Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Night of the Living Dead sequel

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-18, 01:44 PM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

Fifty years later, a sequel is being unearthed.

A whole lot has been happening in the world of Night of the Living Dead, this year being the landmark film’s 50th anniversary and all, and we’re learned this week that Living Dead Media is next plotting the return of the original classic in the form of an official sequel!

Living Dead Media told us this week…

“Night of the Living Dead first brought zombies to the silver screen in 1968. The world was unprepared for the film’s flesh starved ghouls, which resulted in a groundbreaking and commercial success. It remains one of the most influential and revered horror films of all time and now sits in the Library of Congress and the Museum of Modern Art for its cultural significance. Written by John A. Russo and directed by George A. Romero, Night of the Living Dead created the foundation for the five Return of the Living Dead films that gave us TARMAN and his famous catch phrase “More Brains!”, popularizing brain eating zombies and defining the modern dark comedy-horror genre in the process. Romero’s Trilogy of the Dead series also owes its roots to the classic. In addition, Night of the Living Dead is not only credited with spawning a generation of zombie films, but all modern horror films.”

“That history and Night of the Living Dead’s place on the Mt. Rushmore of horror films is known by most horror fans and people all over the world. But, unknown to most is that in the 1970’s, the original writers and producers of Night of the Living Dead penned a sequel to their masterpiece. A sequel that inexplicably has gone unproduced for over forty years – until now. Living Dead Media has brushed away the dirt from this amazing follow up to a classic and brought together a great team to produce the new film.”

The plan is to release Night of the Living Dead Part II in 2019.

Much of the sequel’s details are being closely guarded for now, but we expect more soon. In the meantime, be sure to bookmark official website NightoftheLivingDead.com.
https://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/...original-team/

Last edited by dex14; 11-02-18 at 01:49 PM.
Old 11-02-18, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 608 Likes on 447 Posts
re: Night of the Living Dead sequel

I wanna think this isn't another cash-grab by the "original writers and producers", but . . .
Old 11-02-18, 02:00 PM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian T
I wanna think this isn't another cash-grab by the "original writers and producers", but . . .
George's wife was recently saying how there are like 70 scripts he left behind. I'm hoping this comes from that and not just something Jack Russo had lying around.

There's also the film that George's son is supposed to be making... I wonder if that will even happen now.
Old 11-02-18, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Wasn't Dawn of the Dead the "sequel"? Yea, this sounds like another one of those NOTLD cash grabs. Unless it's a sequel to the 1998 "remastered" version.....
Old 11-02-18, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 608 Likes on 447 Posts

Originally Posted by big e
Unless it's a sequel to the 1998 "remastered" version.....
That's exactly what crossed my mind when I read that news release.
Old 11-02-18, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,154 Likes on 901 Posts

Originally Posted by big e
Wasn't Dawn of the Dead the "sequel"? Yea, this sounds like another one of those NOTLD cash grabs. Unless it's a sequel to the 1998 "remastered" version.....
Yeah, since when is Dawn of the Dead not the official sequel? It’s not like Romero wasn’t involved with it or the other sequels that followed. Unless this is going to be like an interquel between taking place after Night but before Dawn. Seems unnecessary.
Old 11-02-18, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 223 Likes on 148 Posts

If they can bring back the original cast members, I'm all for it.
Old 11-02-18, 05:21 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Perkinsun Dzees
If they can bring back the original cast members, I'm all for it.
Who would it follow? The posse at the end?
Old 11-02-18, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

Not only is there Dawn, but Return of the Living Dead is supposed to be a sequel to Night as well.
Old 11-02-18, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts

I know they are, but I never really viewed Dawn and Day as actual sequels to NOTLD. The only continuity is zombies and maybe some minor references.

I wanted to say I am not interested ... but I am intrigued. If this was written way back when, I am curious if it has the same sensibilities as the original. I never felt Dawn and Day did.
Old 11-02-18, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,403 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
I know they are, but I never really viewed Dawn and Day as actual sequels to NOTLD. The only continuity is zombies and maybe some minor references.

I wanted to say I am not interested ... but I am intrigued. If this was written way back when, I am curious if it has the same sensibilities as the original. I never felt Dawn and Day did.
That's actually an interesting take. As good as Dawn is, and as blatantly obviously it is as a sequel to Night, it has a vastly different feel. Not like Empire Strikes Back after A New Hope, more like a Daniel Craig Bond movie after a Sean Connery Bond movie. Both are good, but on totally different frequencies.

If they can capture that original tone then this might be worth watching.
Old 11-02-18, 08:51 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

i don't get it. the original trilogy was all interrelated i thought. this is just a cash grab and seems so unnecessary. even the Dawn remake could be seen as sequel. no. let Romero RIP.
Old 11-02-18, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Return of the Living Dead will always be the official sequel in my head cannon.
Old 11-02-18, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Location: Formerly known as L. Ron zyzzle - On a cloud of Judgement
Received 1,823 Likes on 1,224 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
interquel
o my god is this a word now
Old 11-02-18, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Kurtie Dee
o my god is this a word now
I just used it but don't think it actually is.
Old 11-03-18, 07:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 246 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian T
Originally Posted by dex14
George's wife was recently saying how there are like 70 scripts he left behind. I'm hoping this comes from that and not just something Jack Russo had lying around.

