Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

El Camino: A Breaking Bad Movie (2019, D: Gilligan) — S: Aaron Paul

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-18, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/li...-works-1158881

It's unclear if the two-hour project will be released theatrically or made for television.
A new chapter in Breaking Bad is in the works.

Sources tell The Hollywood Reporter that Breaking Bad creator Vince Gilligan is working on a two-hour movie, though it remains unclear if that will be released theatrically or made for television.

Representatives for Gilligan and Breaking Bad producers Sony Pictures Television did not immediately respond to THR's requests for comment.

Details on the project, which has been floating around the industry with a possible fake/working title of Greenbrier, are slim. It's unclear if the movie would be another prequel — like AMC's Better Call Saul — or a follow-up of some sort. It's also unclear is if any of the original stars, such as Bryan Cranston or Aaron Paul, are involved in the new project, which sources stress will be set in the existing Breaking Bad franchise.

Gilligan, sources say, will pen the script, executive produce and possibly direct. Breaking Bad and prequel series Better Call Saul exec producers Mark Johnson and Melissa Bernstein are also said to be attached to the film project, which is said to follow the escape of a kidnapped man and his quest for freedom. Production is expected to begin this month in New Mexico. The New Mexico Film Office confirmed that a project with the title of Greenbrier is slated to shoot in in the region.

Breaking Bad became a critical breakout for AMC and ran for five seasons. AMC and producers Sony TV quickly greenlighted the prequel Better Call Saul as Gilligan's follow-up series. Saul, featuring Bob Odenkirk's small-time lawyer, has been renewed for a fifth season, which set to air in 2019.

The Breaking Bad movie would mark Gilligan's first project to stem from the new three-year overall deal he signed with Sony TV in July. Sources said the pact is valued at less than $50 million as Gilligan is not in the same volume space as producers like Shonda Rhimes and Ryan Murphy, who both signed nine-figure deals with Netflix.

A Breaking Bad film (of any sort) would be a boon for Sony TV, which, as an independent studio, has been fighting an uphill battle in an era when ownership has become increasingly important.

Gilligan's new deal keeps one of television's most respected showrunners in the business at the studio, which continues to focus on cable and streaming deals after a dismal upfront season in which it landed one new series on the five broadcast networks.
Old 11-06-18, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts
re: El Camino: A Breaking Bad Movie (2019, D: Gilligan) — S: Aaron Paul

As much as I like the series I don’t see why this is necessary. Better Call Saul is already filling in a lot of things from before the series. I don’t think I’d really want a follow up either.
Old 11-06-18, 09:51 PM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

It’ll probably be an exclusive to an eventual AMC app. Just like TWD movies.
Old 11-06-18, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,028 Likes on 727 Posts

Whatever it is, I'm in!

Although, I'm quite puzzled how a BB movie can be about someone that's kidnapped, and escapes.
Old 11-06-18, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

Somebody kidnapped and escapes = Jesse
Old 11-07-18, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,028 Likes on 727 Posts

I thought about that, but I considered that he was enslaved, rather than kidnapped.
Old 11-07-18, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

Walt Jr. is kidnapped by the cartel. Only Jesse can break him out. Walt appears as a ghost to Jesse à la Dexter.
Old 11-07-18, 01:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts

I'd much rather Gilligan used his talents for something new and exciting.
Breaking Bad ended fine. Better Call Saul will do the same. Move on, man!
Old 11-07-18, 01:59 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

I dunno how I feel about this or the sudden desire AMC seems to have with giving their shows movies no one asked for.
Old 11-07-18, 05:05 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Gilian is an amazing writer, im sure he can come up with a great story using new or existing characters from Breaking Bad and be its own side adventure in that universe
Old 11-07-18, 06:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 251 Likes on 186 Posts

I'm down for a 3 hour Sergio Leone style epic staring Badger and Skinny Pete.
Old 11-07-18, 08:08 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

Yeah, not sure how I feel about this either. I'd rather Vince scrap this idea and become more involved in the next season of BCS.
Old 11-07-18, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

I guess I am alone in thinking this could be good.

