DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Downhill -- Force Majeure remake (2020, D: Rash/Faxon) S: Ferrell, Louis-Dreyfus (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/645728-downhill-force-majeure-remake-2020-d-rash-faxon-s-ferrell-louis-dreyfus.html)

dex14 03-27-15 05:17 PM

Downhill -- Force Majeure remake (2020, D: Rash/Faxon) S: Ferrell, Louis-Dreyfus

Julia Louis-Dreyfus in Talks to Star in 'Force Majeure' Remake:
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...ks-star-784798

dex14 11-03-18 08:28 AM

re: Downhill -- Force Majeure remake (2020, D: Rash/Faxon) S: Ferrell, Louis-Dreyfus

EXCLUSIVE: Will Ferrell is attached to star with Julia Louis-Dreyfus in Downhill, Fox Searchlight’s remake of Ruben Ostlund’s acclaimed Swedish drama-comedy Force Majeure. Oscar winners Nat Faxon and Jim Rash (The Descendants) have come on board to direct.

The biting comedy will chart how a narrow avalanche escape during a ski vacation in the Alps throws a seemingly picture-perfect family into disarray as they are forced to reevaluate life, and how they truly feel about each other. Shoot is due to get underway in Austria in early 2019. Casting is underway on supporting roles.

Seinfeld and Veep star Dreyfus is producing with Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind and Foxcatcher producer Anthony Bregman, from Jesse Armstrong’s (Four Lions) script. Executive producers are Stefanie Azpiazu, Ostlund and Erik Hemmendorff.

The acclaimed 2014 original won the Cannes Un Certain Regard Jury Prize, cleaned up at the Swedish version of the Oscars and was nominated for a Golden Globe. It kicked Swedish filmmaker Ostlund’s career into another gear; he then went on to make Palme d’Or-winner The Square. Both films took more than $1 million at the U.S. box office, no mean feat for Scandi-language dramas.

Downhill reunites Searchlight with actor-writer-directors Faxon and Rash with whom they worked on George Clooney’s comedy-drama The Descendants and 2013 pic The Way Way Back, the duo’s directorial debut. It also re-teams them with Louis-Dreyfus in her first film since 2013 comedy-drama Enough Said, which was produced by Azpiazu and Bregman. Anchorman and Daddy’s Home star Ferrell will next be seen in comedy Holmes & Watson alongside his Talladega Nights and Step Brothers co-star John C Reilly.

“Obviously, Searchlight is like family at this point. We’re honored to be working with them for a third time. But, to also have our paths cross with Julia, and a fellow Groundling alum in Will, makes this all the more special and exciting for us,” Faxon and Rash told Deadline.

“Downhill is a tale of bad judgment and moral weakness, so how fitting that Julia Louis-Dreyfus and Will Ferrell embody those values. Nat Faxon and Jim Rash, of course, are more than qualified to capture the fallout,” added producer Bregman.

“We’re thrilled to once again be working with the inimitable duo of Nat Faxon and Jim Rash. And it goes without saying that bringing Julia Louis-Dreyfus and Will Ferrell together for the first time on screen is a dream come true. The Austrian alps are in for a comedic avalanche,” commented David Greenbaum and Matthew Greenfield, Fox Searchlight Pictures’ presidents of Production, Film and Television.

https://deadline.com/2018/11/will-fe...sh-1202494713/

dex14 12-20-19 07:52 AM

re: Downhill -- Force Majeure remake (2020, D: Rash/Faxon) S: Ferrell, Louis-Dreyfus

Downhill is the English language remake of Ruben Östlund’s critically-acclaimed 2014 Swedish film Force Majeure, about a family ski trip that turns into a nightmare. After the husband (Ferrell) chooses flight instead of fight and abandons his family during an avalanche, that one panicked moment of running away changes everything as the family is forced to stew in the aftermath of his decision to jump ship instead of helping to protect them. There’s definitely trouble in (snowy) paradise.