There's also the film that George's son is supposed to be making... I wonder if that will even happen now.
Off topic. I wonder if Stephen King has about 20 finished novels squirreled away for his family to release after he's gone. They drop them one per year for a steady income. Financial security for his kids and grandkids.
Old 11-03-18, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I’m sure a lot of writers and musicians especially have unpublished or unrecorded works. Especially with musicians, look at all the never before released tracks or alternate cuts/demos that often follow an artists death. Problem is that it may not all be finished work which is problematic especially for releasing new material from an author.
Old 11-03-18, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

This is hilarious.

So the recent Halloween film, which is a reboot of 1981's Halloween II and ignores the other eight sequels and Rob Zombie's two reboots, makes a serious profit, and now other studios/producers take this as evidence that the public is clamoring for more "interquels."

Langenkamp is testing the waters to get interest in a remake/reboot/reimagining of Nightmare On Elm Street 2.

And now the NOTLD owners are putting this bullshit out there that their finally producing the official sequel to George Romero's Night of the Living Dead.
How much more official can George Romero's Dawn of the Dead be as a sequel to the original?

And didn't Romero co-write the original?
Old 11-03-18, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well I think that goes to show how dumb it was to reboot all of those films while people like Robert Englund were still alive. This a fandom that spends money to go to conventions and take pictures with guys like Kane Hodder choking them. They can tell the difference between a cash grab and a passion project.
Old 11-03-18, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This one is quite a but different though. Romero was making new Dead films pretty much up to his death that were all still sequels.

This just sounds like a cash in on the success of Halloween when in reality there have been sequels to Night of the Living Dead and Romero worked on them. There were spinoffs/remakes too but they were alongside the films he was making.

As far as someone like Englund, I could swear that up until that recent news he had said not too long ago that he felt he was too old to reprise Freddy or something like that. Kane Hodder I could see back as Jason as he's still in relatively good shape and is younger than Englund.
Old 11-03-18, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well the difference is that Romero is a creative and Englund is an actor. It was the studio that thought it'd be a good idea to take the original story and put a new cast in it. I'm sure he would have appreciated the work back in 2010 when the remake came out.

But any Dead film without Romero's involvement would feel like a cash grab. It's not like there's any sense of continuity through his Dead films, in terms of characters or even thematically. They're all quite different in tone. If you want to make a zombie movie, make a zombie movie.

Any time a low budget movie makes $200 million you're going to have producers attempt to emulate that. But I also think this is a case of actors who made what they thought would be a shitty horror movie and when it turned out to be a hit they wanted to try new things creatively, which is understandable. But then 30 years later you look back and realize A Nightmare on Elm Street has retained more relevance and impact than anything else in your career, and you yearn a bit for that nostalgia. Yes there's a huge element of cashing in getting a paycheck, but I think it's also possible that Langenkamp wants to return to the franchise in an attempt to give the fans something she believes they'd enjoy.
Old 11-03-18, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe

But any Dead film without Romero's involvement would feel like a cash grab. It's not like there's any sense of continuity through his Dead films, in terms of characters or even thematically. They're all quite different in tone. If you want to make a zombie movie, make a zombie movie.
I completely agree.

Romero made many "sequels," nearly all are fun...one is even a Masterpiece of Horror (Dawn of the Dead).
Essentially, every zombie film after Night of the Living Dead is a sequel.
Romero's film laid the foundation for future zombie movies...that is its genius.
Old 11-03-18, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thing is this franchise isn’t necessarily one that needs to follow a certain set of characters. It’s just about the outbreak and different groups trying to survive it. It’s a very loose continuity but it works.
Old 11-04-18, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Maybe I'm being too hard on Living Dead Media.
This is not some big studio, but just the rights holders to the Night of the Living Dead property?
I mean, if there trying to generate interest in this potential film, I'll have to admit it's creative using the interesting in the Halloween interquel to promote, what probably is some urban legend about "the original writers and producers penning a sequel" to NOTLD. Alternate histories and unfinished films/sequels are always great fodder for the imagination.

If just feels a little intellectually dishonest considering the original film spawned not one but two sequel franchises.
But if there really was an original sequel written by John Russo and the two people who produced Night of the Living Dead AND it's an interesting script, then I'm all for it.

They have an uphill battle though, because how are they going to make an "official" Night of the Living Dead sequel that doesn't feel like just another generic zombie film? Didn't all the main characters die? Was there anything to build off from the ending of the original that people would think, "Oh yeah, this continues where Night of the Living Dead left off!"
Old 11-04-18, 03:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Not just that but it’s not like people are going to be excited about it because it’s from a script by the writers of Night of the Living Dead. Romero is the name attachment most have with the franchise.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.