Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Englund and Langenkamp both say they would be up for another Elm St. movie

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-18, 05:37 PM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts

Following the huge box office success of the Jamie Lee Curtis-starring Halloween sequel, you might imagine that stars of other horror franchises are keeping an eye on their phones in the hope of being asked to reprise their roles in a reboot. And, according to A Nightmare on Elm Street actress Heather Langenkamp, you’d be right.

“I’m sitting here like any other scream queen in Hollywood, hoping that they revive their franchise,” says Langenkamp, with a laugh. “I’m not alone! I know of lots of other horror heroines who have this little bit of spring in their step thinking about the chance of perhaps being in [new versions of] the movies that they helped make famous as young people. It’s kind of crazy, but it’s definitely something I would love to do.”

Lankenkamp originated the role of the Freddy Krueger-battling high schooler Nancy Thompson in the late writer-director Wes Craven’s original 1984 film and played the part again in 1987’s A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors, before finally portraying a version of herself in 1994’s meta-shocker Wes Craven’s New Nightmare. Robert Englund played Krueger in all three films, and starred as the dream-dwelling maniac in eight movies in all, including 2003’s monster mash-up Freddy vs. Jason. In the 2010 remake of A Nightmare on Elm Street the actor was replaced by Jackie Earle Haley, while Rooney Mara played “Nancy Holbrook.” But Englund recently played Freddy in an episode of The Goldbergs and seems willing to do so again on the big screen, if the project did justice to Craven’s creation.

“I see Robert all the time, we were just together in Baltimore (at a convention),” says Langenkamp. “He actually spoke for a quite a while at one of the panel discussions that we did about his yearning [to play Freddy], but also his commitment to always putting the best face on Freddy’s legacy. You know, he travels the world making fans happy with his presence and his charm. I think he’s probably the best advocate for how important Freddy is in our horror community, how Freddy Krueger changed the genre to be this incredible juggernaut of money-making for Hollywood. I do believe that Robert Englund and all the ’80s monsters really changed film history and I think they deserve even more recognition than they get. If the way to do that would be to have a Freddy movie for Robert Englund at this incredible point in his own life, I think it would be fantastic.”

Langenkamp isn’t just sitting around waiting for the call to play Nancy again. The actress is speaking with EW over the phone from AFX Studio, the effects company she runs with her Oscar-winning makeup artist husband, David LeRoy Anderson, which just wrapped work on the most recent season of American Horror Story. Langenkamp is also directing a short film called Washed Away, which he hopes to premiere early next year.

“I wouldn’t call it a horror movie, but it’s definitely a ghost story,” she says. “I have my final day of shooting this week and hopefully I’ll have that out in January. People out there are saying, ‘Oh, I’d hire women directors, if there were women directors.’ I decided I’d better go out and make something and show how much I want to direct. I used all my proceeds from the conventions that I did in the last two years to invest in my own little short film. I’m excited for people to see it.”

While it might be a little premature to suggest that Langenkamp could direct an Elm Street film, she wouldn’t be the first woman to do so. That blood-streaked glass ceiling was broken by Rachel Talalay, who oversaw 1991’s Freddy’s Dead: The Final Nightmare and in recent years has become an in-demand TV director, helming episodes of Doctor Who, Sherlock, The Flash, and, most recently, Chilling Adventures of Sabrina.

“Rachel [is] a trailblazer,” says Langenkamp. “Rachel not only was the first director, but she literally was part of New Line Cinema (the company which produced the franchise) from some of the earliest days. In fact, in the beginning, she worked in the accounting office. So, she’s a real inspiration, a woman finding her place, and moving her way up little by little by little by little, and then getting an amazing opportunity and taking it.”

So, will we see Heather Langenkamp playing Nancy Thompson again? According to the actress, your guess is currently as good as hers.

“I haven’t [heard anything about a new film],” she says. “I certainly keep up with friends at New Line Cinema, and so I would expect if Warner Bros. or New Line Cinema — whoever — would put something like that together, I would imagine that I would know. So, the fact that I don’t know leads me to believe that it’s probably not in the works.

“Of course, I love the character so much, and she’s definitely part of me, and as I grow old, she grows old inside. Every time Wes Craven used to call, and ask if I would be interested in playing Nancy one last time, I would often be incredibly excited about it. But I don’t know what forces in Hollywood are planning on that remake, or that rematch between Nancy and Freddy. I’m like my own fans. I just think, Wow, that would be neat!
https://ew.com/movies/2018/10/30/nig...obert-englund/

Ahead of this Wednesday’s Halloween episode of “The Goldbergs,” wherein Robert Englund stars as Freddy Krueger, Englund appeared on Access Live this afternoon, and he was naturally asked if he’d ever be up for playing Freddy one more time in another Nightmare on Elm Street film. Englund has been asked this same question multiple times over the years, but his answer this time was a little bit different. It seems he may not be fully retired after all.