The remake is directed by Nat Faxon and Jim Rash (The Way, Way Back, The Descendants), who also wrote the script along with Succession’s Jesse Armstrong.

Downhill hits theaters Feb. 14, 2020.

DWilson 12-20-19 08:43 AM

Re: Downhill -- Force Majeure remake (2020, D: Rash/Faxon) S: Ferrell, Louis-Dreyfus

I never saw the original, but I read some of the reviews and I didn't get the idea that it was a comedy, per se. Did I misunderstand?

Mabuse 12-20-19 09:23 AM

Re: Downhill -- Force Majeure remake (2020, D: Rash/Faxon) S: Ferrell, Louis-Dreyfus

This is vastly more broad than the original. The original is a comedy only in the darkest sense. It has a starkness and loneliness akin to the early parts of Kubrick’s The Shining.

Dan 12-20-19 10:35 AM

The original is, in my opinion, a masterpiece.
I love JLD, and I like WF well enough... but I can't see this one hitting the same notes as well as the original, but I'll definitely give it a shot.

RichC2 12-20-19 11:58 AM

This definitely looks a little more broad and a little less cold than the original, which is fine in my book. The original has plenty of comedy in it but it sort of depends heavily on your outlook on life. This looks like an extended episode of Curb Your Enthusiasm with higher stakes.

But then again I like remakes but hate ones that just completely mimic the original. Looking forward to it.

dex14 01-28-20 07:42 AM

Some reviews out of Sundance: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/downhill_2020

dex14 02-12-20 03:40 PM

Opens this week. Reviews are at 50% currently.

I rewatched Force Majeure last week. Still a masterpiece.

I'm considering seeing this, but not sure if I'll have time.

dex14 02-13-20 07:48 PM

Saw it tonight. It is everything wrong with English language remakes.

TomOpus 02-13-20 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by dex14 (Post 13687808)

How would it be if one never saw the original?

Decker 02-14-20 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by dex14 (Post 13687808)

It tacks on a happy ending with Keifer Sutherland digging his way out of a grave?

Dan 02-14-20 09:05 AM

^ :lol: Nailed it, Decker

dex14 02-15-20 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by TomOpus (Post 13687914)
How would it be if one never saw the original?

It’s on Hulu (and Kanopy). Just watch that instead.

TomOpus 02-15-20 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by dex14 (Post 13688572)
It’s on Hulu (and Kanopy). Just watch that instead.

I have Kanopy so I can check it out.

DaveNinja 02-18-20 11:48 AM

Saw this on sunday. It was okay. I think it would have been better with someone other than Will Ferrel being cast as the dad

DWilson 02-18-20 01:32 PM

This feels like something that was just dumped out there for some reason. I'm surprised it didn't end up as a Netflix "premiere".

JoeySeven 02-18-20 04:58 PM

Saw this on sunday. It was okay. I think it would have been better with someone other than Will Ferrell being cast as the dad
Not a big fan of Ferrell.So unless this movie got great reviews,I'm going to pass. Plus it is a English language remake.
I just watch the original.

story 02-18-20 05:20 PM

I'm probably not going to see this, but I was surprised when I took our kids to a matinee of Jumanji: The Next Level at our local AMC, every show of Downhill was sold out. Granted it was only a 76-seat theater, but I can't recall having seeing that on the board at the box office in quite a while.

dex14 02-18-20 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by DaveNinja (Post 13689636)
Saw this on sunday. It was okay. I think it would have been better with someone other than Will Ferrel being cast as the dad

Ferrel was completely wrong for the part.

JeffTheAlpaca 08-30-20 07:02 PM

Could not find one single laugh in this movie.

Maybe Ferrell is growing out of the typical man child role he plays but this was boring.

The scene with the gloves was torture.

RichC2 08-30-20 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca (Post 13797762)
Could not find one single laugh in this movie.

Maybe Ferrell is growing out of the typical man child role he plays but this was boring.

The scene with the gloves was torture.

He recently did Eurovision which was peak manchild (I weirdly have a soft spot for that one). I think he was just miscast.