Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Shrek 5

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-18, 09:43 AM

Received 4,579 Likes on 3,099 Posts
Shrek 5

“Shrek” and “Puss in Boots” are getting rebooted and Chris Meledandri, the man behind “Despicable Me,” is overseeing their revival.

Universal Pictures has tasked Meledandri with finding some fresh story lines to reintroduce the lovable ogre and the sword-wielding feline to new generations of moviegoers. One thing the animation guru doesn’t want to mess with is with the vocal performances. Part of the popularity of “Shrek” is attributable to a voice cast that included Mike Myers, Eddie Murphy and Antonio Banderas, and in a lengthy profile in Variety, Meledandri says he would like to get the band back together.

“When you look back on those vocal performances they’re awesome, and while you certainly could make a case for a complete reinvention, I find myself responding to my own nostalgic feelings of wanting to go back to those characterizations,” explains Meledandri. “The challenge for us has been to find something that really does feel like it’s not simply yet another film in a series of sequels.”

The move comes after the studio’s parent company, Comcast, bought DreamWorks Animation, the studio behind “Shrek,” in 2016 for $3.8 billion. Initially, there had been speculation that Meledandri, whose Illumination Entertainment is co-owned by Universal, would be asked to oversee DreamWorks Entertainment. However, Meledandri says he came to feel that he couldn’t manage the two companies and still maintain the same level of quality in the films he makes.

“The way in which I work with my team to make movies is very intensive and hands-on, and it really doesn’t allow me the opportunity to think about running a second operation,” says Meledandri. “I love the process of making films and working with artists. I don’t think I’m particularly great at managing companies.”

Even though he hasn’t cracked the code on “Shrek,” Meledandri sounds confident that it’s only a matter of time before moviegoers get to revisit the magical fairy tale setting that made the original movies such a treat.

“There’s a tremendous amount of fun to be had in that world, but it’s a high bar to find a story that’s truly world,” said Meledandri. “You want to find something in the narrative that really feels like a departure.”

Illumination’s next film, “The Grinch,” opens in theaters
https://variety.com/2018/film/news/s...B4yYNBTfI2U_qg
Old 11-06-18, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
re: Shrek 5

There was and still is potential behind the brand, but man #3 and #4 were awful.
Old 11-06-18, 11:37 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Maybe Shrek can make an obvious reference to the Wayne's World movie and deliver it directly to the camera.
Old 11-06-18, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 723 Likes on 590 Posts

A revival when the last movie came out in 2010 ?
Old 11-06-18, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,202 Likes on 2,067 Posts

I remember liking the Puss in Boots character when he was in Shrek 2 and severely disliking the Puss in Boots stand alone film. He’s definitely a “less is more” character.

I stopped watching Shrek after part 2. I never cared for the franchise and have always felt it was a missed opportunity to poke fun at fairy tales since the first movie. It looked like it was going to really hit it out of the park at the beginning of the first movie but quickly lost me when they basically dropped all the fairy tale characters for the Shrek and Donkey show.
Old 11-06-18, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,462 Likes on 930 Posts

"...simply yet another film in a series of sequels." Couldn't have said it better myself.

Investors believe that there is still a bit of daylight between running the concept and the ground.
Old 11-06-18, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,244 Likes on 855 Posts

Can we get some consistency and clarity on the definitions of “reboot”, “revival”, “sequel”, etc.?

I’m down for another Shrek SEQUEL. (Why in the hell did my iPhone want to auto-correct “Shrek” to “Aaron Rodgers”? Seriously!)
Old 04-04-23, 08:54 AM

Received 4,579 Likes on 3,099 Posts
Re: Shrek 5

Even as Chris Meledandri prepares to launch Mario onto movie screens, the Illumination founder and CEO is simultaneously juggling several new movies and sequels in his ever-expanding animation empire. These range from follow-ups to his “Sing,” “Despicable Me” and “Secret Life of Pets” franchises, as well as original movies like this fall’s “Migration,” the story of a family of ducks who live in a pond in New England and no longer have to migrate because the winters are milder. But before all that, there’s “The Super Mario Bros. Movie,” which is expected to achieve box office domination when it opens on April 5.

Beyond running Illumination, Meledandri, who sat down with Variety with Nintendo’s Shigeru Miyamoto for this week’s cover story on the making of “The Super Mario Bros. Movie,” also serves as a creative partner to DreamWorks Animation as it looks to reboot the “Shrek” franchise. In that capacity, he’s pushed to bring back the film’s original voice cast which includes Mike Myers, Cameron Diaz and Eddie Murphy for “Shrek 5.”

“It’s not that dissimilar to the process that we went through with ‘Mario,’ where you look at what the core elements are that audiences have loved, and you do your very best to honor those core elements,” Meledandri said. “And then you’re hard at work to build story elements and new characters that take you to brand new places. The original cast is a huge part of that.”

Though no deals are in place, he said negotiations with the actors are going well. “We anticipate the cast coming back. Talks are starting now, and every indication that we’ve gotten is there’s tremendous enthusiasm on behalf of the actors to return,” he said.

And Meledandri has good reason to be optimistic. Following the success of the 2022 “Shrek” spinoff sequel “Puss in Boots: The Last Wish,” Murphy said in January, “If [DreamWorks] ever came with another ‘Shrek,’ I’d do it in two seconds. I love Donkey. They did ‘Puss in Boots’ movies. I was like, ‘They should have done a Donkey movie.’ Donkey is funnier than Puss in Boots. I mean, I love Puss in Boots, but he ain’t funny as the Donkey.”

Meledandri said he was “thrilled” when he read Murphy’s comments, adding, “It’s evidence of his strong enthusiasm for a role that he so brilliantly inhabited and really created alongside the artists at DreamWorks. I found that comment to be very exciting.”

When asked if he thought Donkey was a character that could support its own film, similar to the fighting feline spinoffs starring Antonio Banderas, Meledandri answered, “Without question.”
https://variety.com/2023/film/news/s...ls-1235571967/