“I think they want to reboot the franchise, but they’re gonna need a new actor,” Englund told the show’s hosts. “They’re gonna need a new actor to play Freddy because they’re gonna have to do eight of them. I might have one left in me… but yeah.”

What Englund is essentially saying here is that he wouldn’t be able to pull off playing Freddy for a whole new franchise at this point in his life, but he seems up to the task of at least getting back under the makeup and into the striped sweater for one more go at it on the big screen. Previously, Englund had been shooting down the idea entirely, even as a one-shot deal.

All I’m saying is, if New Line wants an $80 million, Halloween-style opening weekend, they’d be smart to bring back Englund for a proper Elm Street swan song. From there, the baton could be passed to another actor, perhaps another “Dream Demon” character entirely, but god damn would it be a missed opportunity to not take Englund up on his “one left in me” tease.

Hey, anything is possible in the world of horror.

You can watch the full chat on the Access website. https://www.accessonline.com/videos/...the-goldbergs/
https://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/...m-street-left/

There was another remake announce 3 years ago and there was some discussion about Englund here: https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk...-reboot-2.html, but I didn't want to derail that thread.
Old 10-31-18, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts
Re: Englund and Langenkamp both say they would be up for another Elm St. movie

That surprises me about Englund. I had thought I read something about him not wanting to play Freddy again. I know he has that cameo for The Goldbergs, but that’s a lot different than a full film.

Either way if it happens I’d be interested in seeing it. Curious if we’d get the more jokey Freddy or a more sinister version.
Old 10-31-18, 05:52 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Do it right like Halloween and I'd be down with that. Invite Depp for a return as well while they're at it. He could use the money.
Old 10-31-18, 06:18 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Count me in. I actually really like New Nightmare. That’s an exceptional film. Very Bunuelian.

There could be a sort of trilogy of actual good Freddy movies staring Englund and Langenkamp. The original film, New Nightmare, and this film.
Old 10-31-18, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts

Nancy is my favorite horror heroine, so I would totally be down to see this. I really enjoy Dream Warriors, so I'd feel a little conflicted if they had to ignore that to bring the character back. The original Elm Street films were never the clusterfuck the Halloween series turned into regarding alternate timelines. Maybe they could have her appear from a dream realm or something (though that wouldn't explain her being 30 years older). But if they needed to wipe the slate clean to make the story work, so be it.
Old 10-31-18, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,204 Likes on 2,068 Posts

I’ve never understood the “Englund is too old for Freddy” comments over the years. There’s so much makeup over his face age doesn’t matter and it’s not like Freddy is this incredibly action oriented character. Plus Englund hasn’t gained much weight over the years to make his Freddy look off.

I’d like to see them set a new movie in the 80s with a new group of 80s teens. Of course, I’m not sure how Langenkamp would fit in that unless she was playing a different character.

I’d prefer NOT to see another meta NoES.
Old 11-01-18, 01:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Freddy's not scary anymore if he's appearing on The Goldbergs.

The original three films were pretty good, but then they got campy with 4-6.
New Nightmare was okay. The updated Freddy look was great, and I liked that they got back to being more serious, but it wasn't that scary.

They had a chance to remake the series for modern audiences, but they messed up.
Old 11-01-18, 01:50 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I love New Nightmare and still prefer it to Scream. I would be interested in a sequel to Dream Warriors, which was the only other good Nightmare movie after the first and New Nightmare. I’d be disappointed if they went the same route as Halloween 2018 and ignored the other sequels, except maybe the Dream Child. That one can be forgotten.
Old 11-01-18, 04:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,732 Likes on 1,885 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
I love New Nightmare and still prefer it to Scream. I would be interested in a sequel to Dream Warriors, which was the only other good Nightmare movie after the first and New Nightmare. I’d be disappointed if they went the same route as Halloween 2018 and ignored the other sequels, except maybe the Dream Child. That one can be forgotten.
I was thinking they probably should go the Halloween 2018 route; do a direct follow-up to the original film with a middle-aged Nancy and her kid(s) that ignores all of the sequels, and drop the camp and wisecracks and make it scary again.

I don’t think I would want Dream Warriors kept in the continuity, seeing how Nancy died in it. They would have to do something like have her be living in the nightmares with Freddy, and I don’t think that would work for a revisit after thirty-five years. It needs to be a fresh sequel.