If I had to guess:

It will be a 2 hour movie that will cap off BOTH Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul. I see it being set in the future, with Cinnabon Saul, and maybe we find out that Walter is not quite as dead as we thought. It would feel like a slight retcon but I believe Gilligan has stated Walter is not dead.
Old 11-07-18, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk God

Deadline said last night that Gilligan is directing and this will go into production in the middle of this month and film through February. So it's definitely happening, but we don't know any specific details otherwise.
Old 11-07-18, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by johnnysd
I guess I am alone in thinking this could be good.

If I had to guess:

It will be a 2 hour movie that will cap off BOTH Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul. I see it being set in the future, with Cinnabon Saul, and maybe we find out that Walter is not quite as dead as we thought. It would feel like a slight retcon but I believe Gilligan has stated Walter is not dead.
No way that is happening. Walt being alive would be an awful idea.
Old 11-07-18, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk God

https://uproxx.com/tv/breaking-bad-m...FbDHmiw6PdL8mk

Cranston is busy rehearsing a play on Broadway and hasn't read the script, but confirms it's real. He says he would appear in it if asked.
Old 11-07-18, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya
https://uproxx.com/tv/breaking-bad-m...FbDHmiw6PdL8mk

Cranston is busy rehearsing a play on Broadway and hasn't read the script, but confirms it's real. He says he would appear in it if asked.
I will be seeing that play in two weeks.
Old 11-07-18, 12:53 PM

Exclusive: The ‘Breaking Bad’ Movie Will Be a Sequel Following Jesse After the Series Finale, Aaron Paul to Return
https://www.slashfilm.com/breaking-b...jesse-pinkman/

Last night, we learned that series creator Vince Gilligan was writing and executive producing a Breaking Bad movie, although it is unknown if he will also direct. It was also suggested that this will be a television movie, as it is being make through Gilligan’s deal with Sony TV, who produced the original show (which aired on AMC). There was even the briefest of brief loglines: the movie would “[track] the escape of a kidnapped man and his quest for freedom.”

And yes, Breaking Bad fans, you put two and two together correctly: we have confirmed that the kidnapped man is Jesse Pinkman and the movie will follow his escape from Albuquerque following the bloody events of the series finale. Naturally, Aaron Paul is set to reprise the role, which won him three Emmy awards for Best Supporting Actor in a Drama Series.

Last edited by dex14; 11-07-18 at 01:01 PM.
Old 11-07-18, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The idea of seeing what happens next with Jesse is somewhat interesting, but I feel like the finale we got is a fitting end to the series. Not sure if seeing what’s next for Jesse is actually necessary. Kind of feels like a less is more situation and I’d rather just imagine what happened next instead of seeing it. I’ll watch it either way and at least Gilligan is writing and directing. I was skeptical on Better Call Saul at first too, but it’s turned out to be a good addition to the Breaking Bad universe.
Old 11-07-18, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts

I agree that less is more. But with Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul, they really don’t do that. Every character’s origin is shown, secret moments beteeen characters are revealed to outsiders, there’s a clear camera pan to the plant Walt used on Brock, etc.
Old 11-07-18, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I'd rather a 2 hour AMC movie than another series.

If anything, maybe it will finally get all involved to do the same for The Shield.
Old 11-07-18, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Could be cool, or could be the first 3 episodes of Season 3 as a movie.
Old 11-07-18, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by bluetoast
I agree that less is more. But with Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul, they really don’t do that. Every character’s origin is shown, secret moments beteeen characters are revealed to outsiders, there’s a clear camera pan to the plant Walt used on Brock, etc.
That’s true. I just hope they don’t ruin the ending by trying to tack on more. I feel like the series had a really strong run all throughout, and including the finale. Just not sure this is something that’s necessary.
Old 11-07-18, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Keep fucking that chicken.
Old 11-08-18, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 393 Likes on 281 Posts

I'm down with a little more story on Jessie but I could care less about walt Jr or Skyler at this point.

I tried to rewatch BB recently and found the first few episodes difficult to watch this time through as I was instantly irritated at the site of Skyler and Jr. knowing how things turn out in a few seasons, kind of took the fun out of rewatching for me although I had watched the series a couple of times in the past... maybe I was just in the wrong mood to watch...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.