As for how Bryan Cranston could make a comeback, most Breaking Bad fan are in agreement that it would have to be through flashbacks. This makes the most sense since it looks like White died during the last episode to let Jesse Pinkman escape. Regardless, even if Cranston isn't involved, we're all about to get some much needed closure on the Pinkman story, which is something fans have wondered about ever since the show came to an end in September 2013. Hopefully some more news about the Breaking Bad movie will be announced soon. Until then, you can check out the interview with Bob Odenkirk over at The Hollywood Reporter.
Old 08-24-19, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

I would've much rather got season 5 of Better Call Saul this year than a Breaking Bad movie. The movie could have waited until BCS was done. Jonathan Banks isn't getting any younger.
Old 08-24-19, 02:26 AM

Originally Posted by rennervision
I would've much rather got season 5 of Better Call Saul this year than a Breaking Bad movie. The movie could have waited until BCS was done. Jonathan Banks isn't getting any younger.
I think this was a Hiatus project not affecting the BCS shooting schedule Doesn't seem like Vince Gilligan is involved with BCS much at all any more.
Old 08-24-19, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This is coming to Netflix on October 11th. Pretty unexpected that it’s coming so soon.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.