“After thirty years... he’s back.”
Old 11-01-18, 06:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I don’t know, I sort of hope that scrapping the sequels and doing direct sequels to just one film mentality doesn’t become a trend personally. The Nightmare series isn’t as messy as the Halloween series. It’s just got its share of bad movies. Not sure how you would bring back Nancy though.
Old 11-01-18, 07:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Lets do it. But don't ignore #3 which i feel is the best of the entire series. Yes I'm looking at you #1.

I also agree that the continuity of Nightmare even including FVJ is very clean and easy to understand.

Maybe Nancy didnt actually die in #3, wounded but faked death or something. A good script can make it work.
Old 11-01-18, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,732 Likes on 1,885 Posts

Why would Nancy fake her death?

Freddy is wholly supernatural and stalks his victims in their dreams. It’s not like she can enter the federal witness protection program and get away from him.
Old 11-01-18, 10:11 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I think you can bring her back pretty easily. Just say she narrowly survived the events of Dream Warriors but has been in a coma ever since. She’s had minimal brain activity so no dreaming. Then, the killing starts again, and suddenly, she wakes up.
Old 11-01-18, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Why would Nancy fake her death?

Freddy is wholly supernatural and stalks his victims in their dreams. It’s not like she can enter the federal witness protection program and get away from him.
I think you can bring her back pretty easily. Just say she narrowly survived the events of Dream Warriors but has been in a coma ever since. She’s had minimal brain activity so no dreaming. Then, the killing starts again, and suddenly, she wakes up.
See, that easy. A good writer can retcon her death in #3 and have it make sense.

It could also play on Freddy being weak in FVJ and her coming back gives him power again.
Old 11-01-18, 11:32 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

How about an "Into the Nightmare-Verse" movie where Englund's Freddy, Haley's Freddy, and "Scary Terry" all team up?
Old 11-01-18, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Groucho
How about an "Into the Nightmare-Verse" movie where Englund's Freddy, Haley's Freddy, and "Scary Terry" all team up?
I'd watch that, bitch!
Old 11-01-18, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts

Excellent. That is one I wold watch.
Old 11-01-18, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,077 Likes on 652 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabuse
There could be a sort of trilogy of actual good Freddy movies staring Englund and Langenkamp. The original film, New Nightmare, and this film.
There already is that...you left out Dream Warriors.
Old 11-01-18, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts

They'd have to retcon her funeral scene...
Old 11-01-18, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by joe_b
They'd have to retcon her funeral scene...
She dreamt it. Easy out with this franchise.
Old 11-01-18, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I was thinking they probably should go the Halloween 2018 route; do a direct follow-up to the original film with a middle-aged Nancy and her kid(s) that ignores all of the sequels, and drop the camp and wisecracks and make it scary again.

I don’t think I would want Dream Warriors kept in the continuity, seeing how Nancy died in it.
Originally Posted by stingermck
But don't ignore #3 which i feel is the best of the entire series. Yes I'm looking at you #1.
I wouldn't want Dream Warriors ignored. That was a great sequel, and yeah, arguably the best in the series.
Old 11-01-18, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Agreed about The Dream Warriors being the best of the franchise. The original is obviously memorable for being the first one, and I do like it but the third is the series firing on all cylinders. Good cast, cool setting, Freddy was a good balance of scary and funny, good kills, and of course the song.

Not really a fan of New Nightmare. It’s too meta for its own good in my opinion. Also never really liked the redesign of Freddy in that film.
Old 11-01-18, 04:40 PM
Banned

The best of the series is the original. Part 3 is just okay.
Old 11-01-18, 04:42 PM
Banned

do a direct follow-up to the original film with a middle-aged Nancy and her kid(s) that ignores all of the sequels, and drop the camp and wisecracks and make it scary again.
You just described New Nightmare to a “T”.
Old 11-01-18, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't see the a big reason for them to do another Freddy movie with Heather Langenkamp unless this latest Halloween film is a big hit, and NewLine wants to copy that formula.
Is it just for fans and nostalgia reasons?

The best of the series is the original. Part 3 is just okay.
The first one is great.
The visuals were amazing. Nancy's dream with Tina in the clear body bag, and Tina being dragged up the wall and on the ceiling while being slashed...really creative stuff.

Dream Warriors did have some goofy stuff like adding teenagers with superpowers. But the back story of Freddy's origin was a nice addition to his legend. And they managed top the visuals in the first one.

Freddy's Revenge is an odd ball, but has some genuinely creepy moments and chalk full of atmosphere.

You just described New Nightmare to a “T”.
Except it wasn't scary.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.